[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marbury overrated
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/3/2004  10:55 AM
its not about getting ready made superstars, but growing your own!

Thru the Draft, Drafting promising Euros and let them mature, or castoffs from the waiver wire and give them time to develope.

We paid a big price for Marbury as PERHAPs our superstar could be Milos, Lampe, or our draft lotto pick. You Can't see YET Lampe or Milos, and we don't know whom we could have drafted, but if the formula is to get a trifecta of players, then you need to not go with a sure thing (marbury) but grow your own.

Chicago is just stupid. They had Brand, artest, and Brad Miller. They just got greedy! I know building thru youth has no guarantee, but there are ways to do it better.

Thats not a knock on Marbury. In three years, Phoenix could be the rising power in the west. I hope we are there too, but I don't see us trying for a future, just for the present.
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/3/2004  11:20 AM
Posted by kam77:

This thread shouldn't be deleted because Marbury IS overrated. I'm tired of players being called superstars when they are just good on one side of the ball. I love how everyone who disagrees with Rojasmas argues every single point that was brought up except the most glaring weakness is Marbury's game: DEFENSE!

Posterchild is right on. Not ncessarily about this forum's mods, but about the mindlessness of some of the people who post here.

This league is made up of three kinds of star players.

You've got your MVP-types (Garnett,Shaq,Duncan,Kobe,Jkidd)
You've yout your superstars (Jermaine,Baron,Rasheed,Peja,Tmac etc..)
You've got your all-stars (Houston,Cassell,Webber,Gasol etc... )

To win big, you must have one of the following on your team:
1 MVP and 2 all stars
1 MVP and 1 Superstar
2 Superstars and 1 All-Star

Obviously, a Superstar like Jermain O'neal is worth more than a Superstar like Marbury.

Knicks have:
1 Superstar and 1 All-Star at best, they gotta improve and if you have to trade Marbury to get that legit Superstar 4/5, then you have to do it.

What are you talking about? Please tell me....

Kidd if anyone is the most overrated defender in the league. Gary Payton too is overrated but guys like you like to continue to boast their rep just because a coach or a company makes a report saying it's so.

Kidd and Payton get abused on occation....just as Marbury does. Check the stats if you want. Watch games....

Marbury is not Bruce Bowen on defense....just like Bruce Bowen is not Marbury on offense. Once again Marbury is a adequate defender.

This is a stupid arguement because Marbury plays hard on both ends. You guys are not even talking about decision making....you are making a general statement about a guy playing defense. Is he supposed to shut down everyone he plays against and drop 25 and 12 on the other end too? No one has ever been able to do that in this league on a consistant basis. This is a waste of time.

About the Superstar, all-star, good player, MVP BS.....please stop.
Teams just need talent to win. The teams with the most talent usually win. These teams that mesh the talent together to work as a unit usually come out with the title.

Knicks need to upgrade the talent....not play the dump game of trying to get the MVP, All-star, Superstar stupidness. They need to get better players bottom line......better players that fit the system they run.....period.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/3/2004  11:33 AM
Posted by kam77:

This thread shouldn't be deleted because Marbury IS overrated. I'm tired of players being called superstars when they are just good on one side of the ball. I love how everyone who disagrees with Rojasmas argues every single point that was brought up except the most glaring weakness is Marbury's game: DEFENSE!

Posterchild is right on. Not ncessarily about this forum's mods, but about the mindlessness of some of the people who post here.

No one has outright said that Marb is a superstar in this thread, so let's move past that point. He does have his deficiencies, but the original argument that Marb is overrated has not at all been supported. Zero. Nothing.

The thread topic is "Marbury overrated". Tell me how either Marb or general opinion has Marbury as overrated, and why he is less than that. Still have heard anything that would change my mind.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/3/2004  11:34 AM
Posted by posterchild:
Posted by martin:
Posted by rojasmas:

I know there is a soft spot for Marbury because he is one of our own. But he is not above criticism. I saw the playoff series and if you check his career playoff shooting percentage, not just this series, he is shooting around 38% for his career. Big players step up when it counts, he has never won a playoff series in his career, including Minnesota with Garnett and Phoenix with some decent players. I always loved the guy, but I have taken my blinders off and I am seeing reality with him for the first time. I also heard that Phil Jackson is not a fan of Marbury. This should tell you something. Sorry.

we'll do this step-by-step.

1) What is Marb's career shooting percentage, what is Kidd's?
2) With the clock winding down, who usually takes the shots?
2) How many playoff series did Garnett win before this year?
3) Who almost single handedly beat the Spurs last year in the playoffs?
4) What real supporting cast has Marb had in the playoffs?
5) Who gives two craps what Phil Jackson says?
I bet martin and andrew are just a couple of little kids. They don't know what basketball truely is. It's not a one man sport; you need a team to win. One player could make enough of an impact though leading a team into oblivian.

Good post rojasmas.
read it and erase it cause this cite is overrated as some of the people that post are truely naive about what basketball is.

child, feel free to use a braincell when you post.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
5/3/2004  12:28 PM
Posted by rojasmas:

I know there is a soft spot for Marbury because he is one of our own. But he is not above criticism. I saw the playoff series and if you check his career playoff shooting percentage, not just this series, he is shooting around 38% for his career. Big players step up when it counts, he has never won a playoff series in his career, including Minnesota with Garnett and Phoenix with some decent players. I always loved the guy, but I have taken my blinders off and I am seeing reality with him for the first time. I also heard that Phil Jackson is not a fan of Marbury. This should tell you something. Sorry.

jackson was'nt a fan of ewing either. does that tell you about ewing? he probably was'nt a fan of marbury becuase he, like all quick point guards, gave his team fits. you are talking about one of the most bias coach in history. he has said things about ewing, riley, zo,barkley, and pippen when he was on the blazers. so what?
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
5/3/2004  12:35 PM
Posted by kam77:

This league is made up of three kinds of star players.

You've got your MVP-types (Garnett,Shaq,Duncan,Kobe,Jkidd)
You've yout your superstars (Jermaine,Baron,Rasheed,Peja,Tmac etc..)
You've got your all-stars (Houston,Cassell,Webber,Gasol etc... )

To win big, you must have one of the following on your team:
1 MVP and 2 all stars
1 MVP and 1 Superstar
2 Superstars and 1 All-Star

Obviously, a Superstar like Jermain O'neal is worth more than a Superstar like Marbury.

Knicks have:
1 Superstar and 1 All-Star at best, they gotta improve and if you have to trade Marbury to get that legit Superstar 4/5, then you have to do it.

kam, it is all about maturity as a player. is marbury a superstar yet? no. but you can not deny that someday he has a great chance of being one. people compare him to kidd but we never put kidd into superstar status until two years ago. he grew and matured. was clyde drexler the best defender when he cam into the league? no, but he improved. how about lj? he was probably the worse defender when he came into the league. then in 1999 he proved to be one of the best post defenders we had on a very good defensive team. growth. marbury will have his growing pains. we need to be patient and be grateful we have marbury starting on our team and not howard eisley.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
5/3/2004  7:38 PM
Posted by posterchild:
Posted by martin:
Posted by rojasmas:

we'll do this step-by-step.

1) What is Marb's career shooting percentage, what is Kidd's?
2) With the clock winding down, who usually takes the shots?
2) How many playoff series did Garnett win before this year?
3) Who almost single handedly beat the Spurs last year in the playoffs?
4) What real supporting cast has Marb had in the playoffs?
5) Who gives two craps what Phil Jackson says?
I bet martin and andrew are just a couple of little kids. They don't know what basketball truely is. It's not a one man sport; you need a team to win. One player could make enough of an impact though leading a team into oblivian.

Good post rojasmas.
read it and erase it cause this cite is overrated as some of the people that post are truely naive about what basketball is.

Exactly, "you need a team to win".
Start looking at the other 4 guys on the floor before you start judging stephon. He has been one of the few bright spots this year, along wit Franky and sweets.
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
5/3/2004  8:43 PM
Marbury is good, but Frank Willliams runs the Knick offense better if you surround Frank with the right guys, he'll be all right. Think about the defense Frank played on JKidd. And Eny Spree, i gotta give it to Jkidd as a superstar, sorry if you don't agree.

The Knicks best hope to get a dominant big man is to trade our one GREAT talent for a big post presense on both sides of the ball.

I'm not saying Isiah should not try and give Stephon a chance to succeed, but if the opportunity to surround Steph does not increase (ie we don't replace AH with Tmac or Kobe), then he should look to trade Steph for fill-in-the-blank PF/C.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
5/3/2004  8:48 PM
And since when does agreeing that Marbury is overrated (as a defender, and at times as a decision-maker) equal "throwing daggers" etc...?

Marbury is good, and he can't be fairly judged by this season, i'll give you that. But the jury is still out on Marbury, as well as TT. The only "keepers" i see who actually have a good deal of contract-value relative to their salary as much as their upside and youth are Frank Williams and Mike Sweetney.

Isiah can do whaever he wants with the rest of the roster. I say get Tmac is possible, try to keep Steph, but if not, no big deal. Tmac is better/cheaper/younger, and Frankie is more than adequate.

[Edited by - kam77 on 05/03/2004 20:48:39]
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
Marbury overrated

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy