Game thread: The Knicks vs Celtic massacre II: Woody Watch
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/13/2013  11:05 PM
blkexec wrote:
Clean wrote:I am starting to think Woody wants to be fired. I can not believe someone can look at the STATs and say run more ISO's. We run ISO's more than any team in the league and get the lowest percentage of ISO's leading to a score. There is no way he can be that bad of a coach.

Well....Stat said Woody gives them a game plan, but when it's time to play or especially during crunch time, the players defer to the best player, which is Melo. And Melo's main offensive gift is ISO ball. So it's Woody and the players them selves. Woody and really any coach needs a PG that knows how to control the game and become an extention of the coach. Which is why Jason Kidd was so important to this team, even when he was shooting bad. He was providing a voice for Woody.

If Melo is a real superstar, with leadership qualities and a voice for the coach while in the game, we wouldn't have this problem. This is why I can't see building around Melo when he's the lead dog. He's not batman....He's robin who needs a batman to make him look good. That college championship got to his head thinking he can lead any team to a championship. He had a great coach and solid role players, against college level talent. It hasn't worked so far in the NBA when he's the lead guy. This is why him and JR was traded. They are both streaky ISO jump shooters.

It's also not Woody's fault for the makeup of this team. You can spread the blame across multiple players, owners, ect....Finding the problem is easy....Finding the solution is the key!

I've said from day one, the Knicks need to stop this free agent rebuilding stuff for years, and build thru the draft. But when your owner is a billionaire, you are impatiently willing to over pay for damaged goods or overrated talent. And that will continue to happen as long as Dolan is the owner. Dolan needs somebody with a basketball mind that he can trust. These yes men he hires is not helping.

Melo basically said the same thing as Stat. Also, Hahn and Wally were talking about how they let the shot clock run down to 8 and then give the ball to Melo hoping he can do something. Not sure what the fix is.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Clean
Member: #743
12/13/2013  11:11 PM
This is why I hate guaranteed contracts. A lot of players get there money then they no longer care until last year of their contract.
blkexec
Member: #748
12/13/2013  11:19 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Clean wrote:I am starting to think Woody wants to be fired. I can not believe someone can look at the STATs and say run more ISO's. We run ISO's more than any team in the league and get the lowest percentage of ISO's leading to a score. There is no way he can be that bad of a coach.

Well....Stat said Woody gives them a game plan, but when it's time to play or especially during crunch time, the players defer to the best player, which is Melo. And Melo's main offensive gift is ISO ball. So it's Woody and the players them selves. Woody and really any coach needs a PG that knows how to control the game and become an extention of the coach. Which is why Jason Kidd was so important to this team, even when he was shooting bad. He was providing a voice for Woody.

If Melo is a real superstar, with leadership qualities and a voice for the coach while in the game, we wouldn't have this problem. This is why I can't see building around Melo when he's the lead dog. He's not batman....He's robin who needs a batman to make him look good. That college championship got to his head thinking he can lead any team to a championship. He had a great coach and solid role players, against college level talent. It hasn't worked so far in the NBA when he's the lead guy. This is why him and JR was traded. They are both streaky ISO jump shooters.

It's also not Woody's fault for the makeup of this team. You can spread the blame across multiple players, owners, ect....Finding the problem is easy....Finding the solution is the key!

I've said from day one, the Knicks need to stop this free agent rebuilding stuff for years, and build thru the draft. But when your owner is a billionaire, you are impatiently willing to over pay for damaged goods or overrated talent. And that will continue to happen as long as Dolan is the owner. Dolan needs somebody with a basketball mind that he can trust. These yes men he hires is not helping.

Melo basically said the same thing as Stat. Also, Hahn and Wally were talking about how they let the shot clock run down to 8 and then give the ball to Melo hoping he can do something. Not sure what the fix is.

Get rid of Melo for one....Or find a coach thats willing to challenge their best player(s). The problem with the knicks is that everybody thinks we are one move away from fixing this thing. First you have to know what type of team are we or what are we trying to become. I think Dantoni messed us up. Took us from a defensive team and turned us into an offensive team. Now Woodson is stuck trying to teach an offensive team to play defense. While he's also learning on the job on how to be a head coach. I think Dolan puts pressure on any coach, and it takes a special coach to challenge Dolan. Thats why Dolan only hires people he can control, instead of bringing in the best. He has the money to do it, but doesn't want to give up control. Once he gives up control and hires somebody like Phil Jackson, or any solid basketball mind, things will change. The problem is Dolan will F that up to, once they change things for the better.

Hey, I learned from Guy, just stop watching the knicks. I watched a little of the 4th, saw them losing the lead and said, here we go again. I'm almost expecting them to lose. At this point, that might be the best strategy right now. Keep Woodson and Melo....alow Felton and company to continue their non PG play. And let this thing self destruct. Start from scratch for once (2015) and decide what type of team you want to be. If you are going to have a team where your pg and center are your worse players, then use Miami as your guide. Or take the traditional route, and make sure your PG and Center are your best players, or have the highest basketball IQ on the team. Then build around the two most important positions in the NBA, pg and center. The problem with following Miami is that there's only 1 Lebron. Then you have to find two superstars to pair up with your top player. Not going to happen. Find a PG and a Center...find a coach with a championship pedigree....And build from there.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
Member: #748
12/13/2013  11:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/13/2013  11:26 PM
Clean wrote:This is why I hate guaranteed contracts. A lot of players get there money then they no longer care until last year of their contract.

I don't think its because they don't care. It's just a simple fact that you play better when you are hungry. Just like I want to be an entreprenuer, but with a good paying job and steady income, I'm not hungry. But I have friends that were broke, looking for a job. Now they are making more than me. Basketball is mental, and if your goal is to make money, then there's nothing else to fight for. You're just going with the flow, until your contract is up. Money is the route of all evil, and this is why the NBA today is worse than the NBA back in the days. Back then, everybody was hungry. Now everybody are instant millionaires. Even some role players. Building through the draft will help bring back that hunger. Bring these young guys in thats hungry for success.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
CrushAlot
USA
12/13/2013  11:46 PM
Interesting stat. The starters, even Shump, were all positives on the +/- stat and the reserves were all well into the negative.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/14/2013  12:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2013  12:23 AM
blkexec wrote:

TO BE FAIR, Mcnamara and Warrick were just more than solid role players in college, they were very good players... that cuse team was way more than just carmelo..

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
12/14/2013  12:24 AM
nycisgreat wrote:
franco12 wrote:Melo=Loser

Melo is like Ewing. He has no legitimate help. He needs a facilitator.

he is nothing like Ewing... and the he needs help argument is old now.. he is a loser

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
12/14/2013  12:27 AM
well I am finally in first place with game picker..
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
12/14/2013  1:31 AM
I hate this team. Fire Woody already. Wont make a difference but who cares at this point.

Fire sale!

Knicks_Fan
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

12/14/2013  1:58 AM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:
nycisgreat wrote:I say Woody would probably get let go if we lose tomorrow, and I think we will too. I am not trying to be negative, but I am trying to be a realist. This team hasn't shown any fight from day one.

Thats not really a negative, Woodson is not a championship coach.

It's a negative if you think Woodson and the Knicks were sabotaged with the grunwald firing and keeping Chris on the roster. A lot of funky sh@t has gone on this year. Add injuries and the ridiculously poor play of jr, shump, Felton, and amare for the first 2/3 of this season. What coach can win with minute and game restrictions on their bigs. At this point I am not sure that it matters what happens to Woodson. He never should have fired his agent. Once he showed he would compromise his character to keep his job he has been manipulated and put in compromised positions by the owner.

Crush, don't deflect blame here. Woody had this game in his LAP!!! STAT was 7-9 and clearly the best man on the floor. STAT is your most efficient player and you mean you can't call for post ups for STAT when they haven't stopped him all night? That's not about the players that's F'd up coaching. What else is he on the sidelines for if not to make sure that you go to your best advantage. What does Woody do? Allow them to go ISO to a tired Melo and take a bunch of other bad shots. IT WAS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF HIM!!!!

Papabear Says

NixLuva This is not all Woody. Part him at the begining of the season with him and Dolan bashing Shump. This team can't shoot. thier defense is bad but their offense stink. They can't shoot. I think when Chandler comes back and Amare keeps playing the way he is we might be able to make the playoffs. Why fire Woodson now. We just don't have athletic players who can defend and shoot.

Papabear
CrushAlot
USA
12/14/2013  2:58 AM
Papabear wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:
nycisgreat wrote:I say Woody would probably get let go if we lose tomorrow, and I think we will too. I am not trying to be negative, but I am trying to be a realist. This team hasn't shown any fight from day one.

Thats not really a negative, Woodson is not a championship coach.

It's a negative if you think Woodson and the Knicks were sabotaged with the grunwald firing and keeping Chris on the roster. A lot of funky sh@t has gone on this year. Add injuries and the ridiculously poor play of jr, shump, Felton, and amare for the first 2/3 of this season. What coach can win with minute and game restrictions on their bigs. At this point I am not sure that it matters what happens to Woodson. He never should have fired his agent. Once he showed he would compromise his character to keep his job he has been manipulated and put in compromised positions by the owner.

Crush, don't deflect blame here. Woody had this game in his LAP!!! STAT was 7-9 and clearly the best man on the floor. STAT is your most efficient player and you mean you can't call for post ups for STAT when they haven't stopped him all night? That's not about the players that's F'd up coaching. What else is he on the sidelines for if not to make sure that you go to your best advantage. What does Woody do? Allow them to go ISO to a tired Melo and take a bunch of other bad shots. IT WAS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF HIM!!!!

Papabear Says

NixLuva This is not all Woody. Part him at the begining of the season with him and Dolan bashing Shump. This team can't shoot. thier defense is bad but their offense stink. They can't shoot. I think when Chandler comes back and Amare keeps playing the way he is we might be able to make the playoffs. Why fire Woodson now. We just don't have athletic players who can defend and shoot.

Agree. The last time the Knicks had this record according to Nix the players just weren't listening to what the coach was telling them to do.
smackeddog
Member: #883
12/14/2013  4:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2013  4:44 AM
What a pack of jokers- JR decides to make some point and only shoot 1 shot, claiming he decided he's only set other players up today (don't you think it might be a good idea to tell your coach and other teammates that?!). More iso BS. The same old s***! This team is completely rudderless- how is Woody not fired?! He has no control over them- they just do whatever they want!

So going into Saturday:

No KMart
No Felton
No Tyson
No Amar'e

You're getting NOTHING from Shump or JR. Surely Woody can't survive another blow out?

I noticed Amar'e discreetly called out JR and Shump- when asked about them, he said that when he's struggling he puts more effort into practicing and working out harder.

misterearl
Member: #799
USA
12/14/2013  5:21 AM
guards combine for 3-20, 12 pts.

Total

once a knick always a knick
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/14/2013  6:09 AM
We lost to the Celtics again? LOL
TeamBall
Member: #4386

12/14/2013  9:29 AM
smackeddog wrote:What a pack of jokers- JR decides to make some point and only shoot 1 shot, claiming he decided he's only set other players up today (don't you think it might be a good idea to tell your coach and other teammates that?!). More iso BS. The same old s***! This team is completely rudderless- how is Woody not fired?! He has no control over them- they just do whatever they want!

So going into Saturday:

No KMart
No Felton
No Tyson
No Amar'e

You're getting NOTHING from Shump or JR. Surely Woody can't survive another blow out?

I noticed Amar'e discreetly called out JR and Shump- when asked about them, he said that when he's struggling he puts more effort into practicing and working out harder.

That's because he told them they can. One of the players (I believe it was Bargs) said they can as long as they play defense, which they don't do anyway.
Knicksfan: Hypocrite league that fines players after the game for flopping but in the game and with obvious flopping they call the fouls.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
12/14/2013  9:54 AM
The last 5 minutes of that game, Stat never got a chance to shoot. Melo all the way and the result is a LOSS again.

7-9 for 18 points for STAT yet no shots down the stretch.

Melo 26 points on 23 shots, yep keep shooting!

Bargs 22 points on 22 shots!

Smith is a joke and SHOULD BE BENCHED

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
12/14/2013  10:08 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Interesting stat. The starters, even Shump, were all positives on the +/- stat and the reserves were all well into the negative.

That stat can be misleading.

CrushAlot
USA
12/14/2013  12:41 PM
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Interesting stat. The starters, even Shump, were all positives on the +/- stat and the reserves were all well into the negative.

That stat can be misleading.

In 43 minutes the Knicks got 4 points from their bench other than what Amare did.
smackeddog
Member: #883
12/14/2013  1:23 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:The last 5 minutes of that game, Stat never got a chance to shoot. Melo all the way and the result is a LOSS again.

7-9 for 18 points for STAT yet no shots down the stretch.

Melo 26 points on 23 shots, yep keep shooting!

Bargs 22 points on 22 shots!

Smith is a joke and SHOULD BE BENCHED

I'd play JR for exactly 1 minute in the Hawks game to teach that fool a lesson. You're team is 6-zillion, youre playing against a team that beat you up by 41 points, and you decide to make some sort of petty statement?!

Amar'e hit that clutch shot in the last game, so naturally this baffoon-ladened team decide not to bother giving him any shots down the stretch in this game. It would be nice to have a coach that actually bothered with a plan or strategy in the 4th Q.

Game thread: The Knicks vs Celtic massacre II: Woody Watch

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy