Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
11/27/2001  11:40 AM
Spree at last? Knicks looking to make a move
by Chad Ford

Marcus Camby is back. But is he enough to lead the Knicks to the promised land this year? Apparently not.

Several league sources told ESPN Insider Monday evening that the Knicks are actively seeking another big man to shore up their undersized and fragile front line. Why that might not be news, this is . . . for the first time, Knicks president Scott Layden is including Latrell Sprewell in those trade talks.

After failed attempts to lure away Raef LaFrentz from Denver, Dale Davis from Portland and Vin Baker from Seattle, the Garden guru is getting the picture that the luxury tax has made teams desperate, but not insane enough to take Othella Harrington, Charlie Ward and Travis Knight for anyone. With Allan "Juwan Howard" Houston basically untradeable due to base-year compensation rules, Camby little more than a china girl and Spree getting more surly by the loss, Layden is prepared to offer his only real asset to get a dominant big man to balance out the roster.

While the Nuggets would love to get Spree, Layden would surely want Antonio McDyess along with LaFrentz to make a deal happen in Denver. Don't hold your breath on the Nuggets giving up on McDyess. Portland would love to get its hands on Spree and a combination of Davis and perhaps Damon Stoudamire might be enough to get a deal done. But though the Blazers are high on Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje, are they willing to expose themselves in the middle when they are already stacked at shooting guard? A slimmed down Baker, whom the Knicks almost acquired in the summer of 2000 in their first attempt to trade Patrick Ewing, could be traded straight up for Sprewell. The problem is that the Sonics are growing more enamored of Baker by the day and owner Howard Schultz would have nothing to do with Spree anyway.

That hasn't stopped Layden from making the calls and the New York media from offering free advice to the embattled Knicks president. The N.Y. Post's Peter Vecsey says the Knicks should make a run at Layden's old buddy, Karl Malone. Spree in Utah? You're kidding now, right? The New York Daily News says LaFrentz, Baker and Michael Doleac are the top three options. The New York Post adds Eric Montross to the list. Clearly, the Knicks could get Olden Polynice or Doleac or Montross without dangling Spree. But sources say that Layden is through trying to patch up the Knicks' titanic-type holes.

Would Pat Riley be willing to give up Brian Grant for Spree? What about Ben Wallace for Spree in Detroit? Or Michael Olowokandi and Jeff McInnis for Spree in L.A.?

If he can't get an all-star type quality big man for Spree, would he consider pulling the plug on the Knicks and try to bring in some young legs who could develop down the road? With the exception of Lavor Postell, no Knick has less than five years experience. Their lack of athleticism is as glaring as their lack of height, and if Layden becomes convinced down the road that the Knicks aren't a playoff team this year, he wouldn't be against moving Spree for young prospects and lottery picks to begin the long overdue rebuilding process in the Garden.

Regardless of whom Layden calls, the willingness to include Spree, untouchable a year ago, in trade talks marks a clear shift in the Knicks' thinking. Spree has been openly critical of the team's direction and privately has indicated that if the Knicks don't make some major changes, he wants out. The problem for the Knicks is their inability, because of cap restraints, to make those changes without including Spree in the talks. According to a source close to Spree, he isn't against being traded, if he is sent to a contender.

"At this point in his career, he wants to compete for a championship," the source told Insider. "Nothing else matters to him."
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
11/27/2001  12:43 PM
The source that said Spree wants out of NY has been refuted by Spree publicly in the media already - responding that "they'd have to drag me out of NY"

I say we can't really rebuild unless we ditch both Houston and Spree.

One going and one staying without the other is just moving in circles.
Caseloads
11/27/2001  12:52 PM
Spree is the key to portland. He would unlock and harness the power of Sheed - with Double D upfront combined with Sheed, and Ruben Patterson/ Spree, Portland could Shaq-el LA.
prowler
Member: #135
USA
11/27/2001  1:23 PM
Personally i refuse to believe that Spree wants out of NYC. I feel as if he felt as if S Layden wasn't agressive enough in the off season in pursuing a big man. Layden wasnt brought to NYC to make excuses but rather be effective in his duties no matter what. Early in the season Spree was very critical of management so now that is why Layden has put him on the block. In my opinion that would be to out detrement. I dont think we are that far off. We are the only team that doesnt boast some spectacularly athletic rookie because they dont ever get a chance in our system. Why is this? Like i said before Knick basketball has become very unattractive. Now with all of this in mind i think this team with minor tweaking deserves another shot. For instance i think we should give Polynice a shot. Get rid of Spencer totally ,cut Robinson also. Try to get Wright back for future reference. Still pursue the golden state deal even if not for Marc Jackson check Foyle or Fortson because the are loaded up front with rebounding monsters. But ultimately i think what ails us most is the abscence of a quality athletic point man that can really control the tempo of the game. I also believe we have something in L. Postell the kid got some ups, the jumper doesnt look to bad, and he has got confidence in himself only thing he needs is some confidence from his coach. Anyway no matter what they do i will always love the Knicks but it will break my heart to see Spree leave. I would have to take a couple of years off from b.ball if that happens.

PS

Do u see the effort Allan is making on "D" he is starting to make me a believer.

Can we offer something to ATL for Demarr they arent using him?

Also is there any point guards out there that we have a good chance of getting by whatever means or are we satisfied with what we have?

Brent Barry looks nice and he can play the point or is seattle high on him too?
Sneak Peak
pg eisley,jax still need an upgrade
sg houston,spree,postell
sf spree,demarr
pf camby,othella,weathespoon
c jackson or foyle,polynice
knicker for life
Dano
Member: #69
11/27/2001  2:41 PM
I agree with Prowler. This Knick team deserves another shot.

An addtion of guys like Foyle, Jackson or Polynice would help alot.

Push Camby back to the 4 and have Crazy Eyes come off of the bench.

Othella is good. Someone has got to want him.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/27/2001  5:14 PM
Sprewell can't go anywhere at this point. I think it showed last night that Houston, Sprewell, and Camby can play well together and you are best off building around them and putting better players around them. LaFrentz would be tough to get, but may be had for Thomas and a first round pick if we're lucky. Harrington should be dangled for players like Doleac and Marc Jackson and a deal like that would help a lot. I don't see why all these weak scenarios are being put together for Spree. He is still an all-star and the heart and sole of this team. Camby is the glue and Houston provides instant scoring. Put it all together and all you need is a great supporting cast to win a championship. So my advise is, let this team stay together longer, keep the trade talks low key, and just let them play basketball to see what they can do. You may be surprised.

[Edited by - Knixkik on 11/27/2001 17:15:40]
killacross
Member: #58
USA
11/27/2001  8:07 PM
unless we do get mcdyess, and we are going to trade spree, lets get lamar odom. He has the biggest upside of any player available. LAMAR LAMAR LAMAR LAMAR
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
VG
Member: #68
Australia
11/28/2001  4:17 AM
Posted by killacross:

unless we do get mcdyess, and we are going to trade spree, lets get lamar odom. He has the biggest upside of any player available. LAMAR LAMAR LAMAR LAMAR

Easier said then done. Sterling said Odom's suspension doesn't mean he'll be traded and if they do want to trade him we'd have to give up a player other than Spree since the Clips are stacked at the swingman position.
Knixkik
USA
11/28/2001  5:31 AM
From Knicks Discussion Board...

NY has called Cleveland about a big man. Cleveland offered Michael Doleac for Othella Harrington. NY replied that the production doesn't match, and countered with Harrington for Chris Mihm. Cleveland is mulling it over. Even if NY does land Baker from Seattle, they are still open to trying to land another big fella. Marc Jackson wants to come to NY and rumor has it that on January 15th, he will try to force a trade to NY. Other big men on their list are (of course) Dale Davis, Eric Montross (Please no), Adonal Foyle, and Kandi Man. Do you guys realize how many busted high picks are on that list?

What do you think?
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
11/28/2001  9:31 AM
Posted by Knixkik:

NY has called Cleveland about a big man. Cleveland offered Michael Doleac for Othella Harrington. NY replied that the production doesn't match, and countered with Harrington for Chris Mihm. Cleveland is mulling it over.

Hmmm. Interesting. We might be taking a step back in this scenerio for this season, but the long term prospects are a little better with Mihm I suppose. I could see why Clevland would do this with the big Z and Diop at the center position....that is if either of them got healthy.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
11/28/2001  9:44 AM
The secret of Mihm

I kinda like the guy to be honest, he's not a big presence as of yet but he has the potential to be very good and has a very good working attitude. Doleac? Please no.

Are there any fans of Chucky Atkins here? The pistons apparently want to trade him but I'm hesitant to take him on, he's only 5'11".

Trade Spree? Hope not, but we've been through this before. AH is tradeable so let's try that first. Personally I'd try trading KT, Ward, Jax, Knight and Spencer for a legit big man (marc, Mihm or Lafrentz) and a PG. Will be tough I know.
Caseloads
11/28/2001  12:48 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

The secret of Mihm

I kinda like the guy to be honest, he's not a big presence as of yet but he has the potential to be very good and has a very good working attitude. Doleac? Please no.

Are there any fans of Chucky Atkins here? The pistons apparently want to trade him but I'm hesitant to take him on, he's only 5'11".

Trade Spree? Hope not, but we've been through this before. AH is tradeable so let's try that first. Personally I'd try trading KT, Ward, Jax, Knight and Spencer for a legit big man (marc, Mihm or Lafrentz) and a PG. Will be tough I know.

Othella for the Secret of Mihm? Good trade for us.

He gives us youth, tradeability, size at Center, hope. The only problem is he is soft. Mihm is a poor man's version of Raef LaFrentz. Plus Mihm is only a sophomore NBA player, so he's got upside. Has a nice shooting touch too.

Chucky Atkins? I don't want a basketball player on our squad named "Chucky" as our point guard. We already have 3 chuckys on our team named Mark Jax, Eisley and Ward who chuck airballs whenever they touch the rock.

Doleac is equally a big no-no.
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
11/28/2001  2:36 PM
Chris Mihm, yes please.

Chucky Atkins, maybe.

Mike Doleac, no way!
We suck.
Caseloads
11/28/2001  4:02 PM
Posted by MCfan23:

Chris Mihm, yes please.

Chucky Atkins, maybe.

Mike Doleac, no way!
Chucky is worse than Eisley and not any improvement over Ward
Knixkik
USA
11/28/2001  5:49 PM
Posted by MCfan23:

Chris Mihm, yes please.

Chucky Atkins, maybe.

Mike Doleac, no way!
I would do Harrington for Doleac just because Doleac provides about the same as Othella on offense, but being nearly 7 feet, adds more size and better rebounding to the Knicks. Though he would be nice, i would obviously prefer Chris Mihm or DeSagana Diop, but i don't think that will happen anytime soon.
Knixkik
USA
11/28/2001  5:54 PM
Some tidbits from various sources...

Bergen Records

The Knicks are still trying to add a post player, though. Two of the names that have come up are Seattle's Vin Baker and Denver's Raef LaFrentz. Both are 6 feet 11.

Baker, who nearly became a Knick two summers ago in a proposed deal that included Patrick Ewing, has four years remaining on his contract. LaFrentz becomes a free agent after this season.

Reportedly, the Nuggets are looking for quality players for the third overall pick in the 1998 draft. The Knicks have been dangling Charlie Ward, Othella Harrington, and Travis Knight. They will likely have a hard time landing Baker or LaFrentz unless they upgrade who they're willing to trade.

BskBALL.com

11/28- MALONE NOT ON THE BLOCK - After the NBA world got all excited yesterday when Rick Bucher of ESPN the Magazine mirrored comments made by The NY Post's Peter Vecsey suggesting Utah's Karl Malone would want out of Utah, naming Dallas and Portland as possible spots (The Knicks were mentioned too). Malone has been heard talking of life elsewhere, and he has requested a trade several times over his career in Utah, but Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is telling media that the only talks he's had regarding Karl Malone in Dallas were "2 seconds" and entirely "what if", and there are not any serious discussions or a frame work of a deal in place. Cuban went on to say he hadn't spoken about Karl Malone since early in the summer, and was surprised the story was just getting out. The Mavs claim limited interest in Malone. Regarding the Knicks pursuit of a big man, the Knicks are apparently shopping a few packages including Charlie Ward and Kurt Thomas trying to drum up something, and finding NO takers. The Knicks are being told if Latrell Sprewell were involved in a deal something might start working in the Knicks favor, but at this point Knicks GM Scott Layden is shopping his garbage, and no one wants it, that's why there has been no deals.
Caseloads
11/28/2001  7:10 PM
Posted by Knixkik:
Posted by MCfan23:

Chris Mihm, yes please.

Chucky Atkins, maybe.

Mike Doleac, no way!
I would do Harrington for Doleac just because Doleac provides about the same as Othella on offense, but being nearly 7 feet, adds more size and better rebounding to the Knicks. Though he would be nice, i would obviously prefer Chris Mihm or DeSagana Diop, but i don't think that will happen anytime soon.
We should have gotten Raef for KT last year, damnit.
vinzie27
Member: #129
11/28/2001  7:21 PM
i really like Mihm. hope its possible to get him but i doubt they would take harrington for him. i dont understand why layden wont pick up polynice. he isnt the greatest but he can play center and we can move camby to the 4.
Caseloads
11/29/2001  2:27 AM
Posted by vinzie27:

i really like Mihm. hope its possible to get him but i doubt they would take harrington for him. i dont understand why layden wont pick up polynice. he isnt the greatest but he can play center and we can move camby to the 4.
No one in the League is touching Polynice. I have no idea why not. Oh well.
Insider...Spree

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy