[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jeremy Lin is a big reason Houston is doing so well
Author Thread
Marcala12
Posts: 20076
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/21/2012
Member: #3972

3/10/2014  11:37 PM
mreinman wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:mreinman - are you Asian? all jokes aside, please answer that question.

are you polish?

are you ashamed or something? why can't you proudly tell me that you're an Asian man? Is it because it would make your bias obvious? Jeremy has one of the worst contracts in the NBA, the Rockets put him on the market and nobody wanted him. What he's done in the last two playoffs is a total embarrassment. He's a very inconsistent backup point guard. So for someone to make a serious case that one of the best teams in the league should focus more on using the scrub than placating HArden...i mean that goes beyond the bias of being a fan. And that's why I guessed that you were Asian, and that's why I was right.

You are a loser with bad reading comprehension, and, you are a bad guesser.

If someone likes Lin it means they are asian? How dumb and racist is that?

Btw, I am jewish and did not go to harvard. SMH

I will not even address your comments because they are so out there.


if you're not ASian, then it's a slam dunk that you're sexually attracted to Jeremy Lin. You said you watch the Rockets for Lin. The guy is a scrub and you come here when he hits one shot? He's a backup pg bud. are you gay for Lin?

AUTOADVERT
dk7th
Posts: 30006
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 5/14/2012
Member: #4228
USA
3/10/2014  11:39 PM
Uptown wrote:
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
tkf wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Ha, I knew this would happen- strange you didn't post his stats in the game previous to this:


11 Pts
2 Pts
7 Pts
4 Pts
6 Pts
11 Pts
2 Pts

He was down to 16 mins a game at one point, averaged 3 Assists and 3 TOs- he is irrelevant to the Rockets, but keep the fantasy alive by only posting when he has the occasional good game!

interesting that melo being +31 in the last game despite having the flu isn't discussed but if you post a thread speculating that melo somehow caused lin to leave ny it will end up 25 pages long. Nice game by lin and a big shot but he is where the money was. In ny he would get minutes in Houston he got paid

HE IS playing for a contender in Houston.. NY is in the lottery as we speak.. not a bad decision for lin, money and a winning team.....

Prior to the Harden acquisition, they were going to be a 30 win team max. He got the best offer he could. Can't blame him, but lets not make stuff up to make it seem like anything other then that.

True...Houston would be an elite team even without Lin....

how exactly? you are implying he has zero value and/or his 29 minutes of production is easily replaceable.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
Marcala12
Posts: 20076
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/21/2012
Member: #3972

3/10/2014  11:48 PM
dk7th wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
tkf wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Ha, I knew this would happen- strange you didn't post his stats in the game previous to this:


11 Pts
2 Pts
7 Pts
4 Pts
6 Pts
11 Pts
2 Pts

He was down to 16 mins a game at one point, averaged 3 Assists and 3 TOs- he is irrelevant to the Rockets, but keep the fantasy alive by only posting when he has the occasional good game!

interesting that melo being +31 in the last game despite having the flu isn't discussed but if you post a thread speculating that melo somehow caused lin to leave ny it will end up 25 pages long. Nice game by lin and a big shot but he is where the money was. In ny he would get minutes in Houston he got paid

HE IS playing for a contender in Houston.. NY is in the lottery as we speak.. not a bad decision for lin, money and a winning team.....

Prior to the Harden acquisition, they were going to be a 30 win team max. He got the best offer he could. Can't blame him, but lets not make stuff up to make it seem like anything other then that.

True...Houston would be an elite team even without Lin....

how exactly? you are implying he has zero value and/or his 29 minutes of production is easily replaceable.

if you take the 7th best player off of any really good team, they'll still probably be really good.

dk7th
Posts: 30006
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 5/14/2012
Member: #4228
USA
3/10/2014  11:59 PM
Marcala12 wrote:
dk7th wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
tkf wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Ha, I knew this would happen- strange you didn't post his stats in the game previous to this:


11 Pts
2 Pts
7 Pts
4 Pts
6 Pts
11 Pts
2 Pts

He was down to 16 mins a game at one point, averaged 3 Assists and 3 TOs- he is irrelevant to the Rockets, but keep the fantasy alive by only posting when he has the occasional good game!

interesting that melo being +31 in the last game despite having the flu isn't discussed but if you post a thread speculating that melo somehow caused lin to leave ny it will end up 25 pages long. Nice game by lin and a big shot but he is where the money was. In ny he would get minutes in Houston he got paid

HE IS playing for a contender in Houston.. NY is in the lottery as we speak.. not a bad decision for lin, money and a winning team.....

Prior to the Harden acquisition, they were going to be a 30 win team max. He got the best offer he could. Can't blame him, but lets not make stuff up to make it seem like anything other then that.

True...Houston would be an elite team even without Lin....

how exactly? you are implying he has zero value and/or his 29 minutes of production is easily replaceable.

if you take the 7th best player off of any really good team, they'll still probably be really good.

he is fifth on the team in minutes played. how does that translate to 7th man in your neural network?

when ginobili come off the bench is it because he is not a starter?

omri casspi is houston's 7th man.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
mreinman
Posts: 37827
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/14/2010
Member: #3189

3/11/2014  12:00 AM
Marcala12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:mreinman - are you Asian? all jokes aside, please answer that question.

are you polish?

are you ashamed or something? why can't you proudly tell me that you're an Asian man? Is it because it would make your bias obvious? Jeremy has one of the worst contracts in the NBA, the Rockets put him on the market and nobody wanted him. What he's done in the last two playoffs is a total embarrassment. He's a very inconsistent backup point guard. So for someone to make a serious case that one of the best teams in the league should focus more on using the scrub than placating HArden...i mean that goes beyond the bias of being a fan. And that's why I guessed that you were Asian, and that's why I was right.

You are a loser with bad reading comprehension, and, you are a bad guesser.

If someone likes Lin it means they are asian? How dumb and racist is that?

Btw, I am jewish and did not go to harvard. SMH

I will not even address your comments because they are so out there.


if you're not ASian, then it's a slam dunk that you're sexually attracted to Jeremy Lin. You said you watch the Rockets for Lin. The guy is a scrub and you come here when he hits one shot? He's a backup pg bud. are you gay for Lin?

Martin, Andrew, Is this ok?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
machomet25
Posts: 20018
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/15/2012
Member: #3923

3/11/2014  1:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/11/2014  1:09 AM
The bottom line is that at worst Lin is an inconsistent player. But in general he's an above average PG. Since leaving the Knicks he has improved on pretty much every facet of his game.

He's on a team that's terrible for him fit wise since Harden does what he does but better, but he's adjusted well and not complained publicly once.

Wouldn't be surprised if he won 6th man if the Rockets keep playing at this level of basketball. It's very impressive.

Edit: And what's up with the comments above from Marcala?? Is race/sexuality prodding allowed on this board?

NumberTwoPencil
Posts: 20926
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/31/2003
Member: #481
USA
3/11/2014  1:40 AM
I'm with machomet25 on Lin . . . he's a solid player in a somewhat difficult situation and, yes, I can see him, assuming he continues to grow as a player, ending up with 6th man award next year in Houston.

I do think, on the right team, Lin might be a solid starting PG. Yes, he's somewhat overpaid but, ahem, there are one or two other overpaid players in the league.

Marcala12
Posts: 20076
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/21/2012
Member: #3972

3/11/2014  4:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/11/2014  4:50 AM
dk7th wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:
dk7th wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
tkf wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Ha, I knew this would happen- strange you didn't post his stats in the game previous to this:


11 Pts
2 Pts
7 Pts
4 Pts
6 Pts
11 Pts
2 Pts

He was down to 16 mins a game at one point, averaged 3 Assists and 3 TOs- he is irrelevant to the Rockets, but keep the fantasy alive by only posting when he has the occasional good game!

interesting that melo being +31 in the last game despite having the flu isn't discussed but if you post a thread speculating that melo somehow caused lin to leave ny it will end up 25 pages long. Nice game by lin and a big shot but he is where the money was. In ny he would get minutes in Houston he got paid

HE IS playing for a contender in Houston.. NY is in the lottery as we speak.. not a bad decision for lin, money and a winning team.....

Prior to the Harden acquisition, they were going to be a 30 win team max. He got the best offer he could. Can't blame him, but lets not make stuff up to make it seem like anything other then that.

True...Houston would be an elite team even without Lin....

how exactly? you are implying he has zero value and/or his 29 minutes of production is easily replaceable.

if you take the 7th best player off of any really good team, they'll still probably be really good.

he is fifth on the team in minutes played. how does that translate to 7th man in your neural network?

when ginobili come off the bench is it because he is not a starter?

omri casspi is houston's 7th man.


i didn't say he was 7th in minutes played, i said he was the 7th best player they have. You can make an argument that he's the 6th, but certainly not better than that. He played some minutes because of injuries they've dealt with throughout the year. But when healthy, they've made it pretty clear that "less Lin" is better than "more Lin." and they tried to dump him on someone, but nobody in the league wanted him. he was a cute story, knicks fans owe him for reviving our season that year and giving us a lot of entertainment that year. He owes the knicks for giving him a chance when his career was on life support.

but the funniest thing is when people watch 48 minute of Rockets' games purely for the 16 minutes a game Jeremy plays these days. And then when they don't play around Lin, a scrub, people (ASians and/or those sexually attracted to Lin), yell and cry because they think the rockets should play through Lin instead of Harden. It's so funny. And so obvious. WE all know Lin is going to get paid like a backup pg when this contract is done, because that's all he is. What are we talking about here? A scrub went to another team for way too much money; he's a backup there, they don't want him, nobody wanted him before the knicks, and nobody wanted him when the rockets put him on the market. WHAT IN GOD's NAME ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

Marcala12
Posts: 20076
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/21/2012
Member: #3972

3/11/2014  4:34 AM
mreinman wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:mreinman - are you Asian? all jokes aside, please answer that question.

are you polish?

are you ashamed or something? why can't you proudly tell me that you're an Asian man? Is it because it would make your bias obvious? Jeremy has one of the worst contracts in the NBA, the Rockets put him on the market and nobody wanted him. What he's done in the last two playoffs is a total embarrassment. He's a very inconsistent backup point guard. So for someone to make a serious case that one of the best teams in the league should focus more on using the scrub than placating HArden...i mean that goes beyond the bias of being a fan. And that's why I guessed that you were Asian, and that's why I was right.

You are a loser with bad reading comprehension, and, you are a bad guesser.

If someone likes Lin it means they are asian? How dumb and racist is that?

Btw, I am jewish and did not go to harvard. SMH

I will not even address your comments because they are so out there.


if you're not ASian, then it's a slam dunk that you're sexually attracted to Jeremy Lin. You said you watch the Rockets for Lin. The guy is a scrub and you come here when he hits one shot? He's a backup pg bud. are you gay for Lin?

Martin, Andrew, Is this ok?

pu$$y

Marcala12
Posts: 20076
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/21/2012
Member: #3972

3/11/2014  4:49 AM
machomet25 wrote:The bottom line is that at worst Lin is an inconsistent player. But in general he's an above average PG. Since leaving the Knicks he has improved on pretty much every facet of his game.

He's on a team that's terrible for him fit wise since Harden does what he does but better, but he's adjusted well and not complained publicly once.

Wouldn't be surprised if he won 6th man if the Rockets keep playing at this level of basketball. It's very impressive.

Edit: And what's up with the comments above from Marcala?? Is race/sexuality prodding allowed on this board?

let's be human. Nothing i said would be taken offensively by anyone unless they were looking for material to take offensively. Being gay, being Asian = wonderful. no problem with any of that. I just don't see a reason why anyone would keep talking about Lin on a knicks board every time he has a good game unless they were Asian or gay for Lin. Seriously, that's the only way it would make sense to me. People root for their own kind, pretty sure the Olympics is an example of that. And people root for those they're infatuated with. There's nothing wrong with doing that and there is nothing wrong with being any race or sexual orientation, obviously. But to me, it is not a stretch to think that those distinguishable characteristics could impact whether or not someone would be so defensive about Lin on this board. Why is there anything wrong with making the observation that Asian Knicks fans are more likely to follow Lin's career outside of NY closely than Non-Asian fans would? We all know that's true, so what is wrong with saying it?

I hope you realize how ridiculous it is to keep making Lin threads, and to only make them when he has a good game. The guy is shooting 30% in the last 10 games; nobody made a thread about that. But he hit a game winner and bam, there's a multiple page thread. That kind of pheonomen merits a little analysis on why it keeps happening like this. I gave you my analysis, i don't see how you can argue with me about whether Asian knicks fans are more likely to root for lin, and i find it insane that you'd try to make that statement out to be racist in any way. To find racism or bigotry in my statement, shows the type of race baiting and over the top political correctness that most people don't want anywhere near this board. We certainly dealt with in the MArcus Smart thread; when people had the "even if he didn't say anything racist, he's still a racist" attitude about the fan.

Some people root for Lin extra hard because they're Asian, maybe a few do because they have a crush on him. IF you're a knicks fan and you follow Lin obsessively, and you don't fall into either of those categories, God bless you. But would you mind explaining to me why you feel the need to post about Lin on this board only when he has a good game, and never after he has a bad week or month?

Andrew
Posts: 26493
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #1
USA
3/11/2014  7:46 AM
Marcala12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:
mreinman wrote:
Marcala12 wrote:mreinman - are you Asian? all jokes aside, please answer that question.

are you polish?

are you ashamed or something? why can't you proudly tell me that you're an Asian man? Is it because it would make your bias obvious? Jeremy has one of the worst contracts in the NBA, the Rockets put him on the market and nobody wanted him. What he's done in the last two playoffs is a total embarrassment. He's a very inconsistent backup point guard. So for someone to make a serious case that one of the best teams in the league should focus more on using the scrub than placating HArden...i mean that goes beyond the bias of being a fan. And that's why I guessed that you were Asian, and that's why I was right.

You are a loser with bad reading comprehension, and, you are a bad guesser.

If someone likes Lin it means they are asian? How dumb and racist is that?

Btw, I am jewish and did not go to harvard. SMH

I will not even address your comments because they are so out there.


if you're not ASian, then it's a slam dunk that you're sexually attracted to Jeremy Lin. You said you watch the Rockets for Lin. The guy is a scrub and you come here when he hits one shot? He's a backup pg bud. are you gay for Lin?

Enough on this marcala.

PURE KNICKS LOVE
rammagen
Posts: 20020
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/19/2014
Member: #5756

3/11/2014  8:25 AM
here is my issues
1. Lin is just not as good ass the fan boys make him.
2. he did not evem play 25 games for the knicks without getting hurt and bailed on the playoiffs because he would have gotten exposed by the cheat
3. He plays for another team if you like the guy great but stop posting about him in Kinck forums. This is no better then posting about waiters on the Knicks forum
4. he is the 6/7 player on a good team does he start in Houston? nope so I am not the only person with that opinion obliviously the coach thinks so as well
5. these lin fans are out of to keep posting about him in any Knick forum. Can we please get another section for lin fan boys so they can post all they want to bout him there, or hey maybe they can post in a rockets forum because you know he plays there right? Lin is no longer a Knick topic unless he plays against the Knicks let me know when he is a full time starter until then he is wasting space
RonRon
Posts: 25500
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/22/2002
Member: #246
3/11/2014  8:28 AM
Fans like Jeremy Lin here because we played our best TEAM ball and it was exciting to watch
He was able to run a system, get players involved (affecting our OFF and DEF), initiate our offense, and get players in position to hit high % shots

Woodson should have found a way to work out the differences between Melo and Lin for the sake of the team, instead he chose to take Melo's side and have him initiate our offense but that isn't his game

Regardless of Lin's 3 year 24m deal, we were capped out anyway, it didn't make a difference on our ability to improve
Due to Amare, Melo, and Tyson making the entire cap themselves with a combined salary of over 60m
I don't care of his he was an alien and or green

Felton is a backup scoring guard and not a defender/facilitator
Neither is Pablo while he is able to facilitate and shoot 3pters, he cannot defend any PG's especially starters either
Lin by default would be our best starting PG, it is just that simple
While he is not a ALL STAR by any means, he is young and can still improve, and could be a piece to the puzzle

SwishAndDish13
Posts: 20878
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/2/2013
Member: #5700

3/11/2014  9:29 AM
RonRon wrote:Fans like Jeremy Lin here because we played our best TEAM ball and it was exciting to watch
He was able to run a system, get players involved (affecting our OFF and DEF), initiate our offense, and get players in position to hit high % shots

Woodson should have found a way to work out the differences between Melo and Lin for the sake of the team, instead he chose to take Melo's side and have him initiate our offense but that isn't his game

Regardless of Lin's 3 year 24m deal, we were capped out anyway, it didn't make a difference on our ability to improve
Due to Amare, Melo, and Tyson making the entire cap themselves with a combined salary of over 60m
I don't care of his he was an alien and or green

Felton is a backup scoring guard and not a defender/facilitator
Neither is Pablo while he is able to facilitate and shoot 3pters, he cannot defend any PG's especially starters either
Lin by default would be our best starting PG, it is just that simple
While he is not a ALL STAR by any means, he is young and can still improve, and could be a piece to the puzzle

We need to keep in perspective that Lin did this in the worst regular season in NBA history. He did this against players that were dogging it and/or out of shape. Jason Kidd (everybody seem to find this guy as the main reason we won 53 games last year) flat out said he wanted to teach him how to "switch gears" throughout the season. A nice way of saying when to dog it. Once the players that are better than them had enough, the gig was up. I mean Mario Chalmers made this guy look like he needed to be in the D-League but for some reason people on the board wanna build a team around him (I am aware that you at least realize he is not an all-star).

I don't think Lin would help a ton because the Knicks score points. Their biggest problem is getting burned defensively in the backcourt (Felton/Prigs off the dribble or Shump cheating). Lin wouldn't help this at all. He is one of the worst defensive PGs in the league. Last year Felton was way better than him across the board, especially defensively so nobody said boo. Even now, grossly out of shape, Felton is about on par with Lin from a defensive stand point and that's not a good thing.

jrodmc
Posts: 30601
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
3/11/2014  11:29 AM
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
RonRon wrote:Fans like Jeremy Lin here because we played our best TEAM ball and it was exciting to watch
He was able to run a system, get players involved (affecting our OFF and DEF), initiate our offense, and get players in position to hit high % shots

Woodson should have found a way to work out the differences between Melo and Lin for the sake of the team, instead he chose to take Melo's side and have him initiate our offense but that isn't his game

Regardless of Lin's 3 year 24m deal, we were capped out anyway, it didn't make a difference on our ability to improve
Due to Amare, Melo, and Tyson making the entire cap themselves with a combined salary of over 60m
I don't care of his he was an alien and or green

Felton is a backup scoring guard and not a defender/facilitator
Neither is Pablo while he is able to facilitate and shoot 3pters, he cannot defend any PG's especially starters either
Lin by default would be our best starting PG, it is just that simple
While he is not a ALL STAR by any means, he is young and can still improve, and could be a piece to the puzzle

We need to keep in perspective that Lin did this in the worst regular season in NBA history. He did this against players that were dogging it and/or out of shape. Jason Kidd (everybody seem to find this guy as the main reason we won 53 games last year) flat out said he wanted to teach him how to "switch gears" throughout the season. A nice way of saying when to dog it. Once the players that are better than them had enough, the gig was up. I mean Mario Chalmers made this guy look like he needed to be in the D-League but for some reason people on the board wanna build a team around him (I am aware that you at least realize he is not an all-star).

I don't think Lin would help a ton because the Knicks score points. Their biggest problem is getting burned defensively in the backcourt (Felton/Prigs off the dribble or Shump cheating). Lin wouldn't help this at all. He is one of the worst defensive PGs in the league. Last year Felton was way better than him across the board, especially defensively so nobody said boo. Even now, grossly out of shape, Felton is about on par with Lin from a defensive stand point and that's not a good thing.

Very difficult to keep any kind of insanity in perspective.

Melohate, for example.

You guys spend a lot of time commenting on the internet?
NYKBocker
Posts: 35368
Alba Posts: 472
Joined: 1/14/2003
Member: #377
USA
3/11/2014  11:39 AM
SwishAndDish13 wrote:
RonRon wrote:Fans like Jeremy Lin here because we played our best TEAM ball and it was exciting to watch
He was able to run a system, get players involved (affecting our OFF and DEF), initiate our offense, and get players in position to hit high % shots

Woodson should have found a way to work out the differences between Melo and Lin for the sake of the team, instead he chose to take Melo's side and have him initiate our offense but that isn't his game

Regardless of Lin's 3 year 24m deal, we were capped out anyway, it didn't make a difference on our ability to improve
Due to Amare, Melo, and Tyson making the entire cap themselves with a combined salary of over 60m
I don't care of his he was an alien and or green

Felton is a backup scoring guard and not a defender/facilitator
Neither is Pablo while he is able to facilitate and shoot 3pters, he cannot defend any PG's especially starters either
Lin by default would be our best starting PG, it is just that simple
While he is not a ALL STAR by any means, he is young and can still improve, and could be a piece to the puzzle

We need to keep in perspective that Lin did this in the worst regular season in NBA history. He did this against players that were dogging it and/or out of shape. Jason Kidd (everybody seem to find this guy as the main reason we won 53 games last year) flat out said he wanted to teach him how to "switch gears" throughout the season. A nice way of saying when to dog it. Once the players that are better than them had enough, the gig was up. I mean Mario Chalmers made this guy look like he needed to be in the D-League but for some reason people on the board wanna build a team around him (I am aware that you at least realize he is not an all-star).

I don't think Lin would help a ton because the Knicks score points. Their biggest problem is getting burned defensively in the backcourt (Felton/Prigs off the dribble or Shump cheating). Lin wouldn't help this at all. He is one of the worst defensive PGs in the league. Last year Felton was way better than him across the board, especially defensively so nobody said boo. Even now, grossly out of shape, Felton is about on par with Lin from a defensive stand point and that's not a good thing.

If you are going to be fair, you would have to see that Lin is actually a pretty good defensive PG. He has length to bother tall guards. He stays in front of his man. He is a willing help defender that tries to get back when the ball swings. He has problems with guards like Lillard, CP3 and the like...but then again...who doesn't? So yes, he would be better defensively than any PG we have right now. Saying Felton is about on par with Lin now defensively is just not true. Felton can't guard anybody right now. Lin's defense was pretty good during linsanity..Why? Well its because he had players playing with him that knew how to play the PnR. Fishlips, Tyson, Fields and Shump all knew how to play it where they show to let the on ball defender recover. Right now with the Rockets nobody on that team knows how to play PnR defense but it works a little better because Dwight is still a presence.

NYKBocker
Posts: 35368
Alba Posts: 472
Joined: 1/14/2003
Member: #377
USA
3/11/2014  11:52 AM
Here is a post from clutchfans that I found quite interesting.

Assist Quality, the hidden perspective, Lin and Rockets


2012 SportVU released an article on “Potential Assist Locations”, which shows Lin’s potential assists contain 36% at rim opportunities, the most among PG.


As you can see from the diagram, such passes make big difference for shots at rim, not so much for long 2 and 3. However we knew that most 3pt shots were only taking when you have a open look.

Back then, there is no statistics publicly available for further quantitative analysis. Until this season NBA.com introduces SportVU passing tracking statistics.

2013-2014 season until ASB, among 100 most assisters, the median Assist Efficiency (AE) is 1.20.

Assist Efficiency (AE) = [Point created by assist per game] / [Assist Opportunities per game] (AO)

Assist Opportunity means passes result in shots, result in shooting foul not included.

Lin’s AE = 10.9/7.9 = 1.38, is 3rd among league, 1st among PGs, only 5 PGs ranked among TOP25 AE. ( Parson 1.28 Harden 1.17 Beverley 1.17)

No doubt Lin has high AE because of close to rim passes, which comes at a price: turnovers, was it worth the effort?

If we adjust Lin’s AE to 1.20, then

10.9/1.20 – 7.9 = 1.18 possessions saved (this value is 3rd among league)

In other words, Lin’s AE at 1.38 plus 1.18 TOs equals to AE at 1.20 (7.9+1.18). Call it AE compensation 1(AE_C1)

Then Lin’s AST/TO ratio is 4.5/(2.7-1.18), which is close to 3:1 with AE at 1.20, very decent.

However, for a player like Harden, many of his TOs come from aggressive scoring (euro step, ISO etc.), which reflects on FT shooting.

Harden makes 8.8 free throws per game at 85%, if we convert it to 56% TS, then

FT*FT%/0.56*2-FT/2 = 2.27 possessions

In other words, if Harden shots 8.8 free throws while TO 2.27 times, net result is decent 56% TS. Call it AE compensation 2 (AE_C2)

Combine AE_C1 and AE_C2, the highest among league are:

1st Durant AE_C1+C2 = 3.35, 2nd LBJ=2.45

3rd LIN=1.18+0.89=2.07, Harden at 4th = -0.3+2.27=1.97

Surprisingly, Lin's compensation value at 3rd despite far low usage rate, it shows Lin has rare combination of both aggressive assist and aggressive scoring. This might be added to the explanations why Lin could pull off wins despite 6 TOs per game during his Linsanity run.

Using C1,C2 to adjust AST/TO ratio,

For Lin, 4.5/(2.7-2.27)= 7.1, which is 3rd among PGs, only Chris Paul 12.98, Marshall 9.81 are higher.


Rondo’s stats is at small sample size this season, he was much better, however about one third of his assist always comes from long 2, probably the most among PG. This doesn't mean that he can’t adjust to Huston’s offense scheme. But it will come at a price.

Because current advance player rating formula such as PER has no reflection on passing efficiency, one can argue player has “high risk high reward” passing style like Lin and parson among others are undervalued, by 1.18 and 0.45 (AE_C1) respectively.

You telling me Lin can't help our team right now or last year?

NYKBocker
Posts: 35368
Alba Posts: 472
Joined: 1/14/2003
Member: #377
USA
3/11/2014  11:53 AM
and yes...I am asian. Filipino to be exact but most here already knew that.
CashMoney
Posts: 23090
Alba Posts: 4
Joined: 1/15/2011
Member: #3374
USA
3/11/2014  12:02 PM
Jeremy Lin is a reason but not a BIG reason. I would tend to go with Harden, Howard and Parson as the BIG reasons.

Yes the kid can play, he plays in Houston so F**K Lin.

Blue & Orange 4 Life!
VCoug
Posts: 24668
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/28/2007
Member: #1406

3/11/2014  12:10 PM
NYKBocker wrote:and yes...I am asian. Filipino to be exact but most here already knew that.

Clearly we need to have a demographic poll to get everyone's information. Since it's obviously not possible for a person of the same race as a player (or, apparently, a gay person) to rationally discuss NBA players. Maybe Andre and Martin could put it under our names along with the rest of our information

Knicksfans Forzingis!
Jeremy Lin is a big reason Houston is doing so well

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.