free agent list for this summer, position per position
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
4/26/2004  7:08 AM
Key
* - Denotes players that have the right to terminate thir contracts after the 2003-2004 season
** - Denotes players that have player options for the 2004-2005 season
*** - Denotes players that are subject to a team option for the 2004-2005 season
---------------------------------------------
Player | Yrs. Played

Position: PG
Restricted:
Arroyo, Carlos 3
Brewer, Jamison 3
Crawford, Jamal 4
Dooling, Keyon 4
Hart, Jason 3
James, Mike 3
Wilks, Mike 3
Williams, Maurice 1

Unrestricted:
Alston, Rafer 5
Anderson, Kenny 13
Barry, Brent 9
Best, Travis 9
Brunson, Rick 8
Coles, Bimbo 14
Drew, Bryce 6
Fisher, Derek*** 8
Hudson, Troy** 7
Hunter, Lindsey 11
Jackson, Mark 17
Johnson, Anthony** 7
Johnson, Avery 16
Jones, Damon 6
Knight, Brevin 7
Lue, Tyronn** 6
Nash, Steve*** 8
Overton, Doug 13
Palacio, Milt** 5
Payton, Gary** 14
Strickland, Rod 16
Van Exel, Nick*** 11
Vaughn, Jacque 7
Ward, Charlie** 10
Whitney, Chris 11
Williams, Shammond 6

Position: SG

Restricted:
Alexander, Courtney 4
Bremer, J.R. 2
Brown, Devin* 2
Frahm, Richie 2
Ginobili, Manu 2
Giricek, Gordan 2
Hassell, Trenton 3
Peterson, Morris 4
Stevenson, DeShawn 4
Trepagnier, Jeff 3

Unrestricted:
Armstrong, Brandon 3
Barry, Jon 12
Bryant, Kobe*** 8
Chaney, Calbert 11
Gill, Kendall 14
Glover, Dion 5
Hardaway, Penny*** 11
Hoiberg, Fred 9
Mercer, Ron 7
Peeler, Anthony** 12
Person, Wesley 10
Smith, Steve 13
Sura, Bob 9

Position: SF

Restricted:
Butler, Rasual 2
Daniels, Marquis 1
Dupree, Ronald 1
Miles, Darius 4
Richardson, Quentin 4
Slay, Tamar 2
Turkoglu, Hedo 4

Unrestricted:
Augmon, Stacey 13
Bowen, Bruce** 9
Butler, Mitchell 10
Cardinal, Brian 4
Curry, Michael 11
Fowlkes, Tremaine 4
Jackson, Stephen** 7
Kukoc, Toni 11
Mills, Chris 11
Murray, Lamond** 11
Padgett, Scott 5
Rodgers, Rodney** 11
Russell, Bryon 11
Sesay, Ansu 5
Sprewell, Latrell*** 13
White, Rodney 3
Williams, Eric 9

Position: PF

Restricted:
Anderson, Chris 3
Archibald, Robert 2
Baxter, Lonny 2
Boozer, Carlos*** 2
Fizer, Marcus 4
Hunter, Brandon* 1
Martin, Kenyon 4
Okur, Mehmet 2
Pachulia, Zaza** 1
Songaila, Darius 1
Swift, Stromile 4
Thomas, Etan 4

Unrestricted:
Bowen, Ryan* 5
Bradley, Michael 3
Camby, Marcus*** 8
Clark, Keon 6
Ekezie, Obinna 5
Grant, Horace 17
Griffin, Eddie 3
Gugliotta, Tom 12
Ham, Darvin 7
Harvey, Donnell 4
Horry, Robert* 12
Malone, Karl** 19
Marks, Sean 5
Massenburg, Tony 12
McCaskill, Amal 7
McDyess, Antonio 9
Pope, Mark 7
Ruffin, Michael 4
Skinner, Brian** 6
Traylor, Robert 6
Trent, Gary 9
Walker, Antoine*** 8
Wallace, John 7
Walker, Samaki 9
Wallace, Rasheed 9

Position: C

Restricted:
Boumtje-Btje, Ruben 3
Collins, Jarron 3
Mihm, Chris 4
Przybilla, Joel 4
Rebraca, Zeljko 3
Tsakalidis, Jake 4
Woods, Loren 3

Unrestricted:
Blount, Corie 11
Blount, Mark** 5
Dampier, Erick* 8
Divac, Vlade 15
Doleac, Michael 6
Foyle, Adonal 7
Hamilton, Zendon 5
Handlogten, Ben 2
Hunter, Steven 3
James, Jerome** 5
Medvedenko,Stanislav 4
Miller, Oliver 10
Ostertag, Greg 9
Polynice, Olden 16
Potapenko, Vitaly*** 8
Rooks, Sean 12
Smith, Jabari 4
Stepania, Vladimir** 6
Williams, Scott 14
Willis, Kevin 19
Zhizhi, Wang* 4

AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/26/2004  8:53 AM
I think the thing that sticks out at that list is Penny has a team option for next year. Is that true? I don't see anything written about it. That's huge.....Regardless I think Penny is a Knick, but if he could take a pay cut that would be even better. Penny is still a very skilled player. He just lost his killer instinct. He's still a very skilled player...very intelligent.

Knicks need Allan Houston insurance. They need a bonified scorer down low. Baker and Nazr showed how easy the game looks when you have guys that can score down low. Knicks need a bonifide low post threat.

And a training camp.....
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
raven
Canada
4/26/2004  9:02 AM
Hardaway has a player option. Check this out : http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/26/2004  10:56 AM
I dont know what Isiah has planned but my one main goal is getting a defensive presence in the post. I would love to trade for Wilcox, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up Frank to acocmplish that.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
4/26/2004  11:13 AM
Whi is Camby not on that list...
I could have sworn he was a free agent this summer.
I could be wrong.. but if he is..
We should try our best to re-acquire him!
Imagine if we had his rebounds, blocks, and D this series.

I miss Camby!
raven
Canada
4/26/2004  11:35 AM
Posted by nyvector16:

Whi is Camby not on that list...
I could have sworn he was a free agent this summer.
I could be wrong.. but if he is..
We should try our best to re-acquire him!
Imagine if we had his rebounds, blocks, and D this series.

I miss Camby!

Camby has a player option next year (http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/denver.htm)

I admit he would've helped us. but candyman can only be used as a 4, and not a 5 cause of his thin frame. I'd also love to bring him back as an energizer. Sad thing is that he had no post game and no jumper.
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
4/26/2004  11:43 AM
Can't argue with that man...
Although he was a monster on the boards and good on D..
His only offense was on Putbacks...
raven
Canada
4/26/2004  11:47 AM
Posted by nyvector16:

His only offense was on Putbacks...

The same putbacks that our dwarf team badly missed.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
4/27/2004  1:23 AM
Whoa... with Marbury on the team playing 40mpg at PG, where will Frank Williams get his minutes if he stays with the team? As much as I like him, he will NEVER have the opportunity to truly shine with the Knicks, unless the Knicks employ some form of gimmicky 2 PG lineup.

Might as well get some value for him while his value is high. If we can grab Wilcox (the Clippers badly need a PG, and Jaric/Dooling aren't quite getting the job done),), it'd be like trading a #25 pick for a #7 pick.

His numbers project to about 15ppg/9rpg over 35/mpg. For his size and athleticism, he's an poor shotblocker and weak steals guy--- makes you think that he doesn't have good anticipation. His 52.1% fg% over his first two seasons is quite nice though-- it doesn't seem as if he tries to do too much.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3606

Of course... where does Sweetney fit in...
Posted by fishmike:

I dont know what Isiah has planned but my one main goal is getting a defensive presence in the post. I would love to trade for Wilcox, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up Frank to acocmplish that.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
technomaster
USA
4/27/2004  1:24 AM
Though... it makes me think--- how about Frank Williams for Marko Jaric?... (Kind of like a Brent Barry-type of player)

Posted by technomaster:

Whoa... with Marbury on the team playing 40mpg at PG, where will Frank Williams get his minutes if he stays with the team? As much as I like him, he will NEVER have the opportunity to truly shine with the Knicks, unless the Knicks employ some form of gimmicky 2 PG lineup.

Might as well get some value for him while his value is high. If we can grab Wilcox (the Clippers badly need a PG, and Jaric/Dooling aren't quite getting the job done),), it'd be like trading a #25 pick for a #7 pick.

His numbers project to about 15ppg/9rpg over 35/mpg. For his size and athleticism, he's an poor shotblocker and weak steals guy--- makes you think that he doesn't have good anticipation. His 52.1% fg% over his first two seasons is quite nice though-- it doesn't seem as if he tries to do too much.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3606

Of course... where does Sweetney fit in...
Posted by fishmike:

raven
Canada
4/27/2004  4:11 AM
Posted by technomaster:

Though... it makes me think--- how about Frank Williams for Marko Jaric?... (Kind of like a Brent Barry-type of player)

I'd rather stay with franck. Jaric has absolutly no d. Frank is tough and has showed he had some guts.

Maybe the deal with wilcox, but we'd have 2 youngs guys at the 4 (sweet & wilcox) and I'm not sure it would be so valuable. Sweet may use another yr of the bench with imporved minutes. Im' not pretty sure that wilcox, if correctly scouted, could post high number during a whole season.
Bizzy211
Member: #601
USA
4/27/2004  2:22 PM
I'd say... Trade Houston and Kurt and Shandon or Williams (hope not) for A High Draft Pick and someone else to even the deal, and Pick up D.Miles = Camby with offense and Q. Richardson = Not as good of a shooter as Allan, but can get hot and gets to the freethrow line.) Try to get a big man to replace Kurt with the draft pick by either trading away the draft pick, or using it. Now, this is very flawed, but I would love to see Q. Richardson on the Knicks next year. As well as D. Miles, but only If we get a descent big man first. Man, being a GM must suck. LOL.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
technomaster
USA
4/29/2004  2:30 AM
The original scouting report (before he set foot on the court as an NBA player) was that he was a very heady player and defender... I don't know how much he's changed over the past 2 seasons...

http://hoopshype.com/players/marko_jaric.htm

As I said, I like FW but he has limited upside on our team. Of course... maybe Q Richardson will somehow decide he wants to be a Knicks and force a trade. :)
Posted by raven:
Posted by technomaster:

I'd rather stay with franck. Jaric has absolutly no d. Frank is tough and has showed he had some guts.

Maybe the deal with wilcox, but we'd have 2 youngs guys at the 4 (sweet & wilcox) and I'm not sure it would be so valuable. Sweet may use another yr of the bench with imporved minutes. Im' not pretty sure that wilcox, if correctly scouted, could post high number during a whole season.
raven
Canada
4/29/2004  7:14 AM
Posted by technomaster:

As I said, I like FW but he has limited upside on our team. Of course... maybe Q Richardson will somehow decide he wants to be a Knicks and force a trade. :)

I would not hang on him either for a good proposal, just i don't think getting jaric would make us any better. that's all.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/29/2004  12:18 PM
you look at that list and you know it's a tough market EVEN for teams with max space. the reason is that most restricted guys get resigned--look at the last few years--the unrestricted market is thin to say the least with quality.

for a 2-3 you are looking at mo pete [ a solid candidate that would be cheap i.e 2m< ]
steven jackson another realistic guy who has proven a lot and would certainly command the full MLE now at a minimum
rodney white[<2mm]

for a 4-5 the only guy i see who can be had for less than an MLE and is unrestricted is keon clark, but hes been hurt and he turned down NY before. but money still talks IMHO3MM<

swift etan Thomas full MLE doubtful chance of signing

Karl Malone?????? he hates isiah but there is a reasonable inquiry there as well as Payton but the chances ar 5/100 for malone .2 for payton

Blount cost full MLE chances 30/100
Ostertag i dont think he fits the model here
Doleac has a chance to comeback
Foyle chance

so if you are asking me Im going after Steven Jackson first on this list because he is unrestricted and the best player on that particular board+ a big need for us.
RIP Crushalot&#128542;
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
4/29/2004  12:24 PM
I agree....Stephen Jackson would be a nice pickup. Tall, Athletic, scorer with an outside shot. Not a liablilty on D. I wonder if he could play the 2 effectively?
Posted by BRIGGS:

so if you are asking me Im going after Steven Jackson first on this list because he is unrestricted and the best player on that particular board+ a big need for us.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/29/2004  12:43 PM
oh yeah he can play both 2-3 there is no doubt in my mind that he would be my number 1 REALISTIC FA guy because
#1 he's unrestricted so no barrier to signing other than the $ + he played in NJ for 2 years so he knows the area
#2 hes proven hes young long athletic big 6-8 and has played on a championship team
#3 multi-dimensional he can slash post and shoot from the outside
#4 can be a terrific defender

to me, thats the guy i would be wasting my time on, not some far-fetched fantasy of a player taking 10-15 mm less to play in NY. Jackson would be the guy i would be aggresive with at 12:01--if not us someone else sure will.
RIP Crushalot&#128542;
fishmike
USA
4/29/2004  1:47 PM
I'm not signing any wing player this offseason for a couple reasons. The first is we dont know the status of Houston. If he comes back you have a FA you just signed your obligated to play. You have Houston, Shandon, Jackson, Penny, Frank, Dermaar?, Moochie and Marbury you have a terrible glut of guard type players and STILL no athleticism in the front court what so ever.

Even if Houston doesnt come back Penny showed he can still be an effective player and Frank also showed he and Marbury play well in the backcourt together. There is a nice ripple effect here also. Bad news is Houston's out, good news if Frank gets minutes and that could be a HUGE piece at the trading deadline.

My first choice is Blount who isnt atlhetic but is a good post defender and hard worker. He would also make Nazr expendable... possibly for a late/mid first rounder we could use to get JRSmith.

The Sheed option is remote but not impossible.

Next guy would be Swift. I'm not even sure he's worth the whole MLE but he's worth the risk on the upside alone. Plus he desperatly fills a need, and in the east could backup PF and C

Next guy would be Chris Anderson. The 15-20 minutes a game he comes off the bench to swat shots and get dunks following Marbury to the rim would be huge for us. Good rebounder and works hard on defense.

As you can see my options 1, 1a, 1b, and 1c are all in the front court.

Going forward we have Nazr, Kurt and Sweetney. Baker, Harrington, Deke or TSki are either unrealible, more of what we already have or gone by the trade deadline.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/29/2004  4:02 PM
I'd work with Chicago hard to get a trade for Crawford. I wouldn't want to use the MLE to sign a SG like Jackson, who I like as a player, unless Houston got checked out and there were serious problems, which I think there are.

I like Okur, Blount, Anderson as my option, as well as Stro Swift. Isiah and Lenny need to decide what type of team they see this as (halfcourt, defensive minded, fast break, etc) and get those players. Theres a big difference between Okur, a shooting C, and Swift, an athletic PF/C who has little offensive game.

Once they decide team strategy, then I'd target players to help get that team they envision.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
USA
4/29/2004  4:08 PM
every year wing players come out of no where, and from the 2nd round or undrafted. Arenas, Redd, this year Marquis Daniels, Josh Howard... I'm not using any assets to get Crawford, I'm just not. Where's he playing now?

I would rather just trade up a little and draft Ricky Paulding.
free agent list for this summer, position per position

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy