[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

i have seen nothing absolutely nothing that convinces me we shouldnt back up and rebuild
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/21/2004  3:22 PM
"the smartest thing to do is rebuild and make a conscious effort to radically reduce payroll to the point where we see flexibilty in the future."

Again... I'm not disagreeing here, and I have no doubt this will be our course of action, maybe just not right away. That fact is no matter what happenes we are stuck for 3-4 years with a group of overpaid veterans, that arent getting traded for anything besides more of the same.

At this point the logical course of action is aquire a reasonable pick here or there. Maybe Nazr and a #2 for a #1 in the 15-18 range.. something like that. This is not a reach. Then just continue to draft and let the insane contracts killing the payroll go away. Those roles will be replaced by players like Frank, Dermaar, and Sweetney.

If we have a chance to use expiring contracts to get a real stud or elite player we can afford to that because we are MSG. But unless that comes along you can be sure Houston, Shandon, TT, Penny, Deke, Harrington, Moochie either WONT be here or will be signed for a much reduced rate, like Reggie Miller was in Indy.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Stevo718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #559
4/21/2004  3:39 PM
If I had a quarter for every time we had this conversation...

you don't rely solely on picks for your future, if you take a look at the past 10 years drafts, if you take the top 20 picks about 7-9 pan out into regular everyday NBA players that are still playing today. Out of those 9 you average perhaps 3-4 decent role players, 3-5 good players and 2-3 stars/superstars. So in any given year if you have a top 20 pick your odds of landing a STAR/SUPERSTAR are about 10-15%.

So yeah... let's tear EVERYTHING down and if we draft for the next 5 years we'll have a VERY GOOD CHANCE of landing 1 STAR/SUPERSTAR!

BUT, in the meantime let's not sign Marbury cause he's too old (27, in 12 years he'll be 39!!!), hold our breathes for Milos (cause he is DEFINITELY BETTER THEN MARBURY OR KIDD OR PAYTON OR BIBBY OR PARKER...etc) and imagine if we had McDyess, how on earth did we cope with the loss of 22mpg 6.9ppg 6.1rpg?, how bout Magic Lampe? we shall all see the folly of our stupid trade once this guy blossoms(just like Weiss did!) and we can't forget about Weatherspoon and Eisley aka the DYNAMIC DUO.

And I am no accountant but how can you get under the cap when you pay Houston the max and have all these other overpaid players for the next how many years?

I think Isiah made trading look so easy that we all have started to believe that we could and should have gotten "more" or gave up "less". This is all Layden's and fat b*tch Dolan's fault. You don't tear down everything in big market cities you add and take away piece by piece and this is what Isiah is doing.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/21/2004  3:46 PM
carter's cap space only gave them additional room to sign brand which was matched, odom got dignificantly less. carter's contract of 3m had 0 bearing on odom. miami is ahead of us because they have a young athletic core already in place in the playoffs playing at a high level. they dont have the same resources as us, so it's likely they will need to move 1 of jones or grant to continue down the road. They have a nice draft pick which could easily turn into a C. there is a ton of flexibilty in terms of what they can do money wise in sight. they have younger better talent, heck they went through some tough injuries just as bad as any team started 0-7 and ended up in the 4th position while being one of the ytoungest teams in the league.

Id feel good if i liked the heat going forward i think riley GETS IT + their coaching is solid.

please stop with the we are getting kobe and tmac stuff --we arent
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
4/21/2004  4:03 PM
the last time the knicks rebuilt through the draft

ie cartwright ewing wilkins jackson anthony etc.. laid the foundation for 15 years of playoffs--having the ability to win it all any year getting to the 7th game of the finals

it cost us 120MM dollars for that one piece you are talking about. its not a good business model and by the way marbury is signed for 5 more years at the second tier max

no drafting alone is not the whole way you build a team but its a proven fact beyond a shadow of a doubt thats its the best way

people bring up chicago yeha they had it right or atleast on track and they decided themsleves to scrap Elton Brand Ron Artest and Brad Miller they had it right and truly scrwd up. if they had kept their players, they could be the cream of the crop in the east.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
4/21/2004  4:46 PM
so before you write the Knicks off arent you at least a little curios to see what Isiah does with this draft?

As for Miami and cap space sorry but your info is wrong. Carter was $4 mill off the books and that brought Mia from $6 under the cap (barely more than the MLE) to just over $10.
Elton Brand's 03/04 salary $10,955,000
Lamar Odom's 03/04 salary $9,960,000

They missed out on Brand and got the next best player out there. Lucky for them this is the first year Odom has ever been healthy.
jazz74
Member: #371
4/22/2004  8:38 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

the last time the knicks rebuilt through the draft

ie cartwright ewing wilkins jackson anthony etc.. laid the foundation for 15 years of playoffs--having the ability to win it all any year getting to the 7th game of the finals

it cost us 120MM dollars for that one piece you are talking about. its not a good business model and by the way marbury is signed for 5 more years at the second tier max

no drafting alone is not the whole way you build a team but its a proven fact beyond a shadow of a doubt thats its the best way

people bring up chicago yeha they had it right or atleast on track and they decided themsleves to scrap Elton Brand Ron Artest and Brad Miller they had it right and truly scrwd up. if they had kept their players, they could be the cream of the crop in the east.

we can bring up chicago, clippers, hawks and grizzles ( how many years past before they made the playoffs?). the fact remains that rebuilding is a MAJOR risk especially if we have peices already to compete in the future. what do you want, briggs? trade marbury and if we are lucky stink for only 5 more years? when you said yourself all we need is an athletic big man and a slashing two guard. health is also a big issue. you complain about tim thomas but i would rather have him than half of the starting small forwards in the league because he is young and athletic, traits that you covet, briggs. i can not understand the change in attitude because of a playoff series.
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
4/22/2004  9:06 AM
"I don't care about Vujanic. OK, that's beside the point."

I could care less if Knicks fans don't care about him, but I am concerned that IT didn't care about him. He is going to be a very good player. He was included as a "throw in" in that deal. Had he not been thrown in, it may have been a fair trade.

You can't tell me that we've won any of these deals IT has made.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/22/2004  9:18 AM
Posted by NYKDUNK:

"I don't care about Vujanic. OK, that's beside the point."

I could care less if Knicks fans don't care about him, but I am concerned that IT didn't care about him. He is going to be a very good player. He was included as a "throw in" in that deal. Had he not been thrown in, it may have been a fair trade.

You can't tell me that we've won any of these deals IT has made.

KVH/Doleac for TT/Nazr?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BRIGGS
4/22/2004  9:41 AM
If I have the ability to use marbury and my ending contracts to get into position to draft josh smith+ jr smith, i will build my franchise around those two players concentrating on the frontline over the next two years. We still have more than enough players and talent to make the playoffs in the east OR bad enough if the world tumbles in that we can get into high lottery position for a big man. what really opened my eyes was being there in person and viewing just how fast NJ was compared to us--it was alarming --it looked like duke vs. davidson. Can we add a good enough big man and workout the problems we have at 2G back up PG back up 3 the problems at 4 no real C within a reasonable timeframe? I dont think it's plausible.

Is there risk building around two high school players--hel yeah just ask the bulls, BUT this is different in that we are talking athletes on the wings who have multiple skill sets A1+--vince carter type of athletiscm and good bodies. Knick fans would see right away what im talking about and even if we lose the first couple of years--which is all right by me--weve endured losing for awhile--i can be patient.
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/22/2004  11:41 AM
It is funny how a lot of guys in here have picked apart Briggs and his crazy argument and yet he still continues without addressing their issues, but I will add my 2 cents..

Briggs. first of all you act as if steph who just turned 27 is old. do you know how old Kidd was when the nets got him? he was 28 going on 29 soon, and the nets were talking about building around him. Heck even the sonics were still talking about building around payton when he was 32, so please cut it out with the picks and HS crap. Great PG's are at a premium, and when you can get one.. GET HIM.. now as far as the rebuilding goes, let me ask you, have you seen josh smith or Dwight Howard play? I have, I live in Atlanta and have seen Howard play, and let me tell you, He is no where as good as chris bosh is, and I still think bosh needed another year of college!!! At least... do you think the bulls are happy with the development of Curry and chandler? huh? right now they are looking at mid level veterans in return for chandler.... The NBA is a mans league, you win with guys who are ready to play in this league, not guys who may be good 4 years down the road... this is a forula for futility!!!!! I don't see why anyone would wish for the pre-Trade knicks, that team was dead in the water, if you think that having Steph, TT, Frankie, Sweetney,Dermarr, Nazr, is not a good core of guys to build around and use as trade bait(with the exception of steph) then you are nuts... All I keep hearing briggs is this rebuilding crap, but you not given a realistic argument to support that....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
fishmike
USA
4/22/2004  12:10 PM
Marbury is the wrong guy to get into the first round. Thats why we traded for TT and Nazr as far as I'm concerned.

Paxson has said repeatedly he needs to add veterans and add maturity. They also need a SF, especially one that can score. If they DONT win the lottery and OK4 or Howard and are stuck at 3-4 they would strongly consider a deal for Robinson, Jerome and their #1 for TT.

Utah is another that needs bodies and has multiple #1s. They have 4 players under contract for next year, and its not exactly a FA hotbed (wiping the floor with Malone's jersey didnt help).

Adding two HS kids to a losing team with a bunch of overpaid veterans is a good way to ruin your fanbase, your prospects and the value of every player you have.

Please... think your posts through, and save me your "I am 99.9% convinced we have no options" response
BRIGGS
4/22/2004  12:38 PM
ill try to explain it again slowly

we have no post player
we are a slow older team
our other core player is 34 and could be washed up by injury and if nothing else is going to be on the serious downside regression due to aging and injury combination
we have been absolutely destroyed by a team that wasnt even playing well, has no good post players and we have been embarrassed and outclassed
stephon marbury IS NOT a franchise player that can carry a team, he's not even a franchise player IMHO hes a great player--but clearly he is not even in the same league as guys like duncan kobe etc.. hes a tier below those guys
the only way to straighten this ship as formulated is to bring in a franchise type big man and i dont think we have a chance to do it.
this team isnt going to work even with tweaking because its beyond that

this is NOT even a playoff caliber team those who keep confusing the dismal east and our 39 wins as acheivment are kidding themselves

we have no style of play when i went to NJ this was evident very clear from the stands NO style of play very slow way to much isolation

guess what? the players we have arent going to get any faster jump any higher or really get any better for the most part this summer

you say we just need to put the right guys around marbury--number 1 marbury is NOT jason kidd hes not even close IMHO jason kid is more like a point forward because he can rebound like a big SF+ he's much faster with the ball marbury is more of a smallish 2G who plays the point and dribbles way to much

how are we going to put talent like RJ kenyone martin and kittles around Marbury in the next few years--answer we cant and we wont.

my conclusion is we reckognize this NOW, that we have tried to avoid rebuilding and its failed. the answer is to formulate a rebuilding plan, a new style of play and aggresively pursue it. this shouldve been done 5 years ago--the nuggets were bad for a couple of year and now have carmelo anthony for the next 15 years
we have to bite the bullet we have to be real the bottom line is we need to start over unless you can figure out a way to get a franchise big man very quickly.

any which way you look at it its going to take years to fix, but at the end of the day IF we go young we will still be young when we blossom again---by the time this team gets good IF ever it will be close toa rebuilding cycle again.
RIP Crushalot😞
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

4/22/2004  12:59 PM
this is not a team. nor a city that can "rebuild"... Isiah is doing a fantastic job at "rebuilding" look at how much he has rebuilt since laydon we here.. plus hes not done.. relax... im happy as hell we have marbury.. hes the best player we've had since ewing u wont be happy untill we have garnett or duncan guess what those players dont come along very often i have faith in Isiah you should too look what hes done so far

GO KNICKS LONG LIVE STARBURY :)
BRIGGS
4/22/2004  2:40 PM
[ what has he done? he has spent 140mm$ that is 140mmm dollars and given up multiple assets and we still are so far from being good its scary. i guess at 140mm dollars a year to buy players we could be contenders with a 225 mm $ payroll+ a 175mm $ luxury tax payment. good business model-- at this rate spike will be paying 10 grand a game to see 44 wins in 3 years.

you see this was done, cooked the last stand at the ok corral was lost when mcdyess 's knee popped in the exhibition season.

man i must be watching a different channel or i mustve missed the meadowlands and landed some place else. please help me here we arent playing the wash wizards any more--we arent finishing with 20 games against tanking opponents. deal with the reality that more than likely h20 will never be the same and look at what we have on the court oops there goes kenyon flying over the 30mm $ extension man KT again for a facial slam oops there goes another 3 on 1 break for a lay up watch the games son and tell me if it is not worthy of smoking the whole gig and starting new. marbury for 3 clank dikembe gets another shot blocked by a 6 footer how much more evidence do you need to know we are a dead team? we made the playoffs because we outspent the other brutal eastern teams by double thats it bottom line
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
4/22/2004  3:35 PM
we outspent every team because LAyden payed 3x what every player on his roster was worth. You cant just dump salary here. All you did was point out obvious flaws with no constructive solution for fixing them. Under Layden we were bad enough to get a #7 and #9 pick. Thank god we got Sweetney out of that.

Putting HS kids in a losing environment is an NBA blueprint of what NOT to do.

Stop saying Houston is done. Its getting old. Its a bone bruise. It needs time. ITs not a 3x reconstruction surgery. He didnt even re-injure it, he got hurt again in a collision.

The Knicks have assets as well as holes. We need a real post defender, and we need a real wing defender. Sweetney will be a nice post scorer. Thats easy to remember because you reminded us of that 3x a day before the last draft.

I dont think your as patient as you say... not for one minute. What happens if you blow your wad, get your 2 HS kids and they are the next Tyson Chandler and Deshawn Stevenson? Its been 3 years. Are you matching offers? Are you extending them?

Sorry.. no team had ever made your plan work, many teams have turned over older rosters over 2-3 years and came back strong.

Look at what Indy did. Look at what Portland is doing.. we could go on all day but your reply is always the same. "But we are bad and have no post player."
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/22/2004  4:17 PM
Briggs, can you offer some solutions?? Saying to trade in the lotto to get JR Smith and Josh Smith is like saying "Well if only the Knicks could get Duncan and Garnett." We've been through how they've traded most of their pieces away, what are you going to give up? Othella Harrington? Come on.

You and the lottery, man. Did you ever realize there are guys who come out of college and DON'T make an impact in the pros. Not everything has to be torn down. We know the Knicks aren't as good as the Nets and we all know they spend "140mm$ that is 140mmm dollars". Who cares what the number is? Let Dolan pay the luxury tax, I hate the guy anyway.

YOUNG GUYS: Marbury, TThomas, Sweetney, Johnson, Williams, Mohammed.

Out of those guys, I'd say you could easily move all but Marbury.

What was in the NY Post a few weeks ago? How the Bulls want to deal Eddy Curry and Jamal Crawford for guys with work ethic and what not. Why is that not feasible to say theres a chance they trade for Curry or Crawford or both, and they have a resurgence in NY. Did you see the Marbury trade coming? Neither did I.

Things will be done. Clearly Isiah has a plan for rebuilding after acquiring a bunch of younger players, but his stubborn boss wants him to make the playoffs every year, so he's being forced to do that as well, if he didn't, he'd get fired.

You want rebuilding, my god I can't imagine what you'd be like with that. What happens when Josh Smith gets abused by Bruce Bowen and shoots 0 for 10? Trade him? Cut him? Rebuild all over again? What about when JR Smith goes up for a dunk and gets blocked by Ben Wallace? Wheres that athleticism now? Do you trade him?

What if you are Dallas in 98 and take Tractor Traylor over Dirk or Paul Pierce? What about Philly in 97, who passed on McGrady? Or the handful of teams who didn't take Kobe.

Not every single lotto pick, though I'm sure you'll refute this, becomes Michael Jordan.

What do the Knicks do with Allan Houston tied up until 07, Penny til 06, Marbury til 09, TThomas til 06, Anderson til 98, Kurt till god konws when with his new contract, Mohammed til 06, and Norris til 07. You can't rebuild man, I'm sorry. You can't rebuild in the way you want to, when you have SEVEN big contracts on your payroll. Rebuilding is done in three ways: trades, FA signings, and the draft. Dolan, from a sheer money perspective which you care so much about, can not have all that invested and not make the playoffs. So they make the playoffs and get bad draft positions. Since they're over the cap FA signings are essentially out of the question, barring a possible MLE like Stro Swift. So you're left with trades.

You can't go to the draft at this point. Five years ago, before they traded Ewing, was the time. Let his contract run out, let a few others run out, they'd have money to sign FAs and they'd be in the lotto for a few years. Unfortunately they traded for Glen Rice, and turned that into Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley. Unfortuanately Clarence Weatherspoon was signed, etc. But at this point, with 7 big contracts, you can't start from scratch. Nobody will take those contracts, and you can't rebuild. That's just the way it is.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
USA
4/22/2004  4:34 PM
Blazers and Pacers are the teams Knicks need to take a page from. I'm really not that worried.. excited actually.
BRIGGS
4/22/2004  4:38 PM
let me start off by stating once again I havent seen a player with josh smith's talent and athletiscm package since dominique wilkins. JR is not Josh, but he also shows elite athletiscm--BUT with skill sets i.e the ability to really shoot the ball--the ability to get to the basket of the dribble and finish over anyone. I go back and look at players like gerald wallace deshaun stevenson who had similar athletic prowless--but not built solidly like JR--but they dont have the shooting ability that he has now at 18 years old. Not even close---this kid made a mockery of the 3 point contest blowing away everyone, then brought into the games with a beautiful fundamental stroke and a great deal of strength behind the jumper. Josh to me is the same caliber of athlete as amare but from the 3 spot.

it's a blueprint of building a team based on elite athletiscm combined with fundamental skills and these two kids are both tough hombres, these guys are NO eddie curry's.

Im willing to trade the boat here marbury sweetney ending contracts whatever it takes and begin the foundation from there. Next year we begin to piece together the 4-5 with the goal of having real solid and size in the frontcourt, It can be done this organization can do it and every single knick fan would be better off if we did. Its going to take biting a bullet-weve already spent the money so its already done. If you can tell me we are getting Tim Duncan to go along with what we have then stay pat--otherwise rebuild it from the ground up.

For those who think getting starbury is rebuilding no it's not--hes been on 4 teams already hes gone through 2 ankle surgeries--thats not rebuilding--retreads like nazr TT vin baker is NOT rebuilding it's called band aid patch work and it does not work
RIP Crushalot😞
OldFan
Member: #446
4/22/2004  4:39 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

ill try to explain it again slowly

we have no post player
we are a slow older team
our other core player is 34 and could be washed up by injury and if nothing else is going to be on the serious downside regression due to aging and injury combination
we have been absolutely destroyed by a team that wasnt even playing well, has no good post players and we have been embarrassed and outclassed
stephon marbury IS NOT a franchise player that can carry a team, he's not even a franchise player IMHO hes a great player--but clearly he is not even in the same league as guys like duncan kobe etc.. hes a tier below those guys
the only way to straighten this ship as formulated is to bring in a franchise type big man and i dont think we have a chance to do it.
this team isnt going to work even with tweaking because its beyond that

this is NOT even a playoff caliber team those who keep confusing the dismal east and our 39 wins as acheivment are kidding themselves

we have no style of play when i went to NJ this was evident very clear from the stands NO style of play very slow way to much isolation

guess what? the players we have arent going to get any faster jump any higher or really get any better for the most part this summer

you say we just need to put the right guys around marbury--number 1 marbury is NOT jason kidd hes not even close IMHO jason kid is more like a point forward because he can rebound like a big SF+ he's much faster with the ball marbury is more of a smallish 2G who plays the point and dribbles way to much

how are we going to put talent like RJ kenyone martin and kittles around Marbury in the next few years--answer we cant and we wont.

my conclusion is we reckognize this NOW, that we have tried to avoid rebuilding and its failed. the answer is to formulate a rebuilding plan, a new style of play and aggresively pursue it. this shouldve been done 5 years ago--the nuggets were bad for a couple of year and now have carmelo anthony for the next 15 years
we have to bite the bullet we have to be real the bottom line is we need to start over unless you can figure out a way to get a franchise big man very quickly.

any which way you look at it its going to take years to fix, but at the end of the day IF we go young we will still be young when we blossom again---by the time this team gets good IF ever it will be close toa rebuilding cycle again.

I don't really think we can judge the Knicks based on this year. Virtually the entire team has been turned over and you have a new coach and GM. Teams that win take a while to come together.

I agree Marbury is not an elite player but he has the potential to be.

Post players are getting more and more difficult to get. Big men take longer to develope and players are getting drafted younger and younger - so it takes a lot of luck to do it thru the draft.

How do you propose backup anyway? It's not that easy to get rid of contracts.

My take is let's see what we have next year and judge from there.

(PS - THE nuggets were bad for a COUPLE of years>- the nuggets have never done anything and they still haven't. Let's see them win a couple of playoff series before we use them as an example.)
fishmike
USA
4/22/2004  4:47 PM
it's a blueprint of building a team based on elite athletiscm combined with fundamental skills and these two kids are both tough hombres, these guys are NO eddie curry's.

Which has worked for who? The only team I can think of that worked for was Chi with Jordan and Pippen and those two were college superstars, not HS kids.

If Nazr is traded for a draft pick are we rebuilding then?

You have no way of knowing if he's just another Deshawn Stevenson who averaged 25 points, 10 rebs, 7 assists, 3 blocks and could play PG or SG. He dominated the McD game and has a 40' vert leap. Hey.. maybe he yet puts it together yet. How do you know Josh Smith wants to lift weights? How do you know he's not the next Dermaar Johnson?

Oh wait.. because you have seen him and he's the best since Wilkins.
i have seen nothing absolutely nothing that convinces me we shouldnt back up and rebuild

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy