[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Thread: Knicks travel to Houston; 1/3/14 8:00 PM ET
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/3/2014  11:04 PM
They were showing the replay, Chandler trying to stop JR from shooting.
AUTOADVERT
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
1/3/2014  11:05 PM
VDesai wrote:
Clean wrote:
VDesai wrote:
holfresh wrote:
VDesai wrote:
OasisBU wrote:
VDesai wrote:
anrst wrote:
VDesai wrote:Guys I really don't get all the hate on the JR shot. You can hold the ball and never get that wide open look. If you have a wide open look you take it so you can get the lead. Sorry, but I doubt we would've gotten a look that good after an ISO.

hold it for last shot ... best case you win... worst case it's ot

OR you have a wide open look at the basket which leaves you with the highest probability of taking the lead. More often than not you don't get a better look than that.

Agreed but he was 1-6 or something like that when he took the shot. He was ice cold. Not the time to be rolling the dice like that.

Yeah but he's a shooter. You always think you're gonna make your next shot. Especially when you get a look like that. Last year he's making that shot every time.

He can't take that shot at that time...JR was the guy that went nuts when Bargs did the same thing...

Totally different when you have the lead and the game is over vs. when the game is tied and you need to take the lead. This isn't the same situation at all.

Worst case in not shooting the ball is overtime. Worst case in taking the shot JR did is we lose. I am failing to see your logic in why that was the right shot to take.

What about the best case where you make the open shot - which is the highest percentage play.

This is simple- would you rather have an open 3 or would you rather burn off 13 seconds doing nothing and use the last 5 to go one on one and take a contested shot? Because the latter is what ends up happening most of the time, and most of the time that doesn't work. You spend your entire offense lookign for an open shot and when one presents itself like that you take it.

The highest probability of winning to me comes from getting an open shot and then defending the lead from 15 seconds rather than try the iso ball and have to win in overtime.

I don't hate the shot- I hate that he missed, but that was a friggin great look at the basket.

If we are going to go with best case then why don't we go to the actual best case and someone hits a shot at the buzzer giving the other team no chance to win. The "best case" you just said was in actuality not the beast case because the other team gets the ball back with a chance to tie or win.

holfresh
Member: #1081

1/3/2014  11:06 PM
How many times did Harden push off before making his move..Every time!!!
holfresh

1/3/2014  11:08 PM
Lin is making 15 mil next yr..Think about that for a sec..
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/3/2014  11:09 PM
The problem with waiting for the buzzer is you wait for the defense to come to you and you get the most difficult look. I'd rather take the easy look, totally undefended, get a 3 pt lead, and then defend it. I believe that is the higher percentage play.

Even with the miss the Knicks still had plenty of opportunities for overtime. I thought the last possession was far more broken given that there were guys that should've shot and we ended up with too much passing and an off balance floater.

holfresh

1/3/2014  11:11 PM
VDesai wrote:The problem with waiting for the buzzer is you wait for the defense to come to you and you get the most difficult look. I'd rather take the easy look, totally undefended, get a 3 pt lead, and then defend it. I believe that is the higher percentage play.

Even with the miss the Knicks still had plenty of opportunities for overtime. I thought the last possession was far more broken given that there were guys that should've shot and we ended up with too much passing and an off balance floater.

But you give the other team a chance to win the game in regulation if u miss ..

playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

1/3/2014  11:18 PM
PresIke wrote:
Travla wrote:all he had to do was hold the ball and let them foul.

Sorry...why foul when the game is tied???

Beno is a 4th string pg for a reason, he forgot what a floor leader does. I bet you Felton would have held the ball

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Clean
1/3/2014  11:19 PM
VDesai wrote:The problem with waiting for the buzzer is you wait for the defense to come to you and you get the most difficult look. I'd rather take the easy look, totally undefended, get a 3 pt lead, and then defend it. I believe that is the higher percentage play.

The bold is the problem with your logic. You are not guaranteed to hit the shot. So if you miss the shot instead of overtime you are looking at possibly losing the game. Remember you are more likely to miss 3pt shots if your open or not. This is why it is rare that people shoot above 50% from 3 over a long period of time. I would rather take my chances with a contested shot with no time left than an open 3 with 18 seconds left in a tie game.

TeamBall
Member: #4386

1/3/2014  11:22 PM
I'm hearing that JR said he thought we were down 2??
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/3/2014  11:24 PM
Melo a bit critical of beno.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
1/3/2014  11:32 PM
VDesai wrote:
Vmart wrote:This is the second time a Knicks player has shot the ball when it would have been wise to hold the ball and milk the clock.

COMPLETELY different situation. If you are already winning the ball game, you hold the ball, milk the clock and make them foul you. When the game is tied you have to take the lead. JR had a wide open. You will not get a better look than that by running the clock down and playing one on one. You will get a much worse shot and reduce your probabability of winning. You make a wide open 3 there and you're playing from the lead and they probably won't catch.

I think you've gotta take that shot. More often than not coaches play for one tough shot down the stretch with some kind of an iso instead of trying to find a free shot in the flow of the offense, and they almost always end up with some difficult low percentage shot.

No you work the clock for a final shot. If you miss you get OT at best. All that the shot that JR took did was guarantee Houston a chance to win.

holfresh

1/3/2014  11:33 PM
TeamBall wrote:I'm hearing that JR said he thought we were down 2??

I'm not sure which is worse of the three..him not knowing the game was tied, him taking the shot or him admitting he didn't know ...

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
Okay enough of that.
Clean
CrushAlot wrote:Melo a bit critical of beno.

what did he say?

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
1/3/2014  11:47 PM
holfresh wrote:

I'm not sure which is worse of the three..him not knowing the game was tied, him taking the shot or him admitting he didn't know ...

he really admitted that?

TeamBall
Member: #4386

1/3/2014  11:51 PM
anrst wrote:
holfresh wrote:

he really admitted that?

I caught a bit of Melo's post game and Tina quoted JR as saying that
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
CrushAlot
USA
1/4/2014  12:01 AM
anrst wrote:
holfresh wrote:

he really admitted that?

Yean. He said it in his post game interview. He also said the shot was a low iq play.
CrushAlot
USA
1/4/2014  12:11 AM
I think this current laker team is the type that D'Antoni excels at coaching. He has guys looking really good. Shawne and Kendall look like great. Pau is playing well for him tonight. I like Marshall a lot and I am glad he is getting an opportunity to play. I wish he was a Knick.
holfresh

1/4/2014  12:13 AM
Orange Bowl Classic happening now on ESPN..
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

1/4/2014  12:31 AM
Clean wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Melo a bit critical of beno.

what did he say?

In substance he said Beno should've taken the shot when the ball swung to him in the corner/elbow (I agree--he was open) and he also said when Tyson got that big offensive rebound and threw it to Beno, he was surprised Beno didn't just hold the ball instead of immediately passing it to JR up top (I agree with that as well).

Gotta take the good with the bad with this dude Udrih -- he can make a mid-range J and he's fairly aggressive with his penetration (albeit not overly quick which hurts him) but on the flip side, he's turnover prone, a piss-poor defender and he doesn't possess the type of IQ you'd expect from a PG who's been around as long as he has (NBA and Europe). Unfortunately, the negatives have been really surprising and outweigh the positives. That's this guy in a nutshell.

Game Thread: Knicks travel to Houston; 1/3/14 8:00 PM ET

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy