yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

3/12/2014  11:26 PM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:great! looks like he is a UFA - nice job!

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/cole-aldrich/

maybe for once the Knicks did a good job by not playing him so they can lock him up after the season unlike they did with Cope.

I don't think he will have a big market because he has put up similar performances every where he has been but yet he as been traded an not re-signed. Hopefully they can keep him and sign him to a 2 yr deal.

wish there was a team option

He would be scary under Thibs. My fan dream would be Thibs and the Chi. Front office have it out over the summer and Thibs comes to NY with Steve Kerr as G.M. instead of coach. Kerr tried to get MDA to add Thibs on staff in PHX but MDA refused and the rest is history.

It can happen right? San Fran wanted to trade Harbaugh this summer.

Who are you talking about?

Sorry about that. Cole could be scary under Thibs.

AUTOADVERT
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

3/12/2014  11:29 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Wow, Tyson really gets no love anymore. Poor guy. He is not as bad as some make it seems. I guess his attitude this year has brought out the worst in fans. I have been critical of Tyson but give him credit too.

He does good things but can't stand him.

Can he set a phucking pick like a man? He is better at than people give him credit for, imo.

Can you catch the damn ball? Not if its below the neck area. I should say rarely if its not above the neck area but it has to be a mid high bounce pass

His defense sucks this year too. No help defense, no rotations, just bitching all game to the refs

I agree

and he is brittle like a bird

I agree

In my mind he really hurts the flow and all he can do is PNR and with Felton as our PG, this is no separation because teams are begging Felton to shoot.

That's more Felton's fault but he can PnR with anyone. I agree that he does hurt the flow sometimes only because he doesn't have the ability to recognize spacing on O. He takes the same pathway after he sets a screen and he doesn't know when to go to the high post naturally to create spacing when Melo or Amar'e is being fronted. If you watch Kenyon as the 5 you see him get wider sometimes after he sets a screen or flash to the high post. It's small little nuances that Tyson has never picked up. I even notice sometimes that Tyson occasionally runs up the back of Melo off the PnR when Melo is shooting a jumper. He needs to go slightly wider to not interrupt a jump shooter's spatial awareness.

Why the hell we did not trade Tyson at the deadline? He actually had decent trade value.

He should still have value especially as an expiring contract. However, I wrestle with it being a good idea unless the Knicks get back a pick and a center. For example, you offer me Robin Lopez and a 2015 then I say do it and do not think twice about it. Why would Portland do it because they have a great PnR guard and Tyson creates vertical spacing. Plus more defensive rep. Robin is the better rim protector and how could Dolan refuse taking Robin with Brook in Brooklyn. lol.

Why does a defensive player of the year need a double team on his man every damn play? Can't he man up?

This is a question I ask every time I see a double team with Tyson. What makes it more frustrating is that he has complained about not needing help and then complained about not getting help. lol. It could be scheme. Woodson seems to double any and every post entry.

OVERRATED!

Very insightful Yellow and I pretty much agree with most of it except the girly picks.

Phil does not like non shooting centers in his triangle. Don't think they keep him. We should sit him to protect his trade value. And Stat too (his trade value will never be higher than this).

I think PJAX gets Aldridge to come here. Boy would that be nice.

Love that the triangle does not really require a PG because we will never get a good PG. How long have we been trying.

so here is what phil is thinking ....
mreinman

3/12/2014  11:32 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:great! looks like he is a UFA - nice job!

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/cole-aldrich/

maybe for once the Knicks did a good job by not playing him so they can lock him up after the season unlike they did with Cope.

I don't think he will have a big market because he has put up similar performances every where he has been but yet he as been traded an not re-signed. Hopefully they can keep him and sign him to a 2 yr deal.

wish there was a team option

He would be scary under Thibs. My fan dream would be Thibs and the Chi. Front office have it out over the summer and Thibs comes to NY with Steve Kerr as G.M. instead of coach. Kerr tried to get MDA to add Thibs on staff in PHX but MDA refused and the rest is history.

It can happen right? San Fran wanted to trade Harbaugh this summer.

Who are you talking about?

Sorry about that. Cole could be scary under Thibs.

Well ... Scary? I would not jump the gun ... lets see what he can do down the stretch. He definitely earned Tylers minutes.

Tyler is extremely overrated on this board. He is active and can be a decent role player but people calling him special?? Really?

The knicks fan base are so quick to crown their yoots.

yellowboy90

3/12/2014  11:43 PM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Wow, Tyson really gets no love anymore. Poor guy. He is not as bad as some make it seems. I guess his attitude this year has brought out the worst in fans. I have been critical of Tyson but give him credit too.

Can he set a phucking pick like a man? He is better at than people give him credit for, imo.

Can you catch the damn ball? Not if its below the neck area. I should say rarely if its not above the neck area but it has to be a mid high bounce pass

His defense sucks this year too. No help defense, no rotations, just bitching all game to the refs

I agree

I agree

In my mind he really hurts the flow and all he can do is PNR and with Felton as our PG, this is no separation because teams are begging Felton to shoot.

That's more Felton's fault but he can PnR with anyone. I agree that he does hurt the flow sometimes only because he doesn't have the ability to recognize spacing on O. He takes the same pathway after he sets a screen and he doesn't know when to go to the high post naturally to create spacing when Melo or Amar'e is being fronted. If you watch Kenyon as the 5 you see him get wider sometimes after he sets a screen or flash to the high post. It's small little nuances that Tyson has never picked up. I even notice sometimes that Tyson occasionally runs up the back of Melo off the PnR when Melo is shooting a jumper. He needs to go slightly wider to not interrupt a jump shooter's spatial awareness.

Why the hell we did not trade Tyson at the deadline? He actually had decent trade value.

He should still have value especially as an expiring contract. However, I wrestle with it being a good idea unless the Knicks get back a pick and a center. For example, you offer me Robin Lopez and a 2015 then I say do it and do not think twice about it. Why would Portland do it because they have a great PnR guard and Tyson creates vertical spacing. Plus more defensive rep. Robin is the better rim protector and how could Dolan refuse taking Robin with Brook in Brooklyn. lol.

Why does a defensive player of the year need a double team on his man every damn play? Can't he man up?

This is a question I ask every time I see a double team with Tyson. What makes it more frustrating is that he has complained about not needing help and then complained about not getting help. lol. It could be scheme. Woodson seems to double any and every post entry.

OVERRATED!

Very insightful Yellow and I pretty much agree with most of it except the girly picks.

Phil does not like non shooting centers in his triangle. Don't think they keep him. We should sit him to protect his trade value. And Stat too (his trade value will never be higher than this).

Love that the triangle does not really require a PG because we will never get a good PG. How long have we been trying.

You know what I actually think Tyson can shoot if he believed in his shot. Now the low post stuff is a serious no no. It's just looks ugly no matter how far he has pushed the defender under the basket or if he is being guarded by a small. His injury years and youth in Chi really screwed up his offense. He actually had more game down low and actually shot the ball. Even in Dallas he would take the open J. I remember him coming in and he was supposed to be a four because of his shooting ability.

I am not an Aldridge fan. He has done a great job rebounding this year but he takes so many awful shots. He is a 4 without a 3 pt game shooting 46%.

mreinman

3/12/2014  11:46 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
mreinman wrote:

I agree

I agree

OVERRATED!

You know what I actually think Tyson can shoot if he believed in his shot. Now the low post stuff is a serious no no. It's just looks ugly no matter how far he has pushed the defender under the basket or if he is being guarded by a small. His injury years and youth in Chi really screwed up his offense. He actually had more game down low and actually shot the ball. Even in Dallas he would take the open J. I remember him coming in and he was supposed to be a four because of his shooting ability.

I am not an Aldridge fan. He has done a great job rebounding this year but he takes so many awful shots. He is a 4 without a 3 pt game shooting 46%.

YES! Tyson CAN shoot, I have seen him shoot a few jumpers/flat footed shots this year and they looked pretty good. Don't know why he is so afraid to shoot. He should talk to Melo about how to deal with misses :-)

LA does take bad shots but he is sooooooo talented and pjax is here to fix him too

yellowboy90

3/12/2014  11:59 PM
Aldridge will be 30 by then and if he doesn't cut down his shots to say David West level or extend his range like Bosh, he will be a bad pick up. He takes enough long range 2s so stepping out should not be a problem.
mreinman

3/13/2014  2:10 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:Aldridge will be 30 by then and if he doesn't cut down his shots to say David West level or extend his range like Bosh, he will be a bad pick up. He takes enough long range 2s so stepping out should not be a problem.

wow! his TS is awful. Did not realize, don't watch too many Portland games but Love seems like a far better fit.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/13/2014  6:01 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:He looked great and sets a great screen. He also is huge.

He might be the difference between us being in the playoffs and not being in the playoffs when we did not use him when Tyson went down.

That's an understatement. We should have given every one of Bargs' minutes this season to Aldrich and Tyler.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/13/2014  6:20 AM
Watched some of the game. Cole was active, something Tyson can't seem to be for very long. Still would like to see Cole against better competition.
Nice game though.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/13/2014  6:29 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

He might be the difference between us being in the playoffs and not being in the playoffs when we did not use him when Tyson went down.

That's an understatement. We should have given every one of Bargs' minutes this season to Aldrich and Tyler.

So true.

I heard Bargs might be close to returning and how excited the Knicks are to work him back into the rotation

Cartman718
Member: #1694

3/13/2014  7:45 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

So true.

I heard Bargs might be close to returning and how excited the Knicks are to work him back into the rotation

very excited.... until he runs to the offensive basket while the rest of the team is still playing defense at the other end.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/13/2014  7:52 AM
I wonder what Phil will do with Bargnani
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/13/2014  9:10 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Watched some of the game. Cole was active, something Tyson can't seem to be for very long. Still would like to see Cole against better competition.
Nice game though.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, who doesn't perform well against Kris Humphries.It's also been Cole's MO to put together a few decent games to get hopes up. Then, he goes on to suck for the rest of the season.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/13/2014  9:24 AM
cole played great last night. still don't understand the point of keeping him all year if they were never going to use him. about time woodson threw him in the fire.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Finestrg
Member: #1069

3/13/2014  10:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/13/2014  10:16 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Watched some of the game. Cole was active, something Tyson can't seem to be for very long. Still would like to see Cole against better competition.
Nice game though.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, who doesn't perform well against Kris Humphries.It's also been Cole's MO to put together a few decent games to get hopes up. Then, he goes on to suck for the rest of the season.

Huh? Sorry buddy but you're way off base...First off, I consider Olynyk, Sullinger, Brandon Bass, even Humphries all solid big man competition collectively (not the best but solid) and Aldrich MORE THAN held his own against these guys. Second, what are you talking about when you say 'it's also Cole's MO to put together a few decent games to get hopes up. Then, he goes on to suck for the rest of the season"? WTF? The guy hasn't played enough to even have an MO!! The kid hasn't gotten a real chance on this team outside of garbage time...and then end of garbage time at that. Went games on end without playing, even when we could've used him with guys like Chandler, Amar'e and Martin in & out of the lineup all season! Maybe you were referring to Tyson -- that statement applies more to Chandler than it does Cole Aldrich.

See this doesn't look like much but in my book it's yet another failure for Mike Woodson this season. Briggs is spot on -- playing Cole Aldrich when we were down some of our big men all season absolutely would've translated into a few more wins. No question about that. My guess is Woodson took this guy as the 15th man just because he thought he needed another big body, nothing more. I bet he knew next to nothing about what he could really do, what kind of a player he was at Kansas, etc., and that's a shame. Kudos to Cole for staying ready & being a good teammate throughout...See, I'd be willing to bet a guy like Steve Kerr wouldn't make this kind of mistake. Kerr strikes me as a guy who has a much better feel for player capabilities and a better feel for personnel in general, either on his own team or around the league. Look at Jeff Van Gundy -- he appreciated and valued (and actually played and got some good minutes out of) Chris Dudley. Well Cole Aldrich is a much better version of Dudley. JVG would've loved to have had a Cole Aldrich on the squad back then. Unlike Woodson, Jeff would've gotten the most outta this dude...This comes off as a huge swing and a miss by Woodson here. F that -- more like a strikeout looking with the tying run on base...Don't know how Cole actually feels (maybe he actually has a decent relationship with Woodson, who knows) but if I had to guess, he'll only entertain coming back to NY if there's a new head coach in place for next year. If he felt like that, I wouldn't blame him. If the Knicks were smart they'd sign this dude up right now to a vet minimum deal for 2-3 more seasons. Don't even wait for him to have more impact games like last night. If we wait, we'll be shooting ourselves in the foot all over again like we did last year with Copeland. Cole may accept those terms on the spot -- I bet he'd want the security...

Said it in the game thread last night and I wanna throw it out there again -- Aldrich needs to leapfrog Tyler in the rotation for the remainder of the season. He's the higher impact big man of the two by far. Not even close. Tyler's greener than green man. Dude has a ways to go. I said myself that maybe the ceiling could be Vin Baker for Tyler but I don't see that anymore. Haven't felt like that for awhile..Dude's a mess...I'd actually like to see Earl Clark over Tyler as well..

sealy
Member: #3291
USA
3/13/2014  10:09 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

So true.

It's so irritating to think we could still have a first and be giving minutes to Cole, Tyler and a guy like Henry Sims instead of forcing Bargs into this lineup.

blkexec
Member: #748
3/13/2014  10:20 AM
sealy wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

So true.

It's so irritating to think we could still have a first and be giving minutes to Cole, Tyler and a guy like Henry Sims instead of forcing Bargs into this lineup.

Man I wish I was getting 12 mil to consult the knicks. I preached about trading chandler all season.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/13/2014  11:38 AM
Finestrg wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Nice game though.

Huh? Sorry buddy but you're way off base...First off, I consider Olynyk, Sullinger, Brandon Bass, even Humphries all solid big man competition collectively (not the best but solid) and Aldrich MORE THAN held his own against these guys. Second, what are you talking about when you say 'it's also Cole's MO to put together a few decent games to get hopes up. Then, he goes on to suck for the rest of the season"? WTF? The guy hasn't played enough to even have an MO!! The kid hasn't gotten a real chance on this team outside of garbage time...and then end of garbage time at that. Went games on end without playing, even when we could've used him with guys like Chandler, Amar'e and Martin in & out of the lineup all season! Maybe you were referring to Tyson -- that statement applies more to Chandler than it does Cole Aldrich.

See this doesn't look like much but in my book it's yet another failure for Mike Woodson this season. Briggs is spot on -- playing Cole Aldrich when we were down some of our big men all season absolutely would've translated into a few more wins. No question about that. My guess is Woodson took this guy as the 15th man just because he thought he needed another big body, nothing more. I bet he knew next to nothing about what he could really do, what kind of a player he was at Kansas, etc., and that's a shame. Kudos to Cole for staying ready & being a good teammate throughout...See, I'd be willing to bet a guy like Steve Kerr wouldn't make this kind of mistake. Kerr strikes me as a guy who has a much better feel for player capabilities and a better feel for personnel in general, either on his own team or around the league. Look at Jeff Van Gundy -- he appreciated and valued (and actually played and got some good minutes out of) Chris Dudley. Well Cole Aldrich is a much better version of Dudley. JVG would've loved to have had a Cole Aldrich on the squad back then. Unlike Woodson, Jeff would've gotten the most outta this dude...This comes off as a huge swing and a miss by Woodson here. F that -- more like a strikeout looking with the tying run on base...Don't know how Cole actually feels (maybe he actually has a decent relationship with Woodson, who knows) but if I had to guess, he'll only entertain coming back to NY if there's a new head coach in place for next year. If he felt like that, I wouldn't blame him. If the Knicks were smart they'd sign this dude up right now to a vet minimum deal for 2-3 more seasons. Don't even wait for him to have more impact games like last night. If we wait, we'll be shooting ourselves in the foot all over again like we did last year with Copeland. Cole may accept those terms on the spot -- I bet he'd want the security...

Said it in the game thread last night and I wanna throw it out there again -- Aldrich needs to leapfrog Tyler in the rotation for the remainder of the season. He's the higher impact big man of the two by far. Not even close. Tyler's greener than green man. Dude has a ways to go. I said myself that maybe the ceiling could be Vin Baker for Tyler but I don't see that anymore. Haven't felt like that for awhile..Dude's a mess...I'd actually like to see Earl Clark over Tyler as well..

Humphries is solid offensive big, but his defense sucks. Especially as a center. This is what, Cole's fourth team? He hasn't played enough? There are more talented guys out there who wished they had that many opportunities. Maybe he has turned the corner, but I need more than one good game against kris humphries to start worrying about his feelings during the free agency signing period. My guess is that he will be available as third string center at the end of this season and he will be available for us to sign.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/13/2014  11:59 AM
so.. what I saw:
At least three times he lost rebounds he could have had. Either stripped or he just didnt get both hands on the ball
At least twice he was unable to finish from point blank range. One blown dunk and another blown layup (he altered ths shot rather than attack) so over all he didnt finish around the rim very well at all.

Against a team with a real big I think he would have looked pretty bad last night. We had a guy who was hitting every shot he took at some point in the game. Melo started by hitting everything. Then THjr in the second. JR had stretches (nifty post moves! how does JR develop post moves but Chandler cant?). My point is just that Cole's mistakes didnt hurt us.

The good: He seems to have a high IQ, knows where to be, gets good position, plays physical, doesnt back down, sets a nice pick, makes some good passes... I mean he was an absolute beast in college, maybe his game didnt translate and its taking him some years to figure it out. I can see upside with him because most of the bad see is correctable. I can see a Brad Miller (sorry for the white dudes comparison) type of game.

I love Earl Clark. Love him coming out of college. Not really sure why hes struggled so much. I thought he would be another Drew Gooden. Excellent rebounder, stretch 4. Not a great player but a good rotation guy. Maybe he helps us.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/13/2014  12:10 PM
gunsnewing wrote:I wonder what Phil will do with Bargnani

Trade him and Melo to Denver for two, no, make that one second rounder. We can than use that pick to draft a real player, like one of Renaldo Balkman's kids...

Cole Aldrich Appreciation Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy