[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Tony Parker
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/8/2004  12:58 PM
Reading between the lines, it sounds like black dudes whom are for black dudes and pissed off white Euros are getting run.

Why not mentions the black euros, Brazilian, and African?

Dudes like Ginobli are 25, unhearalded and come in a kick ass! Gasol was top 5 pick, and doing fine.

Plain and simple, you can get the run, but don't produce, you get no chance and no bucks. Prove yourself, you can stay and make a fortune.

This thread is getting silly.

I'll say it once and blantent: Maybe if the NBA gets too freaking Ghetto, it will turn a lot of people off! If it gets too Euro, it will do the same. But it ain't too Euro yet. NOt too Asian, Not too Native African, Brazilian or anything else. So what are some of you really trying to say? NO body should get hyped unless they are US black players? Amare? Carmelo? Lebron? Omeka? Howard? Telfair will get a lot of shoe money and may not even be a lotto pick? Not too many crying here about that! Marbs gets lots of hype, a big contract and a shoe. Lots of money to market for a street Cred. Its really a sell out, but thats why these guys play for, lots of cash, fame and perhaps winning.

Looks like the most of the hype is still good old USA players. A few Non USA white players creep into the picture each year and y'all start crying. Go ahead, if your going to play the card, pull it out for everybody to see. Otherwise this thread is bull and let it die.

And don't hit me with racist overtones, I did not start this crap and have supported NBA hoops my whole life. I know dudes that don't like NBA cuz its a "black mans league" which is crap I don't even go there with.
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/8/2004  2:20 PM
stop reading between lines, because you are not good at it... It seems like you are making it a race issue, All want to see is good basketball, and so far the NBA is mediocre...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/8/2004  2:33 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Why not mentions the black euros, Brazilian, and African?

Tony is Black ain't he.

Why you gotta pull the race card? That's a whole different thing and I could go back to the days of Bernard King when he should have gotten the MVP one year but they gave it to Bird.

Pau and Giniobili are good players and still weren't as hyped as Tony has been. Not even Dirk who started all the hoopla.

Tony wasn't hyped before the draft but as soon as he was guys were finding all the feel good stories they could find. Junior world championship?

Look man Tony is a good player now but he is just that.
You can't tell me the media and even you are giving him credit out of no where? Tony is ok.....he's not doing anything we haven't seen. Like that crossover....it was a regular move that alot of guys with handle can do. What was all the fuss about it?

You guys keep saying he won a title....so did Bruce Bowen....does that mean Bowen is better than Reggie Miller?
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

5/9/2004  1:15 PM
63 posts!!!!

And some of you guys said this was a lame topic!

Face it fellas it was a real great chat.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
USA
5/9/2004  3:26 PM
Is tony black?

Hell, I can't tell what he is. He ain't really french much as I can tell either.
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
5/9/2004  3:51 PM
vedy interesting...... tony the tiger, tiny tim, and public enemy kept my shaking my head. seems like you and tkf comprises 50% or better of 63 post. too bad you had nothing to say about da glove and his uninvolving play

btw, if this was playa posting like this, you hear no end from tkf and others
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
EnySpree

5/9/2004  6:48 PM
Posted by Bobby:

vedy interesting...... tony the tiger, tiny tim, and public enemy kept my shaking my head. seems like you and tkf comprises 50% or better of 63 post. too bad you had nothing to say about da glove and his uninvolving play

btw, if this was playa posting like this, you hear no end from tkf and others

Geez Bobby....let Playa live....they banned the guy twice from this site. No need to put his name in it and he can't come and make it worse
EnySpree

5/9/2004  6:54 PM
Ok when Bibby was traded for White Chocolate he wasn't hyped but they said he fit better which was true.

Then Bibby almost carried the Kings to a title by himself when Webber, Stoyo and Christie disappeared. Bibby got the respect of the Lakers after that game and he got his contract.

Still after all this Tony Parker still is more hyped then Bibby was.

*sigh*

Why even bother?

The response to this is would be "and your point is" like the rest.

kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
5/9/2004  10:42 PM
Tony Parker has a lot of holes in his game that are smoothed over in the Spurs system. You call that good coaching. So if anyone is tired of the Tony-Hype, here's my advice, turn off the sound on your TV.

But if you need to hear the soothing tones of the analysts, then take every compliment with a grain of salt. Tony Parker is heralded because he is young and fearless. You have to give props to a 21 yr old who has been playing as a PRO with older players for 5 years in a couple of leagues and he already has an NBA ring.

But Parker is doing everything as option #2. That's an easier task than the PG's who are doing it all themselves like Baron and Stephon.

The top 3:

Baron, Jason, Stephon

The next 3:

Parker, Francis, Bibby

The rest:

Miller, Billups, Cassel, Arenas, Payton, Nash, etc..
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
tkf
5/9/2004  10:58 PM
Nice game today parker.. 8 pts..LOL.. Ok lets see how the media spins this.

A) hey he is only 21

B) Hey payton stepped up today

C) say nothing

D) he is only 21... wait I already used that one..lol!!

OK I am done on this one... hehe..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
5/10/2004  11:28 AM
i come back from going away for the weekend and this thread is still blazing? i guess i am not helping since i am posting. i can understand some points that are being made. some people are thinking that tony parker is hyped up. but i think tony is a good player. is he better than marbury? no. but he is only getting the attention because a.) he is on a championship team and b.) he is playing well against the lakers. i can not say that the media is sitting there and saying, " man, this parker kid should be the newest sensation. let's promote this kid". anyone who has a good game in the playoffs will get exploited. we, as knick fans, should know. did anyone know about john starks? no. not until the '92 playoffs when he played great basketball against the bulls. in the '94 playoffs, robert horry was just as hyped up. it is the playoffs. whoever is the hero of the game will get hyped. someone mentioned bibby. i remember two years ago, bibby had a great playoff run and he was hyped as much as anyone in the playoffs at that time.

i also said before that the media does cover people in different light. it is not racial but it is based on image. jason williams of the memphis grizzlies had a great year, probably his career best. but that was'nt covered as much because of the stigma he carried in the beginning of his career. it is not the nba or stern. when i see promos, i see marbury, iverson and other people in the promos. they are talent and stern's concern is to make sure that as many people as possible sees the talent. as far as the rules, i still see iverson on the top of the list in scoring. i think the change of rules help iverson on fast breaks and finally getting rewards for all of the hard fouls he has taken throughout the years. iverson is an asset that people will pay to see. why would stern hinder that? as far as shaq goes, i think the zone was intalled with him in mind. the reason is that he was just unguardable without the hand checking rule that it was unfair. so both rules cancel out. what the heck? we can debate about this forever but people are still set about their opinions obviously.
EnySpree

5/10/2004  11:33 AM
Posted by tkf:

Nice game today parker.. 8 pts..LOL.. Ok lets see how the media spins this.

A) hey he is only 21

B) Hey payton stepped up today

C) say nothing

D) he is only 21... wait I already used that one..lol!!

OK I am done on this one... hehe..

They did exactly that.

It sucks....

Not much was said about his performance. But let him have another good game.

You can just hear Kanye Wests song "Jesus Walks" playing in the bathroom.
EnySpree

5/10/2004  11:52 AM
did anyone know about john starks? no. not until the '92 playoffs when he played great basketball against the bulls. in the '94 playoffs, robert horry was just as hyped up. it is the playoffs. whoever is the hero of the game will get hyped. someone mentioned bibby. i remember two years ago, bibby had a great playoff run and he was hyped as much as anyone in the playoffs at that time.

Nah man they were respected more. It's not like there careers have been followed since they got into the league. Bibby won a national championship and led the team and was a star coming into the league. People forgot about him on the Grizz and they just saw him as a better fit in Sac. When he stepped up that year he got resect. People weren't saying all the stuff they say about Tony Parker.

Starks got respect too because of his heart. Starks was never hyped by the NBA. If anything Starks was the underdog...the bad guy. But he had the respect.

Horry is another guy that just steps up in big games. That's out of show and prove respect. Horry isn't hyped everyone just knows what to expect from him. Everyone is gonna remember him as a guy that was clutch.

Tony Parker is a good player and he was playing well until the last game. Fine and dandy, but the league and media have been talking about his potential even before he started showing the game he is now. Parker how do you get fame before respect? Not even the great ones get that? You have to prove you can actually play the game first.

Parker choked last year and people still bring up his 5 years of professional experience. That experience means nothing. You gotta play the game to get respect. Ginobilli played alot of years professional but at least the guy showed and proved that he did. Mano is the man.

I just can't praise a guy that has done nothing but get's all this attention. Alot of moves he does now he just learned. He had no concept of running a team from day one. His shot was one of the ugliest in history when he was drafted. It looks more fluid now. Everything he does now is attributed to what he's learned since he's gotten drafted.

I bring up guys like Marbury and Iverson cuz they came over around the same age and they automatically get killed by the media but their games never needed such drastic help as Tony did. Why weren't they in the media getting the praise they deserved?

People are stuck in their ways. That's why we are on 71.
tkf
5/10/2004  11:59 AM
Jazz, You made some good points, and the intention of this thread was not to bash euros or non american players. I just think that enyspree and myself are tired of the bandwagon jumping, Parker has a good game or two and all of a sudden fans are jumping all over him as if he has done something that has never been done before, and then what makes it worse, you have some so called knicks fans who would use this to down steph and prop up parker, that is what really boils my blood, but I agree with your points in general...
Nalod
USA
5/10/2004  1:05 PM
hype sucks, unless its knick hype!

They gotta get some hype for the spurs cuz Duncan is boring.
And ugly. But he got game.

Ginobli looks like Bronson Pinchot, the dude from "Beverly Hills Cop".

EnySpree

5/10/2004  4:01 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Bronson Pinchot in "Beverly Hills Cop"? come on man give the guy a little more credit than that.

Did you forget "PErfect Strangers"?

Balki Bartokmouse!!!!(sp?)
Classic stuff. Him and Larry Appleton were one of the best comedy duo's ever.

The NBA is just trying to find some guys to sell the league with.
Tony PArker has a warm smile....that is the image they like.

All I say is.....a guy should show and prove before he gets respect. PEriod.

If some kid comes in the Park and the kids say "Yo, son,.....see that kid over there? He mad nice!"
Yeah ok.....lets see. The target is now on your back. Let's see how nice you are.
Parker did nothing to prove his worth...until the end of this season and these playoffs. But from day one "Je-sus-walks!.....je-sus-walk-with-me!" Please....

[Edited by - enyspree on 05/10/2004 16:02:36]
Nalod
USA
5/10/2004  10:59 PM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by Nalod:

Bronson Pinchot in "Beverly Hills Cop"? come on man give the guy a little more credit than that.

Did you forget "PErfect Strangers"?

Balki Bartokmouse!!!!(sp?)
Classic stuff. Him and Larry Appleton were one of the best comedy duo's ever.

The NBA is just trying to find some guys to sell the league with.
Tony PArker has a warm smile....that is the image they like.

All I say is.....a guy should show and prove before he gets respect. PEriod.

If some kid comes in the Park and the kids say "Yo, son,.....see that kid over there? He mad nice!"
Yeah ok.....lets see. The target is now on your back. Let's see how nice you are.
Parker did nothing to prove his worth...until the end of this season and these playoffs. But from day one "Je-sus-walks!.....je-sus-walk-with-me!" Please....

[Edited by - enyspree on 05/10/2004 16:02:36]

Alright, you got that one in! Tony is the choosen one.

Seal this Thread, doing the "neutron dance".........
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
5/11/2004  12:37 AM
Hey, from watching these playoffs... you'd probably rank your PGs like this:

Top 5:
Cassell (incredible clutch scorer/leadership!)
Parker (slices through defense like butta!)
Baron Davis (unbelievable before getting hurt)
Jason Kidd (excellent leadership/spark)
Bibby (Good overall control)

Next 5 (up and down):
Steve Francis
Stephon Marbury
Andre Miller
Jamaal Tinsley
Chauncey Billups

IMHO... if we're ranking PGs, I think Cassell is very underrated. His poise as a young player with the Rockets killed us in the finals waaaay back in the day. He killed the Magic the next year too. All he's done is make winners out of mediocre teams his whole career (much like Jason Kidd). Key to this is his excellent post-up game.

I think we can all agree that Jason Kidd plays a different game from most PGs in the NBA... thus the Marbury vs Kidd argument is always apples and oranges.

On the other hand, Marbury and Cassell are both scoring PGs. If I had to pick one of them to lead my team for ONE season... I'd definitely choose Cassell first. Yeah, he lacks Marbury's athleticism and court vision. But... IMHO, he's a much better leader, he plays with more control and relies more on his smarts. He's also a killer post up player, unusual for the position.

Parker plays with remarkable poise for a player his age... he's also an excellent clutch shooter. Perhaps he gets a little more space to shoot and drive as a result of Duncan playing on his team.

But for $19mil/year less than Marbury... I'd take my chances with him. :)
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
tkf
5/11/2004  10:58 AM
Posted by technomaster:

Hey, from watching these playoffs... you'd probably rank your PGs like this:

Top 5:
Cassell (incredible clutch scorer/leadership!)
Parker (slices through defense like butta!)
Baron Davis (unbelievable before getting hurt)
Jason Kidd (excellent leadership/spark)
Bibby (Good overall control)

Next 5 (up and down):
Steve Francis
Stephon Marbury
Andre Miller
Jamaal Tinsley
Chauncey Billups

IMHO... if we're ranking PGs, I think Cassell is very underrated. His poise as a young player with the Rockets killed us in the finals waaaay back in the day. He killed the Magic the next year too. All he's done is make winners out of mediocre teams his whole career (much like Jason Kidd). Key to this is his excellent post-up game.

I think we can all agree that Jason Kidd plays a different game from most PGs in the NBA... thus the Marbury vs Kidd argument is always apples and oranges.

On the other hand, Marbury and Cassell are both scoring PGs. If I had to pick one of them to lead my team for ONE season... I'd definitely choose Cassell first. Yeah, he lacks Marbury's athleticism and court vision. But... IMHO, he's a much better leader, he plays with more control and relies more on his smarts. He's also a killer post up player, unusual for the position.

Parker plays with remarkable poise for a player his age... he's also an excellent clutch shooter. Perhaps he gets a little more space to shoot and drive as a result of Duncan playing on his team.

But for $19mil/year less than Marbury... I'd take my chances with him. :)

this post can't be serious.... just can't be...
EnySpree

5/11/2004  10:59 AM
technomaster...

your take on Sam Cassell is on point and exactly my point. People forget about Sam Cassell. They forget he already won 2 titles and was a very huge part of that. He's won everywhere and his skills especially his ability to be clutch is always over looked.

Look at Tony's career thus far compared to Sam Cassells first few. Cassell killed the Knicks in 94...that was his rookie year. Tony Parker could barely control his own handle.

Yo, check out Tinsley's play. He was benched heavily last year and this year. They openly shopped for a point guard and now all of a sudden Tinsley is silently leading the Indiana Pacers who had the leagues best record. They were drafted in the same year. Tinsley is making a name while Tony always had the hype even though they both sucked up until reciently.

I kind of agree with you Top five points. Kind of for obvious reasons.

OT: Tony Parker

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy