joe dumars' biggest blunder?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/18/2004  12:11 AM
Posted by tkf:

ok darko is still 18 for the next 2 days until he turns 19... whoopee.. the point is this, 5 years down the road when the pistons have changed personnel and will be looking for the player to lead that team into the future, why take a chance on such a project when you have a player like melo who was a winner on the college level and basically as sure of a thing as lebron.. People always look back at drafts and say, man had we picked the right guy we could be competing now.. the pistons had a sure thing in melo.... To even compare him to big dog is a joke and a lack of any basketball sense, right now melo is a more productive player than big dog... Call it what you want but I can assure you if Dumars is the GM in 3 years from now, when the champainge has worn off of this win, he will regret the pick...

I am done with this topic...

Bigg Poop dogg was a pretty nice player in his day. Not quite the no.1 overall pick. WHy the wimpy lack of risk on your part? The obvious easy fantasy pick is Melo, but use your imagination son. THis is a big mans league. And yes, He has made some real swift moves that has Joe Sizing up a ring at this moment. And joe got lots of big men on the team.

GM's make mistakes all the time, even the best ones. They take risks and move on if it does not work out. JOe did not need melo for this team. He believes Tayshaun is his choice and would not have had melo in the rotation to develope him. SO your assuming (and calling me out which is rude) that melo would be as successful on the Pistoins as he was on Nuggs. No, that would not have happend, and they won a ring instead. That is the goal, winning a ring!

So lets argue this for 5 more years, and Darko is still only 24!
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/18/2004  11:39 AM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by tkf:

ok darko is still 18 for the next 2 days until he turns 19... whoopee.. the point is this, 5 years down the road when the pistons have changed personnel and will be looking for the player to lead that team into the future, why take a chance on such a project when you have a player like melo who was a winner on the college level and basically as sure of a thing as lebron.. People always look back at drafts and say, man had we picked the right guy we could be competing now.. the pistons had a sure thing in melo.... To even compare him to big dog is a joke and a lack of any basketball sense, right now melo is a more productive player than big dog... Call it what you want but I can assure you if Dumars is the GM in 3 years from now, when the champainge has worn off of this win, he will regret the pick...

Bigg Poop dogg was a pretty nice player in his day. Not quite the no.1 overall pick. WHy the wimpy lack of risk on your part? The obvious easy fantasy pick is Melo, but use your imagination son. THis is a big mans league. And yes, He has made some real swift moves that has Joe Sizing up a ring at this moment. And joe got lots of big men on the team.

GM's make mistakes all the time, even the best ones. They take risks and move on if it does not work out. JOe did not need melo for this team. He believes Tayshaun is his choice and would not have had melo in the rotation to develope him. SO your assuming (and calling me out which is rude) that melo would be as successful on the Pistoins as he was on Nuggs. No, that would not have happend, and they won a ring instead. That is the goal, winning a ring!

So lets argue this for 5 more years, and Darko is still only 24!

what part of that statement, don't you understand?

(and calling me out which is rude)

get over it man....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
USA
6/18/2004  9:15 PM
Posted by tkf:

[I am done with this topic...

get over it man....

If you were done, then you'd be finished. That is what I don't understand.

Im almost over it.
tkf
6/18/2004  9:47 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by tkf:

get over it man....

Im almost over it.

I give up (waving white flag)...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
6/18/2004  10:22 PM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by tkf:

get over it man....

Im almost over it.

WOW good going Nalod
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
tkf
6/18/2004  10:39 PM
Posted by Bobby:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by tkf:

get over it man....

Im almost over it.

WOW good going Nalod

hahah.. now the peanut gallery chimes in.. The funny thing is that is probably Bobby's most productive post to date...

ignorance is bliss, I guess...
Bobby
USA
6/18/2004  11:15 PM
TK...too bad you're in disbelief over the Pistons turning down MElo for Darko, only to pick up Sheed on the just-in-time Drive to the championship! That's right..........

No Hype, No Mediocrity, No sellout, No MVP, No Melo, NO BLUNDER!

We do accept white flags...

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
6/19/2004  12:17 AM
The bottome line is, if Darko got Melo's minutes he mightve put up big numbers too, and if Melo was benched like dArko, everybody would be saying "they should have taken darko, look at his numbers, hes a 7-0 18 year old with unbelievable potential".what the pistons have is more than a collection of talented players, its a TEAM, and dumars probably understood that getting a "star" player might ruin that chemistry. the duncans, the garnetts, the yaos and francis' couldnt stop the lakers, it took the PISTONS, the way they are built right now, to topple LA.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
6/19/2004  8:31 AM
Posted by nyballer:

The bottome line is, if Darko got Melo's minutes he mightve put up big numbers too, and if Melo was benched like dArko, everybody would be saying "they should have taken darko, look at his numbers, hes a 7-0 18 year old with unbelievable potential".
Exactly. I think Darko was a good pick.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Bobby
USA
6/20/2004  3:14 AM
Posted by nyballer:

The bottome line is, if Darko got Melo's minutes he mightve put up big numbers too, and if Melo was benched like dArko, everybody would be saying "they should have taken darko, look at his numbers, hes a 7-0 18 year old with unbelievable potential".what the pistons have is more than a collection of talented players, its a TEAM, and dumars probably understood that getting a "star" player might ruin that chemistry. the duncans, the garnetts, the yaos and francis' couldnt stop the lakers, it took the PISTONS, the way they are built right now, to topple LA.

Nyballer...good post. Nice to see you have an understanding of what a Star player can do when incorrectly placed on team looking for balance.
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
6/25/2004  6:34 PM
As odd as it is to say (or type I guess) Detroit winning the title is irrelevant to the argument. You simply have to place it in a Darko vs. Melo vacuum. Considering that Darko has done squat this season, and that is being kind.

Prince brings “intangibles” ? That’s like going on a blind date and hearing that your date has a “nice personality”…yeah, great. Prince is a nice role player, with good defensive skills…Shake an NBA tree and a handful of those kind of players fall out. 20 y/o superstars don’t.

Detroit might have drafted themselves a dynasty with Carmelo Anthony. Melo put up All-star numbers in a ridiculous division and conference. When crunch time hit, and the Nuggets needed him, he went bananas and carried them to the playoffs. For a team built for now its asinine to say wait a few years on Darko…Darko’s apex might not even approach Melo’s rookie year!

And in that column, what was up with that whole Escalade nonsense? See if you couldn’t catch the hidden meaning there. That’s why Larry Bird said the league needs white superstars. Could you imagine if Carmelo Anthony was from Iowa and putting up the numbers he puts up. You certainly wouldn’t see a negative spin like that. Good ol’ Black lovin Liberal Media right Rush?

I know nowadays everybody gets hearts dancing in their eyes regarding Euro players, with every guy from the oversees being the next Dirk Novitzki, but this argument is taking it too damn far!

The pick gets so much abouse because Darko has a deer-in-the-headlights look to him whenever he takes the floor. He looks like he wants to be anywhere but on an NBA court. While Melo is a superstar in waiting. Its not like Melo is simply a good player with mild potential.
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
tkf
6/25/2004  7:32 PM
I said I was done with this topic, but sebstar, your post was right on point, damn great post.. that is the point, detroit winning has nothing to do with this argument, too bad some in here can't take the blinders off...
Nalod
USA
6/27/2004  12:08 AM
Prince plays with a big heart to accompolish thoes so called intangables. I would not discount them too much. Dennis Rodman won 5 rings with those intangables.

Melo will be a great player, but he would not have gotten those minutes with Detroit. I expect great things from Melo. Jordan was great because he got the scoring done, played with heard and got those intangables. Melo scores, which is a great thing for a rookie. But I think Detroit does not win it all, or get past nets or Indy with Melo.

Darko is who he is for now, and its hard for any of us to really peg what he will do going forward. Time will answer this argument ultimatly.

Good points Seb, we really got no right or wrong here. Just whose gonna let the last word stick?? LOL
tkf
6/27/2004  12:42 AM
nalod I don't understand your post. You said that in detroit melo would not have gotten the minutes, yet you turn around and say that detroit would not have won over Indy with melo. My question is why is that? if melo is not playing how would that affect detroits chances of winning, what would be different? Darko didn't play yet detroit still won... this is why this argument has nothing to do with this past season, but more so about this upcomming and future seasons, teams will get better, and teams will adjust, Detroit will need a scorer like melo, they could lose both okur and Wallace, believe me and darko is just not ready, and who knows if he will ever be.......
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
6/27/2004  5:28 AM
Prince was a major contributor this season.
Does Melo get back to block that Reggie Miller shot?

Darko is icing on the cake. You can't call it a blunder until we see Darko fail miserably. That is still to be determined in the next three years. Dumars won this season so the pressure is off and maybe Darko will play major minutes next season to accelerate his development. The guy is big, young and can play. He needs confidence and playing time.

This is the thread that will not die.

lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
Nalod
USA
6/27/2004  4:00 PM
Posted by tkf:

nalod I don't understand your post. You said that in detroit melo would not have gotten the minutes, yet you turn around and say that detroit would not have won over Indy with melo. My question is why is that? if melo is not playing how would that affect detroits chances of winning, what would be different? Darko didn't play yet detroit still won... this is why this argument has nothing to do with this past season, but more so about this upcomming and future seasons, teams will get better, and teams will adjust, Detroit will need a scorer like melo, they could lose both okur and Wallace, believe me and darko is just not ready, and who knows if he will ever be.......

Your right, I assumed they trade Prince and not recieve much in return and work Melo in. I assumed with reduced minutes or little, Melo contributes very litte, and Larry does not trust defensive assignments to this rookie. History could also be altered that they don't get Sheed either.

Ok, If they keep Tayshaun and sat Melo, then yeah, no change.

Im curious to see what happens when Melo loses that baby fat, or does he continue filling out? Lebron is cut much different and has that body, but Melo is like old time quick player not very cut, but can play. In this league, I wonder how long at those levels. Im sure he'll continue to develope. Mor questions than answers. Darko will answer them in time.

Im not completly sold on Melo and all the hype. No doubt he has talent, but Im talking that whole package of greatness thing.

Last words from me, seriously.
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
6/27/2004  4:16 PM
I am sold on melo- i think he is a star right now and will be a superstar in the next few years - on par with lebron. and it is true that darko hasnt shown us anything. the thing is, detroit right now is built to win now, and they ARE winning now - they are the champions. everybody knew darko was a project, and he may or may not pan out - it was clearly a risk, and nobody expected him to come in this year and drop 20 a game. you cant say darko is a bust or that darko is a bad pick because we havent seen him as a developed player - 18 year old jermaine o'neal was putting up dismal numbers in portland stuck behind players like SHEED, sabonis, etc. then 4-5 years later he got playing time and is now one of the top players in the league. So it is a risk, and yes this could hurt detroit IF darko doesnt develop. but if he does develop like they hope, and in 2-3 years is anchoring the detroit team dominating everybody in the post, then darko was the right pick. it was a risk and its unfair to judge them on that risk yet. no discredit to melo, i think he will be/is on his way to being great, but i also dont think hed fit with this detroit team.
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by tkf:

Your right, I assumed they trade Prince and not recieve much in return and work Melo in. I assumed with reduced minutes or little, Melo contributes very litte, and Larry does not trust defensive assignments to this rookie. History could also be altered that they don't get Sheed either.

Im curious to see what happens when Melo loses that baby fat, or does he continue filling out? Lebron is cut much different and has that body, but Melo is like old time quick player not very cut, but can play. In this league, I wonder how long at those levels. Im sure he'll continue to develope. Mor questions than answers. Darko will answer them in time.

Im not completly sold on Melo and all the hype. No doubt he has talent, but Im talking that whole package of greatness thing.

"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
tkf
6/27/2004  10:14 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by tkf:

haha, last words huh? I said the same thing and look.... I am still typing on this subject.. It's contagious..
tkf
6/27/2004  10:16 PM
Posted by kam77:

Darko is icing on the cake. You can't call it a blunder until we see Darko fail miserably. That is still to be determined in the next three years. Dumars won this season so the pressure is off and maybe Darko will play major minutes next season to accelerate his development. The guy is big, young and can play. He needs confidence and playing time.

darko doesn't have to be a failure to say this was a blunder, if he is just a average player and melo is A perinnial allstar then it is a blunder IMO..
Nalod
USA
6/28/2004  9:49 AM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by kam77:

darko doesn't have to be a failure to say this was a blunder, if he is just a average player and melo is A perinnial allstar then it is a blunder IMO..

Yup. (not a word, but an agreeing grunt)
joe dumars' biggest blunder?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy