[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I like what I saw last night. Looking to this offseason...
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/23/2004  9:48 AM
heck... I even thought we were ok in game 2, both nights we just couldnt score.

Briggs will cry about athleticism till the cows come home but defense can still win games too. What we lack more than anything is a real defender in the post. Ratliff would be perfect for this team, but thats obviously not happening.

I'm not worried about the Houston situation. In fact, if for some reason he really is done forget Shandon, I'm moving Marbury to shooting guard and playing Frank at the PG spot. Both can penetrate make plays and defend bigger players.

No matter what we have to target a defender in the post, and continue to get younger.

I'm desperate to move into the first round, and I'm looking to use Nazr to do it.

If I can somehow package Nazr and one of our #2's for a 14-18 area pick I'm looking to get Kosta Perovic, Rafael Araujo or Robert Swift.

I dont know if we can afford to use our expiring deals to add more payroll, but we have to keep them because you never know. If we do make a trade like that you still have Penny's $14 mill coming off the books the following year, and if TT is here we could resign him for less.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/23/2004  10:21 AM
i heard Isiah cry about athletiscm yesterday pre-game on the radio, so atleast I have someone on my side:>). He's not stupid, but hes going to be restricted in what he can do. Accepting the componenets of this team is accepting losing--which is unacceptable:>)

we were losing by 12-14 points with 10 minutes left, the nets played awful throughout most of the game and still had the opportunity to blow us out by +20. That would be very hard to do to the same team 4 times in a row--something that very rarely happens-- the nets started hot dogging and we started hitting 3s and the game tightened up but the bottom line is we lost again.

When losing is OK-- when someone says ah we were close, we just needed this guy, you're losing sight of the big picture. If you evaluate our total body of work against good teams this year--you can make a fair assessment that this is not a good basketball team. When you watched NJ just destroy us with fastbreak basketball--that assessment gets worse.

The two guys who really kept us in the game with good play were KT and Nazr. What has been particularly scary is Starbury's inability to play well in a big game here. If he plays well last night we win.

I dont know what we are going to do, I kind of wish somethings would happen but i doubt it-although Isiah can be unpredictable.
RIP Crushalot😞
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
4/23/2004  10:30 AM
This Knick team, unlike the Pre-Isiah Knick team has talented players. We can actually get something in return for Nazr, TT or Penny. Especially since Penny will be in the last year.

Once we lose and the playoffs are over. Once the off season starts, can someone start a thread about how much this team changed this year? Isiah came to town 3 months ago and look at what we got now. I just cannot believe the change. WORD!!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
fishmike
USA
4/23/2004  10:37 AM
"When losing is OK-- when someone says ah we were close, we just needed this guy, you're losing sight of the big picture."

Again, Briggs... please take 35 points a game off the Nets roster and tell me the game doesnt change. TT does things in the open court and on the break only a few guys can do.

The short term look for this team was to put 4 guys around Marbury that could score and do different things.

I think you need to wake up a little

35 points a game. Lets say it all together... 35 points a game isnt part of the big picture.

The Nets played poorly because NY got back on defense and Frank did a great job on Kidd.
BRIGGS
4/23/2004  10:48 AM
im sorry but saying TT can only do what a few other players can do is delusional. what has he done in 7 years? i know he has played well in spurts but his history is consistently inconsistent. everything K0mart said about TT was factually correct--his teammatess including ray allen and sam cassell both blasted him, so what does that say? He played most of game 1 and was in there when the score was +20 nets. what did he do other than to score a few points in the first few minutes?

we do miss H2O, but we have 0 guarantee he will EVER be the same player again. Microfracture surgery was the same thing that eventually stopped terrell branden from playing again. how can this team go forward without preparing for the end of H2O 34 years old with injury problems is OLD in the NBA OLD.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
4/23/2004  10:53 AM
why should i praise losing? do you think bill parcells would say that we have done a good job here? how come the heat who had much worse injury problems throughout the year than the knicks--who had half the payroll, ended up with 43 wins and now are 2 and 0 in the playoffs when we were WELL AHEAD of them when we acquired starbury? they deserve the accolades, we need to provide some bonafides.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
4/23/2004  11:36 AM
TT is a very good player, and an excellent offensive player with a reputation for playing big late in games. We have already seen alot of that this year. He's a good scorer from anywhere on the floor. He's an excellent ball handler and a superior athlete. He may be overpayed or a statistical underachiever but the guy can impact games, and he was a big part of why the Bucks almost beat the Nets in the first round last year.

He's not Rodney White... but he's a good player.

Nobody is praising losing, but to say this team isnt moving in a drasticly different direction that it was 5 months ago is equally wrong. We have gotten better, and will continue to get better, both internally and externally.
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
4/23/2004  11:54 AM
Briggs, this team is missing two of its best players. KT is banged up. Marbury is double teamed and collapsed upon every possesion. He played 48 minuts, came with up 18 and 10 despite everything. He is a PG, a true PG, not a scorer like Kobe or Tmac. He needs other people to complement him. That is what makes Marubury better and worse then some other bignames out there. On the one hand he can't do it alone, yet on the other hand given a supportive cast he actually maks so much better. This year Marubry has had 0 opporutunities to play with the team healthy. They have no playbook, they are still using Chaney's motion offense, which sucks. There D has gotten sligthly better, but it also sucks because there is no system. You needa an offseason and a training camp do develop themistry, playbook, and defensvie shemes that best utilize the players. Some of these players arent even gonna be here. KT will most liley be traded. Another big move is almost a certainty with Iseah. So stop whining, this team definetly has a future.

And speaking of draft picks, we only don't have them this year and next. Considering this is one of the worst drafts in years and the fact that next year we'll have even a worse pick, its no big deal. Then in 2 seasons we have your precious 22nd pick of the draft. That will most likley not make a deep talented team that Iseah will have by that time.

There are plenty of possibilites out there. Dallas turns over their entire team every year. They gave up total garbage last offseason. Lafrenz??? A bunch of scrubs and Van Excel for Jamioson???

We'll have a shot at Kobe signe and trade, at Sheed in a variety of ways, (if Pistons loose to the Bucks in the 1st round especially). Ther are lots of rumors about us going after Curry and Crawfard. There are some quality MLE FA's this season that can help the team. If I'm not wrong, Posey was signed for the MLE. Look how wellhe is doing this year. So chill out and enjoy having a real GM as opposided to the joke of a human being we had in Laydumb.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
fishmike
USA
4/23/2004  12:31 PM
I like this draft alot, but these things can only be judged many years down the road. We do have a #1 pick next year however, and 2 #2s this year.

I bet you dollars to donuts we draft someone in the first round this year, whether its prading for a pick or trading for a player's draft rights.
fishmike
USA
4/23/2004  12:32 PM
"Briggs, this team is missing two of its best players. "

Dont bother... remember Houston will never play again and TT isnt any good to begin with.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/23/2004  2:08 PM
as for the offseason, we all know frontcourt athletic help is needed, but another priority is to get a jumpshooting SG as backup and insurance to allan houston. even if houston is healthy, with no jumpshooters off the bench, we still can't spread the floor.
fishmike
USA
4/23/2004  3:13 PM
the xfactor there is Frank. If Frank can play like he did when he won the starting PG role than the extra shooter is Marbury. Heck, if people want to start doubling Steph let Frank be the full time PG and Marbury play off the ball
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/23/2004  3:26 PM
ok but i think we still need a jumpshooter off the bench for the 2nd unit. i don't want to come into the season with only one SG on the roster like layden did after h20's surgery. and we all know shandon is the gobot version of bruce bowen's transformers but even WORSE if that's possible. i would like another pure shooter - a lucious harris type, nothing fancy, just to keep the defense honest in the event h20 does go down.

a backcourt of frank and marbury will probably be decided in training camp, and by then, most free agents will be signed. so if that's what they're thinking, they need to reach that conlcusion as soon as the playoffs are done. with h20 hurt, i think they're leaning the other way and try to bring in a backup "just in case". this of course can be addressed in the draft as well.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/23/2004  4:47 PM
There are a lot of intriguing possibilities out there. I don't think moving Steph to SG is the right thing to do. THere are very few players in the NBA who have the pure PG skills he does. He hasn't been showing it recently, but everyone knows he's got the skills. I'd keep him at the point. The idea of a FW, Steph backcourt is intriguing, a la Snow-Iverson, but I don't think its ultimately the best move.

I would actually look to see if we can get someone like Bonzi Wells from Memphis. They are loaded on the wing right now, and could use a big like KT or Nazr. Bonzi would be someone we could put at SG and someone who could score in a variety of ways.
rojasmas
Member: #639
4/23/2004  9:12 PM
Dont't get me started with Ray Allen and Sam Cassell blasting Tim Thomas. Cassell is an idiot who actually froze Thomas out of games because he was jealous of Thomas's contract. Those Bucks were the most petty, jealous, selfish players to come down the pike in years. So to assess Thomas's career from the days of the big 3 is not fair. Karl misused him, never ran plays for him, promised him the world to resign him, then played him out of position at power forward which really messed his game up. He only started one year with Karl. Michael Hunt also had an article in the Journal Sentinel in Milwaukee where he said Big Dog actually challenged Thomas to a fight in the locker room. So how the hell was he supposed to blossom there? Not to mention you would have to steal the ball from your own teammate to get a shot with Allen, Cassell, and Big Dog. And Thomas was the best player on the Bucks in that playoff series against Indiana where they should have upset Indy except for Cassell fouling out stupidly late. So circumstances can affect your career. Now if he blows it here in NY, then I am with you. He is in a good situation here next year I believe. Steph, Houston and TT make for a good nucleus and Rasheed would be the icing on the cake. Let's hope!
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/24/2004  1:10 PM
What I saw during the last NJ encounter was Knicks without vets, H20 and TT. I can't see NY getting much younger....for some unknown reason NY seems to have more than its fair share of vets.
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
I like what I saw last night. Looking to this offseason...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy