Get Etan Thomas
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/28/2004  9:50 AM
is he available?

He can help us? He'll give us the toughness we need so that Kmart doesn't parade over our players. Etan is a beast with the intangibles. offensive rebounding, shot blocking, hustle etc
AUTOADVERT
nyvector16
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #130
USA
4/28/2004  11:20 AM
I loved him in Syracuse...
He's got great upside and played hard this year.
I would still love to have Brendan Haywood from the Wizards though.
Although I would be happy if either one of those guys suited up for us.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/28/2004  11:30 AM
that would be a player that i would use my MLE on, no doubt about that. but i think they will match a full mle. im scared they are going to try to go after something like mark blount etan thomas IMHO is right at the top of any knick MLE list he is tough he can block shots he can rebound he can play 4 or 5 hes 24 years old hes 6-9 255 in great shape--hes really a form of ben wallace and i think hes a guy who deserves to get a chance to start
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/28/2004  11:35 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

that would be a player that i would use my MLE on, no doubt about that. but i think they will match a full mle. im scared they are going to try to go after something like mark blount etan thomas IMHO is right at the top of any knick MLE list he is tough he can block shots he can rebound he can play 4 or 5 hes 24 years old hes 6-9 255 in great shape--hes really a form of ben wallace and i think hes a guy who deserves to get a chance to start

I didn't like him at first but he is the type of guy that would have put a net on his ass after that foul on TT, Etan is rough and tough, rebounds and blocks shots well. I like him..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
4/28/2004  12:27 PM
don't be surprise if Isia acquire him. I do believe that his contract is up and the Wiz are not willing to re-sign him. With good coaching, he may become an excellent player. This year he was a little better playing with his back facing the basket.
The true Knickabocker..........
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/28/2004  12:53 PM
Why would you spend the MLE on Etan Thomas when you already have Kurt and Sweets?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/28/2004  1:04 PM
Etan is 26 but thats besides the point. I would definatly consider him and upgrade to KT in terms of size, skill, upside and athleticism. Plus I hear his brain actually functions while he plays. Would 6 years do it? Tough one.. thats a long contract to offer him. I'm not sure he's the guy you want to do that with, but we will see.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
USA
4/28/2004  1:39 PM
Etan is much taller and much more agressive than Kurt. Oh, let's not forget that he is also a New Yorker.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/28/2004  1:46 PM
I still don't get this. Waste the MLE to sign a player that you already have a duplicate for? Hello, Sweets...

Sign a shotblocking center and now you would have my attention. Sign a post player who can draw a double team and you do the same.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
diderotn
USA
4/28/2004  1:51 PM
Frankly, I would much prefer JYD(Jerome Williams). If we get rid of Kurt Thomas, which I hope comes true, We will need a backup or a starter for that position. Yeah, you are right, we will also need a Center type of player.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/28/2004  1:54 PM
isn't also true that you can't use the MLE in consecutive seasons? can someone clear that up for me?

if that's the case, i don't know if i would waste it on etan or blount this offseason. they are solid role players but i don't know if you want to commit to them for 5-6 years. if that's the best we can do, i would rather save it for the following season.
fishmike
USA
4/28/2004  1:54 PM
he's a good player to discuss based on other moves. I still think Sweetney is at least another year away. He's nice off the bench but still clearly has a lot to learn.

If I could trade both KT and Nazr for mid level draft picks I would. Especially if I could then a guy like Etan Thomas.
diderotn
USA
4/28/2004  2:22 PM
Josh HOward, the High-school kid 6'11" from Atlanta should be someone that the Knicks truly try to go after. I know that some teams are affraid to take a chance on a high-school player, but for what the Knicks would want him for, he would fit the bill. I don't know if I got his name right, but he is the kid from Georgia's prepschool that everyone is talking about.
BRIGGS
4/28/2004  2:28 PM
hes no where near KT skill level--KT is on a very high level in terms of skill. Etan Thomas is much more of an athletic shot blocking tough guy than a skill player and is 6-7 years younger. KT is a fit with someone like SA which has 2 posts players and could use a rebounding jumpshooter who plays good D from the 4.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
4/28/2004  2:34 PM
how do you say Tim Thomas has the skills of a frog and no hoops IQ but Kurt Thomas is highly skilled? Skilled at what? KT has an OK mid range jump shot. He's got NO moves around the basket and is a below average athlete. What you get with Nazr and Etan are two guys that will dunk on you if your even a little out of position. Kurt cant even do that. Kurt has no ball handling skills. Kurt is a bad passer (heck he even has trouble inbounding the ball).

I do think besides all that Kurt is valuable because he plays hard, is good on a pick and roll and is a tough rebounder. This is why I like him going to Utah. He would be a nice fit next to guys like Harpring and Kirelenko. He's also basicly a MLE player.
BRIGGS
4/28/2004  3:00 PM
Tim Thomas is a high skill player with slightly above average NBA athletiscm low basketball IQ and no heart. Kenyon Martin is a guy who has way above average athletiscm very good skills solid basketball IQ a tremendous heart a true warrior--two different breeds of players.

KT is a skill player. How many 6-9 235 pound guys have his jumpshot? he's very skilled on both the offensive and defsneive sides of the ball-very solid fundamental player with heart. he has below average athletiscm

im not going to rebuke something as outrageous as nazr and frank williams for brand in our dreams mate. like i said 25 other teams would also want brnad and 23 of them could give much better deals. in any event you DONT trade a guy like elton brand.
RIP Crushalot😞
turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
4/28/2004  3:06 PM
i would rather try for haywood myself. no more 6'10" centres please (maybe foyle). we might have to take leatener's contract back with haywood, but i think it would be worth it.

word on the street is they want to get rid of stack aswell. we really dont need stack but we could always trade him again.

we could make up a package for haywood, leatener and stack..........maybe kurt, deke, moochie and trybanski. its probably not enough for the wiz but they do want to get rid of 2 of 3 guys, bad.

then

we turn around and trade houston, stack and harrington to the magic for mcgrady.

if only thing happened in the real world like they do in my world.

c-haywood, leatner
pf-sweetney, nazr
sf-thomas, johnson
sg-tmac, penny
pg-marbury, williams

dont take the last part to seriously, my point is i like haywood alot more than etan thomas.
turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
4/28/2004  3:13 PM
oops.

i meant to trade houston, stack and harrington for tmac and hill. hill is useless but it sweetens the deal for the magic to get out of his contract.

anyway back to my world.
BRIGGS
4/28/2004  3:15 PM
haywood is awful-- he is uncoordinated. If we want a 7 footer that is available start with Blount or Mihm. Etan Thomas is tough athletic and plays bigger than 6-9. but again i think that they will match a mle for etan why wouldnt they? i think it is possible that a utah throws 5 years 35mm at Thomas to play 4.

the thing about Blount is he is UNRESTRICTED and Isiah could talk him into joining the knicks. Blount sure iS NOT the saviour, but he did play at a very high level for many games, a level much higher than 5mm$ worth.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
4/28/2004  3:18 PM
"in any event you DONT trade a guy like elton brand."

Really? Do you trade players like Jermain Oneil, Antwan Jamison? Chris Webber? I mean do we really have to go through the list of every trade that ever made you scratch your head? Jalen Rose for Artest, Miller and Mercer? Elton Brand for Tyson Chander? We could go at this all day, but your wrong. Plain and simple.

YOU would NOT trade Elton Brand. What the Clippers or other teams do isnt what you would do. Every organization has a different agenda. Cuban would have a $200 mill payroll if it meant he beat Shaq and Kobe for a title. Sterling would have a $5 mill payroll if the NBA would let him and his building still sold 12,000 tickets a game.

Teams will make a bad trade just to get $5 mill in cap flexibility or avoid a luxury tax that may or may not hit. These things happen multiple times every year, so please stop assuring me there is a 99.9% chance we will only get some retread or cast off. Its old and I like to think you know more about the NBA than that. Else I wouldnt read what you write at all.

Living in total denial that every team has different needs and different agendas is not living in reality.

The difference between then and now is Isiah will take a risk on move for a young player or pick because his reputation and position affords him to. LAyden was paralyzed by fear and no other GM would take to him anyway.
Get Etan Thomas

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy