[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

T-mac to opt out
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/14/2004  10:44 AM
well IMHO, there is a legit chance that the Knicks could offer Marbury for Tmac. It would be hard to go around the league and find a better player than Marbury who would be dealt which would make sense. Orlando would likely make us take Howards contract and possibly take back Sweetney, but I think in our position even with the bad back at 24 years old you have to do what you can to go for a deal like this. I dont know at the end of the day if the knicks are a better club, but but Mcgrady is a guy who has top 5 talent and with our pay structure and his age I think that becomes a priority situation. If we give them a package that included
Marbury
Sweetney + end contract
for Mcgrady
Howard

I think you have to do that. There would have to be some other moves done but that would leave the knicks at

6-10 Nazr
6-9 Howard
6-10 Thomas
6-9 Mcgrady
fill in the blank Frank Williams?
7-2 Mutumbo
6-9 Thomas
6-9 Johnson
Houston 6-6
young vet PG
Baker 6-11
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/14/2004  10:58 AM
tmac has a history of back problems. no thanks.
BRIGGS
5/14/2004  11:08 AM
Mcgrady has some risk, but so does Marbury and hes not Tmac. The one player I thought wed have a chance to get this offseason[without mentioning it] was Webber. I think if Sacremento goes down, I think it's in their best interests financially to get rid of Webber. Its a scary proposition because hes still signed long term at huge $$$$ + hes 31 but as Nolad said, the NY Knicks are star phuckers first and foremost. If the Knicks aqcuired Webber and Mcgrady and lured in Dampier, they would sell out the season before it started and that would put their TV advertising into another price range because that would jack their viewing 33%+ IMHO. Playoffs in the east a given, and likely to have the ability to move on 2-3 rounds. The Knicks at the end of the day are a side show much more so than any club. Look at the Rangers IO. Same thing Star phuckers but in the NBA stars like Mcrady and Webber on the same team in the east is going to be formidable and more importantly to the knicks--it will generate huge interest. Webber is a player who could be had for a money deal, something like Thomas and ending contracts.
RIP Crushalot😞
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
5/14/2004  11:21 AM
I dont care what anyone thinks - you do not pass up a chance to have Webber and TMac on the same team. Any GM who would pass on that is simply insane. It is almost as good as Shaq and Kobe - especially in the east. Are you guys crazy? Calling the Knicks star phuckers for wanting to pull of something like that? Who cares about Marbury if it came down to getting those 2 on this team - it is rediculous to even say thats a dumb move on NYs part.

Most importanly, none of this will ever happen because other GMs are not that dumb. We cant afford to get these guys unless its with a trade - including an albatross contract like H20 or Shanderson's and honestly - for TMac and Webber their teams can get much BETTER players. Our talent level is horrible outside of Marbury and a select few on the roster. Wake up and smell the coffee....New York players cannot net 2 superstars in trades. We simply do not have the talent for it.

Anyone who can pull those 2 onto a team has to be given GM of the year award...regardless of the season outcome.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/14/2004  11:25 AM
No reason to include Sweetney or Howard. We always have to give up more and I'm not interested in doing that. You said yourself Sweetney would be a force in the post for 10 years for us. Not only would I not trade Sweetney but I'm looking to get Orlando's #2 for our #2.

As great as TMac is we would have a major balance issue with TMac, Houston, Shandon and Penny all of whom will be here for at least another year. No Sweetney, no Howard. Tmac for Steph straight up is as good as I would go considering he could opt out and his history of back problems. Checks and balances remember?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/14/2004  11:28 AM
Briggs: T-mac's back worries me, and I don't care if he was 19, a bad back is a bad back, and giving up a healthy steph who is just 2 1/2 years older to me may not be a wise move... I love T-Mac but you guys knock Marbury for not leading the knicks out of the first round but what about Mcgrady? he could not stop his team from losing 17 in a row..... i don't know about this one.. I think we should put our focus on getting Tyson chandler from the bulls.....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
5/14/2004  11:32 AM
I'd like to disagree a bit with what you said fish.

"We always have to give up more ". You have to give to get, and for this kind of players, you must be prepared to overpay.

Yet back problems are a bit frigthening, and seeing that he has already missed a respectable amount of games, =even in summer during the olympics, you have to wonder how long his back will hold on.

I still believe we can do something without playing fantsay league, and see what the core of our team can do.

Sweet over kurt, at least, would be a good improvement. Houston may be a good reinforcement in itself alone.

Don't try to get big stars, try to raise what you already got in your hands. (frank, marb, TT, sweet, nazr)

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/14/2004  11:34 AM
[
Anyone who can pull those 2 onto a team has to be given GM of the year award...regardless of the season outcome.

The point is the season outcome.

IF you desire more to see those two wearing a uniform more than wins and losses, you are Star Phucked.

Before you get offended, please note that I do think its an entertainment business and that is the knicks goal. So yeah, they should do it, but its the collection of names that we would have to give up things to get.

Star Phuched players need to play more than 50 games a season and be healthy into the playoffs.
fishmike
USA
5/14/2004  11:37 AM
I see NOTHING wrong with getting Webber here in a money deal so long we arent giving up one of the young guys. We could essentially low ball them because we are pretty much the only team that would both need and an afford Webber. Lets face it when he's healthy he's a top 10 talent on plays great ball on both sides. 20/10/5/2 player dont grow on trees and with our depth we can afford to have him even if its for 60 games.

If Kurt Thomas and expiring deals do it thats a no brainer. KT, Deke and Harrington.. god where do I sign? If we could move up to a very late #1 (maybe just offer the Spurs our #2 and cash) and draft Roman Sato I love that team AND its future. If you could sign Blount and stay reasonably healthy your right there with the PAcers and Pistons.
pg Marbury
sg Houston
sf Thomas
pf Webber
c Blount
bench: Sweeney, Frank, Penny, Nazr, Sato

Pretty freakin good.

I dont know who you draw the Rangers/Knicks comparisons. If we had a bunch of stars we would be in better shape. Instead LAyden ran the payroll to $90mm with Shandon, Eisley, McDyess, KVH, Houston and Spoon.
BRIGGS
5/14/2004  11:38 AM
webber is the tough part for any club. most teams have to be reasonably cost conscience and taking on webbers larger remaining deal is a risk that I believe only the Knicks would take. Dallas doesnt need another PF they have real good ones and with a near 20mm per year price tag and a wobbly knee who is going to take a stab at that--plus give up high caliber prospects and or players? No one, really I dont even know if the knicks at this point can do it because the costs are so high, BUt if there is ateam that can do it and hand them back a solid player + ending contracts--the cost of trading an expensive player with huge $$$--you are going to get less--i think it's very possible. I wouldnt be honest if I say I wanted it to happen, but I think that what I wanted the team to do went out the door a long time ago.

Im not condoning this, Im merely accepting it and visulaizing what the knicks can legitiametly do. Trading Tmac has to net a high caliber player and taking a Sweetney for Howard is a pro active move in rebuilding the team which is kind of what they will need to do.

I dont know what will happen, but the more I look at some situations, the more I believe we will have a star phucked deal or 2 that will put the knicks in the headlines and sell tickets for the season. they jacked the cost of the garden 25mm+ per year and a long playoff run + TV advertsing could grab another 40mm> if the LT is gone, the knicks fly back into the black.
RIP Crushalot😞
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
5/14/2004  11:43 AM
I think the KNicks can get a deal done with the Magic. I would love to get input from you guys on this. Knicks offer TT and H20 for T-Mac and G. Hill. This gives the Knicks the superstar that they need seems onesided and all but having a superstar to build around is the most important step for any franchise. Marbury is a great player but he isn't in the category of T-Mac.

Next step the Knicks offer KT, Nazr, Mutombo for Curry I prefer Curry but would settle for Chandler. The Knicks also take on a bad contract from Bulls along with Curry say a Jerome Williams.

The starting lineup for the KNicks:
Penny/Hill/DerrMarr sf
Sweetney/Williams pf
Curry/Baker c
T-Mac sg
Marbury g
raven
Member: #316
Canada
5/14/2004  11:47 AM
I love your post, but this one was too big :

At first :
Posted by tkf:

T-mac's back worries me, and I don't care if he was 19, a bad back is a bad back,

And then :
Posted by tkf:

I think we should put our focus on getting Tyson chandler from the bulls.....

fishmike
USA
5/14/2004  11:49 AM
Posted by raven:

I'd like to disagree a bit with what you said fish.

"We always have to give up more ". You have to give to get, and for this kind of players, you must be prepared to overpay.

Yet back problems are a bit frigthening, and seeing that he has already missed a respectable amount of games, =even in summer during the olympics, you have to wonder how long his back will hold on.

I still believe we can do something without playing fantsay league, and see what the core of our team can do.

Sweet over kurt, at least, would be a good improvement. Houston may be a good reinforcement in itself alone.

Don't try to get big stars, try to raise what you already got in your hands. (frank, marb, TT, sweet, nazr)
Raven I think its ok to overpay for the first big gun, because that gets you over the hump. The Knicks dont 'need' a 2/3 combo with a suspect back coming from the worst team in the NBA last year, because I agree with you that we will be ok if we just stick with what we have. Get Houston healthy enough to pay 20-25 minutes a game and keep working on getting Sweetney, Frank and our other players better as players and as a team.

I actually think this opens an even bigger door to trade for Hill and the #1 because it would allow Orl to move Tmac for young players AND get a high #1 right back. Tell me the Bulls wouldnt offer Pippen, Heinrich, Jerome Williams and their #1 for Tmac. If the Magic gave us Hill and their #1 for our expiring deals and say NAzr they have a core of good young players and $30 mill of cap space for PAu Gasol, RJ, Joe Johnson, Kwame or Zach the following year. Not a bad plan at all.
fishmike
USA
5/14/2004  11:54 AM
Briggs,
Why would you give up Sweetney and why wouldnt you want Webber?

If all your giving is KT and expiring deals (say Deke, Harrington and TSki) how does getting Webber hurt us? Yea, the money is nuts but even if Webber and Houston miss games Frank and Sweetney both showed they are ready to play bigger roles, and your not hurting the pipeline. Heck, I would even bet Sac would give up their #1 which we could turn into Ricky Paulding or Roman Sato.

We are screwed until Houston and Shandon's deals are gone.. why not add a guy like Webber and make a finals run for the next 3 years?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/14/2004  12:28 PM
i don't think Isiah will trade Marbury at this point...he's the face of the Knicks now for better or worse...Isiah will focus on getting guys to put around him now...& i don't think the Magic would do that deal anyway.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
flyingvee
Member: #405
5/14/2004  1:11 PM
Sometimes I think I think some of you guys live on Fantasy Island. Noe getting T-Mac for Marbury and a combo might work. But you think you can snare both Webber and T-Mac with what we have to offer thats ridiculous. Or that the Magic would give up T-Mac and Hill for TT and H20? As much as I like T-Mac and have watched him a lot thes epast few years, this year was the clincher in realizing he cannot lead a team. Even though he lead the league in Scoring he's much more of a Pippen than a Jordan, and needs another star to lead for him to excell.
TMS
USA
5/14/2004  1:27 PM

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
5/14/2004  1:38 PM
would the knicks trade starbury would the magic take starbury?

if you believe in the theory of star phucking the answer is yes to trading starbury because tmac is an even bigger name.
would orlando trade tmac for starbury? well this is the tough part. if im losing tmac, i cannot cannot lose him for nothing BUT can I get a package of another high pick + propsects for T mac? Can I get Tyson Chandler Jamal Crawford and their high lotto for t mac? can i pull emeka okafor and josh smith out of the draft? well if i was trading tmac thats where i would go with it. but
we are a player because marbury is good enough to make us a player in that game. Starbury is worthy enough to take back, but to do it they would have to rid themselves of Howard. the sacremento owners know the value of money --if i was them i would look to get the hll out of webber even in a money deal that was reasonable. are the knicks going to pass on a webber even with some kinks in his armor? no star phucking way
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
USA
5/14/2004  1:56 PM
Chris Webber makes $17.5 next season & is on the books for 3 more years after that...what could the Knicks possibly put together to match those types of dollars that the Kings would be inclined to accept?
fishmike
USA
5/14/2004  2:21 PM
that all depends on what the Kings want to do. Considering how well they (and Brad Miller) played without Webber they may just want to go in a different direction. KT and expiring contracts gives them a lot of flexibility. If they keep Webber they really have none. You know Bibby, Miller and Peja are the guys they are keeping no matter what. So if they want to change the core of that team moving Webber's contract is the way to do it.

By the way what exactly *IS* the philosophy of star phucking?
T-mac to opt out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy