[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Just Got Laid Off, Any Advice?
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/29/2014  8:22 PM
I'm looking for advice beyond the usual lines like "make sure your resume is up to date" and "file for unemployment as soon as possible." What did you guys do to ensure each day was productive? How did you handle the self doubt that crept in each day your job search went on? Was volunteering helpful?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/29/2014  8:45 PM
In today's post crash economy, most companies only hire people who are currently employed. The longer you are out of work the more difficult it will be to find another job, depending on what you do.

I'm not trying to be a downer BigDaddyG, just that I would make it my mission to send out as many resumes as soon as possible, go all out, don't take any time off.

These days getting a job also has to do with who you know so I would talk to friends, business associates, family, about giving you a heads up on any positions that become available, asap.

Plenty of time to volunteer and involve yourself in other noble pursuits if you have trouble finding work. Can't emphasize enough how important the next couple of months are. Best of luck.

BigDaddyG

1/29/2014  10:02 PM
GustavBahler wrote:In today's post crash economy, most companies only hire people who are currently employed. The longer you are out of work the more difficult it will be to find another job, depending on what you do.

I'm not trying to be a downer BigDaddyG, just that I would make it my mission to send out as many resumes as soon as possible, go all out, don't take any time off.

These days getting a job also has to do with who you know so I would talk to friends, business associates, family, about giving you a heads up on any positions that become available, asap.

Plenty of time to volunteer and involve yourself in other noble pursuits if you have trouble finding work. Can't emphasize enough how important the next couple of months are. Best of luck.

Thanks Bahler. Appreciated. It is downer, but the truth is always appreciated

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/30/2014  9:34 AM
GustavBahler wrote:In today's post crash economy, most companies only hire people who are currently employed. The longer you are out of work the more difficult it will be to find another job, depending on what you do.

I agree with this completely. After I graduated grad school - immediately after the crash - I couldn't find work anywhere. Applied everywhere. Started getting interviews but nothing happened. Milked every connection I had - nothing.

I took a job a PF Chang's but kept interviewing. Usually when potential employers asked "how are you spending your time?" I had nothing to say. But then I said something like "I'm working at PF Chang's... not what I expected, but I believe that if you work hard and make sacrifices, good things happen" or some line of BS like that. I got the first job interviewed for after.

My advice is don't tell potential employer's that you're willing to work hard, do anything, or go anywhere. Show them that.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/30/2014  9:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/30/2014  9:52 AM
Damn, at first I thought this said "Just got laid!"
Sorry, to hear the news! Good luck
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/30/2014  11:15 AM
Gustav, what was the position you were working at?
Do you have a severace at all?
BigDaddyG

1/30/2014  1:33 PM
Nalod wrote:Gustav, what was the position you were working at?
Do you have a severace at all?

Yeah, I got that at least. Not much, but it's something.

BigDaddyG

1/30/2014  2:11 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:

I agree with this completely. After I graduated grad school - immediately after the crash - I couldn't find work anywhere. Applied everywhere. Started getting interviews but nothing happened. Milked every connection I had - nothing.

I took a job a PF Chang's but kept interviewing. Usually when potential employers asked "how are you spending your time?" I had nothing to say. But then I said something like "I'm working at PF Chang's... not what I expected, but I believe that if you work hard and make sacrifices, good things happen" or some line of BS like that. I got the first job interviewed for after.

My advice is don't tell potential employer's that you're willing to work hard, do anything, or go anywhere. Show them that.

Thanks for the tip Supreme. It makes sense.

BigDaddyG

1/30/2014  2:44 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Damn, at first I thought this said "Just got laid!"
Sorry, to hear the news! Good luck

Yeah, there was time when that was my top priority lol Now that's the least of my problems.
IronWillGiroud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4359

1/31/2014  9:35 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:I'm looking for advice beyond the usual lines like "make sure your resume is up to date" and "file for unemployment as soon as possible." What did you guys do to ensure each day was productive? How did you handle the self doubt that crept in each day your job search went on? Was volunteering helpful?

It ****ing sucks and the longer out of work the harder it is.

Just maintain, another job will come, never lose your head although you probably will.

Helps to keep the bigger time frame in mind.

Smoke a lot.

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
BigDaddyG

2/2/2014  3:16 PM
IronWillGiroud wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I'm looking for advice beyond the usual lines like "make sure your resume is up to date" and "file for unemployment as soon as possible." What did you guys do to ensure each day was productive? How did you handle the self doubt that crept in each day your job search went on? Was volunteering helpful?

Just maintain, another job will come, never lose your head although you probably will.

Smoke a lot.

Ha, ha Thanks. The problem with smoking is that I never know when a new job comes up and I may have to take a piss test.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/2/2014  3:36 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:

Smoke a lot.

Ha, ha Thanks. The problem with smoking is that I never know when a new job comes up and I may have to take a piss test.

Just ask if hypothetically you can delay the drug test for a few weeks!

VCoug
Member: #1406

2/2/2014  4:04 PM
Sorry man, I've had friends who have gone through this and it sucks. As for advice, I know people who have gotten jobs through volunteer work, either with the organisation they were with through the contacts they made there. Are you on linkedin? If not you should be. It's a good networking site for professionals and I've received several good job offers through there.

May I ask what it is you did and/or what you'd like to do?

And, of course, good luck with everything!

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
2/2/2014  10:16 PM
Indeed.com worked well for me. Set up a handful of alerts with various keywords. Same for a couple of other sites as well... but I can't remember which ones at the moment.

Also installed about three apps on my phone and tablet, and kept checking those as well. Indeed and GetHired are two good ones.

Use job listings to help craft your resume. If their is a skill that keeps showing up in job listings, make sure it is on your resume. If you don't have the skill... now might be a great time to learn it.

Use LinkedIn to network... and let everybody know, and their brother, that you are looking for work.

ToddTT
2/2/2014  10:19 PM
Work out, eat well... and treat the job search itself like a job. Wake up with goals every day.

Can you tell I went through this recently? :P

BigDaddyG

2/4/2014  5:48 PM
VCoug wrote:Sorry man, I've had friends who have gone through this and it sucks. As for advice, I know people who have gotten jobs through volunteer work, either with the organisation they were with through the contacts they made there. Are you on linkedin? If not you should be. It's a good networking site for professionals and I've received several good job offers through there.

May I ask what it is you did and/or what you'd like to do?

And, of course, good luck with everything!

Marketing. I am on LinkedIn, but I need to update my profile. I'm having a 'professional' review my résumé now. Not sure how useful it will be, but it's always helpful to have an extra set of eyes.

BigDaddyG

2/4/2014  5:51 PM
ToddTT wrote:Work out, eat well... and treat the job search itself like a job. Wake up with goals every day.

Yeah, the 'freedom' of being able to start drinking at noon and watching Netflix all day gets old quick lol How log did it take you to get back on your feet?

IronWillGiroud
Member: #4359

2/4/2014  7:55 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
ToddTT wrote:Work out, eat well... and treat the job search itself like a job. Wake up with goals every day.

Yeah, the 'freedom' of being able to start drinking at noon and watching Netflix all day gets old quick lol How log did it take you to get back on your feet?

hahahaha been there,

but you know what happens, you start that next job and you wish you enjoyed the sloppy days more

The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
ToddTT
2/10/2014  8:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/10/2014  8:30 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Laid off in March, started my next job in April. I started the search in January/February which helped a lot. Luckily I was given notice in December.

Still, I think I was very lucky. Don't be discouraged if it takes longer.

Any luck yet?

ToddTT
2/10/2014  8:29 PM
IronWillGiroud wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

hahahaha been there,

but you know what happens, you start that next job and you wish you enjoyed the sloppy days more

Ha... very true. Even though I had been unemployed for almost a month, as soon as I landed a job I told them I couldn't start for two weeks.

Just Got Laid Off, Any Advice?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy