[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Realistic Move w/ the Bulls?
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
5/13/2004  11:45 PM
If they take Dwight Howard or Okafor with their pick, would they consider trading Chandler and JYD + their 2nd rounder for cap relief (Mutumbo, Trybanski, Harrington) and the Knicks 2nd rounder. The Bulls replace Chandler with their lotto pick and get a ton of cap space after next year, as JYD is their longest contract.

Knicks move up 13 spots and take either Harrison or the PR Ramos, essentially obtaining two young 7 footers who could ultimately become their starting C.

Isiah's goals should be:
1) Find a young big man.
2) Get insurance in case Houston is hurt.
3) Turn expiring contracts into something.
4) Only make moves for younger, talented players.

That's why I'm against a guy like Dampier, who's 30+ YO. Why sign him? He's just a stopgap, I'd rather have a Tyson Chandler/David Harrison type guy to work with the Knicks coaches and one day either equal or surpass Dampier's talent level at a younger age and cheaper amount of money.

Ideally they could sign Stephen Jackson MLE and field a team like this:
PG: Marbury, Williams
SG: Houston (hopefully he'd be 6th man by end of the year), Jackson
SF: TThomas, Penny, DerMarr
PF: KThomas, Sweetney
C: Mohammed, Chandler, Harrison

Chandler becomes the shotblocker they desperately need if they want to get rid of Mutumbo, Jackson is their all around wing man who can defend, run the floor, and score, DerMarr hopefully continues to improve, Sweetney's minutes could increase, and Harrison could maybe become a Jason Collins type just a big guy who rebounds and defends adequately.

Knicks are younger, more athletic, deeper, and overall a more potent team. Then you hope for the variables like DerMarr becoming a realistic starting SF, Chandler working with the coaches to become a 15/10 threat, Sweetney working on his post game, etc. That's how I think they'll improve.

I think Sheed is out the window, no way they get Kobe, Iverson, McGrady, so it's small moves like these that could ultimately pay dividends down the road.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 05/13/2004 23:53:40]
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/14/2004  12:26 AM
Smooth, this is exactly what I am thinking, altough dampier is just 29 and still has many years ahead of him, I just don't like his game, his age is not really a problem but his game is for me. Now as far as chandler this is the direction we need to go. I think the bulls are willing to cut ties with him and he will be the type of big man the knicks will need, can rebound, block shots and run the floor, this would be ideal to go with a stephon Marbury and Mike sweetney... I am really hoping thomas is considering making a big push for chandler...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/14/2004  8:01 AM
I like this idea....

This is probably how things will go. I just want KT to go away....

Chandler could replace KT as the power fwd. Knicks still need a post scorer. The more I think about it the less I see it happening.

Bigsmooth didn't all of a sudden wake up and see the writting on the wall because this is the line-up most of us have been debating for a while.

I hate KT and Shandon.....Isiah found a home for Eisley and Spoon so I guess anything is possible.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/14/2004  8:42 AM
i don't see the Bulls trading Chandler to the Knicks for anything we have to offer...they may trade him, but it won't be to NY.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BigSm00th
USA
5/14/2004  12:29 PM
I think they would, only if they get the Knicks to take back bad contracts.

Chandler is a waste of time to them. They'll take Okafor or Howard, put them alongside Curry, and they'll have Chandler off the bench? It makes more sense to get rid of their bad contracts so they can a) resign their rookies and b) become a player in the FA market again.

Williams, Davis, and ERob are all horrible, long contracts. If the Knicks give them expiring ones and they are essentially replacing Chandler with their first rounder, I think they might. It's at least feasible, which is why it's worth discussing.
#Knickstaps
TMS
USA
5/14/2004  12:35 PM
they can get more for Chandler than just ending contracts & a 2nd rounder imho...they would be stupid to trade him for anything other than another young player w/upside that they can build around, or at least a high 1st round pick to use for the future...i know if i were a Bulls fan, that's how i would be thinking...i wouldn't want any part of that garbage package of players from the Knicks.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
5/14/2004  12:38 PM
Posted by TMS:

i don't see the Bulls trading Chandler to the Knicks for anything we have to offer...they may trade him, but it won't be to NY.

TMS, what do you think the Bulls are looking for (in general terms) in exchange for Chandler?

I don't think it would be draft picks or really young guys as they seem to already have too many of those and the mixture hasn't worked for them. I do think the Knicks have a more desireable roster from a trade standpoint since Isiah has taken over and can provide alot of options in trade scenerios.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Andrew
USA
5/14/2004  12:42 PM
I see you already answered my question but do you really think the Bulls want more young guys. They need some vet leaders with good work ethics who are willing to teach and won't take away alot of playing time. Deke and Othella sound like a perfect fit. Maybe Shandon, but I doubt it.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
TMS
USA
5/14/2004  12:53 PM
Deke & Othella aren't a perfect fit for any team unless the only thing on their agenda is to clear a bad contract off their books...adding those guys to their team won't help them improve 1 bit...so why would they consider making that trade?
TMS
USA
5/14/2004  1:05 PM
if i were the Bulls, a player i would target would be Vince Carter...i think they could get him if they offered up Chandler, Crawford & their lottery pick...that's the type of move they would be inclined to make to get their team a marketable star who can help them return to being competitive next season...& that would be a deal that would actually make sense for the Raptors as well, since it would move Bosh over to the 4 where he belongs & they'd get 3 young pieces to use in their rebuilding.

C - Curry
PF - Davis
SF - Pippen, Fizer or MLE fa (Stephen Davis?)
SG - Carter
PG - Hinrich
Andrew
USA
5/14/2004  1:55 PM
I guess we have different view on what the Bulls need. Deke and Othella represent salary relief, but not only that. Experience, leadership and work ethic. Othella has always been know as someone who busts his butt in practice even though he gets limited playing time. This is something the young guys on the Bulls (especially Curry who alwasy has shown up to camp out of shape) could learn from.

I think Carter would be a bad fit personality wise. Yeah he has tons of talent but he too is know for his not so great attitude and work ethic.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
TMS
USA
5/14/2004  2:26 PM
i know what you mean about Othella's work ethic, but that's what the Bulls thought they'd be getting when they got Antonio Davis, Jerome Williams & Scottie Pippen too...they need GOOD players now...they don't need marginal role players to teach work ethic...they're not going to trade away 1 of their most valuable assets for that.
Andrew
USA
5/14/2004  2:50 PM
I guess it depends on how much they want to get rid of some bad contracts.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/17/2004  12:03 PM
I think the Bulls would trade Chandler to rid themselves of either JYD or AD. Especially if they luck out and get the rights to Okafor (probably ONLY if they get those rights). I agree that if the Bulls don't get the Number 1 overall, they'll probably trade the pick to try to get a Ray Allen or someone.

BUT, if the Bulls do get Okafor, Chandler is immediately expendable. Give the Bulls Kurt Thomas and Othella and Deke(both of whom they've wanted before) to tutor the young bigs they have for Chandler and JYD. It gives the Bulls Kurt and some clearing cap room. It gives the Knicks Chandler and more salary. I don't know if the Bulls would do it, but it's certainly a fair offer.

I agree with people who've said we have to try to hang on to Frank. If the Knicks can't get a Stephen Jackson type, they'll need Frank to play alongside Marbury.
¿ △ ?
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
5/17/2004  12:45 PM
this is the best trade that I have heard so far. JYD played for Lenny before and Lenny loves that kid. He is Mr. energy.

Posted by crzymdups:

I think the Bulls would trade Chandler to rid themselves of either JYD or AD. Especially if they luck out and get the rights to Okafor (probably ONLY if they get those rights). I agree that if the Bulls don't get the Number 1 overall, they'll probably trade the pick to try to get a Ray Allen or someone.

BUT, if the Bulls do get Okafor, Chandler is immediately expendable. Give the Bulls Kurt Thomas and Othella and Deke(both of whom they've wanted before) to tutor the young bigs they have for Chandler and JYD. It gives the Bulls Kurt and some clearing cap room. It gives the Knicks Chandler and more salary. I don't know if the Bulls would do it, but it's certainly a fair offer.

I agree with people who've said we have to try to hang on to Frank. If the Knicks can't get a Stephen Jackson type, they'll need Frank to play alongside Marbury.
The true Knickabocker..........
BigSm00th
USA
5/17/2004  11:59 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38124124

That article talks about how the Bulls will trade Chandler for a bag of potato chips as long as they get Okafor.

I think it's feasible and it makes sense for both sides. Chandler still has the potential to be a guy who averages 20 and 10, and even if he doesn't become a prolific scorer, he can still focus on rebounds and shotblocks and be great on that side of the ball.
#Knickstaps
Realistic Move w/ the Bulls?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy