Mark Blount
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/28/2004  3:36 PM
Was brought up on another thread...

He's not the savior but Briggs is always talking about style of play and I would much rather have Blount than a lot of others. 6 years and $38 mill might do it.
I have no doubt we could move Nazr for a mid-low first rounder. I'm actually convinced thats why we got him... some part of part bait. If we could then use that to draft JRSmith (the kid from NJ) we would be in GREAT shape moving forward.

Forget about using the MLE on a wing player. I expect Isiah could draft a Josh Howard or Marquis Daniels. You can always get a very late #1 for a #2 or "future considerations" from a team that just doesnt have a roster spot or wants to avoid a 3 year guarenteed contract for a player they dont really need.

If Houston cant go put Frank at the other guard spot. He's a good tough defender and a great passer next to Steph and TT in the half court or runing the floor. Then you look something like this:
pg Marbury
sg Williams
sf TThomas
pf KT
c Blount
Bench: Penny, Sweetney, Baker, JR Smith

You put a versatile scoring 3 around 4 guys that are good defenders and play hardnosed ball. Also you have 3 great ball handlers in the starting line up and 1 coming off the bench.

Briggs... you like that style of play (no I'm not being sarcastic)
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/28/2004  3:44 PM
I like Mark Blounts swagger. He could have a decent year if given the playing time. Same was said about Nazr when he got to Atlanta.

Blount does alot of things well at the center spot.

Shame we only have one 5.1 mill exemption.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/28/2004  4:04 PM
Marbury, apparently, is not a very good defender.
Even Lenny said as much.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
fishmike
USA
4/28/2004  4:19 PM
he's not good on the ball, and because of how strong he is he's actually better against bigger players. He's also a little lazy getting over screens. Those are the negatives. The positives are he has great hands, he's very quick and deflects a lot of balls. He's great at slapping balls away and he's good one on one.

Over all I would say Marbury is a good defensive player. He's not Payton, but overall he's good an could be a part of a very good team defense.
EnySpree

4/28/2004  4:33 PM
Posted by fishmike:

he's not good on the ball, and because of how strong he is he's actually better against bigger players. He's also a little lazy getting over screens. Those are the negatives. The positives are he has great hands, he's very quick and deflects a lot of balls. He's great at slapping balls away and he's good one on one.

Over all I would say Marbury is a good defensive player. He's not Payton, but overall he's good an could be a part of a very good team defense.

I agree....what more can a player do? He's the number one option on offense, handles the ball the whole game....now you want him to be Bruce Bowen on defense?

Marbury is a solid defender.

What people should stop saying is that Shandon is the Knicks best perimeter defender. That irks me. Frank and Penny are the best perimeter defenders the Knicks have.

Besides Fishy....this is a Mark Blount thread....why you got me getting on Kam?
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
USA
4/28/2004  4:43 PM
lol.. true true.

I think we already have a better crew than most give us credit for, but I think the above line up gives us a nice identity. A tough defensive team with a lot of hustle and attitude. Its also a fairly young team with a good pipeline.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
4/28/2004  8:55 PM
I'd rather have Okur for a number of reasons:
1) Signing Blount makes Nazr expendable, while signing Okur makes KT expendable. In my mind the Knicks can get mor for Thomas than they can for Nazr.
2) Blount averaging 8 rebounds per game on probably the weakest or one of the weakest front lines in the NBA isn't really remarkable to me. He's never really done much, comes into a contract year in a good situation, and he produced slightly above average for a EC C. I don't think that merits the ENTIRE MLE. Almost $40 million for Mark Blount? Come on, that's a little crazy.
3) Okur would fit in perfectly with this offense. I'd love to have a totally defensive minded team too, but with the coach and the players, I don't see that happening. Billups ran the pick and roll very well with Okur this year, and Marbury is probably the best in the NBA at it. Okur would see several wide open shots a game from Marbury's penetration, basically the same shots KT sees but the person whooting them is a better shooter with deeper range.

I'd say if the Knicks want a defensive/rebound guy, go with Etan Thomas. If they want to help their offense go with Okur. I'm just not a big fan of Blount.
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/28/2004  9:11 PM
there is no way and i mean no way we are getting okur none zero zilch there are so many teams with cap room that it isnt funny but on top of that he is going to resign with rasheed in detroit most likely. the only reason i brought up blount is because he showed real serious potential over the last 40 games or so and he is e legit 7-0 and unrestricted meaning no barrier except $$$ but in reality we likley have zero chance for him either on top of that we have a player in nazr who is close in many ways and under contract

look at the finances of many clubs and look at the knick finances yeah a guy like okur would be great to get but it isnt happening really the more i look at it, the more i dont see many avenues for the knicks.

the more likely secnario is using the ending contracts and KT i dont think dolan is going to use the mle for the heck of it. we still have to pay baker/johnson and our payroll stands at 95mm right now

who knows what will happen, but i do know that we have VERY little leeway compared to many other teams they will get that reality of a 50mm luxury tax soon.
RIP Crushalot😞
EnySpree

4/28/2004  9:12 PM
I've been looking at Okur for a while...
He puts up some crazy numbers sometimes....then he puts up mediocre ones.

He's still taller, faster, quicker, with more offensive options than KT. Could the Knicks sign and trade KT for Okur? I think KT could help Detroit.

I just wanna sign Etan Thomas. Etan has the Knicks attitude in his soul.
fishmike
USA
4/28/2004  9:20 PM
there is no way and i mean no way we are getting okur none zero zilch there are so many teams with cap room that it isnt funny

Actually there are about 3 teams. The Hawks, Jazz and Suns.
BigSm00th
USA
4/28/2004  9:37 PM
Okur is unrestricted, the only team I could see giving him a lot of money would be Utah. Some guys really like NY, I don't know how much more a team would offer him more than $45 million, which isn't a lot more than the full MLE.

Then again, I could use Briggs logic and bank on the team bus crashing and the Knicks having zero players on the roster come next offseason. Based on my calculations, there is a pretty good chance this happens.
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
4/28/2004  9:38 PM
no you can add just off the top of my head the spurs the nuggets the clippers the warriors the charlotte bobcats who all have cap space for FA up to the max and thats not including many scenarios where 2-3-4 more teams will ahve significant cap space using utah atlanta etc.. as the place to send a player or losing a playerin the draft to the bobcats. on top of that there are many many teams that can use slighty more than the mLE like 6-7 mm i counted 5 more clubs and many more who have a starting position ready plus the mle.. we have to take into account that our payroll as it stands is more than twice as much as any other club+ we have 12 guys under contract not including baker + johnson. an mle costs us 10.2mm a year because of the tax--how is isah going to explain that he is worth this money on top of what we are dishing out when a guy like nazr is close to what blount is? i dont know but i think we are low on the totem pole IF we even use any money--i really dont see how they can?
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
4/28/2004  9:45 PM
why would detroit not sign him? joe dumars says hes resigning him and they can pay him much more than we can, on top of that even if he took 45mm thats 15 mm more than the knicks could pay 15 mm is 15 mm baby
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
USA
4/28/2004  9:57 PM
Is Dumars going to say he's not going to sign him? That makes no sense. I just don't forsee Detroit having enough money to pay Wallace and Okur, what will that be combined, $25 million+ when they have Darko sitting on the bench for the next 3 years and it'll push them well beyond the luxury tax threshold, which will needed to be paid it seems. Going by logic I've ruled them out, it just doesn't make sense. He's expendable.

Knicks can offer, from what I remember, 6 years and $35 million. Teams are going to offer more than $40 million for him? I don't see that happening.

Who wants to play in Atlanta or Charlotte, two franchises with nothing?
He's going to backup Duncan in San Antonio? I think he's done enough coming off the bench in Detroit.

Like I said, the only team I see that might sign him is Utah, they have the money and a situation where he'd start and get significant PT. But he'd have to D up the bigs in the West night in and night out, and for a guy who likes to focus on offense, maybe that's not what he wants.

Dolan said he'd give Isiah the money, so bringing up the fact that he'll have to sell this Dolan is a moot point because Dolan's said he'll let Isiah do what he wants.

In my mind if you show up on Okur's doorstep at 12:01 and offer him the MLE, take him for a week to New York, and show him videotape of Marbury creating countless easy baskets for Doleac and KT off the pick and roll (which is his favorite play) he'd be willing to take a possible paycut to play in NY. Maybe this is where the NY allure of playing in NY, at MSG, with a premiere PG comes to help us, who knows? I'm not just going to write him off becuase Atlanta has cap room and can offer him a max contract.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
USA
4/29/2004  9:52 AM
Det is only around $10 mill under the cap, adn Okur is an early Bird player. They cant sign Okur, then go over the cap to resign Wallace... its against the CBA. The only way they are under the cap is if they drop their Bird rights to Wallace.

The Spurs are under the cap but are in the same situation with Ginobili. If they plan to resign him their space is toast.

The Nuggets certainly plan to sign a bigtime FA, but they have their own guys on the way out also, in Camby, White and Boykins... all major players for them.

If Dampier opts out the Warriors are about $8 mill under. When was the last time a FA of any quality actually went to the Clippers (who dont even pay their own players) or the Warriors.

All these teams with cap space have major decisions of their own, and most have their own FAs they will need to resign.

Its Atl, Pho and the Jazz. Atl is under new ownership so there's another issue.

Bottom line is every year the big FAs have about 2 choices. Resign or go to one (maybe two) teams.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/29/2004  10:22 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Det is only around $10 mill under the cap, adn Okur is an early Bird player. They cant sign Okur, then go over the cap to resign Wallace... its against the CBA. The only way they are under the cap is if they drop their Bird rights to Wallace.

The Spurs are under the cap but are in the same situation with Ginobili. If they plan to resign him their space is toast.

The Nuggets certainly plan to sign a bigtime FA, but they have their own guys on the way out also, in Camby, White and Boykins... all major players for them.

If Dampier opts out the Warriors are about $8 mill under. When was the last time a FA of any quality actually went to the Clippers (who dont even pay their own players) or the Warriors.

All these teams with cap space have major decisions of their own, and most have their own FAs they will need to resign.

Bottom line is every year the big FAs have about 2 choices. Resign or go to one (maybe two) teams.

i thought boykins signed a 5 year deal for $15 mil this offseason?

and, is it against the rules for a team to use the MLE two years in a row? if that's the case, if the choices are blount or to wait, then i would probably wait until next offseason.
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
4/29/2004  10:23 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Okur signing for the mle would be a dream come true for the pistons b/c he is a restricted FA and they can match any offer up to the mle while still retaining Wallace's bird rights. Assuming they keep Wallace, they remain technically over the cap and thus get a mle of their own to use. However, if Okur signs for more than the mle, they will have to let him go or renounce wallace to get the cap room to resign him.

Okur will get more than the mle from someone, utah, denver, atl, or the suns will probably offer 7-8mm/yr. Big men are a preminum in this league. Look what Rasho Nesterovic got last year from SA, that will give a good indication of what Okur is worth.
BRIGGS
4/29/2004  10:46 AM
detroit is in great shape to sign both players. ny has 0 chance at okur none nada nothing because the most they could offer is the MLE which would be matched. i dont think the guys agent would even consider signing one. Detroit is in a position IF they needed to make a deal with Charlotte for a draft pick in 06 if they take cambpell and throw in 3mm$ they could offer this deal to any of 4-5 teams to get rid of his cap number of 4.4mm IF even needed. I think they will resign okur within reason, but if some team comes up with something out of this world like 9mm+ I think they are smart enough to let him go. They will take care of wallace, im sure they could sign him to something like 3 years 30 mm. In any case there is no scenario for the knicks for these players none nada, if we offer the mle to okur hes not likely to sign or if for some unkown reason he did, they would match. raweed would have to take half the money at a minimum and i doubt it, hes already in a nice position.

FA for the knicks isnt going to be some kind of grand happening--if you look at the number of teams with huge cap space middle cap space the number of restricted FA--we have literally no chance of signing a real good player. Its more likely that we could use ending contracts or KT because we need roster spots anyway. Our big signing will likely be Vin Baker. Im almost positive that we would have to use MLE money on him anyway if he wants something like 3 years 10mm. If he doesnt get it from us, hell get 3mm or so from some other team.
RIP Crushalot😞
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
4/29/2004  11:16 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

detroit is in great shape to sign both players. ny has 0 chance at okur none nada nothing because the most they could offer is the MLE which would be matched. i dont think the guys agent would even consider signing one. Detroit is in a position IF they needed to make a deal with Charlotte for a draft pick in 06 if they take cambpell and throw in 3mm$ they could offer this deal to any of 4-5 teams to get rid of his cap number of 4.4mm IF even needed. I think they will resign okur within reason, but if some team comes up with something out of this world like 9mm+ I think they are smart enough to let him go. They will take care of wallace, im sure they could sign him to something like 3 years 30 mm. In any case there is no scenario for the knicks for these players none nada, if we offer the mle to okur hes not likely to sign or if for some unkown reason he did, they would match. raweed would have to take half the money at a minimum and i doubt it, hes already in a nice position.

FA for the knicks isnt going to be some kind of grand happening--if you look at the number of teams with huge cap space middle cap space the number of restricted FA--we have literally no chance of signing a real good player. Its more likely that we could use ending contracts or KT because we need roster spots anyway. Our big signing will likely be Vin Baker. Im almost positive that we would have to use MLE money on him anyway if he wants something like 3 years 10mm. If he doesnt get it from us, hell get 3mm or so from some other team.

I agree that there is no chance for okur and likely very little chance for wallace. If the scenario plays out as suggested, (cambell to cha in expansion draft) Detroit would have around 14mm in cap space to sign both players. They only get the cap space by renouncing wallace's bird rights. lets say they negotiate with Okur a deal at around 7mm (which i think his market rate will be to teams like utah/denver) That would leave them 7mm to sign weed.

Now, If the Knicks came up with the full 6 yr MLE offer to wallace, Detroit could still outpay us, but not by a substantial amount. As you said Briggs their offer to sheed is likely to be 3-4 years. If rasheed is looking at a 4 year offer from DET at 7mm/yr or a 5.1mm from NY for 6 years, its not a slam dunk that he'll sign w/ them. I'd say it would be close to 50/50 at that point, maybe sightly favoring detroit if they advance far in the playoffs.

Of course, this all becomes moot if
1) Okur signs for the mle
2) they let Okur go and keep Wallace rights

This also is looking at these two teams in a vaccum. If detroit goes this route and renouces rasheed's rights to sign okur, other teams with cap room will be in the running for his services. Can't see utah or Atl as possibilites, but Denver (if they lose camby) or the Suns could be options and offer more more than both Detroit and NY.

All in all, I would say the chance for okur is 0 and for wallace is low, probably 5% chance of it happening, only based on the fact that he seemed to favor NY during the season.
fishmike
USA
4/29/2004  11:23 AM
Again... Det is NOT in good shape to sign them both. Who is Cha going to take? Elden Cambell? So Det will give up a #1 so Cha takes Cambell so Det can have more cap space? If your Cha why not just offer Okur a long term deal? He's a perfect fit for a new team.

Sorry, your arguement is based on some team doing Det favors and Bos already did that, and now Det has no #1.

If Det is signing both SOMEBODY's getting less than $5 mill a year. Please tell me who that is.

Utah with their $8 mill roster will probably offer Okur $7 mill a year or so. If Det matches they CAN NOT resgin Wallace for anything more than the MLE.

I'm not saying we are getting Okur OR Rasheed.. but I can pretty much promise Det isnt getting both. They knew this going in.
Mark Blount

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy