question--if isiah gets to use the mle
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/3/2004  3:29 PM
by the way this thread was entitled
" what do we do if we win 36 games next year if isiah was permitted to bring in an MLE another trade and we had a relatively healthy year" andrew was the only guy to respond to the question--all the other hub-bub was not neccesary

The hub-bub was because this isnt feasable, or its about as feasible as the trades for Elton Brand or Rasheed that are 99.9% impossible.

why do you say that? we won a majority of our games against the losing clubs of the league
we were very good against the cellar dwellars horrible against the west and had a losing record vs team above .500 in the east.

if many eastern teams improve why couldnt we finish at 36 games?

Because we will improve also. When you put one new player in a system often that player struggles (Gary PAyton, Bonzi Wells, Rahim, we could go all day). So simply by playing together longer in the same system will improve us.

Why will every team in the East improve. but Sweetney, Frank, Nazr... these guys will regress. Why cant KT and Marbury thrive off the pick and roll. Why cant Tim Thomas play like he was before he got hurt?

I think you are convinced every possible negative thing can and will happen, and we should address the team based on that outcome.

If Tim was healthy and the Knicks won those 2 games at MSG vs. the Nets would you still be piping about how getting blown away in the first round means nothing?

The Pistons went 32-50. They added Rick Carlise and Cliff Robinson. Then they went 50-32 the next year. Were they patient? or lucky? Give me a break....
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
USA
5/3/2004  3:30 PM
As for the Kings they lose Webber and gain Brad Miller. Peja has career year.. I fail to see how this is relevant to anything.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
5/3/2004  3:46 PM
What happens if the Knicks win 48-52 games?

If they lose 36 games (why would this happen again? Sweetney and Frank improve, the Knicks come back healthy, and all is solved. The T'Wolves are a horrible example because Hassel and Madsen were better fits for that team. Both are defensive oriented players, go for rebounds, and don't need the ball on offense. When Wally's in the offense gets screwed up, and Kandi is so important to that team why did he play only 14 minutes in game 5, more than 10 minutes less than Marc Madsen, and garner zero points. The T'Wolves are the model of how to bulid a team, have one superstar, 2 all-stars, and a bunch of role players. Regardless...) I think it's obvious they'd use their lotto pick and start rebuilding. They wouldn't be far, after the completion of next year, to having Houston and Anderson off the books.

Let's see how the offseason pans out before we start saying the Knicks will never make the playoffs ever again, I think that's ridiculous.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 05/03/2004 15:47:45]
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/3/2004  3:54 PM
this is also the same houston that played with patrick ewing charles oakley lkatrry johnson camby sprewell etc.. and hasnt come close in terms of shooting % to wally. the only reason you think houston is superior to wally is because you dont see him play. hes a better %shooter, hes more athletic, bigger and a better rebounder+ passer. Other than that theyre about equal.
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
5/3/2004  4:01 PM
if they win 48-52 games they are headed in the right direction. --this was a question based on my belief that the east will be much improved and we will be status quo in terms of what we have for the most part, with possibly adding a FA and one trade.
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/3/2004  4:02 PM
no, i've seen wally play ALL of last year with league pass. wally is a good player and a good shooter but i also saw allan houston carry this team the entire 2nd half of the season on aching knees. he hit big shot after big shot with the best defenders on him, kobe, bruce bowen, etc. in fact, he dropped 50 on both of them. wally is good, but if i'm looking to win a championship, then i want allan. wally is younger, which makes him attractive now but allan is still better. plus, wally crumbled against kobe in the playoffs last season - turnover after turnover. my boy and i actually nick named him "the big apple" which evolved from being an apple turnover...

[Edited by - djsunyc on 05/03/2004 16:05:40]
djsunyc
5/3/2004  4:03 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

if they win 48-52 games they are headed in the right direction. --this was a question based on my belief that the east will be much improved and we will be status quo in terms of what we have for the most part, with possibly adding a FA and one trade.

we'll have a 20ppg shooter on the court the entire season - that's not status quo.
fishmike
USA
5/3/2004  4:29 PM
Yea.. .Houston shoots 40% from 3 point range. Getting this guy back even in a more limited role (25-30 minutes a game) is a huge impact.

Should we become a lottery team (we arent even close) just keep the pick and continue to build. Draft a good player and go into the year with Penny and TT as expiring contracts to use as great trade bait.
fishmike
USA
5/3/2004  4:48 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

By the way, who's going to much improved more than us? Why do other teams like Mia get credit for getting better because they have young guys, but our young guys are just status quo?

Indy and NJ are the only teams without major FA issues, but is NJ going to resign KMART and RJ to close to max $$$? They are on rookie contracts now and NJ already has a hig payroll. Remember thanks to Zo, Kidd earns about $20 mill a year.

We have argued this but Det will have a VERY tough time keeping Okur and Sheed

Mia has limited resources and Odom had his first injury free year EVER. What if he misses his status quo 30-40 games next year?

NO is gone, ejoy the West, welcome the Bobcats to the NBA East.

Cle cant beat anybody without Jeff McGinnis and they rely on a center with 4 foot surgeries.

Is Bos really planning on Doc playing the 3 #1s they draft this year, plus Marcus Banks and Kendrick Perkins?

Who knows what Was is doing... but despite some nice young talent they are terrible. If you want to talk about Stackhouse I will talk about Allan Houston

Mil is built around TJ Ford (broken neck?) KVH, Joe Smith, they want to resign Toni Kukoc but arent getting any younger..

I mean come on... every team except Indy has pretty major offseason issues. I'm sure some teams will make good decisions, I'm sure some teams will make bad ones.
BRIGGS
5/3/2004  5:39 PM
well what i get from this feedback is a good number of people expect to be 45-50 wins with a relatively healthy team--in fact it seems like that some people think that a relatively healthy knick team has almost no chance of being below .500.

the over rating of Houston is a tad much and the reality that he may never ever be the same player or even play again is not even a consideration is far-fetched. that we have no defined inside game porous defenders and we are handicapping the east as bad as it was this year. Not possible for teams like Orlando to grab Okafor[who is better than any knick frontcourt player by far] or possibly a team like Chicago giving up its pick for an Antwan Jamison --these teams have elite assets to get better, but the mentality here is that they wont. Lebron wont get better along with a Ben Gordon and a Steven Jackson? nah. 50 wins lock
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
5/3/2004  5:43 PM
so i guess you know for a fact that h2o going on 34 years old next year who said his leg needed to be in a cast will play 80 games 38 minutes a night. can i get odds on that?
RIP Crushalot😞
Chico
Member: #666
5/3/2004  6:21 PM
yeah the optimism on this and other knicks board regarding houston is totally absurd and unfounded. just because you want him to return doesn't mean he's going to. please, people look at the facts. the facts are he's going on 34 and he has no cartilidge left in his knees. the facts are he doesn't want to get surgery, yet doctors are saying its necessary. the facts are that there's no way he's being considered as part of anything that leads this team to a championship. we are so much more likely to win a championship with demaar (in 2 years) than with a 36 year old allan houston. next season it will have been 2 seasons since he dropped 50 on anybody. LOOK HOW MUCH SHAQ HAS FALLEN OFF OVER THE LAST TWO SEASONS, and thats been with one bad toe, not two bad knees! Last season was Allan's last hurrah and it was a good one, but he's never going to play at that level again. c'mon, be realistic about this.

best case scenario is he comes back for fifty games (if that) off the bench as a spark and hits some big shots against other teams second squads.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/3/2004  6:37 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

so i guess you know for a fact that h2o going on 34 years old next year who said his leg needed to be in a cast will play 80 games 38 minutes a night. can i get odds on that?

Absolutely. And the Knicks could just hand him the ball in the 4th quarter and ride his ability to hit his jumper. That would make a really good 4th seed!!!! Home court in round one baby!!!!!

And if he doesn't get healthy? Stick Shandon and Demarr in that spot...and watch that 45 turn into 32.

We can't push 45 wins we gotta push winning the championship.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Chico
Member: #666
5/3/2004  6:55 PM
wow. do you take ecstasy when you post on this board?
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
5/3/2004  7:03 PM
"Okafor[who is better than any knick frontcourt player by far]" I find this to be almost downright ridiculous. Mike Sweetney played in the Big East two years ago with ZERO future NBAers on his team and put up equal to better numbers vs. Okafor.

Okafor, junior year: 18 points, 12 boards, probably 4-5 bpg (on a team with probably 5 future NBA players in Gordon, Boone, Villanueva, RAnderson, and possibly DBrown)
Sweetney, junior year: (going off the top of my head since I can't find his stats) I believe it was 20+ ppg, 10+ rpg, and 3 bpg.

I'm not disputing Okafor is a great player, I'm just pointing out that Sweetney and Okafor had very similar seasons their final yaer of college, and now Sweetney has a year of NBA experience under his belt. Plus, Okafor has a bad back. Where is that IF..THEN statement. WHAT IF Orlando gets Okafor? Yeah, will they still don't have a PG and WHAT IF McGrady demands a trade or WHAT IF McGrady hurts his back or WHAT IF Okafor hurts his back.

Briggs, it seems your whole theory on the Demise of the New York Knicks Circa 04-05 is based on a bunch of "IF..THEN.." Premises. IF CHICAGO gets Jamison, ok, what then? They will win 30 games instead of 20? Milwaukee has TJ Ford, who was getting surgery ON HIS SPINAL CORD last time I checked. How have the Bucks been w/o Ford? Pretty bad. Chance for improvement: Low. Cleveland will definitely improve, I'm not disputing that. WHAT IF LeBron pulls a Kobe and sexually assaults some girl. There goes their season (and don't tell me you saw this whole Kobe/Hotel Room disaster coming). Boston is fading faster than Ewing after he becmae a Sonic, the Hornets are gone. So Miami and Cleveland will improve. WHAT IF Lamar Odom smokes pot again. Out for year. See you later Miami.

Do you see what I'm saying? Do you see how annoying this is?

OK, let's say Houston gets hurt (odds: 2:1), let's just hope Isiah has som foresigh an signs Steven Jackson. So you're telling me Jackson, after not commanding $1 mil/year last year is going to get more than the MLE? Please. I think Jackson is a better overall player than Houston. The Knicks were above .500 with Marbury, above .500 with Wilkens. The majority of time there was somebody hurt. Say next year this squad plays:
PG: Marbury, Williams
SG: Jackson, Anderson
SF: TThomas, Penny
PF: KThomas, Sweetney
C: Mohammed, Baker

They sill could turn Mutumbo/Harrington into somthing, and even without that I'd say that team wins 45 games. 50 would be a possibility.

"We can't push 45 wins we gotta push winning the championship" I love when people make these statements, as if Isiah can come in from the team he had last year and just magically create this championship team. KG needed, what, 7 seasons to get the "right players" around him to "push winning the championship." The Lakers w/ Kobe and Shaq took a few years, the Kings still haven't made a finals, and neither have the Mavs.

These things take a while. Will the Knicks win a championship with Marbury? Probably not, but if you ask me to be realistic I'd at least ask and expect you to be fair and realisitic as well.
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
5/3/2004  7:23 PM
Okafor is a big time step above Sweetney. Okafor is a chisled 260 and is probably closer to 6-10 has 6 ripped abs ripped arms and can vertically leap 36 inches + bench press nearly 400 pounds. Hes an explosive athlete who will be able to impose his will right away in the NBA. I believe Okafor is a 17-13-3 player--something like what alonzo was. I like Sweetney, but he's not ok4--dont always go by stats--if you put Ok4 on a team with marginal players--he wouldve made any team good because he can alter the game at both ends and hes going to be a disruptive force on the D. Sweetney is not that kind of presence on the D, nor does he have the explosion that Ok4 has at the rim. I look at Ok4 as a big time 2 way player, sweetney more 1 dimensional. Jerry West is also very high on Ok4, so that must mean something.

As for the what ifs--there will be plenty of teams willing to pay Steven Jackson and give him a starting job. We will have immense competition if thats the player we are targeting. We already have as many have brought up Houston Hardaway Andersen Thomas not including demarr Johnson or FW for the 2-3 spots which costs the knicks an aggregate of 60mm alone next for those two positions. As a much as I believe he should be a player of target, how can the knicks allocate more in that area?

I have never said once--anything about the demise of the knicks or that they are destined to be bad next year--contrary I simply asked if they go out and do another round of trading-bring in a FA stay relatively healthy and go 36-46 what do you think the course of action should be? The Knicks have been bad for years including this one. We have 1 playoff victory in 5 years in the weak east with a record well below .500--we have already been in the shtter for years.
Im not saying this is a good team, im not saying this is a bad team--people who are betting on 45-50 wins are probably high people saying 30 wins are probably low--but if we happen to land in that area of 36-38 wins--i dont think its acceptable to go forward with these plans of patchworking the team.
RIP Crushalot😞
s3231
Member: #544
USA
5/3/2004  7:27 PM
Though a lot of people here want Stephen Jackson to be a Knick, I guarantee you guys that there is a better chance of Jamal Crawford becoming a Knick. Isiah likes Crawford better and Crawford has said that he would like to be a Knick. I would love to have Stephen Jackson here but I just don't see it happening. I'll be happy if we get either one of the guys, Crawford has the talent to become a superstar.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
BRIGGS
5/3/2004  7:42 PM
we have very little chance of getting crawford. Chicago would match an MLE in a point blank second. chicago is saying they want to dump the pippen ending contract for a player, and that they would match any offer for crawford. It doesnt sound like he is going anywhere. we have nothing to offer them that they dont already have. Crawford is their only good 2G--why would they trade him?
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
5/3/2004  7:42 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

you're right, there's no guarantee houston will be back to form next season. actually, i'd rather he play 30-35 mins/game next season before the playoffs and believe me, those 30-35 mins instead of shandon help tremendously. but with that being said, this is the first time in his career that he's been hurt so he can come back. secondly, his game isn't dependant on athleticism. all he has to do is stand on the wing and get the ball for the jumper so even if he slows down, it won't affect his offensive game.

going into the season with a frank/steph/penny 3 guard rotation and a healthy tim thomas, we still go over .500. we can get by next season without houston (since we're not gonna be contending for a title), then when penny and tim enter their final years, we can make a major move for another player.

so i agree, h20 could never play again, but we're not as bad off without him as well. remember, tim was out a bunch of games as well after the trade, and using a 30 game barometer w/ a team in flux is not something we can go by.

i know, i know - another excuse right? but again, it's a valid one.
BRIGGS
5/3/2004  7:53 PM
if i was a betting man, i would bet that the new owners of atlanta who have 30mm to work with will give him something just above the MLE to saty--something like 5 years 35mm. that contract would start out at 5.5mm--giving them a ton of room to operate further. i think atlanta will retain jackson and sura and go after a player like Dampier and Etan Thomas

something like

Jackson 5 y 35
Sura 3 y 12
dampier 5 years 50mm
thomas 4 years 32mm
two high draft picks
RIP Crushalot😞
question--if isiah gets to use the mle

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy