[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Team Needs
Author Thread
Ray15
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #668
4/30/2004  3:25 PM
In my opinion I see three glaring needs that must be addressed in order for us to acheive our goal of winning a championship. It might take a few seasons and offseasons, but it is possible with a little luck. All three of these needs have equal weight in my opinion and should be taken care of when the best opportunity or player presents itself.

1. Post Scoring - We need points in the paint. It is not only easier to score this way but it forces the defense to collapse and opens up tons of looks. Aside from Ewing and LJ, who were both past their prime, Allan Houston has never played with a great post player. He would not have to create his own shot and would thrive on the perimeter hoisting up threes. Houston may turn into a Dell Curry type player if his knees don't get better and that won't necessarily be a bad thing if we have a post guy that commands a double team. Elton Brand clearly fits the bill as well as Sheed but they are probably unavailable.

2. Perimeter Scoring - It is very clear that Houston is getting old and if he does evolve into a Dell Curry type guy, he would be better suited as a 6th man. We need a young, high energy type guy that can flat out score and get to the rim. We need to create more fouls and easy baskets. Shandon Anderson and Penny Hardaway just can't do either of those things. Guys like Stephen Jackson and Jamal Crawford who have been brought up fit the bill but we may need to look in unlikely places. What would it cost us to get Gerald Wallace here? This is probably the easiest bill to fill and we should look to fill the other two needs first.

3. Interior and Perimeter Defense - In order to get to the next level, we need to be one of the top 10 defensive teams in the league. Look at Dallas and Sacramento -- neither will win a ring due to their lack of defense. Look at teams like the Lakers, Spurs, and Nets. All put an emphesis on defense and have some great individual defenders in Kobe and Shaq inside, Bowen and Duncan, and Kidd and Martin. Look at the Pacers this year with Artest. The Pistons, especially their second unit. The Wallace brothers patrol the paint and guys like Mike James and Lindsey Hunter get after people. They created soo many easy baskets against the Bucks. The Nets did it against us -- Great defense leads to offense. Shotblocking is a glaring need for us because then our perimeter defenders can get after people and know they have help. Especially with Houston's lack of defense, we need a great, young perimeter defender such as Jackson or Pietrus (who is definitley not available). This is why guys like J-Rich and J-Craw worry me because they are dreadful on defense. I am opposed to A Walker for the same reason. We need to take babysteps at first and signing guys like Chris Anderson to the vet exception rather than Vin Baker is what we should be thinking about. Spliting the MLE between guyslike Mike James and Trenton Hassel wouldn't be a bad idea if we strike out everywhere else. My first realistic option, however, is Stromile Swift. He blocks shots, is athletic, plays good defense, is longer than his height and can play the 4 or 5. He is a restricted free agent and many think the Grizz won't let him go but they play him for about 20 mins a night. The full mle for a 20 min a night guy? If Jerry West gets the center he wants, Stro's mins will further reduce. I'm not sure if its within league rules, but what about offering a second rounder for them to not match our MLE offer?
Defense and Toughness
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/30/2004  4:05 PM
I like this post a lot.

1) If Sweetney develops into a post scorer (he did it at GTown), then the problem there is solved. Zach Randolph really got it going at the end of his 2nd year and his 3rd year he blew up. Sweetney is farther along than him, and I'd say they are similar players. For this reason I'd wait on post scoring and look to fill other needs like #2 and #3.

2) I'd love Stephen Jackson. I think he gives the Knicks the versatility in the backcourt they'd need. They'd have so many different players. Defense and ballhandling (Frank), ability to set up and penetrate at will (Starbury), fantastic outside shooting (Houston), versatility and leadership (Penny), an athletic guy who plays both ways (Jackson), and garbage (Anderson). (I love the generic last names like Jackson, Anderson, Thomas, and Williams.) Not to mention Tim Thomas, who brings fugazy-like toughness and an all around game starting at SF. They'd have a lot of different players, which is good.

3) I've been for signing Chris Anderson for the longest time. I'm hoping they can get him, but I doubt they will. Building a contender will take a few years, but finalizing the perimeter players this year and working on the frontcourt next year is always a possibility. If they can't sign Anderson they'll resign Baker.

I'd try to deal the expiring contracts for one of the above, either a post scorer or big man in general, or a solid wing player.
#Knickstaps
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
4/30/2004  11:57 PM
I've always been a firm believer that defensive fg percentage is a sign of good defense ...

Surprisingly, NY is one of the top 10 defensive fg teams in the league...
List goes:

1.SA
2.HOU
3.DET
4.MIN
5.NJ
6.TOR
7.MIA
8.NY
9.UTAH
10.PHIL
11.IND
12.MEM

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable1.html?cnf=1&prd=1#top
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/1/2004  1:09 AM
very good post, but I would like to add... first of all you are right we need a post scorer, period. As far as houston goes, he is 32 and his game is based on that sweet jumper, he is really not that old. I heard the same thing about spree last year and this year he looked as good as he has in the past few years, so the old thing with Houston is well... Getting old..

I do like Jason Richardson who I think will be available, the warriors are high on pietrus and for the right price, he can be had..

Sweetney, I think can develop into a low post stud but we need a good weakside shot blocker and a guy like Tyson chandler would fit the bill...

If we could add a chandler and Richardson via trade, then sign a player like Etan thomas or chris anderson with the MLE I would be very happy...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
BigSm00th
USA
5/1/2004  1:20 AM
I agree about JRich, I'd love to get him, I'm not sure what you'd give up for him and there are a fair amount of swingmen available, so he wouldn't be a top priority.

I think Chandler would be a good fit. Everyone keeps talking about Curry, but I see him being similar to Sweetney in the way they play, I'd much rather take a chance on a guy like Chandler. He has great athleticism and with the coaches on the staff I think he could improve (needs to lift more weights though.) My only concern is injuries, but I feel if he put on more muscle mass they'd decrease.

Package Chandler and Jerome Williams for KT/Nazr and an expiring contract.
#Knickstaps
Ray15
Member: #668
5/1/2004  2:32 AM
Posted by Mac:

I've always been a firm believer that defensive fg percentage is a sign of good defense ...

Good point. However, we are tied for 20th in the league in steals. We are 16th in blocks (Thanks in large part to Mutombo who most likely won't be with us next season). And in my opinion the most important statistic, we are 23rd in opponents turnovers.

Although we may play solid team defense, as shown by your opp. fg percentage stat, we do not have the individual defenders that will take us to the next level. We need a perimeter defender who can pick up before the halfcourt line. We need a shotblocker inside to allow our perimter guys to get after people to try and create steals. If they get beat there will be help which we do not have right now unless Mutombo is in the game.

[Edited by - ray15 on 05/01/2004 02:34:35]
Defense and Toughness
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/1/2004  10:30 AM
It doesn't matter how many options the Knicks have. If Sweetney can become a low post scorer then fine...Knicks still need more than just Sweetney. Indiana has Harrington and O'neal both are starters and both make Indiana the team that it is.

The more talent the better.

Penny for instance brings alot of skills to the Knicks. Knicks need more of that.
Nazr and Baker are a good tandem in the middle.
Knicks got Marbury and Moochie.

When Houston is healthy and his shot is on he is a big plus but he can become a big minus if he is hurt or not shooting well. Knicks need to get a guy that gives them a second look who can defend, run the break, rebound, and make plays. Everything that Stephen Jackson brings.

KT is just not skilled enough for the way the Knicks are trying to play. Knicks need a big man that can score or at least one that is athletic enough to finish above the rim. Sweetney already brings all the intangibles.

I'm very excited....I feel the Knicks are as close as they have ever been to actually putting a team out there that doesn't have to over achieve to get a win.

Godd Times fellas, Good Times.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NYK82034
Member: #670
Germany
5/1/2004  11:52 AM
What about Marcus Camby? He would give you nearly everything you could ask for. He gives you energy and hustle. His Playoff Performances this year reminded me alot of these days when he got us to the finals.
An healty Marcus would be a very good fit to play alongside sweets. IT maybe would be enough to pry him here, but theres the caracter thing with Dolan.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/1/2004  12:03 PM
Posted by Mac:

List goes:

1.SA
2.HOU
3.DET
4.MIN
5.NJ
6.TOR
7.MIA
8.NY
9.UTAH
10.PHIL
11.IND
12.MEM

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable1.html?cnf=1&prd=1#top

Thats a great statistic, but it would be nice to know what their FG percentage allowed was without Mutombo.
Bizzy211
Member: #601
USA
5/1/2004  12:05 PM
EnvySpree_ Could you explain what u meant by the Knicks having Marbury and Moochie? I would've expect u to say Marbury and Frank.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
BigSm00th
USA
5/1/2004  3:12 PM
Great one-on-one defender: Stephen Jackson
Best shotblocker in NBA per 48 minutes: Chris Anderson

It's these two guys I'd target. Anderson knows his role, he's like a more athletic Jeff Foster. Never gets the ball on offense, simply crashes the glass and on defense he rebounds and blocks an insane amount of shots.

If Jackson can be had for less than the MLE, I'm not sure what the starting figure is but he only made $1 million in Atlanta last year so he might be looking for a big paycheck, I'm not sure if teams will give it to him. I'd like to give most of the MLE to Jackson and then the remainder to Anderson, or give it all to Jackson and try to get Anderson for the LLE or trade for Tyson Chandler, whose stock is low and is also an above average shotblocker. Would Chicago do Chandler and Jerome Williams (4 years left on his contract) for KT and Mutumbo. If Chandler could be put on a strict weightlifting regimen and put on 20 pounds of muscle, he's a legit C at 7'1" and 250. I love JYD, I think his enthusiasm would be contagious. He's a Najera-type player, always going for looseballs, steals, getting clutch rebounds and tip-ins. The Knicks need a player like that.

This would bring the Knicks youth, athleticism, defensive intensity raised, and hopefully a hungrier team.

If they signed Stephen Jackson full MLE and did the Chandler trade (Bulls get veterans and cap relief. I think they'd do this immediately if they get the number 1 or 2 pick. Keep Curry at C, put Okafor or Howard at PF, and Chandler is no longer needed. You put hardworkers like KT and Deke in practice with those young guys and they'd learn a lot. Knicks get a player in Chandler with a TON of untapped potential and I keep looking at Sweetney and wondering what it'd be like if Chandler worked with Aguirre, Kareem, and Herb Williams. Imagine if Kareem taught him the hook? Man...):
PG: Marbury, Williams, Norris
SG: Jackson, Houston (6th man, playing 25-30 minutes)
SF: TThomas, Penny, DerMarr
PF: Mohammed, Sweetney (until he can start)
C: Chandler, Baker
IL: SAnderson

That's a definite improvement from the team we had going into the playoffs IMO.

I wouldn't mind to resign Doleac either with the LLE. I'm not sure what they need to sign DerMarr and Vin Baker, but if it's between Baker and Doleac I'm thinking long and hard about Doleac, especially if they trade KT. Doleac was very effective on the pick-and-roll with Marbury, and the team above doesn't really have a big man that can shoot. That'd be my only worry. Switch Baker and Doleac and I think that team competes with the Heat and Bucks for the 4th seed next year. Heat will be very good next year (Wade has been ridiculous in the playoffs, and Odom's living up to his billing), and the Bucks with Ford back will also be a pretty good team.

Go Knicks!

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 05/01/2004 15:21:02]
#Knickstaps
Team Needs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy