Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/13/2004  11:59 AM
If you had to take Grant Hill back?

Say Shandon, Othella and Deke for Hill and their #1
or Othella, Deke, Tski and Norris (all expiring except Moochie) for Hill and their #1

I mention this because the Hill + #1 for Walker (Dal) was laughed at by the Orlando Sentinal because even Cuban isnt dumb enough to take Hill back.

If you could get Howard or OK4 would you do this deal?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/13/2004  12:19 PM
i would but orlando wouldnt. newspaper in business to sell copies, must come up with far-fetched crp to stir the pot and sell the paper. if im trying to sell seats and win games next year do i want Emeka Okafor? dont under-estimate his skill level or marketing potential. Good looking, highly intelligent chisled player who reminds people of bill russell who lead his team to a NC with a crack in his back while graduating in 3 years with a 3.8? what team would give that up for a contract that only runs 3 more years and is being paid for by insurance? it isnt happening.
RIP Crushalot😞
jazz74
Member: #371
5/13/2004  12:29 PM
i think orlando will pick okafor to make up for size. they haven't had a dominate big man since o'neal left. not to say okafor will be dominate but he will be a very good player who will compliment gooden nicely in the future. as far as mcgrady, i think he just had a frustrating year. he will stay in orlando and orlando will be good next year IF they get the number one. if not they should trade their pick. then we could talk semi-realistically about getting their pick.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/13/2004  12:41 PM
that package is a no brainer for the Knicks because they'll be capped out til Houston's contract expires regardless of who they sign or trade for...i doubt the Magic would accept just expiring deals w/o getting back a young talent or quality veteran to add to their roster...otherwise, they'd be better off keeping Hill's contract & hoping he retires & taking either Okafor or Dwight Howard w/the #1 pick.

maybe if you included Sweetney along w/a future unprotected 1st round pick in the deal, the Magic may bite...or if you also took back Juwan Howard's longterm contract & gave them Kurt or Nazr in return, they might do the deal...but getting that #1 pick is not going to come cheap imho.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
5/13/2004  12:44 PM
Instead of Sweets throw in FWill because Orlando needs a PG after Armstrong left. That way we keep our young PF and get another in return. However none of this is going to happen anyway.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
fishmike
USA
5/13/2004  12:52 PM
its not a no brainer... Hill is owed $47 mill and insurance doesnt cover nearly as much as you think. Not to mention the fact that their cap is ruined, which puts their position to retain TMac very tenuous. Yes, teams are in the market to sell tickets, but they are also in the market to make money. If Hill plays 15 games, gets hurt and retires insurance plays less than 40% of his 04-05 salary. He would still be on Orl's cap for 05-06 and the Magic would have to pay 30% of that for the remaining 2 seasons. Thats over $20 mill for a player that doesnt play, ruins your cap and results in you losing the closest thing to a franchise and ticket seller you have in TMac.

I have no doubt the Magic would do this.. they arent the Blazers, they have limited $$$ and lost huge amount of money last year. The question is is it work it for the Knicks.
TMS
USA
5/13/2004  12:57 PM
if you're getting Okafor or Howard, to hell w/Sweetney...he will be nothing more than a career role player in that case.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
5/13/2004  1:06 PM
Posted by fishmike:

...their cap is ruined, which puts their position to retain TMac very tenuous.

fishmike, dare I ask why about the above statement? I think having no surrounding players is the thing that will make TMac bolt. Orlando can spend whatever they want to retain TMac so I don't understand about the cap situation.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
fishmike
USA
5/13/2004  1:25 PM
thats the point. Because their cap is ruined with Hill they cant put good players around TMac which is why he's going to bolt. If you do the Knick deal they have one of two options. Convince TMac to stay because even if they have a subpar year they will be $15 mill under the cap and can add a veteran star to play along with him.
OR
Do the Knick deal and proptly trade Tmac for expiring contracts and a higher #1 or multiple #1s. Then you would get the pick back you used to move Hill and basicly start over with some young players and $30 mill in cap space to work with.
TMS
USA
5/13/2004  1:32 PM
i think if Orlando has another bad year, they can pretty much figure on T-mac bolting when he becomes a FA...if they're going to make a move, it will be to make them competitive this upcoming year...they won't just do it to get back contracts that expire after next season.
fishmike
USA
5/13/2004  1:43 PM
either way they would be better. Guys like Harrington, Deke, Moochie, even Shandon are better than NOTHING. Look how bad the core of their team is.
TMS
USA
5/13/2004  1:51 PM
Harrington, Deke, Moochie, Shandon...are they much better than Gooden, DeClerq, Garrity, Gaines & a MLE free agent off the Magic bench? those players wouldn't make the Magic a playoff contender in the East next year, so what would the Magic have to gain out of the deal? they will want a player who can help them be competitive, like an Antoine Walker, Antawn Jamison, Marcus Camby, Erick Dampier, etc.

i think you would have to give them at MINIMUM a package w/Kurt Thomas or Nazr Mohammed along w/Sweetney & a future 1st round pick to get them to make that deal.
fishmike
USA
5/13/2004  2:18 PM
"so what would the Magic have to gain out of the deal? "

At the most $35-$40 mill and cap space.
At the least $20 mill.

If its KT, Nazr and TSki I would do it. Im not trading Frank or Sweetney in the deal. I think we are doing the Magic a huge favor and this is a deal probably no other team in the league could or would do. Cuban's core in Dallas is win now and still young. Plus they have to resign Nash (thats adding at leasy $10 mill a year) and are locked into a $70mm payroll for 3-4 years even after Walker's deal is up.

If the Magic want Sweetney, Frank or picks back I say no thanks and have fun rebuilding without TMac and Hill making his 5th comeback and ruining the $$ you save on insurance.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/13/2004  2:38 PM
A trade of KT, Nazr and Moochie for Grant Hill and their 1st rd pick is good.

If they want FWill for Juwan Howard then send
Deke, FWill for Juwan Howard and their 1st 2nd rd pick.

They are a small market team and must get rid of their albatross contract(at least ours can still play). It is a high price for them to pay but they need to rebuild and the only way to do that is getting rid of monster contracts and go from there.

Orlando LineUp
C-Nazr/Deke
PF-KT/Gooden
SF-Gooden/TMac
SG-TMac/Gaines
PG-Fwill/Gaines

That is a lot better lineup than last year for them and they can actually sneak into the playoffs with that team. Then they can rebuild!

Knicks LineUp
We need more trades after this!

[Edited by - NYKBocker on 05/13/2004 14:39:42]
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/13/2004  3:07 PM
why is orlando in a bad cap position? the grant hill contract is a pain--but it is covered at 80% insurance premium. Since he has already sat out a year--if it is detremined he cannot play--just like LJ --he will come off the cap in a year and a half--so while its an unconvenience it's not something you have to get done. NBA teams make and lose money yearly. Most teams have high net individuals who know its a break even business for the most part and cash in when they sell. Portland and Dallas have owners who have just decided to spend the money regardless of loss. Orlando is NOT in a bad cap position--they have a smallish payroll and what a great way to enhance your ticket base by trading off an asset like a high number 1 pick for crp. The best way to increase revenues is by putting out a good product that will make it to the playoffs, increasing ticket sales throughout the year and adding that playoff revenue stream. Imagine trying to sell tickets for a team that traded the number 1 pick for junk. Maybe in 1975 NBA not today.
RIP Crushalot😞
LongIslandKnicksFan
Member: #496
USA
5/13/2004  3:14 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

i would but orlando wouldnt. newspaper in business to sell copies, must come up with far-fetched crp to stir the pot and sell the paper. if im trying to sell seats and win games next year do i want Emeka Okafor? dont under-estimate his skill level or marketing potential. Good looking, highly intelligent chisled player who reminds people of bill russell who lead his team to a NC with a crack in his back while graduating in 3 years with a 3.8? what team would give that up for a contract that only runs 3 more years and is being paid for by insurance? it isnt happening.

You know Briggs, sometimes when college athletes go to college, they go on scholorships and most of the time get their grades tweaked. Okafur isn't the kind of guy who is a bookwork, especially at the college he went to. Do you understand how hard it would be to have a 3.8 GPA at UConn? Let me tell you all something...My college is ****ed up because when we had a basketball team, a lot of the students on scholorships would get a ton of free ****, And the teachers are told to be leniant...I tell you, the college system is ****ed up nowadays.
fishmike
USA
5/13/2004  3:38 PM
then why do teams make these trades every year to cut payroll? Heck the Suns gave up a #1 (granted it was the #1 overall) just to save $5 mill. That pick could be JR Smith, Kosta Perovic or Josh Childress.

Also Grant Hill has already said he's making (another) comeback and that 80% insurance is only if he doesnt play AT ALL. If he plays 10 minutes next year the MAgic will lose that game and have to pay him, also its a whole extra year the MAgic have to wait for his salary to come off their cap (its the year AFTER you sit out a year).

This is bad for their cap because it means at least 2 years before the Magic have any flexibility.

BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
5/13/2004  3:50 PM
Orlando wouldn't trade #1 overall for crap like that. The fact that the Orlando Sentinel scoffed at the notion of Marc Cuban taking on Grant Hill's contract means nothing to me. Walker for Hill and a #1 to get Okafor, Cuban would be an idiot to not do that deal.

Orlando could get more for the pick, I think it's that simple. You're offering the Knicks 3 WORST players (Shandon, Othella, and Deke) for the number 1 pick and a huge contract. Let's not the Knicks here, Frank Williams has had a few good games, they already have an undersized 4 in Gooden and Nazr's a career backup. The fact that they are better than last year means nothing, they are still a lottery team.

No way Orlando does it.
#Knickstaps
TMS
USA
5/13/2004  3:52 PM
i still say that unless the trade helps the Magic become a playoff contender next year, they don't even consider it...maybe a package of Tim Thomas, Kurt Thomas & a future 1st round pick for Hill & the #1?

C - Blount (full MLE) / Nazr
PF - Okafor or Howard / Sweetney
SF - Hill / Hardaway / Johnson (LLE)
SG - Houston / Anderson
PG - Marbury / Williams / Norris

i still think that team could make the playoffs next year, & they would have a nice future outlook w/a new young stud to develop in the low post.
flyingvee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #405
5/13/2004  4:00 PM
Why on hell would Orlando want to give up their pick and Hill for garbage like Anderson, Harrington and an old Deke? They need to make a move to make them competitve now so they can keep T-Mac. If Hill can convince anyone that he is healthy then things change,
Briggs... would you take Orlandos #1?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy