[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

fratello
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
4/18/2004  7:20 PM
anyone wish he were the knicks coach instead of lenny?
AUTOADVERT
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
4/18/2004  7:28 PM
Posted by Caseloads:

anyone wish he were the knicks coach instead of lenny?

hell yeah!
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/18/2004  7:53 PM
I said since his name was first mentioned that he'd be the better choice. He might be boring, but he gets high effort and defense from his players, and would have had control the pace of the game the way Houston did vs. LA yesterday.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
4/18/2004  7:55 PM
Yeah, I wish that myself. Lenny needs to go. As I have said before, we do have competent guys on our bench right now that can better coach this team.
The true Knickabocker..........
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/18/2004  8:04 PM
I had hoped for frettello instead of Wilkens, but seriously, has Wilkens been really that bad? Case, why?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
4/18/2004  8:30 PM
Posted by martin:

I had hoped for frettello instead of Wilkens, but seriously, has Wilkens been really that bad? Case, why?

I had hoped the opposite based on Wilkens accomplishments over his career, but I was wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it. A good coach would have had us in the 4 or 5 seed going into these playoffs.Since his early hot streak, Wilkens has been AWFUL. Flat first quarters are usually an indication of the coach and flat first quarters have now become a signature of this Knicks team. Couple that lack of motivation he gives his team with his mindboggling rotations, and you get a employee that needs to be fired.
Caseloads
Member: #41
4/18/2004  8:42 PM
Posted by martin:

players are usually a reflection of their coaches. fratello, intense, defense oriented, heavy handed, well prepared, demands excellence, and makes things happen.

wilkens might be the man, but seems to be too lax...

i'm not behind the scenes or anything, but these are the appearances portrayed.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/18/2004  8:48 PM
I think Frateelo would have been nice but Wilkens is decent and did a good job getting the Knicks to the playoffs. The problem with the Knicks is they have to stop the show case and put KT and Anderson where they belong and thats the bench.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/18/2004  8:53 PM
I don't know. I am unconvinced that Fratello would have done any better with this group of player than Wilkens has.

Remember, Isiah has told us he has a plan. And the plan centers around Marbury and developing him into a super all-star. Does Fratello or Wilkens do that better?

In the short term - this year especially - Fratello MAY have been a better choice. But who cares, it's not like the Knicks were going to go far into the playoffs. Do you think JVG or Fratello would have played FWill or Sweets or DerMarr? Doubt it. Wilkens did. Do you think Fratello would have let Isiah bring in Aguire and the other developemnet coaches? No.

Fratello is more defensive minded. So what. Does that mean he would have played Deke more? What's he going to do with this group of guys. Nothing more than Wilkens. I'll grant you he may have won a game or 2 more in the regular season and one more in the playofss. Who cares. Developing Marb and the rest is more important.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/18/2004  10:57 PM
Good post Martin.

Lenny is 66yrs old, His shelf time is limited. So even if you hate Lenny, relax, he's not going to be coaching this team for a long time. He is a good interim guy for now, he seems liked by the players, he is a teacher, he treats the players with respect and he nurtures the youngsters and vets egos alike.

You don't necessarily want lenny leading you into the Finals, but the knicks aren't built to be a Finals team yet. Next year will be very telling.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
4/19/2004  4:29 AM
Posted by martin:

I don't know. I am unconvinced that Fratello would have done any better with this group of player than Wilkens has.

Remember, Isiah has told us he has a plan. And the plan centers around Marbury and developing him into a super all-star. Does Fratello or Wilkens do that better?

In the short term - this year especially - Fratello MAY have been a better choice. But who cares, it's not like the Knicks were going to go far into the playoffs. Do you think JVG or Fratello would have played FWill or Sweets or DerMarr? Doubt it. Wilkens did. Do you think Fratello would have let Isiah bring in Aguire and the other developemnet coaches? No.

Fratello is more defensive minded. So what. Does that mean he would have played Deke more? What's he going to do with this group of guys. Nothing more than Wilkens. I'll grant you he may have won a game or 2 more in the regular season and one more in the playofss. Who cares. Developing Marb and the rest is more important.

Good point. I've never liked lenny, but there is a lot of sense in what you said.

You always have to take the good with the bad.

[Edited by - raven on 04/19/2004 04:29:59]
fratello

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy