[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Was Carmelo trade awash?
Author Thread
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/8/2014  1:39 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:BTW, "wash" usually means there was no winner or loser. It looks more like both teams were losers. Melo's a great player at the right price but a bad one at the wrong price. We paid the wrong price. We paid an even worse price for other players, obviously, and that too is part of the losing.

not sure how denver lost Bonn...

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
AUTOADVERT
tkf
4/8/2014  1:40 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Nalod wrote:Record wise its a wash. The proof is in the records.

But both teams got worse. Why not call it a loss rather than a wash for both teams?

did Denver get worse? the only reason they have a record close to ours is that they lost two starters to injuries.. next year those guys will be back along with the Knicks pick.... I don't see that as losing..

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
4/8/2014  1:42 PM
jrodmc wrote:tkf - I know this must have been asked before, but do you and dktf live near each other? Or work for the same company?

And New York was missing a few starters too. Does that work for us?

what starters are we missing?

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/8/2014  1:42 PM
tkf wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:BTW, "wash" usually means there was no winner or loser. It looks more like both teams were losers. Melo's a great player at the right price but a bad one at the wrong price. We paid the wrong price. We paid an even worse price for other players, obviously, and that too is part of the losing.

not sure how denver lost Bonn...

Well it's unclear whether they lost from the Melo trade or just afterwards. It's probably just afterwards but they've gone badly downhill, and that's not all due to Gallo being out. He doesn't make a 20 win difference.
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
4/8/2014  1:45 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:It's amazing. Results are defined as getting out of the "junior varsity" regular season.

Player A is on Team D. Team D makes the playoffs every year.
Team K hasn't smelled the playoffs in nearly a decade.
Player A goes to Team K, Team K is now in the playoffs each year.
How is the trade of Player A a wash for Team K?

Why is this so difficult? Why was Team K suddenly in the playoffs every year? Was it the superb coaching? Brilliant management and ownership? Was it the sudden influx of fabulous talent around Player A? Was it the MSG facade upgrade? Was it part of a league conspiracy in the Eastern conference?

Well now (unlike before) you're at least talking about what happened after the Melo trade. You've at least got the timing correct this time. You're glorifying mediocrity, though. You only have to be roughly a top 20 NBA team to make the playoffs in the east. You can have a player who helps the team but still acquire him in a bad deal if the player doesn't help the team as much as someone you're giving up guys on rookie contracts, future picks, and 40% of your total cap space for should help the team.

Not in the playoffs. In the playoffs. I'm not glorifying anything, I'm defining "winning" as "making the playoffs" and "losing" as being in the lottery. It's not really that difficult. Your rookies haven't done anything great, our record with picks is legendarily abominable (Fred Weiss says HI!) and Lebron didn't want our cap space. And KD ain't coming here, either.

Maybe the thread should be re-titled "Was Carmelo a Wash for Denver?".

And then moved to the Off-Topic forum.

And then locked.

you are not demonstrating a realistic grasp of the nba playoffs.

1) the league is a bloated mess with a terrible dilution of talent.
2) over half the teams make the playoffs, which means mediocrity is rewarded.
3) making the first round of the playoffs, what you call "making the playoffs," is meaningless unless you are a top 3 or top 4 team in either conference.
4) and this year it has been shown how poorly represented the playoffs are, where phoenix would be a third seed in the eastern conference.

carmelo anthony is a great junior varsity player and that's really all he is. his record in the playoffs, his role on the olympic team, his failures in nyc all add up to that one fact, the arguments about if he is really a max player and a franchise player etc. etc.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/8/2014  1:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/8/2014  1:55 PM
We still won the trade all things considered, had some opportunities in the playoffs to make some noise that we might not have had otherwise. A healthy Amare and the whole situation changes and we aren't talking about whether we won or lost the trade. But it didn't work out with this crew, it is what it is.
TeamBall
Member: #4386

4/8/2014  2:36 PM
Knixkik wrote:We still won the trade all things considered, had some opportunities in the playoffs to make some noise that we might not have had otherwise. A healthy Amare and the whole situation changes and we aren't talking about whether we won or lost the trade. But it didn't work out with this crew, it is what it is.

I'd say both teams won because both teams got what they wanted.

Bonn's point that both teams lost is very interesting thought and I never looked at it like that.

Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
mreinman
Member: #3189

4/8/2014  2:44 PM
We got back Chauncey Billups in the trade and he was an expiring. That (piece) was a huge win for us (at the time) if we just let the damn guy expire.

Giving up Felton was not easy though. I remember how upset some on this board claimed to be about that.

This pick and/or Melo walking for nothing will be a huge gauge.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
mreinman

4/8/2014  2:45 PM
TeamBall wrote:
Knixkik wrote:We still won the trade all things considered, had some opportunities in the playoffs to make some noise that we might not have had otherwise. A healthy Amare and the whole situation changes and we aren't talking about whether we won or lost the trade. But it didn't work out with this crew, it is what it is.

Bonn's point that both teams lost is very interesting thought and I never looked at it like that.

Can't say both teams won or both teams lost at this point. It has not played out in full.

toad
Member: #4338

4/8/2014  2:51 PM
jrodmc wrote:
toad wrote:
jrodmc wrote:It's amazing. Results are defined as getting out of the "junior varsity" regular season.

Why is this so difficult? Why was Team K suddenly in the playoffs every year? Was it the superb coaching? Brilliant management and ownership? Was it the sudden influx of fabulous talent around Player A? Was it the MSG facade upgrade? Was it part of a league conspiracy in the Eastern conference?

Stop it. Team K was already going to the playoffs the year PlayerA came in. I think we played .500 after the trade. Team K with Player A isn't going to make the playoffs every year unless you're going to conveniently ignore this year's debacle. Team D is getting a lotto pick thanks to the trade. They're not regretting the trade at all.

Oh please, wake up. We were going to the playoffs with a broken down Stat and Nate Robinson? Really? Gallo on the IR and Wilson and Moz were going to drag you to the playoffs like they've done with Denver? Where was Stat the second half after the trade?

So Team D is happy to have missed the playoffs while we went to the second round? I'll conveniently ignore going down to the wire this season and missing the playoffs while you ignore that they never made it out of the first round. And Team D is also very happy they had to wait 4 years to get a lottery pick while missing the playoffs?

Ha. Let's hang a banner for getting out of the first round! Thanks Superstar Melo! I'd rather have the pick than the privilege of paying a one-way, dumb 'star' max dollars while watching him break down.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/8/2014  2:56 PM
mreinman wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

Can't say both teams won or both teams lost at this point. It has not played out in full.

Yes that is 100% true. A lot depends on what happens with Melo, with our cap space in 2015, etc. I believe Denver has lost to this point however because i don't think they have got what they were looking for out of their players they received and that franchise has not grown. But still too early to tell for both teams.

Bonn1997
USA
4/8/2014  3:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/8/2014  3:23 PM
mreinman wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

Winning or losing might be more realistic than simply "won" or "lost." At any point, even the day of the trade, you can look at all available information and assess whether the trade was a good or a bad gamble. Obviously you'll never know the future though. Melo could become better than Lebron next year, in which case the trade will have been a success even though it was a bad gamble.
Bonn1997
USA
4/8/2014  3:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/8/2014  3:20 PM
Knixkik wrote:
mreinman wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

Yes that is 100% true. A lot depends on what happens with Melo, with our cap space in 2015, etc. I believe Denver has lost to this point however because i don't think they have got what they were looking for out of their players they received and that franchise has not grown. But still too early to tell for both teams.

Well we certainly haven't grown either. If we can point to 2015, certainly they can point to how the lottery pick we hand them develops. It's a bit far-fetched though to say that the critical assessment of whether our trade for Melo in the 2010-11 season was worthwhile depends on who we sign in 2015. I'm sure that if we hadn't traded for Melo, we would have had the opportunity to sign valuable free agents between 2011 and 2015 anyway.
TeamBall
Member: #4386

4/8/2014  3:22 PM
mreinman wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

I think that can depend on how you look at it but I see your point.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
Bonn1997
USA
4/8/2014  3:25 PM
TeamBall wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily say that Denver lost the trade but rather they blew the opportunity we gave them since they simply overpaid all the players we gave them.
dk7th
USA
4/8/2014  3:29 PM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Well now (unlike before) you're at least talking about what happened after the Melo trade. You've at least got the timing correct this time. You're glorifying mediocrity, though. You only have to be roughly a top 20 NBA team to make the playoffs in the east. You can have a player who helps the team but still acquire him in a bad deal if the player doesn't help the team as much as someone you're giving up guys on rookie contracts, future picks, and 40% of your total cap space for should help the team.

Curious to have seen the outcome of the trade if we did not sign Amare the year before or amnesty CB/Sign Tyson the year after.

And, that we would have actually surrounded the trade with good moves / signings and tried to build a tight couple cohesive unit with Melo somewhere in the mix.

Not saying that I would still make the move or that it was a good signings but its hard to judge in a vacuum.

what would you have done the summer of 2010 instead of what walsh did? bear in mind walsh was working for dolan and the knicks had just finished up two years of roster flush. dolan and the fanbase are notorious starphuckers.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
mreinman

4/8/2014  3:55 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
mreinman wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

Well we certainly haven't grown either. If we can point to 2015, certainly they can point to how the lottery pick we hand them develops. It's a bit far-fetched though to say that the critical assessment of whether our trade for Melo in the 2010-11 season was worthwhile depends on who we sign in 2015. I'm sure that if we hadn't traded for Melo, we would have had the opportunity to sign valuable free agents between 2011 and 2015 anyway.

We could have grown if our management walsh, grunwald, all of them did not do such a lousy job. If we amnestied Amare (or NEVER SIGNED HIM) and did not sign Tyson, did not sign FELTON, Camby, did not trade for bargs and did not do many things that we did, we could still have build a strong team with Melo even if we gave up too much (which really all comes down to our #1 pick this year - which is huge).

If we kept Gallo and Wilson and resigned them, we would have lost as well since we would have lost players who don't play too much and we would have paid way more than they were worth. The question is, could we have traded them for a better package? Maybe ... too many maybe's.

I still believe it gets decided in the next year or two. If they draft another Noah and Melo is in chicago playing with Noah, boy that would suck swag balls!

Bonn1997
USA
4/8/2014  3:56 PM
dk7th wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Curious to have seen the outcome of the trade if we did not sign Amare the year before or amnesty CB/Sign Tyson the year after.

And, that we would have actually surrounded the trade with good moves / signings and tried to build a tight couple cohesive unit with Melo somewhere in the mix.

Not saying that I would still make the move or that it was a good signings but its hard to judge in a vacuum.

what would you have done the summer of 2010 instead of what walsh did? bear in mind walsh was working for dolan and the knicks had just finished up two years of roster flush. dolan and the fanbase are notorious starphuckers.

The first thing I would have done would be to resign from working with Dolan
mreinman

4/8/2014  4:08 PM
dk7th wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

I would have quit or never have taken a job for Dolan. You take the job then its on you.

For starters, I would not sign a cripple to a contract when nobody else makes him an offer (other than his home team at 60%). A guy who insurance companies left on the side of the road.

It does not matter what I do. I do not play GM or get paid big money to not phuck up. I don't come up with fantasy trade scenarios or capology moves.

And Grunwald just did every wrong move. Dolan told him to? Not my problem because I am not the GM who takes the blame.

dk7th
USA
4/8/2014  4:10 PM
mreinman wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
mreinman wrote:
TeamBall wrote:

We could have grown if our management walsh, grunwald, all of them did not do such a lousy job. If we amnestied Amare (or NEVER SIGNED HIM) and did not sign Tyson, did not sign FELTON, Camby, did not trade for bargs and did not do many things that we did, we could still have build a strong team with Melo even if we gave up too much (which really all comes down to our #1 pick this year - which is huge).

If we kept Gallo and Wilson and resigned them, we would have lost as well since we would have lost players who don't play too much and we would have paid way more than they were worth. The question is, could we have traded them for a better package? Maybe ... too many maybe's.

I still believe it gets decided in the next year or two. If they draft another Noah and Melo is in chicago playing with Noah, boy that would suck swag balls!

when you are hamstrung by the owner it will make you appear to be doing a bad job. if any of those guys had complete autonomy, the autonomy that dolan has apparently finally relented to give to phil jackson, we would be not in this eternal limbo as a team. that's just how bad dolan is.

Was Carmelo trade awash?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy