How about this offseason
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
5/1/2004  4:00 PM
I've combined a few of my posts and other people's thoughts into one thread:

I don't think they can offer enough money for my man memo okur, don't think rasheed will come here, and eddy curry is off the block.

my new plan focuses on getting better defensively, adding a shotblocker and good perimeter defender, as well as adding more enthusiastic and athletic players:

1) Sign Stephen Jackson to the full MLE. He was 6th in the NBA in Steals Per Game, is 6'8", and they need a SG since I don't think Houston will be healthy. He brings big game experience from the Spurs run and the only thing he'd need to work on is turning the ball over, which he does a fair amount. He's also only 25 and I think he can improve. Last year averaged 18 points per game, 3 rebounds per game, 2 assists per game and 1.4 steals per game.

2) Trade Kurt Thomas and Dikembe Mutumbo for Tyson Chandler and Jerome Williams. Chandler, whose stock is low and is also an above average shotblocker. Williams has 4 years left on his contract, while Mutumbo's expires next year. Bulls get veterans (the GM Paxson said they wanted vets with good work ethic) and cap relief. I think they'd do this immediately if they get the number 1 or 2 pick. Keep Curry at C, put Okafor or Howard at PF, and Chandler is no longer needed. You put hardworkers like KT and Deke in practice with those young guys and they'd learn a lot. Knicks get a player in Chandler with a TON of untapped potential and I keep looking at Sweetney and wondering what it'd be like if Chandler worked with Aguirre, Kareem, and Herb Williams. Imagine if Kareem taught him the hook shot? If Chandler could be put on a strict weightlifting regimen and put on 20 pounds of muscle, he's a legit C at 7'1" and 250, and I think he still has the potential to be the best C in the EC and one of the best in the NBA when Shaq retires and its Yao and nobody else. I love JYD, I think his enthusiasm would be contagious. He's a Najera-type player, always going for looseballs, steals, getting clutch rebounds and tip-ins. The Knicks need a player like that.

This would bring the Knicks youth, athleticism, defensive intensity raised, and hopefully a hungrier team.

3) Sign Michael Doleac to the LLE. This is what they signed him to a few years ago, and I think you need to have a big man on the roster who can run the pick and roll with Marbury. He and Marbury did it very well before Doleac was traded, and he's a FA. I'd take him over Baker. Also try to resign DerMarr Johnson.

PG: Marbury, Williams, Norris
SG: Jackson, Houston (6th man, playing 25-30 minutes)
SF: TThomas, Penny, JYD (plays 10-15 min. a game, preferably at the end of each half)
PF: Mohammed, Sweetney (until he can start)
C: Chandler, Doleac
IL: SAnderson, DerMarr, 2nd round draft pick

Draft-I want to draft a JR or SR who can help immediately like the Mavs did with Marquise and Howard. Possible players: Andre Emmet (SG/TxTech), Tony Allen (G/OKST), Herve Lamizana (F/Rutgers), Jaime Lloreda (PF/LSU), Rickey Paulding (SG/Mizzou), Romain Sato (SG/Xavier), Matt Freije (SF/Vandy), Darius Rice (SF/Miami), Sleeper:Kevin Martin, 6'7" SG from West Carolina who is an above average shooter and had some big games this year (dropped 44 on Georgia) and shot almost 40% from 3 Pt. land. If Houston can't come back I'd like a shooter, it'd depend on how he did in workouts. Rice is also a very good shooter.

That's a definite improvement from the team we had going into the playoffs IMO.

I think that team competes with the Heat and Bucks for the 4th seed next year. Heat will be very good next year (Wade has been ridiculous in the playoffs, and Odom's living up to his billing finally, he'll average 20 and 10 possibly next year from SF), and the Bucks with Ford back will also be a pretty good team.

What do you think?

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 05/01/2004 16:02:47]
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/1/2004  4:24 PM
im with you there big smooth. out of all the young big men out there ty chandler is the guy who will be available AND I think it could be done with that kind of package that included a player like KT ending contracts etc... BUT we would need to due some serious independent evaluations of this guys back. We CANT afford any more damaged goods, we need someone who can play 80 games a year. I think this is one legitimate avenue that can be explored because at the endof the day, there isnt going to be one player even close to ty's upside that we could even come close to getting. Obviously it would be another cost expense deal primarily. If they do MRI's and they can truly deterimine whether this player is viable --whther his condition can be improved to the point where he is stable--possibly through strength training--something like what steve finley of the padres went through [although its a different ball game for a 7-2 guy]then its a reasonable scenario that should be folllowed up on.
RIP Crushalot😞
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

5/1/2004  4:40 PM
not bad
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
5/1/2004  6:13 PM
i'm there. i'm whicha smooth, with the exception of jackson. not sold on him i guess. he's a good player, no question, but anyone we even consider should be at least reasonably athletic.
i'm liking those picks too, andre emmett/rickey paulding are near the top of my list.
Ray15
Member: #668
5/1/2004  9:58 PM
I love this. You enhanced our defense tremendously with Jackson and Ty Chandler and figured out a way to give us more offensive options as well, something I couldn't figure out a way to do.

If Chandler can gain weight and stay healthy, he'd be a top 10 shotblocker in the league, possibly top 5. He's a great complement to Sweetney. The Doleac signing is something I failed to think about but it really works out great after the other moves you described.

our lower exception comes down to 3 guys if I were the GM...
1. Chris Anderson if we can't find a shotblocker anywhere else
2. Doleac if we trade KT to keep the pick and roll as you mentioned
3. Baker if we strike out with the above two and can't find a post presence elsewhere.

Defense and Toughness
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/2/2004  1:27 AM
This is exactly what they need to do. Anyone have Isiah's fax?
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/2/2004  10:07 AM
this is reality based, every move is smart and feasible and works. This really should be the exact blueprint of what we need to do this summer and I think every move can happen.

If we added
Steven Jackson
Mike Doleac [he plays better for the knicks]
Ty Chandler and a chicago crp contract[maybe we can swipe robinson instead of williams because they hate him and he would make us much more athletic but whatever contract is fine]

this team will be much better MUCH MUCH better IF chandler can play 75% of his potnetial for atleast 24 minutes a game.

This gives us a tremendous amount of size back, increases athletiscm and defense+rebounding.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/2/2004  10:51 AM
am I the only one that actually like Jerome Williams? He's good defender and hustle player, and is one of the NBA's best rebounders (per minute). This guy brings it every night, unlike Robinson who like to get paid alot to goof off and not care about winning.

Any trade that continues to make us younger works for me. Also any trade that gives us a future trading piece works as well. Thats why I liked TT/KVH trade. I thought that TT/KVH was essentially a wash, but we got a nice piece we could deal later in Nazr
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
5/2/2004  1:03 PM
I like Jerome Williams too.

After watching the Mavs/Kings series I realized how important it was to have these guys on your team. They understand their role, don't need the ball on offense, simply make hustle plays and play good defense. Attitudes are contagious, as the old saying goes, and it seemed whenever Najera came in the Mavs intensity would increase. Leave it to Don Nelson to play him sparingly.

I'd rather have Jerome over Eddie as well, but if we could get either one with Chandler, who I think is waiting to break out given the right situation, I'd be happy.
#Knickstaps
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/2/2004  7:44 PM
Jerome Williams is cool if the Knicks had a scoring up front to compensate. Jerome has a long contract so I'm sure Chicago is trying to get rid of him. I'd take Eddie Robinson and Jerome without a problem.

Tyson Chandler is right up the alley but the kids is still getting growing pains for Christ sake. Someone said we gotta do an extensive check and he's right.

I think Chandler is a double double guy in the making. A Camby clone. Could work.

I'm already sold on Stephen Jackson. Doleac is a Knick at heart too.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
raven
Member: #316
Canada
5/3/2004  3:09 AM
great proposal bigsmooth.

gald to see some people also wanting to bring back doleac to the team. I loved how he fitted with marbury.

Do you know how he played with denver ? Would he get more than our LLE ?
How about this offseason

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy