Insider Special: Scouting SAC/Wolves
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
5/14/2004  9:52 AM

The Kings could be up 3-0 in this series if they had just made their free throws down the stretch in Games 2 and 3. Doug Christie and Chris Webber both missed key free throws late in Game 2, and Peja Stojakovic, the regular-season NBA leader in FT percentage, missed one each in the fourth quarter and in overtime that possibly could have won either game.

Instead, Minnesota took back home-court advantage, and Sacramento faces a must-win situation in Game 4. Sacramento has lost only eight home games this season, but the Timberwolves are responsible for three of them.

Stars win games, and Sam Cassell and Kevin Garnett have made the winning shots thus far.

What has worked?

Kevin Garnett
Forward
Minnesota Timberwolves

SERIES GAME LOG
GM PTS AST REB FGs FTs
Gm 1 16 7 18 6-21 4-4
Gm 2 28 4 11 8-16 12-14
Gm 3 30 3 15 11-23 8-9
Minnesota improved its postseason record to 6-1 in games in which it takes at least 20 free throws. In Game 3, Minnesota shot 29 free throws, with KG going 8-for-9. This has been a problem for the Timberwolves in previous games, because they shoot so many jump shots. In Game 1, KG had only four free-throw attempts and the team only 12, and the team lost. In Game 2, the Wolves shot 28 free throws, with KG getting 14, and Minnesota came from behind to win. See a trend?

What hasn't worked?
Sacramento has not made big plays at the end of the games. It could change in Game 4, as the Kings are loaded with clutch players, but they are running out of time.

Webber's first step has been very quick, but he has had trouble finishing around the basket over KG's long, outstretched arms. Webber has had to jackknife or try to finish below the rim on many of his drives, and he hasn't made the shots.

The Kings also have shortened their bench to seven players, with Brad Miller and Anthony Peeler the only subs getting much time. Darius Songaila has not played yet in this series, and Bobby Jackson has not suited up due to his abdominal injury. This lack of depth has really hurt the Kings.

Minnesota's "big three" combined for 62 points in Game 2 and for 64 in Game 3. Though they haven't really had all three blow up together in the same game, they've had great games from two of the three in each victory.

Sacramento has done a good job of stopping Sam Cassell since his 40 points in Game 1. But because of the attention the Kings are giving Cassell, Trenton Hassell and Fred Hoiberg have had three great games and may be the difference thus far. The two had 50 points combined in the first two games and combined for 30 in Game 3.

What adjustments have been made?

Mike Bibby
Point Guard
Sacramento Kings

SERIES GAME LOG
GM PTS AST REB FGs 3PTs
Gm 1 33 7 7 10-21 3-8
Gm 2 10 8 2 4-17 0-2
Gm 3 19 10 5 7-15 2-4
The guards are cross-matching with each other. Like in the Detroit-New Jersey series, whenever possible the guards take their opposite number on defense -- the one guards the two, and vice versa. You can only do this after scores and on dead-ball possessions, but Christie often will guard Cassell to put a bigger player on Sam. Minnesota likewise has put Sprewell on Mike Bibby as much as possible for the same reason, and Latrell puts more pressure on Bibby than Cassell can.

Hassell and Hoiberg have gotten shots in the half-court offense due to the "wild switching" Sacramento is doing on top from the weak side in defending Cassell in the wing screen-roll action. The defender on top comes over from the weak side to take Cassell, and the person starting on him runs to take the man on top. The Kings do this because their big men aren't mobile enough to stop Sam in screen-roll plays.

The Kings are also doubling KG whenever possible in the post, then having to scramble out of their rotation.

What adjustments still need to be made?
Minnesota now has captured the mental edge in this series by outplaying the Kings twice. Sacramento must have confidence it can extend this series and win it down the stretch.

The Kings have done a great job of getting Cassell under control, but now they need to buckle down on Sprewell and try to stop him from getting hot at the start. But it is hard to help on him when you are concentrating on the other two stars.

Sacramento needs to play with energy from the start, feeding off the home crowd. They know the series essentially could be over with one more loss. The Kings need to make the Wolves a jump-shooting team and keep them off the free-throw line. Offensively, they must continue cutting and passing in the half court.

AUTOADVERT
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
5/14/2004  11:31 AM
I dont care what people say, Sacramento is the better team and will ultimately win this series.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
raven
Member: #316
Canada
5/14/2004  11:58 AM
Who cares ? Neither of them could win the following series.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
5/15/2004  9:48 AM
I want T-Wolves to win this series, and last night Sprewell was superb. Nice to see Spree still has game
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
TRU
Member: #196
USA
5/16/2004  6:51 AM
Posted by raven:

Who cares ? Neither of them could win the following series.

Word. This is least interesting series of the second round.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
5/16/2004  5:37 PM
Peeler throws a fore arm smash to KG's grill and gets ejected!

I did not see KG's knees buckle. KG was ready to let one fly and caught himself.

In other action Christe, somehow is getting all pawed-up by dem wolves.

Spree is having a good game and needs to take command if wolves are to win.....
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy