[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson: "I would leave today [if I were Carmelo]"...
Author Thread
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

4/24/2014  3:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2014  3:45 PM
If Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson were advising Carmelo Anthony, he'd tell him to leave the New York Knicks this summer.

"I would leave today [if I were Carmelo]," Roberston said on SiriusXM NBA radio Thursday. "... Let me tell you why: wherever that kid has gone, when he was at Denver, they had a team that fooled around with the ball, fooled around with the ball, then all of the sudden when they needed a basket, threw it to Carmelo. Then, when he shot the ball, they said he shot too much. Then when he didn't shoot they said he didn't shoot enough.

"No matter what he does in New York they're going to criticize him, the people are going to criticize him, because you got guys on [the Knicks] that cannot play. You got guys that are hurt all the time."

Anthony has said that he will opt out of the final year of his contract and test free agency this summer. The Houston Rockets, Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Clippers are among a group of teams expected to show interest in Anthony.

Robertson thinks Houston would be a perfect fit for Anthony, who was second in the NBA in scoring last season and pulled down a career-high 8.1 rebounds per game.

"If he goes to Houston, they're gonna win everything," Robertson told host and well-known Knicks fan Spike Lee. "You look at LeBron [James], LeBron's got a great game and the kid down at Oklahoma, [Kevin] Durant's got a great game -- they can't out-shoot Carmelo. ... I've seen him in a lot of basketball games over the years and I'm telling you right now the kid, he just can get that shot away. Now he's gotten smarter, he's going to the basket a lot. But what gets me is that everyone thinks that everything that happens bad is his fault."

Anthony has said that his top priority is to re-sign with the Knicks. But he'd also like to have assurances from Knicks president Phil Jackson that the team is committed to building a perennial contender around him before he re-signs.

Anthony suggested in February that he would take a pay cut to remain with the Knicks. Jackson on Wednesday said he hopes the All-Star forward follows through with that idea.

"I think [there is] a precedent that's been set," Jackson said of stars taking less money to join or remain with contending teams. "Because the way things have been structured now financially for teams is that it's really hard to have one or two top stars or max players, and to put together a team with enough talent, you've got to have people making sacrifices financially.

"So we hope that Carmelo is true to his word and we understand what it's going to take, and we will present that to him at that time."

Anthony has been complimentary of Jackson since the 13-time NBA champ took over as Knicks president last month.

He called the Knicks' hiring of Jackson a 'power move' in March.

But Robertson, a 12-time All Star, downplayed Jackson's potential impact on Anthony's free agency.

"Let me ask you: When was the last time Phil Jackson played? ... I think Phil is great to have gotten $12 million out of [Knicks owner Jim Dolan]. Super job. Take the money and run," Roberston said. "If I were Carmelo I would say, 'Listen, I'm not gonna stay here and take all this gruff and all this criticism. You got other guys on this team making $12, $15, $16 million and doing nothing, and here I am averaging 28, 29 points per game.' "

Regarding a pay cut, if Anthony took less money to re-sign with the Knicks this summer, it wouldn't help the team's cap situation for 2014-15.

Unless Anthony takes a significant pay cut, the team is expected to be over the salary cap thanks in part to commitments next season to Amar'e Stoudemire ($23.4 million), Tyson Chandler ($14.6 million) and Andrea Bargnani ($11.5 million).

Anthony can sign a max contract worth $129 million over five years. If he signs with another team, the maximum he can earn is $95.8 million over four years.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10833312/oscar-robertson-says-carmelo-anthony-bolt-new-york-knicks

AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/24/2014  3:48 PM
Would love to hear that interview. Do you have a link?

What the hell does this Oscar Melo-Lover Wiener know anyway ?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
holfresh

4/24/2014  3:51 PM
mreinman wrote:Would love to hear that interview. Do you have a link?

Considered the greatest of all time before MJ came along...Averaged a triple double for an entire season..Yeah, what does he know...

mreinman

4/24/2014  3:59 PM
holfresh wrote:

Considered the greatest of all time before MJ came along...Averaged a triple double for an entire season..Yeah, what does he know...

you know that was sarcasm on my part right?

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/24/2014  4:07 PM
The Big O is old. He doesn't count. I have more knowledge than him in my pinky than him with his eye-ball assessment. I am just kidding. That is Oscar's opinion and like it or not that is how he feels. We can argue how we feel about Melo again in this thread for the umpteenth time or we can just respect Oscar's opinion.
holfresh

4/24/2014  4:07 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:

you know that was sarcasm on my part right?

No ..I read crazy stuff in the forum all day..

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/24/2014  4:09 PM

I didn't read your post but made a similar comment. I do not like that at all. You kinda think like me or I you and that's not cool. No more +1s from me pal or lols.

mreinman

4/24/2014  4:11 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:

I didn't read your post but made a similar comment. I do not like that at all. You kinda think like me or I you and that's not cool. No more +1s from me pal or lols.

Bingo.

Bango!

You said it and I cosigned so I get credit that you said it. ROFL LOL

OT: I do think that Oscar is right and as I we discussed yesterday, he fits the best in Houston (though I think that he ends up in Chicago).

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2014  4:15 PM
Oscar is 75 years young these days. Im sure like most seniors they form opinion based on their own experiences.

He was THE MAN in Cincinatti for many years and only until he got with a Lou Alcinder did he win. He carried the Royals for years eventually leaving on a bitter note. The "Oscar Robertson Suit" pertains to the antitrust action that granted free agency to players and delayed the NBA-ABA merger.

Oscar is a bit senstitive to the blame he endured in Cincy as a great player on a losing team. He never had team around him.

He is one of the basketball gods. Think Magic with a smaller version of Lebron's body.

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
4/24/2014  4:20 PM
one of the greatest of all time. 14 seasons an allstar 12 times. 10 playoff appearances. 1 title with kareem.

however, in addition to missing the playoffs 4 times, 5 of the playoffs he did make his teams didn't make it out of the first round. back then there were fewer teams and a better concentration of talent.

the remaining five playoff appearances he did pretty well, although the russell-led celtic teams were always waiting for him.

he and chamberlain are two special exceptions to the rule of great players having to have won something. that said, i can't help but think that mr. robertson is somehow identifying with melo to a degree that clouds judgment, advising vicariously.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

4/24/2014  4:22 PM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Bingo.

Bango!

OT: I do think that Oscar is right and as I we discussed yesterday, he fits the best in Houston (though I think that he ends up in Chicago).

Chicago has their own and Charlotte's 1st rd pick. Both are better then Houston's. Plus they will be under the cap and we would't have to take back much salary if they amnesty Boozer. (unless I got the CBA wrong). I would prefer the picks and maintaining cap flexibility for 2015 over any Houston package...Not to mention, Chacago would be easier to deal with.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/24/2014  4:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2014  4:25 PM
Yeah, there's no reason (other than money) to work for Dolan. Heck, I'd leave today if I were Phil
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/24/2014  4:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/24/2014  4:27 PM
How old is oscar 70+?

Does he know what a salary cap?

mreinman

4/24/2014  4:25 PM
Rookie wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Bingo.

Bango!

Chicago has their own and Charlotte's 1st rd pick. Both are better then Houston's. Plus they will be under the cap and we would't have to take back much salary if they amnesty Boozer. (unless I got the CBA wrong). I would prefer the picks and maintaining cap flexibility for 2015 over any Houston package...Not to mention, Chacago would be easier to deal with.

I think that Morey will fleece us.

I was just saying that I think that Melo is better fit for Houston's style and players than Chicago.

I also don't have much confidence in DRoses health.

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/24/2014  4:32 PM
Oscar mayer bolonga, are you serious, that is worse piece of advice i ever heard from a HOF..
ES
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

4/24/2014  4:33 PM
mreinman wrote:
Rookie wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Bingo.

Bango!

I was just saying that I think that Melo is better fit for Houston's style and players than Chicago.

It would be ironic if the Knicks win a title before Melo I do think Melo see's himself as more of a blue collar type player in the mold of Chicago. I do hope he chooses Chicago because Morey won't give up shat. He'll be like 'take what I giive you or let him walk for nothing'.

mreinman

4/24/2014  4:36 PM
Rookie wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Rookie wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Bingo.

Bango!

It would be ironic if the Knicks win a title before Melo I do think Melo see's himself as more of a blue collar type player in the mold of Chicago. I do hope he chooses Chicago because Morey won't give up shat. He'll be like 'take what I giive you or let him walk for nothing'.

I kind of agree with you. And, I don't think that we can get as much as we think in a S&T.

We may lose him for bubkis or have to sign him to the max. I don't like either prospect.

mreinman

4/24/2014  4:37 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Oscar mayer bolonga, are you serious, that is worse piece of advice i ever heard from a HOF..

why is that bad advice?

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2014  4:41 PM
Reinsdorf is flat out cheap/smart/Profitable and eating booze's 17mil AND paying another 17-20mil is only Dolanesque!

Not many owners can eat that.

I'd be suprised if he did.

Charlottes pick is not lottery.

IF Bulls want Melo they can give us Booze but they better sweeten it up. They got a blue chip Euro, a no. 1 pick and Butler and we good.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Odds are Melo stays.

mreinman

4/24/2014  4:42 PM
Nalod wrote:Reinsdorf is flat out cheap/smart/Profitable and eating booze's 17mil AND paying another 17-20mil is only Dolanesque!

Not many owners can eat that.

I'd be suprised if he did.

Charlottes pick is not lottery.

IF Bulls want Melo they can give us Booze but they better sweeten it up. They got a blue chip Euro, a no. 1 pick and Butler and we good.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Odds are Melo stays.

For > 20 mil or <?

Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson: "I would leave today [if I were Carmelo]"...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy