[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Thread: Cleveland Cavaliers at NY Knicks 8:00PM @ MSG
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

1/30/2014  5:08 PM

Following a bad beginning to their eight-game homestand, the New York Knicks have recovered thanks greatly to one basic thing - hitting more shots.

And not just by Carmelo Anthony.

The Knicks lost three straight home games before winning the last three behind a rejuvenated attack led by Anthony, and if that hot shooting continues, they might breeze past a Cleveland Cavaliers team having major problems offensively.

"We are doing a great job as a team figuring it out," Anthony said after Tuesday's 114-88 win over Boston.

New York (18-27) had not hit 10 3-pointers in 12 consecutive games before doing so in each of the last four, making 50 in 106 attempts. That's a 47.2 percent clip compared to 33.5 in the previous 10 contests.

The Knicks have shot 52.3 percent from the field during their three-game win streak, scoring at least 110 points each time after not reaching that mark in 19 straight. They had averaged 93.6 points during a five-game skid, including blowouts by the Clippers and Brooklyn to open the homestand before a loss to last-place Philadelphia.

"When you make shots it makes it easier," said Anthony, who had 24 points Tuesday. "Guys are moving the ball and guys are making shots. Everyone feels like they are having fun again."

Anthony played 28 minutes and had 15 field-goal attempts - personal lows this month - after combining for 66 shots and 97 points in the previous two games.

J.R. Smith is 8 for 13 from 3-point range during the win streak after going 9 for 25 during the five-game skid. Fellow reserve Tim Hardaway Jr. has scored in double figures in three straight, shooting 53.3 percent with eight 3-pointers.

"Our pace has really picked up. We are back to playing small ball again," coach Mike Woodson said. "Guys are shooting 3s and feeling good about them. It is good to see.

"... I think guys are more committed now. There is a sense of urgency."

Counterpart Mike Brown is looking for his Cavaliers to show the same. They're coming off a 1-4 homestand which ended with fans booing them in a 100-89 loss to New Orleans on Tuesday.

Cleveland (16-29) shot 40.2 percent and averaged 91.2 points in those five games after a 4-2 stretch during which it scored more than 110 four times.

"Our competitive spirit is non-existent," Brown said. "Maybe I need to shake some things up. ... What we're doing out there is unacceptable."

Maybe a three-game trip will help. Most recently, the Cavs had a 3-2 road swing Jan. 10-17. In Cleveland, they've lost eight of 11.

Kyrie Irving had at least 23 points in four games during the homestand, but they were all losses.

"As a team, we go through stretches where it's ups and downs, that's just part of the game," Irving said.

His 37 points highlighted a 109-94 home win over the Knicks on Dec. 10. Irving has averaged 32.8 in the last four meetings but hasn't won at Madison Square Garden, and the Cavs have lost four straight there.

Top overall pick Anthony Bennett had his best performance Tuesday with 15 points and eight rebounds in 31-plus minutes. He had played in only two of the previous seven games.

Bennett may again see increased playing time if Anderson Varejao (knee) can't return. Varejao, averaging a team-high 10.3 rebounds, hadn't missed a game after playing just 81 over the previous three seasons.

The Knicks will be missing Amare Stoudemire (ankle) and Andrea Bargnani (elbow), and could be without Iman Shumpert (shoulder).

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
playa2

1/30/2014  5:11 PM
If Kyrie Irving wants to be a New York Knick, he will go for Fifty points tonight.

They better get the ball out of his hands, Felton and Prigs will have their hands full tonight.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
playa2

1/30/2014  5:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/30/2014  5:27 PM
Look for Anthony Bennett to look like the # 1 PICK TONIGHT against the knicks.

Other night he had a season-high 15 points in a season-high 31 minutes, with eight rebounds in the 100-89 loss to New Orleans on Tuesday night. He made five of 10 shots, including two of his three 3-point attempts, and three of six free throws. He had an assist, blocked shot, a turnover and three fouls.

nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
1/30/2014  5:47 PM
I just want to see this team continue to gain chemistry. I want to see our young guys continue to develop. I'm hoping Murry gets back in here since Shump is hurt. We'll need his defense tonight.
playa2

1/30/2014  5:47 PM
Said Bennett, "I have real high expectations for myself. The season didn't really start out well for me, but I've just got to keep working. I have great teammates around me, a great coaching staff, so I've just got to be in the gym every day and keep working.''

One of those teammates, Kyrie Irving, praised Bennett on Tuesday.

"He played tremendous tonight -- his energy off the bench,'' Irving said. "No matter the score, he was in there. We still had a chance to cut the lead and come back in that fourth quarter and he gave us a chance. He did a helluva a job tonight.''

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/30/2014  6:28 PM
Seth Rosenthal ‏@seth_rosenthal · 3h
omg woody RT @HerringWSJ: Woodson on the small lineup: "It works. I don't even know that I'll go away from it this time."
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
playa2

1/30/2014  6:33 PM
I don't think the players really respect Brown. He never played at a pro level. Maybe this is why Lebron James and Kobe Bryant tuned him out. Now the Cavs players are doing the same.
Clean
Member: #743
1/30/2014  6:34 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Seth Rosenthal ‏@seth_rosenthal · 3h
omg woody RT @HerringWSJ: Woodson on the small lineup: "It works. I don't even know that I'll go away from it this time."

This is the guy people were defending. I can understand if we go away from the small lineup against teams like the Pacers. David Wests likes to put on a beating on melo. However, to go away from it for the whole season after it worked so well last year is.... I don't even have words for what it is.

Clean
Member: #743
1/30/2014  6:35 PM
playa2 wrote:I don't think the players really respect Brown. He never played at a pro level. Maybe this is why Lebron James and Kobe Bryant tuned him out. Now the Cavs players are doing the same.

He is just a bad coach.

CrushAlot
USA
1/30/2014  6:38 PM
Clean wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Seth Rosenthal ‏@seth_rosenthal · 3h

This is the guy people were defending. I can understand if we go away from the small lineup against teams like the Pacers. David Wests likes to put on a beating on melo. However, to go away from it for the whole season after it worked so well last year is.... I don't even have words for what it is.

I am not sure that he had a choice. His autonomy definitely was compromised when he was being told who he could play when and who he could keep on his team and who he had to cut.
CrushAlot
USA
1/30/2014  7:22 PM
Sounds like Martin is out.
Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ · 3h
Not sure if Felton was going off a hunch, or if Martin had suggested to a teammate or two that he wouldn't be able to play tonight
GustavBahler
Member: #3186

1/30/2014  7:26 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Sounds like Martin is out.
Not sure if Felton was going off a hunch, or if Martin had suggested to a teammate or two that he wouldn't be able to play tonight

That blows. I would put Kmart on ice for at least a month. Can't stay healthy for more than a couple of games. Same for Stat. Tyler and Cole might make make that more feasible.

CrushAlot
USA
1/30/2014  7:31 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

That blows. I would put Kmart on ice for at least a month. Can't stay healthy for more than a couple of games. Same for Stat. Tyler and Cole might make make that more feasible.

Yeah hopefully Tyler and Cole play well. Also, Tyson seemed to be ok after his ankle mishap. Hopefully nothing flares up for him.
GustavBahler
Member: #3186

1/30/2014  7:38 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Yeah hopefully Tyler and Cole play well. Also, Tyson seemed to be ok after his ankle mishap. Hopefully nothing flares up for him.

Famous last words ha ha. They should put a sign up in the locker room ______ days since last injury.
Would be a full time job keeping it current. I knew when we signed all these vets that this would happen more than usual but damn.

TeamBall
Member: #4386

1/30/2014  7:55 PM
playa2 wrote:If Kyrie Irving wants to be a New York Knick, he will go for Fifty points tonight.

They better get the ball out of his hands, Felton and Prigs will have their hands full tonight.

I'm looking for one of those things at the end of the game where the camera catches Melo and Kyrie talking and us fans are left with nothing but speculation. Good times.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/30/2014  7:55 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Amare was fine before the ankle sprained, and those type of injuries are a dime a dozen everybody gets them, Kmart is a sure fire glue man, when he starts we normally win.

ES
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

1/30/2014  8:00 PM
JR needs to have a good game. He will more than likely be guarded by a 4 but he will probably guard Deng which is not a good match up.
yellowboy90

1/30/2014  8:03 PM
Felton even messes up the straight the Knicks had going in the starting line up
TeamBall
Member: #4386

1/30/2014  8:04 PM
Ehh they got Greg Anthony commentating this?
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
yellowboy90

1/30/2014  8:07 PM
That left wing three is money
Game Thread: Cleveland Cavaliers at NY Knicks 8:00PM @ MSG

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy