[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Tony Parker
Author Thread
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
5/16/2004  10:05 PM
Enyspree: I think you and TKF have proven your points. I totally agree, I'll just hop aboard the bandwagon. The sports world is the playground for the reactionary. Somebody has a good game, or shows promise (and it’s a player mainstream America will accept) then people already start engraving their name into the Hall of Fame.

Around here at this board, it seems like some “knick fans” and I use that term loosely, will try and find any excuse to marginalize the organization in particular, and Zeke and Marbury specifically. Parker doesn’t have any where near the body of work of Marbury, but it didn’t stop some people. Parker has a couple of good games and oddly enough that is some sort of validation against Zeke and Marbury.

The mainstream media role in this is pretty shameful. Tony Parker is European, has the right features, is “non threatening”, and not from the “ghetto” so of course he gets hyped up. Meanwhile, Allen Iverson puts the Sixers on his back and leads them to the Finals in 2000 and all the media wants to do is talk about his posse, tattoos, and rap songs. The condescending drivel drips of the page when it comes to guys like A.I...no matter how good they are.

Furthermore, the press blames the NBA woes on the young Black American player and his supposed lack of skills. While every European is exalted and treated as if they all put up Dirk Nowitzki numbers. (speaking of Dirk, the media considers Dirk a star, while Chris Webber is a choke artist, neither has been to an NBA final)

“Euro’s work so much harder, and have so much more skills then our players” is a typical sentiment. Our = those blacks from the inner city. I just wont blame “the white man”, because Barkley has perpetuated the same junk.

All of this is nothing new tho…not surprised.

My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/17/2004  1:56 PM

Some of the Euros go pro at 14 and don't have school to attend and don't live with family's anymore.

Physically they are undeveleoped vs. American players. They are not as strong as U.S. players at similar ages.

They don't work harder.

I do think Marbs is hyped a lot and nothing taken from him. He was far enough to be picked for the Olympics, and his talent is undeniable. Kidd overcame his image by WINNING. Parker now eliminated is gone and forgotten. Laker unity is the buzz.

Hell of a thread that took a life of its own.
\
NBA will be very Pro Euro as they want to take over the leagues already there. IM suprised so many teams let their players walk even with buyout money.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/17/2004  6:57 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Hell of a thread that took a life of its own.

Yeah man this thread lasted longer than I expected when I started it.

It's a definately an issue.....

Euro's like Darko get gurenteed millions while guys like Marquis Daniels gotta struggle just to get a roster spot. Why do these guys get the special treatment? Why is ok to wait for them to "develop"? Why should High School players go back to school?

The Euro game is nothing but College level games. What is so special or different? Cuz it has pro next to it?

Why would Detroit draft Darko just to wait for years if Carmelo was right there? Cuz they didn't think Carmelo would play well and they figured Darko would probably blow.....bullshtt. You gotta draft Carmelo period. Tashaun Prince ain't no Carmelo. Imagine if they had Carmelo now with Sheed? What?

Tony at 19 is a shining star before he proved anything.....to me Tony Parker still hasn't proved anything. So he was hot in the first round? Wow....so he torched a old and disgruntled Payton. Tony was back down to earth in the last few games....

Marbury and Iverson at 19 were under a microscope. They did nothing but kick arse since they came in the league. All you ever hear about is the tats and the entrourage.....what the hell? Game should recognize game.

The game of basketball is getting like Hip-hop....people don't know what the real thing is anymore.

[Edited by - enyspree on 05/17/2004 19:22:08]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
USA
5/18/2004  11:18 PM
Marbs and Iverson came out of college with a ton of hype, and high expectations. they were young, very talented and very brash. They put themselves under the microscope. And got huge money and shoes.

darko got a nice 3 year deal, no shoe and not much hype except the high pick. I see your point. Tony had no hype at all. A low risk pick for Spurs that turned out nice.

The media loves a cinderella story. Daniels and other low picks whom turn out did not have the hype coming out of school, but at least had the opportunity to rise. In fact, a second round pick whom shines has better upside cash potential than a late first rounder.

Dudes like Milos got hand as they making 2 million in Euroland, and don't have to come over here. That is until the money is more available. Thats how Euro Hype is born. Freaking Lampe was drafted right were he should have. Gms are afraid of passing up these kids in fear of missing the next Dirk. Darko has yet to even turn 19 yet, he is still growing into the next "Drago" (Rocky III). HE got Larry grooming him.

Can we talk about the hype Kwame Brown got??? And Michaels big blunder?? (MIke Starphuched himself) If the ansewr is his potential, then its similar to Darko, and other Players, regardless of background (US or Euro).

And the thread lives on................
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/19/2004  12:17 AM
This thread has turned into a beast, but you guys make some good points. One thing I would like to mention and I think you guys touched on this, is not only the media but corperate america likes the clean cut guy, they are the guys who buy the luxury boxes at the arenas, and they just don't relate to this new generation of players, but their kids do, their kids friends do, and that is the truth... I almost bought into the Euro players being more skilled early, but that is not the truth, because the more I see guys like Dwayne wade, Boozer, sweenty, melo, the more I think we should start looking into drafting seasoned college players, and I am talking about guys with 2 to 3 years college under thir belts also. Look at guys like Arenas, Josh Howard, Boozer, and even our own Frank williams, these are guys who can play right now, I think this league has been Euro Phuched( stealing Nalod's term) case in point Detroit not taking melo. there is no excuse for not taking him over Darko, I even remember the scouting report on Nesterovic, he was supposed to be a very athetic player with a great shot...LOL.. yea give me a break, I think the league has gone out of their way to bring in euro players and there is a huge reason for that( but I will not go there). I just hope The NBA wakes up and as enyspree said, Recognizes game for Game!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
USA
5/19/2004  9:10 AM
Yes, seasoned players are desirable. The 21 yr old euro is well seasoned, certainly more than High School kid.

I agree with college. These kids understand a little more about life in general and have an education. They also realize life is more than owning the biggest SUV and 100 pair of sneakers. Being an 18 year old multi millonaire is cool, but lots of kids are not going to make it. They are coddled and idolized, but there is great pressure at the pro level and emotionally some might not be ready.

There are lebron and Amare, but here are the Kwame and Leons also. Is it any different risk to take an older player? They bust also.

I don't know the answer.

THe NBA needs to be both Ghetto and clean cut at the same time to appeal to different demographics. Its not one or the other. A guy like Marbury can jump on a street image cuz it makes him a ton of money in endorsments. Hang out with top rap artists and live that high life is big marketing. Shane Battier may be president one day, but his endorsments are not like other players.

IM not passing any kind of judgement. WHile I cannot relate to some of the marketing goals of the NBA and its sponsers, its not hard to see they are imaging to the existing culture that is youthful and the youth always has the rebellion in them. From Elvis to the beatles, stones, punk, grundge, to current Skateboard punk and hip-hop the younger market is a big one and full of attitude!

The Euro market is a big one. Basketball is huge and some great players are being developed. The NBA wants to expand into Europe. Europe while they hate us still like our hoop. ITs inevitable.

China out there also.

High School kids are way over hyped. The big fashion is "decaring for the draft" and then pulling out. It puts your name out there and creates the "cred" thing. Nobody complaining about that.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/19/2004  10:04 AM
I agree, the NBA needs to be a little clean cut and a little rough around the edges, it does appeal to both crowds. I also agree that a lot of NBA teams need to leave these HS kids alone, the Kobe's, Lebrons and Amare's are the exception and not the rule. Behind a lot of these kids are greedy "hangers on" as I call them and they see dollar signs instead of what is best for the kids... This will eventually hurt the college game and the pro game.. I still wonder how happy the bulls are with the Brand for Chandler trade?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
USA
5/19/2004  1:52 PM
Chi town could have had Curry, brand, Artest in front court! Set for years and tough big men.

I don't have all they could have kept or not, but just those three could anchor a team for years!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/19/2004  7:11 PM
the NBA needs to leave the Euro's alone too....I'm talking about these 18 year old ones....they are just the same as the 18 year old high schoolers. There is absolutely no difference.

The NBA needs to stick with college and the stand out stars in europe that are already established. I'm sick of seeing guys sit for years...what the hell is that all about?
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
OT: Tony Parker

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy