[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Knicks Did NOT Just Roll The Ball Out Last Year
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
11/11/2013  1:40 AM
knicks1248 wrote:The first thing that woodson said he would do when he took over from MDA, was to run more ISO's for melo and amare.

Thats woodsons offensive plan, aside from a sprinkle of MDA's double and triple screens, nothing involves penetration. You can't win consistently shooting jump shots, good things happen when you take the ball to the basket and if Woodson isn't preaching that ( and every indication is he isn't) he has to go.

Lets not even get into the switching on DEFENSE, how many times did we see barg guarding parker. One minute your trapping causing havoc playing the passing lanes and getting steals. Then all of a sudden we get lazy and start switching and fouling.. cmon people, ACCOUNTABILITY has gone out the window..

I don't see enough in game adjustments or correction going on. It's like they make the same mistakes play after play and there's no adjustment made. No pulling guys over and getting in their face about poor defensive play.

callmened, the Knicks did start off running much better offense and as the videos displayed they had great spacing, ball and player movement.

Don't forget that Woody battled with JR to get him to drive more to the hole and once he did that started to have a very positive effect on the teams play. It's not like there's no evidence of Woodson looking to get more attacking the basket.

J.R. Smith says driving to the basket has put him on another level and helped him win the Sixth Man Award.

Smith doubled the percentage of shots he took in the restricted area during the winning streak (15.6 percent before March 18; 33 percent in the 13 games following it).

"He went through a phase when he [was] just shooting jump shots and jump shots and finally a green light went off and he started taking the ball to the bucket," Woodson said.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9199154/jr-smith-new-york-knicks-wins-sixth-man-award

Through the first four games of this season, Woodson had made me look like a fool. He has designed an almost entirely new offensive system involving a heavy dose of off-ball screening, pick-and-rolls, post-ups, dribble hand-offs, and rapid, decisive, side-to-side ball movement around the perimeter.

What Woodson has done is tailor an offense to the personnel he has, rather than try to fit that personnel into preconceived roles based on the system he had run during his tenure in Atlanta and last season in New York. The result has been the league’s best offense through this early part of the season, one that has the Knicks sitting at 4-0 as the NBA’s lone remaining undefeated team.

At the center of it all is Carmelo Anthony, who is running fewer isolations and more post-ups than at any point in his career. Felton and Pablo Prigioni are getting copious amounts of pick-and-roll opportunities with Anthony, Tyson Chandler, Kurt Thomas and Rasheed Wallace. JR Smith, Steve Novak and Kidd are coming off screens from every direction and seeing a plethora of open 3-point opportunities. Ronnie Brewer is lurking behind all the action for corner 3′s and cuts to the rim.

http://hoopchalk.com/2012/11/13/mike-woodson-and-the-surprisingly-innovative-knicks-offense/

AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/11/2013  1:49 AM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:The first thing that woodson said he would do when he took over from MDA, was to run more ISO's for melo and amare.

Thats woodsons offensive plan, aside from a sprinkle of MDA's double and triple screens, nothing involves penetration. You can't win consistently shooting jump shots, good things happen when you take the ball to the basket and if Woodson isn't preaching that ( and every indication is he isn't) he has to go.

Lets not even get into the switching on DEFENSE, how many times did we see barg guarding parker. One minute your trapping causing havoc playing the passing lanes and getting steals. Then all of a sudden we get lazy and start switching and fouling.. cmon people, ACCOUNTABILITY has gone out the window..

I don't see enough in game adjustments or correction going on. It's like they make the same mistakes play after play and there's no adjustment made. No pulling guys over and getting in their face about poor defensive play.

callmened, the Knicks did start off running much better offense and as the videos displayed they had great spacing, ball and player movement.

Don't forget that Woody battled with JR to get him to drive more to the hole and once he did that started to have a very positive effect on the teams play. It's not like there's no evidence of Woodson looking to get more attacking the basket.

J.R. Smith says driving to the basket has put him on another level and helped him win the Sixth Man Award.

Smith doubled the percentage of shots he took in the restricted area during the winning streak (15.6 percent before March 18; 33 percent in the 13 games following it).

"He went through a phase when he [was] just shooting jump shots and jump shots and finally a green light went off and he started taking the ball to the bucket," Woodson said.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9199154/jr-smith-new-york-knicks-wins-sixth-man-award

Through the first four games of this season, Woodson had made me look like a fool. He has designed an almost entirely new offensive system involving a heavy dose of off-ball screening, pick-and-rolls, post-ups, dribble hand-offs, and rapid, decisive, side-to-side ball movement around the perimeter.

What Woodson has done is tailor an offense to the personnel he has, rather than try to fit that personnel into preconceived roles based on the system he had run during his tenure in Atlanta and last season in New York. The result has been the league’s best offense through this early part of the season, one that has the Knicks sitting at 4-0 as the NBA’s lone remaining undefeated team.

At the center of it all is Carmelo Anthony, who is running fewer isolations and more post-ups than at any point in his career. Felton and Pablo Prigioni are getting copious amounts of pick-and-roll opportunities with Anthony, Tyson Chandler, Kurt Thomas and Rasheed Wallace. JR Smith, Steve Novak and Kidd are coming off screens from every direction and seeing a plethora of open 3-point opportunities. Ronnie Brewer is lurking behind all the action for corner 3′s and cuts to the rim.

ni
http://hoopchalk.com/2012/11/13/mike-woodson-and-the-surprisingly-innovative-knicks-offense/

nix--lets see how Bargs holds up against Al Horford and Paul Milsap.

RIP Crushalot😞
callmened
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4234

11/11/2013  3:01 AM
knicks1248 wrote:Lets not even get into the switching on DEFENSE, how many times did we see barg guarding parker. One minute your trapping causing havoc playing the passing lanes and getting steals. Then all of a sudden we get lazy and start switching and fouling.. cmon people, ACCOUNTABILITY has gone out the window..

The switching crap is a joke

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
smackeddog
Member: #883
11/11/2013  3:46 AM
I wish it was last season...
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
11/11/2013  6:37 AM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:The Knicks had a gimmick offense last year as well....they didnt run those plays night in and night out.

The difference this year and last is simple.

Nobody is performing above their norm...there is no 50% from 3 shooting Jason Kidd to start november.

No inspired play from Sheed, No Ronnie Brewer early contributions....Even Novak was killing early.

They were blowing teams out early last year with the three ball, now they have guys trying to shoot threes that honestly shouldnt.

Blame the coach...cool...but the team aint that good.

I'm tired of your trope about this team playing gimmick BB last year. You must not have watched all the videos I posted cuz if you did you would see that the team was making use of a LOT more actual BB plays than they have shown so far. We all know that the team had times when they weren't executing and relied on ISO too much, but last year there in fact was a lot of good BB execution.

As for players performing above the norm, this year the issue is too many guys playing BELOW their career avg's. So your claim that the "team aint that good" doesn't hold up if we're getting career norm production from the key players on the team.

The team was winning last year because they were executing at a high level. That leads to great shots and high shooting %. That's not a gimmick. You're the reason I posted the videos to prove that there was TONS of real plays being run, off ball motions, spacing, crisp passing going on. They weren't just winging it out there. They ran Horns, Triple Screens, Scissor hand off plays and mixed in simple screen and curl, give and go etc. There's video evidence of these plays. Last year, according to Synergy, 22% of New York’s plays ended as a result of a pick and roll and 16% were isolations. That leaves 62% of their scoring coming from other means. So you can't be right that it was a gimmick offense. Sure the Knicks took a TON of 3's, but that was the design of the offense and with the ball and player movement it was a good offense. They didn't struggle until they stopped getting that ball and player movement and went even more with ISO plays.

When you get through, they lead the league in threes by a wide margin, whether through a play or through iso...they shot alot of threes...that was their main offense.

When they hit them...they won, when they didnt, they lost.....thats a gimmick.

The main reason why the team doesnt run the scissor play for instance is because no one can really drive into the lane....thats the purpose of it, and now there's no chandler to be a roll amn since no one else is capable....same with the screen plays.

i dont even see why you're upset, you posted videos of the Knicks shooting a ton of threes, everyone knows the knicks were a jump shooting team....thats a gimmick.

And yeah, obviously since they arent playing their norm...they arent that good....most already knew this.

You don't know what you're talking about as unusual. We have practically the same players from last year starting the games. They most certainly could run the Scissor hand off if they wanted. Why should Felton or Shump not be able to drive off those plays as they did last year? It would be good for THJ too and now that JR is back eventually he could do it too.

You think it's easy to just shoot a ton of 3's all season when teams have film on you? It's not like teams just want to LET YOU SHOOT 3's. You have to be doing something right in order to get that many open 3's. That's what i'm trying to show your ignorant ass. If it was so easy to just get off a ton of 3's everyone would do it. You have to be moving defenders in such a way that it opens up those shots. After you hit 5 3's you think defenses will adjust? How about 10 of them? What i'm saying is that there was some good ball and player movement going on. You may not want to acknowledge it, but that's why I posted video to SHOW YOU what they were doing right.

Most teams doubted the Knicks could maintain those threes, thats primarily why they were so open....it's the same reason why the Knicks left green wide open all day....just like Miami did early in the finals.

You really dont understand the sport, teams dont respect gimmicks until forced to.

Lol at you, call me ignorant, but you think this team is good, and all it needs is plays and ball movement....they need talent and smarter players, then once you get that...upgrade the coach.

I dont think I've seen melo doubled like this all last year combined, dude cant even get a shot off now unless it's contested or over two or three defenders....i bet he's still waiting for the "space" bargs supposedly creates.

Thats because teams doubt the Knick can shoot....and so far...they cant.

I gave this team a window of around 50 wins, I might need to readjust and say 50 losses are possible.

So your explanation is that teams just LET the Knicks take open shot after open shot and decided to take their chances? GTFOH. The Knicks shot 37% from 3 last year. That's the dumbest ish i've ever read. This idea that "teams don't respect gimmicks until forced to" is also stupid. When the Knicks went 16-2 to close the season. You think teams just thought it was a "gimmick"? This is some B.S. you're trying to spread here. In fact it wasn't until Woody basically lost his mind in the playoffs and allowed the team to move away from what worked in the regular season, that we had anything negative to say about the Knicks offense. As I said, in the regular season they ran 16% ISO and 22% PnR in the regular season, but in the playoffs, they ran way too much ISO.

In the regular season, Anthony was in isolation on 26 percent of Knicks' plays that ended with a field goal attempt, free throw or turnover from the All-Star. He had a 41.8 field goal percentage on such plays, according to data compiled by ESPN Stats & Information.

In the playoffs, Anthony has been in isolation on 43 percent of plays that end with the ball in his hand and has shot just 31 percent from the floor on those plays.

The iso-heavy offense seemed to hurt the Knicks on Sunday. Anthony was in isolation 49 percent of the time in Game 4. He shot 10-for-35 from the floor.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/42913/iso-melo-amiss-in-postseason

It wasn't that the regular Knicks offense was wrong. It was that they failed to continue running their offense. They needed to run more actual plays that called for more player and ball movement to soften up the defense rather than make the defense better by not forcing them to have to defend anything other than ISO.

Iso's is Woodson game, but he admitted he took D'atnoni's playbook early in the season.

And yes, teams took the Knicks threes for granted, everyone did.

Look at how wide open they were, nobody was guarded, and guys were very much above their norms.

Who on the team now is hitting 50% from three like Kidd? Or a 40% Ronnie brewer? no one.

The team was blowing out opponents by the third quarter on offense, and it was all threes.

To close the season....they played bad teams and teams that were resting, while the Knicks were redlining trying to win a division title.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/11/2013  9:25 AM
Some how It looks like woodson has lack more effort then the players, which is why Dolan may have had a talk with him after the game yestersday..

At one point yesterday his eyes were watery and red, i thought he was going to cry.

Yesterday early in the 2nd qtr, he yank his bench squad (except for JR) and put his starters back in, you know the same line up that dug the hole.

ES
The Knicks Did NOT Just Roll The Ball Out Last Year

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy