Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/22/2014  11:21 AM

ESPN.com: New York Knicks [Print without images]

Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Analysis: How the Knicks fit into a triangle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Ohm Youngmisuk

TORONTO -- The Mike Woodson era is over.

The triangle era is nearly upon us.

On the day he was hired as the New York Knicks' president, Phil Jackson made it no secret he wants to see the team play system basketball. Unfortunately for the franchise, the Zen Master says he’s not entertaining any thoughts about returning to the bench. But it makes all the sense in the world to hire one of his former disciples (Steve Kerr?) and then help the new coach install and teach the triangle offense.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at how some of the Knicks' current pieces fit, or don’t fit, in the triangle assuming that the core -- and Carmelo Anthony -- of the team is intact for next season:

Anthony
Melo: Without a doubt, it will be a transition for Anthony. But Jackson’s championship teams were always built around an incredible scoring talent. Can Anthony follow in the footsteps of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant?

If we're talking about his ability to play in the triangle, I think he can. He can direct the offense and work within the system's principles and find enough opportunities to pick and choose his spots. He might not be as athletic, graceful or as high-flying as Jordan and Bryant. Melo is more of a bull inside compared to those two. However, Melo is excellent at scoring on his man -- like MJ and Kobe -- and should be able to work out of the post like Jordan did at times.

Anthony will have to improve his passing, trust his teammates and will need them to make plays and make the right decisions in the triangle. Patience, which is a major requirement of Jackson, will be a must. Melo has said if he re-signs, he will do whatever Phil asks of him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stoudemire
Amar'e: Amar'e Stoudemire has thrived in pick-and-roll situations. But he can score in the low post and shoot the mid-range jumper -- two things he should get out of the triangle. Stoudemire will have to improve his passing. He might not be able to pass like Pau Gasol did for Jackson’s Los Angeles Lakers championship teams, but Jackson won his first three titles with the Chicago Bulls with Horace Grant and Bill Cartwright as his primary power forward and center.

Grant improved his mid-range jumper in the triangle. And Stoudemire should be able to get open shots in the system. Andrea Bargnani might also benefit from the triangle as well.

Smith
J.R.: What the Knicks currently lack -- and what many of Jackson’s teams had -- is a versatile swing man. Obviously there is no Scottie Pippen on the roster. The Knicks don’t even have anybody as versatile as Toni Kukoc. They could even use a Rick Fox-type. Jackson typically has a swing man who can do a little of everything.

J.R. Smith does provide the Knicks with outside shooting and the ability to slash to the basket. Jackson’s teams had some great spot-up shooters, such as John Paxson, Craig Hodges, B.J. Armstrong, Robert Horry and Glen Rice.

Smith will need to be patient and take fewer quick shots without passing. He has to be able to play without the ball and move. But if Smith can pick up the triangle, he will be able to also pick and choose spots to score within the offense. All of this can be said for Iman Shumpert and Tim Hardaway Jr. Jackson did sign Lamar Odom, but it remains to be seen what Odom has left in the tank and in the head.

Felton
Raymond Felton: Jackson’s point guards during his championship years included the likes of Paxson, Armstrong, Kerr, Ron Harper, Derek Fisher and Brian Shaw. In other words, Jackson doesn’t need an elite point guard or an incredible talent at the 1 with the triangle. But he does need a smart point guard, and one who can preferably hit open shots from the outside.

Raymond Felton’s future is a bit uncertain given his legal situation. And his outside shooting has to improve. Jackson could bring in a veteran point guard to help, much in the way he used Harper on his teams.

Defense: The Knicks have to improve defensively. Jordan and Pippen were all-time defenders. But Jackson’s teams have always had some good defenders from Grant to Dennis Rodman to a younger Harper. Many of them were able to get steals and force turnovers that led to momentum-changing breaks.

Shumpert could be the next defender to shine under Jackson’s watch.

Shumpert
“I’m still a coach that believes in pressure defense,” Jackson said recently. “Anticipation, turnovers become run-outs. I was able to tell Iman that’s what has to be seen on a basis that we’d like to see from game to game.”

“The triangle offense is one of the best offenses to run because of its balance and because players can play defense out of an offense like that,” Jackson later added. “Instead of having stretched players who are standing in corners and have to recover from a difficult situation, you have guys that are in balance and there is an opportunity to defend from your offense.”

On Jackson's Bulls teams, Grant and Scott Williams provided energy, shot-blocking and rebounding. And of course, Jackson had Rodman for the second Bulls' three-peat. Tyson Chandler should be able to duplicate some of those things but will also need to improve on his passing.

“I think anybody can fit in it,” Chandler said. “I played in a triangle when I was younger in my Chicago days. It is equal opportunity. It allows the game to dictate who takes the shot, and everybody else understands that and understands how to play off of it and I think that will be beneficial for this team.”

AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/22/2014  11:32 AM
here is something the Knicks have lacked for a long time - quick & smart decision making with the ball, and then passing with purpose.

I've seen Melo do this at times, Amar'e too a bit. JR at times. But I think its hard for guys to play all game long with their eyes wide open and thinking, reacting intuitively.

That is the question - are they strong enough mentally to run this kind of system.

And I think if you can teach college kids this system, then pros can learn - if given enough time, practice and training.

Nalod
USA
4/22/2014  11:41 AM
YOu run a system from day one and if you go 0-20 you keep it until it clicks!!!!!

Summer league, Dleague all will run this.

This is for melo to decide if he wants to be a part of it. Jax can burn incense and feed Melo books but Kerr will be the game time coach.

I can roll with Lebron, JR and Amare/Bargnani with Tyson cleaning up If Melo don't want to be here. JImmer can get looks with this.

I hope Miami goes out early and the writing on the wall is that Miami is shot. Of course, Wade can leave and Melo can go south. Same for Bosh.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
4/22/2014  11:49 AM
We go 0-20 and PJax will be drawing triangles with Larry Brown at the Mc'D's drive thru. $60 million or no. Our beloved little man owner may talk a great game, but I doubt he stays inactive through that. Even he allowed his magic mentor IT to get driven out.

Waiting for Lebron? Really? Didn't we play that tune already?
Where exactly is Wade going and who's buying at this point?

Bosh/Bargs? We talkin' bout Bosh/Bargs?

I have given up on the dream that Bargs was going to be the Gallo we never had...

Nalod
USA
4/22/2014  11:58 AM
jrodmc wrote:We go 0-20 and PJax will be drawing triangles with Larry Brown at the Mc'D's drive thru. $60 million or no. Our beloved little man owner may talk a great game, but I doubt he stays inactive through that. Even he allowed his magic mentor IT to get driven out.

I have given up on the dream that Bargs was going to be the Gallo we never had...

Not really talking BOsh here, Just saying he might want to be paid and leave Miami. Elsewhere perhaps.

Chicago paying 17mil to amnesty Booze does not jive with Reinsdorf's philosphy in my opinion. Do bulls think Melo is the missing piece?
Would it make sense to take back Booze for one year, plus some nice goodies to grow with? Tyson on a one year deal left could still have some good value to a playoff team with some nice assets.

Its a big puzzle and Im just throwing out a lot of crap. For all we know Melo is gone because we want him gone and there is a plan in place to attempt. This Chess game will be fun to see unfold.

0-20? The Little man will be briefed at seasons start. YOu'll see it in preseason so it won't be a suprise.

PHil didn't come to NY without a plan. They are just not sharing it.

jrodmc
USA
4/22/2014  2:48 PM
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:We go 0-20 and PJax will be drawing triangles with Larry Brown at the Mc'D's drive thru. $60 million or no. Our beloved little man owner may talk a great game, but I doubt he stays inactive through that. Even he allowed his magic mentor IT to get driven out.

Not really talking BOsh here, Just saying he might want to be paid and leave Miami. Elsewhere perhaps.

Chicago paying 17mil to amnesty Booze does not jive with Reinsdorf's philosphy in my opinion. Do bulls think Melo is the missing piece?
Would it make sense to take back Booze for one year, plus some nice goodies to grow with? Tyson on a one year deal left could still have some good value to a playoff team with some nice assets.

Its a big puzzle and Im just throwing out a lot of crap. For all we know Melo is gone because we want him gone and there is a plan in place to attempt. This Chess game will be fun to see unfold.

0-20? The Little man will be briefed at seasons start. YOu'll see it in preseason so it won't be a suprise.

Does any GM really look at Chris Bosh and his two LeQ rings and take him seriously enough to part with real money? Just asking.

Lamar Odom. Metta. Pau Gasol. Steve Kerr. I realize it's terribly early, but 'm not liking what's being shared so far.

JS3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5692

4/22/2014  3:12 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Does any GM really look at Chris Bosh and his two LeQ rings and take him seriously enough to part with real money? Just asking.

Lamar Odom. Metta. Pau Gasol. Steve Kerr. I realize it's terribly early, but 'm not liking what's being shared so far.

Its playoff time, any early exit surprises may cause trade talks of some stars, bear with it, we will try to make it a good franchise with a bb plan, not just iso ball and no system, plus its a long term but no rebuilding the next year, just testing a new system

Nalod
USA
4/22/2014  4:19 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Metta not coming back except to ride the pine. Lamar is a nice Zen thing to do, help a former player get his life back together and teach the yoot how the triangle works, or not leave track marks on your arm? Kerr got you worried? YOu wanted a starphuch coach?

Fresh start!!!!!

DrAlphaeus
Alba Posts: 10
Member: #1781

4/22/2014  4:20 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:

SOMBER ALERT! How dare you have doubts?!? The announcement of Phil at the helm of the Knickerbockers was the ONE OF THE GREATEST DAYS IN FRANCHISE HISTORY!!!

Baba Booey 2016 — "It's Silly Season"
jrodmc
USA
4/23/2014  10:04 AM
DrAlphaeus wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:

SOMBER ALERT! How dare you have doubts?!? The announcement of Phil at the helm of the Knickerbockers was the ONE OF THE GREATEST DAYS IN FRANCHISE HISTORY!!!

After living through the IT debacle, I always reserve the right to management Somberism. It comes free with our ownership package.

And looky, looky, looky...we have our first reported Dolanesque/PJax spat. Over...Herb Williams. And we didn't even get to the first 0-1 of 0-20.

jrodmc
USA
4/23/2014  10:23 AM
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Metta not coming back except to ride the pine. Lamar is a nice Zen thing to do, help a former player get his life back together and teach the yoot how the triangle works, or not leave track marks on your arm? Kerr got you worried? YOu wanted a starphuch coach?

Fresh start!!!!!

So Metta rides pine under Woody and is gone, but will ride pine with PJax/Kerr and stay? Are we talking about the mentally imbalanced one, or no?

Steve Kerr. I guess complete rookie ex-player coaches are all the rage now, huh? And I'm not campaigning for the likes of Brian Shaw or Jim Cleamons, either. Couldn't we at least entertain someone who's won at some level? Did Steve even coach any of his kid's teams?

Anyone in the college ranks running the triangle and won anything? I'd even take an obscure NCAA division champ. I have fond memories of Pitino.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/23/2014  10:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2014  10:34 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Fresh start!!!!!

So Metta rides pine under Woody and is gone, but will ride pine with PJax/Kerr and stay? Are we talking about the mentally imbalanced one, or no?

Steve Kerr. I guess complete rookie ex-player coaches are all the rage now, huh? And I'm not campaigning for the likes of Brian Shaw or Jim Cleamons, either. Couldn't we at least entertain someone who's won at some level? Did Steve even coach any of his kid's teams?

Anyone in the college ranks running the triangle and won anything? I'd even take an obscure NCAA division champ. I have fond memories of Pitino.

Well, there's always Coach Calipari. No triangle but he has experience motivating pros.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
jrodmc
USA
4/23/2014  2:32 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Fresh start!!!!!

Well, there's always Coach Calipari. No triangle but he has experience motivating pros.

No ex-Nyets! Please, anything but that!

Nalod
USA
4/23/2014  10:13 PM
jrodmc wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Fresh start!!!!!

No ex-Nyets! Please, anything but that!

Phil did a stint as Nets Assistant coach before Albany gig.
Trianglulation Station

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy