[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Steve Kerr: Melo and Stat Bad Fit
Author Thread
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/23/2014  3:51 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/melo-amar-bad-fit-knicks-kerr-article-1.1245968

Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire ‘a bad fit’ for NY Knicks, says Steve Kerr, who also thinks Miami Heat is clear favorite to win the East
Kerr added that the Knicks, and not the troubled Celtics, represent the toughest challenge to the Heat.
BY FRANK ISOLA NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 3:24 PM A A A

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 03: Amar'e Stoudemire #1 and Carmelo Anthony #7 of the New York Knicks celebrate a basket late in the game against the San Antonio Spurs at Madison Square Garden on January 3, 2013 in New York City. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. The Knicks fdefeated the Spurs 100-83. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
BRUCE BENNETT/GETTY IMAGES
Try as they might, Amar'e Stoudemire (l.) and Carmelo Anthony don't play well together, says Kerr.
Steve Kerr sees the Knicks having the same problem today that they had in the '90s when Michael Jordan ruled the NBA.
"I don't think anyone in the East can beat LeBron and Miami four times in a playoff series," said Kerr, the TNT analyst who will work Thursday's Knicks-Celtics game.
The Knicks are 2-0 against the league's defending champs and the reigning MVP this season including a win in Miami with Carmelo Anthony sidelined. But Kerr believes the speed of the game and Miami's defense makes the Heat the clear favorites in the East. Last season, Miami eliminated the Knicks in five games.
Kerr added that the Knicks, and not the troubled Celtics, represent the toughest challenge to the Heat. But Kerr remains skeptical that the Carmelo-Amar'e Stoudemire tandem will flourish.
"It's a bad fit," said Kerr, the former Suns GM. "You can look at the stats when they're on the court or just look with your own eyes to know they're not an ideal fit."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/melo-amar-bad-fit-knicks-kerr-article-1.1245968#ixzz2zjzg34PE

so here is what phil is thinking ....
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
4/23/2014  3:53 PM
That changed the second half of this season, partly because Melo became a better 3 point shooter and Amar'e developed a post up game. They played well together the last 20 games.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/23/2014  4:03 PM
Thanks reinman. Was looking for Kerr comments on the Knicks in recent years
mreinman

4/23/2014  4:08 PM
You can look at the stats when they're on the court

Looks like he looks at these stats which is really nice.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/23/2014  4:15 PM
Can he fix it? Thats all I want to know.

Amare is gone after next year.

mreinman

4/23/2014  4:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  4:17 PM
I hope that we are not getting him just for next year and it is post amare (or post Melo) that we care about.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/23/2014  4:22 PM
IT was on TV.

I once said I would never eat Olives, now I love them!

Get Amare and Melo funkasized in the rhythm of the Triangle goodness and see them as "ONE"

"GONG"...........

Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
4/23/2014  4:24 PM
Phil said basically the same thing.

"They don't fit together well. (Amare) Stoudemire doesn't fit well with Carmelo (Anthony)," said Jackson, when asked to expand on "clumsy." "Stoudemire's a really good player. But he's gotta play in a certain system and a way.

"Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can't stop every time it hits his hands. They need to have someone come in that can kinda blend that group together."

PURE KNICKS LOVE
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/23/2014  4:32 PM
mreinman wrote:

Those comments were a year ago before people saw Amar'e post game and before Melo shown he is one of the best catch and shoot players.

Anyway, does anyone feel like posting some Amare/Melo #'s?

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/23/2014  4:39 PM
Melo/Amare PnR is Stellar!!! Now that Phil is here and paying more than passing attention, he has a better feel for our players. I'm sure he sees things slightly different now. Would love to see what he thinks of everyone on the roster.
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/23/2014  5:02 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

Those comments were a year ago before people saw Amar'e post game and before Melo shown he is one of the best catch and shoot players.

I think a lot of people jump the gun on the the pair playing together.. they did look pretty bad in the beginging, the numbers were very mediocre and the record indicated it..as a matter of fact when amare came back last year(in late dec) we were a .500 team for months, Then he went down again and we were a .700 team in march and april of 2013..

ES
yellowboy90

4/23/2014  5:15 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

I think a lot of people jump the gun on the the pair playing together.. they did look pretty bad in the beginging, the numbers were very mediocre and the record indicated it..as a matter of fact when amare came back last year(in late dec) we were a .500 team for months, Then he went down again and we were a .700 team in march and april of 2013..

Steve Kerr has said he like to read Zack Lowe, who does a good job of putting stats together with game film, so that's a good sign. What really hurts the pairing is Amare's defense.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/23/2014  5:47 PM
If Melo and Stat were bad tell me how good Melo and Bargs were.
mreinman

4/23/2014  6:35 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

Steve Kerr has said he like to read Zack Lowe, who does a good job of putting stats together with game film, so that's a good sign. What really hurts the pairing is Amare's defense.

Bingo!

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/23/2014  7:32 PM
Melo and STAT playing in a structured system like the Triangle would make it work a lot better. The reason Phil likes it so much is cuz guys aren't just standing around watching Melo. The Triangle has everyone involved with off ball motion and great spacing. There are rules for what players should do depending upon what the defense does and as players master the responses to every defensive move they get to be second nature. The responses to the defense get faster the more players play in the system and develop chemistry. In any event any new coach won't have to worry about that pairing for long, so it's not a big issue IMO.
mreinman

4/23/2014  7:36 PM
nixluva wrote:Melo and STAT playing in a structured system like the Triangle would make it work a lot better. The reason Phil likes it so much is cuz guys aren't just standing around watching Melo. The Triangle has everyone involved with off ball motion and great spacing. There are rules for what players should do depending upon what the defense does and as players master the responses to every defensive move they get to be second nature. The responses to the defense get faster the more players play in the system and develop chemistry. In any event any new coach won't have to worry about that pairing for long, so it's not a big issue IMO.

Stat is and has always been an awful passer. Don't you think that this is an issue for the triangle?

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/23/2014  9:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  9:05 PM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:Melo and STAT playing in a structured system like the Triangle would make it work a lot better. The reason Phil likes it so much is cuz guys aren't just standing around watching Melo. The Triangle has everyone involved with off ball motion and great spacing. There are rules for what players should do depending upon what the defense does and as players master the responses to every defensive move they get to be second nature. The responses to the defense get faster the more players play in the system and develop chemistry. In any event any new coach won't have to worry about that pairing for long, so it's not a big issue IMO.

Stat is and has always been an awful passer. Don't you think that this is an issue for the triangle?

In another thread you said he doesn't pass at all or clearly not enough, now your saying is an awful passer.

The object with those two is to sacrifice, and capitalize on each others presence. They have to become role players when there both on the floor. Too many times woodson would constantly go to melo and amare would get 6 shots, then when melo feels like it he starts forcing bad pass to amare just to get him involved, making them look clumsy at times. It's like they don't know their role when the play together.

But I will admit, they looked much better coming down the stretch of the season.

ES
mreinman

4/23/2014  9:08 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

In another thread you said he doesn't pass at all or clearly not enough, now your saying is an awful passer.

what is the difference?

His passing game is awful.

yellowboy90

4/23/2014  10:19 PM
mreinman wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

what is the difference?

His passing game is awful.

Was Horace Grant a great passer? What about stacey King or CLiff Livingston? I seriously do not remember.

tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/23/2014  10:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  10:30 PM
Nalod wrote:IT was on TV.

I once said I would never eat Olives, now I love them!

Get Amare and Melo funkasized in the rhythm of the Triangle goodness and see them as "ONE"

"GONG"...........

years ago I heard them say oil and water don't mix...... I tried it years later.. still don't mix..

I also heard square pegs don't fit in round holes... tried that too.... it still don't fit...

I heard the glove didn't fit oj.... they tried it... guess what?

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Steve Kerr: Melo and Stat Bad Fit

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy