[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Starting Penny at the 1
Author Thread
spreeeewell
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #436
4/18/2004  2:34 PM
This just may work.Listening to John Starks interview on MSG, he suggested that we move Marburry to the 2 spot and start either Penny or Frank at the 1.... 1-Penny/FRank 2-Marburry/Anderson 3-T.Thomas/Dermarr 4-Sweetney/K.Thomas/Baker 5-Nazr/Mutombo/baker.
I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/18/2004  2:39 PM
No...Unless Penny can somehow control the pace it makes no difference. Marbury is not guarding Kidd anyway. You cannot take the ball away from the hands from the only guy on the Knicks who has the potential to really control the game and dictate the way its played. He came up way short yesterday, but he is still our only chance. Our hopes rest completely on Starbury.

I may consider Frank over Shandon in the starting lineup though. (With Penny at 3 if Tim is out).

[Edited by - VDesai on 04/18/2004 14:39:49]
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/18/2004  7:14 PM
The Knicks need to get Kurt out of there. He is a liability in this series Martin will run him off the court. If the Knicks can sit Deke down against quick centers then I don't see any reason the KNicks need to keep KT against the likes of Martin who is simple the polar opposite of KT. Kt looks like he has his feet bolted to the ground against Martin.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
4/18/2004  7:43 PM
You fans or the fake ones, just can't seems to understand the problems that we are facing. The Knicks starters besides Marburry and TT are not capable of putting points on the board, as a result, our team is always behind scorring wise. Understand one thing, in this game they call basketball, if you can't stop people and can't score on them, your chances at winning are very slim. You get it?????? I hope so, because some of you really want to make Lenny look like a genious. Anderson and Kurt combined last night shot for 3/16, how can you score points from that?

Posted by VDesai:

No...Unless Penny can somehow control the pace it makes no difference. Marbury is not guarding Kidd anyway. You cannot take the ball away from the hands from the only guy on the Knicks who has the potential to really control the game and dictate the way its played. He came up way short yesterday, but he is still our only chance. Our hopes rest completely on Starbury.

I may consider Frank over Shandon in the starting lineup though. (With Penny at 3 if Tim is out).

The true Knickabocker..........
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/18/2004  7:56 PM
I honestly don't understand what you're talking about, and what your post has to do with mine. Obviously you have to score more points than your opponent to win. I have made several posts today and other days arguing to start Penny and Sweetney over Shandon and Kurt. THe only point I was making here was that I don't want to put Marbury at the 2, because I think he's the only one on our team that can dictate the pace of the game and we need the ball in his hands so that he can make plays.
Posted by diderotn:

You fans or the fake ones, just can't seems to understand the problems that we are facing. The Knicks starters besides Marburry and TT are not capable of putting points on the board, as a result, our team is always behind scorring wise. Understand one thing, in this game they call basketball, if you can't stop people and can't score on them, your chances at winning are very slim. You get it?????? I hope so, because some of you really want to make Lenny look like a genious. Anderson and Kurt combined last night shot for 3/16, how can you score points from that?

Posted by VDesai:

kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/18/2004  10:39 PM
Knicks' Marbury to Handle the Ball Less
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: April 18, 2004

Filed at 6:11 p.m. ET

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) -- After reviewing Stephon Marbury's double-zero performance in the second half of Game 1, the New York Knicks have decided to take the ball out of his hands.

New York's point guard will now spend more time as a shooting guard, with the ballhandling duties to fall to someone else.

``When Penny (Hardaway)'s in there, definitely. We have great confidence that he can handle it, and we can run Steph off some screens instead of him always handling it,'' coach Lenny Wilkens said Sunday.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/19/2004  1:10 AM
I like that strategy. I just hope Shandon has zero touches. That would be an even bigger strategy.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/19/2004  6:25 AM
what i would do is move hardaway to 2 and have both guys take turns bringing the ball up. against the nets i would start

C-deke 7-2 260
PF Nazr 6-10 250
SF D Johnson 6-9 200 [while TT is out]
SG Hardaway 6-7 215
PG Marbury 6-2 200

play a 2-3 zone primarily the entire game, run on opportunity fast breaks or controlled breaks otherwise on offense really use the shot clock and ball movement every time down. this will slow down the game and force NJ into taking many more outside shots than they want. the only real good shooter is kittles so he can be shadowed a bit in the zone. this was a defsne that we used when we beat minnesota early in the year at minnesota. this caters to the size of dikembe and his ability to shut off the rim and to slow the overall pace of the game down. if we try to run we will lose every game by double digits. if we slow the game down,use better ball movement and force NJ to take many more outside shots instead of fast breaking shots -then we have a chance.
RIP Crushalot😞
diderotn
USA
4/19/2004  7:40 AM
I don't understand that strategy at all. Lenny still doesn't know what the problems are with the Knicks. He is always making adjustments at the wrong spots. The point guard position is fine, it is the SG and PF position that have been hurting us. Why not remove Anderson and Kurt out of the starting lineup??? If that doesn't work, try something else. Damn, Lenny is a freaking genious.

Posted by BRIGGS:

what i would do is move hardaway to 2 and have both guys take turns bringing the ball up. against the nets i would start

C-deke 7-2 260
PF Nazr 6-10 250
SG Hardaway 6-7 215
PG Marbury 6-2 200

play a 2-3 zone primarily the entire game, run on opportunity fast breaks or controlled breaks otherwise on offense really use the shot clock and ball movement every time down. this will slow down the game and force NJ into taking many more outside shots than they want. the only real good shooter is kittles so he can be shadowed a bit in the zone. this was a defsne that we used when we beat minnesota early in the year at minnesota. this caters to the size of dikembe and his ability to shut off the rim and to slow the overall pace of the game down. if we try to run we will lose every game by double digits. if we slow the game down,use better ball movement and force NJ to take many more outside shots instead of fast breaking shots -then we have a chance.
diderotn
USA
4/19/2004  2:03 PM
Frankly, that is a great starting lineup IMO. The question is this, can Lenny comprehend with that easy concept????

Posted by OldFan:
Posted by diderotn:

I don't understand that strategy at all. Lenny still doesn't know what the problems are with the Knicks. He is always making adjustments at the wrong spots. The point guard position is fine, it is the SG and PF position that have been hurting us. Why not remove Anderson and Kurt out of the starting lineup??? If that doesn't work, try something else. Damn, Lenny is a freaking genious.

Posted by BRIGGS:

C-deke 7-2 260
PF Nazr 6-10 250
SG Hardaway 6-7 215
PG Marbury 6-2 200

OldFan
Member: #446
4/19/2004  2:15 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by BRIGGS:

C-deke 7-2 260
PF Nazr 6-10 250
SG Hardaway 6-7 215
PG Marbury 6-2 200

The problem is Damar is the worst defensive option available and Sweeney is not nearly athletic enough to stop KT. If the Knicks had options that were obviously better I could see your complaint but they don't. The lineup you're proposing had better do a hell of a job shooting and rebounding because that's even slower then the lineup they've been playing and Damar is awful on defense (Yes much worse the Anderson)
diderotn
USA
4/19/2004  2:27 PM
You must have not been watching the same games that I have watched. Dude! Anderson is not a defender, that boy got beat by everyone that he has guarded so far. Worst of all, he is not even scorring. You can't have liability in both areas. With Demarr we at least know that he can shoot the basket, that alone can make life much easier for Marburry. Sweetney has been a beast, he scores and rebounded the ball much better than Kurt. Let's not also forget that he runs the floor better. You may want to go back and watch a couple of the games.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/19/2004  2:39 PM
beautifully said
diderotn
USA
4/19/2004  2:54 PM
It seems to me that some of these fans just don't understand the game of basketball at all. I tell you one thing, I am not willing to accept the garbage that Lenny is exhibiting on the court. As I have said countless times, it is one thing if we didn't have the talents to do a much better job, but we do. Humiliation is not sweet, and we have humiliated twice by the Nets so far. If Lenny was to have just a little character, he would have looked above and beyound for an answer to our problems. The fact that he is looking for a bandage to mask our problems is troublesome to me. All he has to do is concentrate at the least productive positions. Stop messing with Marb's position, because he can't shoot the ball for Kurt and Anderson, He can't guard their men, he can't improve talents that they don't have, he can simply pass them the ball.

Posted by gunsnewing:

beautifully said
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/19/2004  3:02 PM
Posted by diderotn:

It seems to me that some of these fans just don't understand the game of basketball at all. I tell you one thing, I am not willing to accept the garbage that Lenny is exhibiting on the court. As I have said countless times, it is one thing if we didn't have the talents to do a much better job, but we do. Humiliation is not sweet, and we have humiliated twice by the Nets so far. If Lenny was to have just a little character, he would have looked above and beyound for an answer to our problems. The fact that he is looking for a bandage to mask our problems is troublesome to me. All he has to do is concentrate at the least productive positions. Stop messing with Marb's position, because he can't shoot the ball for Kurt and Anderson, He can't guard their men, he can't improve talents that they don't have, he can simply pass them the ball.

Posted by gunsnewing:

beautifully said

Knicks may be without their starting SF and don't have a good enough SG. What do you do? Who starts and who comes off the bench for SG, PG and SF?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Starting Penny at the 1

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy