[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Gasol open to re-union with Phil...
Author Thread
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

4/18/2014  1:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/18/2014  1:25 AM
Say it ain't so...

LOS ANGELES – Pau Gasol felt nostalgic in what he admitted might have been his last day with the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday. He's also excited about his impending free agency and is open to a reunion with former Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who now runs the New York Knicks' front office.
"I'm happy for him and the position that he got," Gasol said. "I'm always going to be a big fan and a friend. I would listen."
Gasol completed his seventh season with the Lakers averaging 17.4 points and 9.7 rebounds in 60 games. He won two titles with the Lakers under Jackson, but the latter part of his tenure in L.A. has been clouded by constant trade speculation, including a near-deal to the Houston Rockets. He also didn't fit with coach Mike D'Antoni's offense and had two straight disappointing seasons.
Despite the struggle in recent years, Gasol seemed very much at peace during his postseason media briefing on Thursday. The main reason is because he can help decide his own future as a free agent this offseason.
"This year is a little different," Gasol said. "Every time I said [he felt sentimental] is because I didn't know if I was going to be traded. That has been kind of a theme for the last three years. But this year that possibility is out of the question. Now it's because I will be in charge of my future, my destiny and I have to listen to the different possibilities that I will have on the table."
Gasol said he would "listen closely" to the possibility of returning to the Lakers. The biggest reason he'd consider returning is to continue playing with Kobe Bryant.
Gasol, however, also said he had "misunderstandings" with D'Antoni the past two years and was uncertain if the status of the coach would affect his decision. D'Antoni has one more year and a team option remaining on his Lakers contract, but his future with the organization is in question. The Lakers might also want to part ways with Gasol to save money for better free agent classes in 2015 and 2016.
"The last few years I've kept on my mind that this could be my last day here," Gasol said. " 'Let me try to enjoy it. Let me try to make the best out of it.' That has kind of been my mindset the last couple of years. This could be my last day, maybe."
Jackson coached Gasol with the Lakers from 2007-10. Since being hired as the Knicks' president, Jackson has signed former Lakers forward Lamar Odom to a contract and met with former Lakers forward Metta World Peace. The Knicks would be interested in Gasol in free agency, a source said.
Gasol, 33, made $19.3 million in the final year of his contract and isn't expected to get anything close to the type of salary again. Joining the Knicks would likely come with a massive pay cut since the most they can offer – without a sign-and-trade deal – is the taxpayer's midlevel exception, expected to be worth about $3.2 million.
With the Knicks expected to play Jackson's triangle offense and more of a half-court, such a style of play could be attractive to Gasol. Gasol, however, also said he wanted to play on a championship-caliber team and the Knicks didn't make the playoffs this season with Carmelo Anthony.
"I want to enjoy the moment and not be too stressed about it, even though at some point I'm going to have to make a decision," said Gasol, who is improving from his recent bout with vertigo. "It will be exciting. I look at this as an opportunity. For the first, and maybe only time, I will be a free agent where I can choose. It's exciting. It's nothing that I've experienced in the NBA."
Gasol offered his polite goodbyes to the media and Lakers fans as he had in recent years at the end of the season. Thursday's, however, might have been a true farewell.
"I'm very grateful to be a part of this franchise and the city," Gasol said. "I will always be part of this franchise and this city no matter what. If I don't come back, that's how I feel about it. I'm thankful for everything I experienced in this city, the fans, the media, everyone."
AUTOADVERT
IronWillGiroud
Member: #4359

4/18/2014  4:00 AM
new boss, another graveyard roster?

come on!!

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/18/2014  7:51 AM
3.1M is not going to get Gasol but Gasol at 3.1M is worth having on the team regardless of age.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/18/2014  7:57 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:3.1M is not going to get Gasol but Gasol at 3.1M is worth having on the team regardless of age.

gasol at $3.1m would be great

If the plan is to tie up the cap in former geriatric lakers than we are just going in circles

I think adding odom and gasol would do wonders for teaching Phil's system and leadership and both guys are great passing bigs. It makes a ton of sense. This is the kind of thing I expect from Phil. I still want at least 2-3 premier talents via draft, Free agency and smart trades

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/18/2014  9:08 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:3.1M is not going to get Gasol but Gasol at 3.1M is worth having on the team regardless of age.

gasol at $3.1m would be great

If the plan is to tie up the cap in former geriatric lakers than we are just going in circles

I think adding odom and gasol would do wonders for teaching Phil's system and leadership and both guys are great passing bigs. It makes a ton of sense. This is the kind of thing I expect from Phil. I still want at least 2-3 premier talents via draft, Free agency and smart trades

If they do implement the triangle, and its looking like they will its a good move. Gasol is great at keeping the ball moving and picking his moments. For 3 mill, that would be a bargain if Gasol is relatively healthy. Also agree Gasol could help fill the void after Kidd's departure. He can get temperamental at times, but Jackson would be there to help smooth things over.

gunsnewing
USA
4/18/2014  10:01 AM
The only thing is if it's Kerr he wasn't around the gasol/odom lakers. I'm sure he and Phil will figure out. I really hope we add pau on the cheap. He would play the KG/Duncan role for us
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/18/2014  10:40 AM
How would he fit in with a front line of Amar'e, Bargs, Tyson (or whoever we trade him for) and possibly even Boozer (if Melo go traded too the Bulls). Makes no sense, really. I'd rather spend the $3mil on some sort of PG.
gunsnewing
USA
4/18/2014  10:49 AM
Those guys are all getting traded. Maybe all 3

I get the feeling Phil wants to be relevant next year instead of waiting til after 2015. It's not the way I would go about it as it is the typical Dolan Knicks way but I guess the difference is Phil will get more out players

Expect Amare & Bargs expiring deals to be traded for longer really bad deals and the. Hope Phil works his Zen along with the coach

smackeddog
4/18/2014  11:00 AM
gunsnewing wrote:Those guys are all getting traded. Maybe all 3

I get the feeling Phil wants to be relevant next year instead of waiting til after 2015. It's not the way I would go about it as it is the typical Dolan Knicks way but I guess the difference is Phil will get more out players

Expect Amare & Bargs expiring deals to be traded for longer really bad deals and the. Hope Phil works his Zen along with the coach

Ha- good luck on finding a taker for Bargs! Actually if we're tanking next year he becomes very valuable due to his ability to help you lose lots of games.

No one will take Amar'e due to his salary, but thats okay- he's hard working and showed he might still be able to be productive. Was also a good leader until e traded for Melo- I'd like to see him step up his leadership back to that level, he was good with the young players we had at the time.

gunsnewing
USA
4/18/2014  11:11 AM
Actually expiring contracts aren't as valuable to teams under the new cba. We might be alright unless we are going after the Josh Smiths of the world
smackeddog
4/18/2014  11:25 AM
gunsnewing wrote:Actually expiring contracts aren't as valuable to teams under the new cba. We might be alright unless we are going after the Josh Smiths of the world

You just know Josh Smith and Jennings would be Knicks this offseason if Dolan hadn't of stepped down as effective GM!

I wonder if we brought back pretty much the same team with a new coach next year, how many games would we win? Would we be the team we should for the first 3/4's of the season, or the team we were the last 1/4?

gunsnewing
USA
4/18/2014  11:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/18/2014  11:48 AM
If Amare were to stay healthy and we improved pg but that's not happening and my goal is to build a sustainable winner. With hungry players in their prime surrounded by cheap veteran and young role plAyers
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/18/2014  11:59 AM
smackeddog wrote:How would he fit in with a front line of Amar'e, Bargs, Tyson (or whoever we trade him for) and possibly even Boozer (if Melo go traded too the Bulls). Makes no sense, really. I'd rather spend the $3mil on some sort of PG.

exactly

ES
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/18/2014  12:24 PM
gunsnewing wrote:Those guys are all getting traded. Maybe all 3

Not a chance. The only one who is trade-able is Tyson.

Expirings are just not that valuable anymore under the new CBA.

Also, we better take back someone else's idiots for our idiots who are expirings (e.g. Tyreke and JSmith)

so here is what phil is thinking ....
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/18/2014  12:33 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:How would he fit in with a front line of Amar'e, Bargs, Tyson (or whoever we trade him for) and possibly even Boozer (if Melo go traded too the Bulls). Makes no sense, really. I'd rather spend the $3mil on some sort of PG.

exactly

With the exception of Tyson, all of those guys together would be a defensive nightmare. Could you imagine a big lineup of Bargs, Gasol and STAT?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/18/2014  1:02 PM
Gasol can play some D and might be better playing as a traditional big and not relegated to shooting long jumpers.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/18/2014  1:04 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

exactly

With the exception of Tyson, all of those guys together would be a defensive nightmare. Could you imagine a big lineup of Bargs, Gasol and STAT?

As far as Gasol and Bargs, its a mixed bag. When healthy Gasol is a good defender, and Bargs is a good man defender. Its getting them to play effective team D. Gasol understands what Jackson wants in that dept, its a matter of his being healthy enough to deliver. Might help Bargs to have a big along side of him who can make what Jackson expects clear.

It comes down to bang for your buck. As long as we haven't stopped at Gasol, and Jackson is looking for bigs with less mileage, then its a low cost, low risk move at 3 mill.

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/18/2014  2:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/18/2014  2:37 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

exactly

As far as Gasol and Bargs, its a mixed bag. When healthy Gasol is a good defender, and Bargs is a good man defender. Its getting them to play effective team D. Gasol understands what Jackson wants in that dept, its a matter of his being healthy enough to deliver. Might help Bargs to have a big along side of him who can make what Jackson expects clear.

It comes down to bang for your buck. As long as we haven't stopped at Gasol, and Jackson is looking for bigs with less mileage, then its a low cost, low risk move at 3 mill.

You got to have a coach that can teach team defense, some how theres ppl out there that think players should automaically know when to rotate, but it doesn't work that way..

You can put the 5 best defenders in the league on one team, if there not communicating and understanding what the game plan is, there going to be just great man defenders.

NBA players can not be defended one on one consistantly, there just too good on offensive, so if you don't have a philosphy and a game plan, doesnt really matter.

We complain about TYSONs defense at times as if he's the 2nd coming of Amare, and this is a guy who was DPOY 2 seasons ago, felton (when he was with the Bob Cats, especially under Larry Brown) was regarded has a very solid defender b4 he became a knick. But with MDA and woodson, he's looked nothing close to how he use to look, same goes for Tyson..INFACT Tyson got the DPOY award more so because he made the knicks a decent defensive team, considering how awful we were before he got here.

ES
Gasol open to re-union with Phil...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy