[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How is this plan for the summer
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/29/2004  5:12 PM
aftre thinking things through and really going over what is plausible what we need and always keeping an open mind to get younger--this is how I appoach the offseason

#1 obviously we must detremine what the deal is with H2O and a plan has to be implemented within 6 weeks. Im going to be bold here and place H2O as a back up 6th man type of the bench for 25 minutes. This way I don't have to count on him, but if I can have him i keep his minutes regulated and down to the 24-26 level.

#2 Go hll bent after Steve Jackson. The guy is 6-8 225 extremely versatile athletic great defender proven and unrestricted. We must be aggresive with this-offering the full MLE and a promise to start the 2G.

#3 This is a good draft for C. No matter what isiah said in terms of we are not building this way, the bottom line is we NEED a 7 foot player even if the player gets limited minutes for a year or two. This is one reason why I hated just to give up lampe for nothing but I believe this is where we can go. We can use KT and a ending contract as bait because were not going to be players for a 7 footer unless we draft 1. That is the reality. Arajuo, Harrison are the guys i have seen quite a bit and each of those players are good choices IMHO. Ive seen a little of Kosta Perovic but i think he would be out of our range. There are others who obviously they must do due dilligence on that most of any of us have not seen. But I think it is imperative to this franchise to find a real C who we can cultivate.

#4 Cut Moochie Norris and find another athletic G either through the second round trading etc.. so we can have direct competition with FW and the player. Either FW can do it and do it consistently or he gets pushed out after next year. We need a guy who can really move the ball up the court, a real speed guy with top notch athletiscm to push the ball when SM is out.
#5 Resign Vin Baker to the lower case exemption.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

4/29/2004  5:24 PM
some good ideas but i think we are gunna need to do a lot more than that to improove our team to compete with the teams we all want them to compete with
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/29/2004  5:29 PM
Cut Moochie? Why?
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
Elite

4/29/2004  5:53 PM
Posted by kam77:

Cut Moochie? Why?

cuz he blows nuts... haha.. actually.. i think hes a good 12th man for practice and he brings some spark to the bench he is a good cheerleader kinda like rick brunson used to be.. but he should never play.. lol
kam77
4/29/2004  6:19 PM
I love Frank Williams, but face facts- who has a contract with trade value?

FW, Sweets, Othella Harrington, Cezary Trybanski....

If Isiah sees a deal, and must give up FW to get it done, then Penny is our only backup if Moochie is cut. Since FW is probably one of the first guys out the door , Moochie is fine as backup.

Don't cut anyone. If someone has to go, Shandon is first.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
4/29/2004  6:46 PM
"some good ideas but i think we are gunna need to do a lot more than that to improove our team to compete with the teams we all want them to compete with"

Isiah did say the way this team gets better for the immediate future is from within. Sweetney needs to get better, so does Frank Williams. Marbury needs to improve. Nazr should hit the weights more, as should DerMarr if they keep him around. If Sweetney can average 10 and 8 (Mark Blount numbers) next year, he'll continue to improve.

I think KT and an expiring contract gets the Knicks into the first round. Would Boston do it for one of their three? I think so, esp. if they lose Blount, but you never know with Ainge. What a screwball that guy is.

If it's between Arajou and Harrison I like Arujo a little better, it'd depend on workouts and what not.

I wouldn't cut Moochie until you find that athletic player, I don't want to get rid of him and then not be able to find someone. To tell you the truth I think Isiah got Moochie to be the backup PG for the day he trades Frank Williams. I think he realizes Williams is valued and he can deal him maybe midseason next year when a team realizes they need a PG and will trade big for small. A possible guy "who can really move the ball up the court, a real speed guy" is Earl Boykins. If Denver wants an expiring contract for him, I might do that. He's one of the quickest/fastest guards in the NBA, though he's horrible on defense.

THe best thing about this plan is if Houston comes back healthy and can be held to less than 30 minutes a game. I think he's much more effective in such a situation, not having to create his shot, just coming in and shooting for a while and then going out. Let's just say Boston dealt us a pick to get Harrison for KT and Mutumbo, they traded Harrington for Boykins midseason, and signed Stephen Jackson, the team would look like this:
PG: Marbury, Boykins, Williams
SG: Jackson, Houston
SF: Thomas, Penny, Anderson, Johnson
PF: Sweetney, Baker
C: Mohammed, Harrison/Araujo

They have to take babysteps, I understand, but that really isn't much of a change from this year.

I'll judge Isiah from the Draft and FA to the trading deadline. What he does b/w that stretch will really make an impact on the future of this team, how he drafts, who he signs, and how he trades the expiring contracts and possibly FW.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/29/2004  7:48 PM
Briggs, I see your point but there is one problem. You sign JAckson and you have Houston, Penny and Shandon for about $40 mill a year for the next 3 years with about 25 minutes a game to split. I know its ugly but that just doesnt seem like a healthy situation.

Regardless of Houston's situation I have no problem with giving the minutes to Frank (even at the 2G) and Penny next year. As much as we need an athletic wing player we need athleticism in the frontcourt even more.

I like trading for a pick, but I would rather try to sing Swift with the MLE. If the Griz match then go for Blount, if he's gone then gofor Chris Anderson. If we can get anyone then peddle Nazr or Kurt for a #1 and go for JR Smith or Robert Swift.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Elite

4/29/2004  8:45 PM
biggs some good ideas but dont you think our # 1 concern needs to be getting a camby like player who is big, can run, jump, block shots, catch allyoops and play some defense?? to me tahts what we lack the most.... I like the idea of Eddie Curry
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/29/2004  9:07 PM
Stephen Jackson is a good all around player but sign him to the full MLE to bench Houston is just not feasable. Your plan is not bad but none of those big guys in the draft with the exception of Okafor interest me. I think if we could make a play for a guy like tyson chandler that would give us the camby type player we need but with a more upside, chandler will give us athleticism up front and a good weak side shotblocker..

If we can't get a player like Q richardson or even jason richardson then we should sign Jackson, but again that creates a glut at the SG spot.....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/29/2004  9:11 PM
we could use an athletic 4, but we wont get one unless keon clark floats your boat. because money is at a premium, we need to pick the best player on the board at a need position.

we can say we have andersen hardaway and h2O but guess what there is 0 reliability there andersen is a oure back up hardaway is just a shell of himself and was incosistent+ H2O is the biggest ????? you dont want to go into a season like that. Steven Jackson makes a lot of sense because he is a multi-dimensional player tough and a good long defender who can play 2 or 3 and i believe 100% that he can be had for the MLE and his play merits the MLE and hes unrestricted which is big for us.

whne you guys say eddy curry okur et al yeah id like to hav them to but guess what there is no way no how that chicago is trading eddie curry i think ty chandler is possibly for sale and would be a worthy GAMBLE but what could we give for him trade wise? that trading that isnt FA anyway

Im talking what is best and most reasonable for our MLE--i think Jackson is worth the $$$$$ fills a tremendous need and to me hes the best player on the board that is attainable. i wouldnt even post to spend the MLE for the sake of spending it--i believe you get high value from this player well worth the $$$$$$

we do need to obtain a 7 footer for the future of our club. i hope that somehow KT and an ending contract could facilitate something where we could obtain a reasonable player for 2 years and the rights to draft a C that we would like. Its not a probable scenario but rather plausible
RIP Crushalot😞
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/29/2004  10:55 PM
I feel you on some of the stuff you said Briggs.

Like this Allan Houston situation....The Knicks simply have to get a replacement. Regardless if Houston can get healthy by training camp or not. It's not about Houston...it's about winning a championship.

If you say signing Stephen Jackson for the 5.1 mid level exemption would give the Knicks too many shooting guards you are nuts. Yeah TKF...you are nuts. Houston is gonna have surgery and he needs at least 4 monts to fully let them bad boys heal and truly get the guy healthy. In the meantime Stephen Jackson would be a solid starter. Stephen is a high energy guy and he would instantly help the moral of the team. When Houston comes back that will only be a plus.

This is my fantasy plan:
#1 Sign Stephen Jackson cuz now that it's been brought to my attention, he is the fiery player the Knicks need. The Spurs players said they fed off his energy. That is just what the doctor ordered.

#Trade Frank, Mutombo, and Othella for Elton Brand. The Clippers just might do that especially if Isiah pitches it with his signature charisma. The Clippers have no identity and lack a decent enough team to still hold on to Brand. Mutombo and Othella will be off the books after next season and Frank is easily their starting point guard.

#3trade KT to Utah for one of thier picks and a filler. Utah is the land of the pick and roll and KT game relys heavily on it. Could be a match made in heaven. They are not a team built for babies. Sloan needs vets that will work his system.

So the Knicks would look like:
Pf Brand, Sweetney
SF Tim Thomas, Penny
C Nazr, Baker(re-signed for the vet minimum)
PG Stephon, Moochie, Penny
SG Stephen Jackson, Penny

Knicks could baby Houston until he's ready. Maybe coming back around Christmas or Around the all-star break.
Penny would play alot of minutes in reserve backing up all three perimeter spots. When Houston comes back he'd be sharing that role with Penny.

This would truly be a awesome team.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/29/2004  11:41 PM
That'd be a pretty awesome team.

I'd say the Knicks sign Jackson just because Lenny and IT said they need an true post player and an athletic swingman. I think banking on signing a true post player with only the MLE is a bit farfetched, and I don't want Camby.

If all the crazy options wind up being crazy (Rasheed, Okur, Swift, etc), I'd be very happy with Jackson because I just don't think Houston will be in good form next year and Jackson is a young, high energy, defensive stud who I'd love to have.

I think a Brand trade is more realistic at midseason, when the Clippers are struggling and try to save money by going that route. If they don't take a PG in the first round (I've read they love Telfair) then they might want Frank. I unfortuanately think they'd want Sweetney AND Frank, but its still a price I pay to get Elton here, who would be, in my opinion, the most well-rounded big man in the East.
#Knickstaps
kam77
4/30/2004  12:24 AM
I'm all for Steven Jackson, i can't believe he could've been had for just about 1 milliom dollars this season. He has said he wants to go back to SA.
kam77
4/30/2004  12:30 AM
If we don't get StephenJax, I was thinking Minnesota may regret signing WallyZ for 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 million dollars in the upcoming seasons. I'm sure more than a few teams will go after him in a trade and we could certainly offer enough in the way of contracts and draft picks to entice Minny to trade him. Question is do we want to take the risk on him and his longterm deal.

raven
Member: #316
Canada
4/30/2004  4:24 AM
Expiring contacts will only be valuable near the deadlines, when some teams will have trashed their season away and will like to save some money.
bernard
Member: #475
4/30/2004  10:32 AM
"the bottom line is we NEED a 7 foot player even if the player gets limited minutes for a year or two. This is one reason why I hated just to give up lampe for nothing"

I know this has already been debated, but it still puzzles me everytime I see it. We gave Lampe up for Steph. Hardly "nothing". Why is it that so many on this board assume that we could have pulled the Steph deal off giving away less? Like the deal or not, unless you have reason to know we could have structured it differently, you have to judge it as it was put together. Would have been great to keep Lampe or this year's #1, or not to have to take on Penny's contract, but we've got to assume all of that was required to get the deal done.

Also, btw, I'm not as big a S. Jackson fan as many on this board. Just don't see him as a difference maker. Hoping we'll do better w/ the exception, but we'll see.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/30/2004  11:13 AM
Posted by EnySpree:

I feel you on some of the stuff you said Briggs.

Like this Allan Houston situation....The Knicks simply have to get a replacement. Regardless if Houston can get healthy by training camp or not. It's not about Houston...it's about winning a championship.

If you say signing Stephen Jackson for the 5.1 mid level exemption would give the Knicks too many shooting guards you are nuts. Yeah TKF...you are nuts. Houston is gonna have surgery and he needs at least 4 monts to fully let them bad boys heal and truly get the guy healthy. In the meantime Stephen Jackson would be a solid starter. Stephen is a high energy guy and he would instantly help the moral of the team. When Houston comes back that will only be a plus.

This is my fantasy plan:
#1 Sign Stephen Jackson cuz now that it's been brought to my attention, he is the fiery player the Knicks need. The Spurs players said they fed off his energy. That is just what the doctor ordered.

#Trade Frank, Mutombo, and Othella for Elton Brand. The Clippers just might do that especially if Isiah pitches it with his signature charisma. The Clippers have no identity and lack a decent enough team to still hold on to Brand. Mutombo and Othella will be off the books after next season and Frank is easily their starting point guard.

#3trade KT to Utah for one of thier picks and a filler. Utah is the land of the pick and roll and KT game relys heavily on it. Could be a match made in heaven. They are not a team built for babies. Sloan needs vets that will work his system.

So the Knicks would look like:
Pf Brand, Sweetney
SF Tim Thomas, Penny
C Nazr, Baker(re-signed for the vet minimum)
PG Stephon, Moochie, Penny
SG Stephen Jackson, Penny

Knicks could baby Houston until he's ready. Maybe coming back around Christmas or Around the all-star break.
Penny would play alot of minutes in reserve backing up all three perimeter spots. When Houston comes back he'd be sharing that role with Penny.

This would truly be a awesome team.

enyspree, you see, this is where Ice kills you because of the crap you say sometimes man.You are cool with me, but you don't have a clue sometimes man... You call me nuts because I don't want to give the full exemption to a average player in Stephen Jackson, then you propose a trade of Othella, Mutombo, and Frankie for Brand....LOL.. now who is nuts homie??? huh???
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/30/2004  2:18 PM
I forgot about senor Ice. What's he up to?

Anyway...
I think that the Clippers would do that trade if it was presented right. I'm not reposting what I said.

What's wrong with Stephen Jackson? To me he's the best fit because of his fire. He was straight killing the league down the stretch as far as scoring. Atlanta sucks but they didn't suck after the Sheed trade.

Don't kill guys like Briggs and I for bringing up stuff like this. If we didn't what would you talk about? Who would you argue with?

You are my dawg TKF.....you still a idiot,
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Ray15
Member: #668
4/30/2004  3:05 PM
I love signing Stephen Jackson IF we can either but out Shandon Anderson or trade Penny for an overpriced big man such as JYD or AD from the Bulls or Dale Davis from Portland.

This signing also allows us to put Frank Williams on the market for an athletic power foward. A perimeter team of Steph, Jackson, Tim Thomas with Houston backing up the 2 and 3 and Moochie playing the 10 mins of backup point would be incredible. Steph and Jackson can get in the lane and both provide energy while Houston can shoot the lights out. Tim Thomas is very useful as a 4th or 5th option.

We can't do this all in one year and this sures up our backcourt for a very long time while we can concentrate on developing Sweetney and adding to our frontcourt midseason or next offseason.
Defense and Toughness
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
4/30/2004  4:33 PM
I think we offer our whole MLE to Stromile Swift and hope that Memphis doesn't match it. I like Stephen Jackson but I think we need more help in the frontcourt then in the backcourt. If we can't get a quality big man in the FA like Rasheed, Stromile, Camby, etc, then I try to get Stephen here. We need a lot of help defensively in the frontcourt and we need a low post scorer so I think we have to try to adress those two weaknesses this offseason. I like Stephen but if we go after a wing player I want Crawford. We know from the playoffs that if Houston is out we're gonna have trouble scoring and Jamal IMO is better at doing that then Stephen. Stephen is a good defender but Crawford isn't that bad of a defender.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
How is this plan for the summer

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy