[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

joe dumars' biggest blunder?
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/15/2004  6:15 PM
i'm sure if dumars drafted melo, then he probably used his expiring deals to land shareef instead of sheed. so he would still have two centers, ben and okur, and a PF that can score in shareef and still has another year on the deal so he could keep both.

agreed with everyone, the jury is still out but melo is melo. nobody knows about darko. dumars felt he had the luxury to wait and allow a player to develop while the team wins now. the difference is that i think the team could've won a title NOW instead of just treading water (2nd round) during the time of darko's development.

remember tsikovilis (whatever his name is) that denver drafted 4th overall last season. what happened to him? he actually regressed his 2nd season.
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/15/2004  6:24 PM
yea DJ: his name was Nikoloz Skitizvili, he was a bust and actually Denver wants to move him now, and he was a guy who was said to have all the potential in the universe. My point is in the NBA you don't get many chances to put together good teams that compete for a title, but when you get it, take advantage, melo on the pistions team could have put them in the finals, that was the scorer they needed but not only that melo is a go to guy, and a guy who can do multiple things, they needed him now, while they had wallace, Rip, and billups playing at the top of their games....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
5/17/2004  9:00 AM
Posted by tkf:

It is not too early to tell at all. Dumars was a stubborn idiot and also euro struck when he was hell bent on taking darko over Melo. and I am not buying all thie tayshaun prince crap, prince can't carry melo's Jock at this point, and darko shouldn't even be allowed to sniff his jock. Lets get real, Darko is 18, melo is 19, so I don't want to hear that Darko is young, Melo at 18 was leading Cuse to a national championship, If darko can even get to the level that melo is now then detroit will be lucky. I hope it backfires in their faces, they too bought into all the euro hype... Here is a news flash... If there are 50 Euro players, and some Jackass publicist says that they are the next dirk, or Peja... Don't believe it!!!! That is why those guys are so good, it is because they are rare players, I am not saying Darko can't be a good player but for now, melo should have been the pick...

I'm wit you brothah!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/17/2004  9:13 AM
Larry Brown was not with the Pistons when they made their draft pick.

biggest problem I see with that team is Brown wants to win NOW and they are rebuilding at the same time.

RJ showed some nice heart at crunch time. Nets bench is thin, the starters are exausted.

ITs been an interesting series, reminds me of some of those old Heat-Knick games where they would just grind it out.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/17/2004  8:03 PM
I'd go for drafting 7 foot stiffs with potential in the 2nd round like Lampe. Maybe Darko would have even been a good pick in the mid first round. But you don't draft a project like that with the 2nd pick of the first round.
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
5/18/2004  12:08 AM
All of a sudden, just because, Detroit passes over Melo, Pistons blow a chance to go to the finals?
What comic book are you reading? Too bad for Detroit drafting Tayshaun Prince and developing his game for team bball only to be replace the following year by Melo….I don’t think soooo. That’s right, Melo was suppose to replace Prince, or maybe Prince should’ve sat on the bench waiting for a Melo injury to get minutes ?….nope

Look here draft dodgers, year after year drafting some of the best picks available and you still can’t get it straight: Oh Yeah.. Odom is Odom, Miles is Miles, Chandler (for Brand) Wilcox, Kaman and the lottery list goes on. Please, don’t even go there with the bandwagon picks, like there’re going to make a difference for clipps playing .500 ball The difference is Dumars has Pistons competing and winning…..and not looking like the lottery clipps (their season starts and end with the lottery) Joe, passing on Melo…..no hype, no mediocrity, no blunder. BTW, if you you’re talking Tskitishvili, he needed time to develop and was not considered a top 10 pick for that lottery….again more hype. Nevertheless you should consider starting “ Kiki’s mile high blunder thread “…

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/18/2004  8:29 AM
bobby, i agree, the draft is a crapshoot with overhyped talent. but by everyone's account, both lebron and melo were supposed to be sure things and they were. all i was saying is that melo is the EXACT thing the pistons need to put them over the hump to win a title right now and in the hunt for at least the next couple of years. i don't think they can win it now b/c they don't have enough guys able/willing to create their own shot down the stretch of games. darko could become a superstar but he was labeled a "project" by everyone. granted, everyone also said he has the tools to be a star but with two young big men already, it seemed kind of odd, to me, why dumars still went with darko over melo and in addition, bringing in sheed.

hey, nobody's crying over here, just trying to spark some intelligent debate. it's all hindsight anyway.

the true nature of my thread was not a "i told you so" to joe dumars. the true nature of my thread was to point out that even one of the best gm's in the league could've made a huge gaffe by drafting darko over melo - the difference between some rings now or none later. so isiah has only one trading deadline and there are some out there that already think he's not on the right path.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 05/18/2004 08:31:17]
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
5/18/2004  10:11 AM
The one thing I disagree with Dumars about is the fact that he failed to realize the buzz that Carmelo would have brought to Detroit. Look at what he is doing in Denver, all that could have been done in Detroit. In the same token, I understand his philosophy after all. He is more like a team guy, he is not looking for a star to come and help win his team a championship. However, I have yet to see a team without a star name to win the championship. They normally do very well, but when you have a star, it changes the game drastically. Carmelo is a mega-star in the making, and Dumars should have drafted him.
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
USA
5/21/2004  12:22 PM
I heard on radio that Carmelo would have ridden the pine in Detroit under Larry brown. THey talked bout coaches who don't play rookies, and thats larry's history.

No minutes, no Carmelo buzz. Carmelo improved with minutes he would not have gotten in Detroit. Darko has grown adn bulked up some this season, but no minutes, no measurable improvement. No blunder either way.
Bonn1997
USA
5/21/2004  12:43 PM
Posted by Nalod:

I heard on radio

well then it must be true
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/21/2004  1:11 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Nalod:

I heard on radio

that only applies when either Michael Kay says it or if it's written in the Daily News by Mike Lupica.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
5/22/2004  11:58 PM
Now that Carlisle is facing the team he built, if Pacers win series could Carlisle firing haunt Dumars.

Good showing by the Knick Killer
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Bonn1997
USA
5/23/2004  10:34 AM
I posted on another forum what I think Detroit should have done:

If Dumars was so obsessed with Milicic, he should have kept his mouth shut after Milicic's impressive workout with the team. He could have drafted Carmelo and traded down to get Milicic. Milicic probably wouldn't have gone until the #6 pick by the Clippers (who took Kaman) or he might not have gone until much later. No one was impressed with this kid until Detroit told the media he was an unbelievably talented big man. Any team that picked Milicic would have been willing to trade Darko and this year's #1 pick and/or another young player for Carmelo. Or Dumars could have arranged a deal with Denver because Denver was (justifiably) very high on Carmelo.

My own personal opinion is that you draft 7 foot projects like Darko in the SECOND round (or maybe make an exception and draft him mid first) but not with the #2 pick of the first round. However, if Dumars was this obsessed with Darko, there were smarter options for him to workout.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/23/2004  11:30 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I posted on another forum what I think Detroit should have done:

If Dumars was so obsessed with Milicic, he should have kept his mouth shut after Milicic's impressive workout with the team. He could have drafted Carmelo and traded down to get Milicic. Milicic probably wouldn't have gone until the #6 pick by the Clippers (who took Kaman) or he might not have gone until much later. No one was impressed with this kid until Detroit told the media he was an unbelievably talented big man. Any team that picked Milicic would have been willing to trade Darko and this year's #1 pick and/or another young player for Carmelo. Or Dumars could have arranged a deal with Denver because Denver was (justifiably) very high on Carmelo.

My own personal opinion is that you draft 7 foot projects like Darko in the SECOND round (or maybe make an exception and draft him mid first) but not with the #2 pick of the first round. However, if Dumars was this obsessed with Darko, there were smarter options for him to workout.

there is always risk in passing up the player you want in hopes of getting him with a lower pick. Miami and Toronto were both ahead of LAClips, right? Both were probably looking for big men. Why risk it?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
USA
5/23/2004  11:40 AM
Nothing's guaranteed, but I'm sure the Nuggets would have worked out a trade. If you draft Carmelo at #2, can you seriously imagine the Nuggets turning down an offer of Carmelo for Milicic plus a draft pick? You could probably get them to give up more than that.

Why risk it?

because you could very easily get future draft picks AND Milicic

Although nothing's guaranteed, I think it's pretty close to a zero percent chance the Nuggets would turn down that offer. It's a calculated risk. It's basically extremely low risk and higher reward than what Dumars ended up doing.

And obviously you have discussions with teams before doing this. You should only do this if you have a trade in place with Denver before the draft selection. It's basically a 0% chance of not working, but even if it somehow doesn't work, then oh well, you're "stuck" with Carmelo and you end up winning the championship this year. What a tough break!

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/23/2004 11:41:03]
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
5/23/2004  1:06 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Nothing's guaranteed, but I'm sure the Nuggets would have worked out a trade. If you draft Carmelo at #2, can you seriously imagine the Nuggets turning down an offer of Carmelo for Milicic plus a draft pick? You could probably get them to give up more than that.

Why risk it?

because you could very easily get future draft picks AND Milicic

Although nothing's guaranteed, I think it's pretty close to a zero percent chance the Nuggets would turn down that offer. It's a calculated risk. It's basically extremely low risk and higher reward than what Dumars ended up doing.

And obviously you have discussions with teams before doing this. You should only do this if you have a trade in place with Denver before the draft selection. It's basically a 0% chance of not working, but even if it somehow doesn't work, then oh well, you're "stuck" with Carmelo and you end up winning the championship this year. What a tough break!

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/23/2004 11:41:03]

WHo knows, this might have happened and the Nuggets wouldn't agree to it. If you are the Nuggets m you can just call Dumars on a bluff and force him to take Darko with his pick.
Nalod
USA
5/23/2004  10:44 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Nalod:

I heard on radio

that only applies when either Michael Kay says it or if it's written in the Daily News by Mike Lupica.

Dr. Jack ramsey on #ESPN radio. This really is one dumb**** topic of second guessing a first year obvious phenom. Freaking pistons are in conf. finals and growing dudes on the bench. Thats just plain smart. They got Larry grooming two young power forwards and have Ben and Sheed. They can sign and trade Okur and get back an asset.

Pistons have huge upside, and knick fans should be thinking them,Indy and host of other teams can get it together sooner and deeper than us. East teams suck, but they are drafting higher than west teams, and in time it opens things up.

Bottom line, Carmello joined the right team that gave him big minutes. Detroit could not give him those minutes, nor make him the focal point of an offense.
Bonn1997
USA
5/23/2004  11:23 PM
Freaking pistons are in conf. finals and growing dudes on the bench.

Prince would be a great player coming off the bench at SF and SG--a sixth man candidate in the future backing up Carmelo and Rip.

Detroit could not give him those minutes

That's ridiculous. You make minutes for him. I can't think of one team in the NBA that can't find minutes for a player like Carmelo.

second guessing

It's not second guessing if you made the prediction before the season started, like most knowledgable fans did.

Pistons have huge upside, and knick fans should be thinking them,Indy and host of other teams can get it together sooner and deeper than us.

The only thing I'm thinking is thank goodness we don't have to beat a Pistons team with a starting lineup of Billups, Rip Hamilton, Carmelo, Wallace, and Wallace, with Okur and Prince coming off the bench!

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/23/2004 23:25:40]

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/23/2004 23:28:32]

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/23/2004 23:30:11]
Nalod
USA
5/28/2004  8:54 AM
THe sum of the pieces are greater than the individual parts.

Tayshauns block on Miller was bigger than hitting a go ahead jumper.

At games end, he dug in and ran his azz off to make a perfect block.

Carmelo is great, but I never saw anything in him that carries that kind of determination. I contend that Larry Brown would have not had him play as much as he did in denver, and thus would not have had the rookie year he did.

Detroit is up and could make the finals. Is that a blunder?

THe pistons and Pacers are models of young athletic teams build for long runs. Pacers lost Brad Miller and found ways to make up for his lost production. Fantasy is about plugging in numbers. Reality is making it actually work.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/28/2004  10:33 AM
Nalod: good post, but having Carmello would not change the fact that Prince would still be on that team. And if the pistons make the finals it won't change the fact that Dumars made a blunder, simply because Darko had nothing to do with their success this year. The blunder will come if they don't get past the pacers because I honestly think they still need a go to scorer on that team, and the blunder will continue to show in the future because instead of having a potential star player to build around, I mean a championship team around will hurt the pistons in the near future. You play to win championships and you draft to win championships. I am confident that the Pistons will not beat the lakers this year, if they make it that far, now would having carmello put them over the top? probally not, but it puts them a hell of a lot closer, and having a melo would make the pistons a hell of a lot stronger not only now but in the near future. This is the problem I have with that. If melo is on the pistons. Prince still probably makes that block. Lets just see if they survive this series, because if Indiana just makes their shots, they can easliy outscore the pistons every game... The pistons needed a guy like melo, the pacers have go to scorers, as do the lakers, spurs, and kings.... That IMO will be the pistons achillies heel..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
joe dumars' biggest blunder?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy