[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Mets sign Curtis Granderson thread
Author Thread
Dagger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4184

12/10/2013  10:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2013  10:58 AM
Can any of you Yankee fans tell me how's been lately? His batting average was horrid last season at .229 and his power will be mitigated playing in a pitcher's stadium. I'm not sold this is a great acquisition, especially with Davis, another high-power, low average guy on the way out. 60 million for 4 years seems to be a bit of an overpay. It's nice to finally have a moderate-level acquisition though. However, we're still nowhere close to the playoffs.
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/10/2013  11:07 AM
Dagger wrote:Can any of you Yankee fans tell me how's been lately? His batting average was horrid last season at .229 and his power will be mitigated playing in a pitcher's stadium. I'm not sold this is a great acquisition, especially with Davis, another high-power, low average guy on the way out. 60 million for 4 years seems to be a bit of an overpay. It's nice to finally have a moderate-level acquisition though. However, we're still nowhere close to the playoffs.

Im a met fan Granderson was hurt most of the yer last year and Chris young came off a sub par year. Both have power obviously something we lack--but they both strike out a LOT. If we put power around Wright--perhaps it will benefit both players.

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/10/2013  11:11 AM
Granderson had a lot of fluke injuries last year. He should still be a good player. I think 3 yrs 45 mil for Beltran was a better deal though.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
12/10/2013  11:28 AM
He will be lucky to hit 20 home runs and bat .250 Yankee stadium played a lot into his production.
Dagger

12/10/2013  11:37 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Dagger wrote:Can any of you Yankee fans tell me how's been lately? His batting average was horrid last season at .229 and his power will be mitigated playing in a pitcher's stadium. I'm not sold this is a great acquisition, especially with Davis, another high-power, low average guy on the way out. 60 million for 4 years seems to be a bit of an overpay. It's nice to finally have a moderate-level acquisition though. However, we're still nowhere close to the playoffs.

Im a met fan Granderson was hurt most of the yer last year and Chris young came off a sub par year. Both have power obviously something we lack--but they both strike out a LOT. If we put power around Wright--perhaps it will benefit both players.

I'm not a fan of the Young signing, he's another guy that constantly strikes out and he registered negative six defensive runs saved last season in the field. A .200 hitter is the last thing we needed.

Dagger

12/10/2013  11:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2013  11:41 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:Granderson had a lot of fluke injuries last year. He should still be a good player. I think 3 yrs 45 mil for Beltran was a better deal though.

Yeah, Beltran still has gas left in the tank offensively, but his defensive range has greatly decreased as he's aged. He used to be a fantastic centerfielder and a speed guy, now he's mainly just valuable for his bat. He'll probably be productive for you guys though, especially in an already loaded line-up..

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/10/2013  11:40 AM
Dagger wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

I'm not a fan of the Young signing, he's another guy that constantly strikes out and he registered negative six defensive runs saved last season in the field. A .200 hitter is the last thing we needed.

We have too many of those.

RIP Crushalot😞
Dagger

12/10/2013  11:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2013  11:43 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Dagger wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

We have too many of those.

Which is why I can't wait to see Ike Davis go. Never bought into the hype with him, shea bridge homerun or not. He does not see the ball well, it was almost comical how badly he struggled to even make contact the first part of last season.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/10/2013  12:16 PM
$15mm a year for Curtis? There is a reason the Yanks let him go.

I watched him a ton. He's a good guy and a very likable player. When he's healthy he's productive. If he plays 150 games (even at Shea) he will get 30/100 and bat in the 280s. the problem with him is despite his production he swings and misses more than any other player I remember in recent years.

He was a big part of the reason the Yanks stunk in the playoffs. We never had guys who could put the ball in play except Cano.

If Curtis is healthy the Mets had a good CF for the next few years. Great range, average arm, not good near the wall but a very good outfielder. He takes walks, and has good speed. His base stealing days are mostly in the past but the wheels are still pretty good. He's a 5-6 hitter IMO. He's not #4 and he strikes out waaaaaay to much to bat 1-3. He (and other Yankees) were such rally killers.

He can get you a 3 run homer, but he cant his a sac fly or grounder to move the runners over.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/10/2013  12:20 PM

He is a quality person, first and foremost. He had two unfortunate injuries in which he was hit on his hand, had to miss a ton of games, came right back and was hit on the same hand.. when healthy good defender, base runner and good power. I hate the Yankees lost him. He will strike out a lot, that is his big weakness.. and I do mean a lot.

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/10/2013  12:21 PM
fishmike wrote:$15mm a year for Curtis? There is a reason the Yanks let him go.

I watched him a ton. He's a good guy and a very likable player. When he's healthy he's productive. If he plays 150 games (even at Shea) he will get 30/100 and bat in the 280s. the problem with him is despite his production he swings and misses more than any other player I remember in recent years.

He was a big part of the reason the Yanks stunk in the playoffs. We never had guys who could put the ball in play except Cano.

If Curtis is healthy the Mets had a good CF for the next few years. Great range, average arm, not good near the wall but a very good outfielder. He takes walks, and has good speed. His base stealing days are mostly in the past but the wheels are still pretty good. He's a 5-6 hitter IMO. He's not #4 and he strikes out waaaaaay to much to bat 1-3. He (and other Yankees) were such rally killers.

He can get you a 3 run homer, but he cant his a sac fly or grounder to move the runners over.

that is a big problem I had with him and batting him high in a lineup, that causes problems with moving runners..

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Finestrg
Member: #1069

12/10/2013  1:19 PM
Vmart wrote:He will be lucky to hit 20 home runs and bat .250 Yankee stadium played a lot into his production.

I disagree. He may not hit 40 but I agree with fishmike -- if he stays healthy, in 550-600 ABs he should produce 30/100. 30 HRs easy, even playing half his games at Citi Field. In his prime, 3-time All-Star, 4th in the MVP voting a few years ago, followed that up with another 40 HR season, good OFer (can play any of the 3 positions), above average arm, speed (still has 25 SB potential). And yeah, personality-wise -- it doesn't get any better -- this is one of the good guys in the game. Articulate, very soft spoken, extremely likable young man. The only thing is the strikeouts -- but last I heard, he was having his eyes checked and had corrective eye surgery performed if I remember right. That should help him greatly--he didn't have a chance to prove it last year. It worked wonders for Bernie Williams years ago, not that Bernie struck out as much as Curtis does but still... In his MVP caliber year, he only whiffed 169 times. That's not terrible...The Yankees traded away Austin Jackson (Detroit's everyday CFer, a good young player who's gotten better every year) and Ian Kennedy (OK maybe he's not the 21-4 pitcher he was a few years ago but he's damn serviceable--better than Phil Hughes imo) in the same deal to get this guy and now have absolutely nothing to show for it. I think that's crazy...About 4-5 years younger than Beltran -- for 1 more year at the same money ($15mm), Granderson is the much better buy if you ask me. I think the Yankees F---ed this up ROYALLY. Mets got a good one here..

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/10/2013  1:38 PM
Granderson won't strike out as much now that he doesn't have the short porch in right staring him in the face. Expect a ton of triples in the gaps
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/10/2013  2:05 PM
I thought his swing got worse and worse as he kept altering it to send more balls over the short porch. It felt like all his homers came with no one on and in low pressure situations
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
12/10/2013  6:40 PM
Finestrg wrote:
Vmart wrote:He will be lucky to hit 20 home runs and bat .250 Yankee stadium played a lot into his production.

I disagree. He may not hit 40 but I agree with fishmike -- if he stays healthy, in 550-600 ABs he should produce 30/100. 30 HRs easy, even playing half his games at Citi Field. In his prime, 3-time All-Star, 4th in the MVP voting a few years ago, followed that up with another 40 HR season, good OFer (can play any of the 3 positions), above average arm, speed (still has 25 SB potential). And yeah, personality-wise -- it doesn't get any better -- this is one of the good guys in the game. Articulate, very soft spoken, extremely likable young man. The only thing is the strikeouts -- but last I heard, he was having his eyes checked and had corrective eye surgery performed if I remember right. That should help him greatly--he didn't have a chance to prove it last year. It worked wonders for Bernie Williams years ago, not that Bernie struck out as much as Curtis does but still... In his MVP caliber year, he only whiffed 169 times. That's not terrible...The Yankees traded away Austin Jackson (Detroit's everyday CFer, a good young player who's gotten better every year) and Ian Kennedy (OK maybe he's not the 21-4 pitcher he was a few years ago but he's damn serviceable--better than Phil Hughes imo) in the same deal to get this guy and now have absolutely nothing to show for it. I think that's crazy...About 4-5 years younger than Beltran -- for 1 more year at the same money ($15mm), Granderson is the much better buy if you ask me. I think the Yankees F---ed this up ROYALLY. Mets got a good one here..

Fish also said he is going to bat .280 that's not happening. Your looking at a .240 19-25hr. Citi Fields is terrible stadium to hit in. When everyone was building band boxes for stadiums the Mets went and built Bush stadium from the 80s.

Just look at Wrights numbers and Jason Bay who fell off the cliff. Wright who was a perennial 25-30 homeruns has been struggling to hit Homers. The stadium is not a homer friendly stadium.

Dagger

12/10/2013  8:24 PM
Vmart wrote:
Finestrg wrote:

Fish also said he is going to bat .280 that's not happening. Your looking at a .240 19-25hr. Citi Fields is terrible stadium to hit in. When everyone was building band boxes for stadiums the Mets went and built Bush stadium from the 80s.

Just look at Wrights numbers and Jason Bay who fell off the cliff. Wright who was a perennial 25-30 homeruns has been struggling to hit Homers. The stadium is not a homer friendly stadium.

I think it's way too pitcher-friendly, it makes the games less exciting. Before they lowered the outfield wall in left field the dimensions were even more ridiculous, only the strongest guys were getting it over because the wall was like 20 feet high. In right field we also have that retarded "moe's corner" area which not only raises the wall but pulls the field out a good 15 feet. Citi Field- where advertising comes before stadium functionality. Every year this park costs Wright at least 5 homeruns, it's sad really. Jason Bay would have sucked regardless though. I've never seen a player so absolutely lost, it's as if he was never a major leaguer once he came here.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/10/2013  8:25 PM
Mike Cameron part 2 for you guys.... the Swamp is jinxed
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/11/2013  9:21 AM
Hey, I'm a Yankees fan that hated watching him strike out as much if not more than ARhoid.

But he's got no chance at all to be your next Jason Bey, right?

Finestrg
Member: #1069

12/11/2013  10:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2013  11:11 AM
Just watching Hot Stove -- the guys on there are saying $60mm over 4 for Granderson is a discount. They also mentioned Mark Teixeira tweeted something to the effect that if Grandy played a full season last year, he would've been a $100mm player. I agree with both points.

The Yankees messed this up. I don't know exactly what he'll do with the Mets with how expansive Citi Field is and all, don't know how many HRs he'll lose there, changing leagues, how many Ks he'll rack up but what I do know is this guy would've hit 40 HRs here in Yankee Stadium, drove in over 100+ and would've defended and made for one hell of an outfield. In a lot of ways this is just as tough to swallow as losing Cano.

I'm really shocked more Yankee fans aren't upset over losing this guy.

OT: Mets sign Curtis Granderson thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy