[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Phil's Wednesday Press conference
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
4/23/2014  1:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  1:37 PM
Phil spoke to the media this morning- here is a video of it:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10827868/phil-jackson-president-new-york-knicks-says-james-dolan-keeping-promise

The interesting bits for me:

-denies Isola's piece claiming Dolan won't let him make decisions
- On Melo, says:

Jackson said he hopes Anthony sticks with what he has said in the past about willing to take less money to help give the team more flexibility.
"If it's in the cards, man, are we fortunate," Jackson said. "If it's not in the cards, man, are we fortunate and we're going forward anyway."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/phil-jackson-confirms-steve-kerr-as-knicks-coaching-candidate-1.7800978

So looks like he has zero interest in signing Melo for the max- either he signs for less, or he goes.

-On what he wants from our next coach:

Jackson admitted he’s not looking for a coaching retread and likes that Kerr comes in with an open mind, having never been a head coach, just a general manager with the Phoenix Suns.
“We get caught up in replicating what others do,’’ Jackson said. “I’m not looking for a coach to do that.’’
Jackson said he’s also looking for a coach with “charismatic appeal.’’
“We’re looking for a leader,’’ Jackson said. “Someone who can bring out the best in players. Someone who has a unique ability in encouraging staff to meet needs players have. New York demands a personality, a person fans can believe in, a person who has some confidence and charismatic appeal and has a forward-looking idea about the game.”

http://nypost.com/2014/04/23/phil-jackson-to-check-on-steve-kerrs-desire-to-coach/

-basically told Tyson to pack his bags and prepare to be traded, saying something along the lines of he only wants players who want to be here and want to go in the direction the team is going in, and buy into it 100%. Good riddens!

AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/23/2014  1:38 PM
smackeddog wrote:Phil spoke to the media this morning- here is a video of it:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10827868/phil-jackson-president-new-york-knicks-says-james-dolan-keeping-promise

- On Melo, says:

Jackson said he hopes Anthony sticks with what he has said in the past about willing to take less money to help give the team more flexibility.
"If it's in the cards, man, are we fortunate," Jackson said. "If it's not in the cards, man, are we fortunate and we're going forward anyway."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/phil-jackson-confirms-steve-kerr-as-knicks-coaching-candidate-1.7800978

So looks like he has zero interest in signing Melo for the max- either he signs for less, or he goes.

Jackson admitted he’s not looking for a coaching retread and likes that Kerr comes in with an open mind, having never been a head coach, just a general manager with the Phoenix Suns.
“We get caught up in replicating what others do,’’ Jackson said. “I’m not looking for a coach to do that.’’
“We’re looking for a leader,’’ Jackson said. “Someone who can bring out the best in players. Someone who has a unique ability in encouraging staff to meet needs players have. New York demands a personality, a person fans can believe in, a person who has some confidence and charismatic appeal and has a forward-looking idea about the game.”

http://nypost.com/2014/04/23/phil-jackson-to-check-on-steve-kerrs-desire-to-coach/

-basically told Tyson to pack his bags and prepare to be traded, saying something along the lines of he only wants players who want to be here and want to go in the direction the team is going in, and buy into it 100%. Good riddens!

ahh he did not sound or look top convincing about Dolan not meddling. He made sure to say *basketball decisions* and he looked down when he talked--a sure fire way to know someone might not be completely honest.

RIP Crushalot😞
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/23/2014  1:41 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Phil spoke to the media this morning- here is a video of it:

- On Melo, says:

ahh he did not sound or look top convincing about Dolan not meddling. He made sure to say *basketball decisions* and he looked down when he talked--a sure fire way to know someone might not be completely honest.

holfresh
Member: #1081

4/23/2014  1:43 PM
Jeanie Buss asked him to coach the team last weekend...
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/23/2014  1:44 PM
holfresh wrote:Jeanie Buss asked him to coach the team last weekend...

I think that may have been a joke (or a zen joke)

so here is what phil is thinking ....
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/23/2014  1:53 PM
I like that he has such clear vision for what he wants the team to be and the kind of coaches he wants. IMO "buy in" is extremely important. Phil is gonna try to convince but if someone doesn't want to buy in they will be gone. That's something we haven't had in years. A President and all the way down to the last man on the roster who are all on the same page.
holfresh

4/23/2014  1:58 PM
mreinman wrote:

Wasn't a joke..I was listening to the interview...He was asked why asked him to do that ..He said she feels that he would have a better chance succeeding in what he was trying to do...He said as of now, he isn't coaching...He didn't close the door..

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/23/2014  1:59 PM
I'm waiting on the moment Phil uses his zen on Isola and other media types to put them in their place
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  2:02 PM
Man I'm loving Phil Jackson. Loving the Comments on Melo. My sentiments exactly. He is not maxing out Melo because of some warped Dolan Logic of what $$$$ value he means to the franchise
toad
Member: #4338

4/23/2014  2:03 PM
He's not offering Melo the max. That's good to hear.
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  2:04 PM
Oh man this is great. Phil feels exactly the same way as I do in regards to what he is looking for in a coach. No retreads! Charismatic, energetic young coaching mind and leader YES!!!!!
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

4/23/2014  2:05 PM
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:

Wasn't a joke..I was listening to the interview...He was asked why asked him to do that ..He said she feels that he would have a better chance succeeding in what he was trying to do...He said as of now, he isn't coaching...He didn't close the door..

Yeah - I listened to it. Still thought it may have been tongue and cheek. He loves talking about her.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
toad
Member: #4338

4/23/2014  2:06 PM
He's looking for a much more systematic offense. Talking team.
gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  2:09 PM
I think there is more risk with Phil coaching this roster unless he finds a Jordan/Kobe etc. He fails as president he is still the winniest coach. He fails as coach people will continue to question if he can win without megastars
holfresh

4/23/2014  2:11 PM
mreinman wrote:
holfresh wrote:
mreinman wrote:

Yeah - I listened to it. Still thought it may have been tongue and cheek. He loves talking about her.

Broussard just said initially thought was a joke until he went on..Broussard said he was serious ..
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/23/2014  2:13 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Man I'm loving Phil Jackson. Loving the Comments on Melo. My sentiments exactly. He is not maxing out Melo because of some warped Dolan Logic of what $$$$ value he means to the franchise

Yup. Loving this already.

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  2:17 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Man I'm loving Phil Jackson. Loving the Comments on Melo. My sentiments exactly. He is not maxing out Melo because of some warped Dolan Logic of what $$$$ value he means to the franchise

Yup. Loving this already.

Love it. Phil is not concerned with Melos free agency parading

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/23/2014  2:20 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Oh man this is great. Phil feels exactly the same way as I do in regards to what he is looking for in a coach. No retreads! Charismatic, energetic young coaching mind and leader YES!!!!!

Love his comments too- the only thing is- does Kerr really fit that description? I just don't find him very charismatic.

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  2:21 PM
smackeddog wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:Oh man this is great. Phil feels exactly the same way as I do in regards to what he is looking for in a coach. No retreads! Charismatic, energetic young coaching mind and leader YES!!!!!

Love his comments too- the only thing is- does Kerr really fit that description? I just don't find him very charismatic.

I'm wondering the same thing but if Phil chooses him I ain't questioning him!

gunsnewing
USA
4/23/2014  2:22 PM
Nice breakdown of the pressed by the way. I missed it so much appreciated Smack
Phil's Wednesday Press conference

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy