[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

quick impression from being there
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/18/2004  2:23 PM
team A is much faster than team B and seems as if their goal is to get to the hoop every play. the speed of the teams is very evident

team a is coordinated on both sides of the ball team b is not way to much isolation on offense

not 1 player stood out to me on the knicks during this game mike sweetney's put back jam was nice, best play of game for knicks

i knew this game was over in thie first few minutes regardless of score anyone who watched the game very close at the arena that NJ is just so much faster almost like watching duke play someone like st johns. st johns may stay with them for a few minutes but the team speed and athletiscm is way to much

going to the game opened my eyes even more to why we shouldve rebuilt the team NJ is a younger faster team. i dont see how we will get players to overtake them. the players we have are slow and play pourous D. It says a lot that we want to rely so heavily on 33 Penny hardaway who seemed to me looked like the knicks best player after the first Q and we cry about 33 YO H2O

guess what those guys are OLD for the NBA we will NEVER win with those guys EVER.

this team does not resemble anything close to a knicks team in the past--it was the nets laying the smack down like oakley did. we dont have a good roster, we might have some good players but this is not a good team and wont be agood team. watching this game, i dont know how the knicks will win even 1 theyll be lucky to keep a game close. NJ is just to fast and many of their shots are right at the rim. i saw kerry kittles jump over marburys head for an alley oop like marbury was a shrimp.
we paid WAY to much for marbury, we still need to rebuild this team we took the WRONG route in what we did and I cant stress it enough. i thought this wasnt going to workout now i know that barring miracle moves with the guys we have, were not even CLOSE to teams like NJ indiana and detroit complete different level and this is after taking on 150mm in salaries. this business plan is a bad one--we need high draft picks and good mle purchases
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
4/18/2004  2:30 PM
Dolan is just happy that the Knicks are in the Playoffs. I, for one, wanted the team to rebuild also due to the fact that they needed to get younger, but when they traded away the first round draft pick, I had to root for them to make the playoffs, as did a lot of other people. We had no choice. Make the playoffs or don't and suffer a non-first round draft pick.

Isiah said that we're not going to win this year necessarily. The Knicks were not a playoff team. They might not even get out of the first round, but they are in the playoffs. That was the first step. If you expected the Knicks to be elite or a great team, then you're mistaken. If you watch the games in the season, the Knicks were sporadic. Maybe the Knicks can beat the Nets at their game and find a secret weapon...or maybe not. We have to see. It's been one game and all I see is people saying, "We suck", etc. We do not suck. We just do not have any other star players like Marbury. We have role players, but not SOLID contributors.

A key to this series is Kurt Thomas. He needs to get his act together. He needed to start scoring because this is sad with the way he is playing. It really is horrible. So my advice is hang in there man. It really does suck and I am depressed too, but let's just see what happens.
BRIGGS
4/18/2004  2:35 PM
lucky we are in the east or i would say lucky if we made the playoffs for the next 5 years. this team isnt winning this year--well i wouldnt go to far out on a limb with that prediction maybe we can show a good game--this team isnt winning jack--wholesale changes are needed. if we happen to go down 4-0 with 4 blowouts to me that is utter failure for the year absolute utter failure because all you proved is you can get an older team with a huge payroll to play 48 ball over 82 and get slaughtered by superior teams in the playoffs. whoopdde doo.
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
4/18/2004  3:23 PM
"I cant stress it enough." Believe me, you do stress it enough.

The Knicks went cold in the second half, the Nets were on fire.

To say its all over becuase the Knicks have a few old players is ridiculous. Penny is old, Shandon stinks.

We've already been over the way garbage like Nazr and Kurt can be parlayed into younger, athletic, talented players like Curry, Crawford, Murray, etc.

You can't rebuild a team in one year. It's a work in progress. Johnson showed me signs yesterday he can play. Give him an offseason, the guy broke his next 12 months ago, he'll get stronger and better defensively and we'll have an athletic and long SF, your wet dream.

Sweetney has shown he's a rebound machine and is developing offensive moves. Only bad coaching (not letting him play over Kurt Thomas, who in the last 3 months has lost his jumper and his defense) is holding him back.

Marbury played 81 games this year; Kidd played 67. His body is breaking down. To compare the two is ridiculous. Kidd's surrounded by All Stars and Olympians. I only see ex-All Stars and ex-Olympians on the Knicks squad.

"guess what those guys are OLD for the NBA we will NEVER win with those guys EVER." Karl Malone is 40, Payton's 38, Shaq is in his 30s. They'll roll over everybody this year. Becuase the Knicks have old players doesn't mean they'll never win championship ever again.

So stop complaining about all of this, I get upset reading all of this propoganda about how the Knicks should've rebuilt. They are better then they were in the beginning of the season and they are better than they were last year. I believe in progress, not going backwards. To say they won't get better because they have old guys on their team when they have such pieces as an athletic, 22YO swingman, a beast downlow who is 23, a top NBA PG who is 28, a fiery PG backup who is 23 is stupid.

Yeah, the Nets are better. You've tried to make it that becuase the Nets are better, the Knicks shouldn't've traded for Marbury and they should've rebuilt. They are in the playoffs!!!!!

And the Nets aren't going to the win the Finals, heck, they might not win the East. When are they going to rebuild? I don't hear Rod Thorn saying "OK, we are clearly not as good as any Western Conference team. Trade Jason, trade Richard, trade Kenyon."

Didn't your mother ever tell you that patience is virtue? Relax man, it takes a while. It took the Knicks several years to get pieces around Ewing; a few years to get Pippen next to Jordan; Karl Malone and John Stockton ran the best pick-and-roll ever for 18 years, they won no titles. I never heard anybody calling for them to be rebuilt. Please calm down.
#Knickstaps
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/18/2004  4:43 PM
New York was heading to the playoffs regardless of adding Starbury to the pot. IMO, Chaney's coaching was for contract and the weak east was a shoe-in playoff spot. Thats OK, getting rid of Chaney, Lenny was a real impact this year.
If you wanna rebuild just so we can look like the Clipps/GSW or Bulls, no thanks......we still lack expertise in another department.
Too bad Utah with Stockton and Malone, failed to take it to the next level.
New York has a new motto? " Relax, it takes a while"......hmmmmm

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/18/2004  4:59 PM
are u forgetting about that Houston game that Chaney coached and the whole Knick orginization was embarrassed by Sprewell because of Chaney's stupidiness? or benching Ward at the start of the season when he was playing great only to try to get Howard Eisely going who couldn't even play ahead of Barbosa in PHX? if Chaney was coach he would've found a way for us to finished in 9th place.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 04/18/2004 17:01:35]
BRIGGS
4/18/2004  6:12 PM
i didnt matter what the score of the game was, nj was clearly the faster quicker more athletic better team that played within a system. NY is built helter skelter. patience yeah patience is going to be a word we will all know because we arent even in the same hemisphere as the 90 knicks and comparing stephon marbury to patrick ewing is ludicrous. we already have a 100mm$ payroll that goes up next year without any moves. any of us can hope that we will be able to trade younger, but it will be very tough and likely only acheivable if dolan takes more money back. yeah we will have patience all right because we tried to retool on the run, not rebuild and in the NBA big mistakes will follow you for years. to me the number 1 considertaion to building the team right is to get the salary structure under control. then you find a GM who wants a certain style of play and can bring in the coach and the players to implememnt. everything we did was with blindiung speed--hiring wilkens trading for marbury trading spoon without paying attention to the small detail. Playoffs? so what--teams make the playoffs and can falter right back out. winning 39 games with a 100mm $ payroll is not an acheivement. i really truly have no idea where we are going with this and how we are going to get there. we probably needed someone in between laydumb and isiah, but we have to give isiah time and the benefit of the doubt for 2 more years. if we are winning 35-40 games for the next two and havent put together players around marbury [which will be difficult] its called failure.

if i was calling the shots i would trade ANY player including Marbury if i could acquire josh smith and Arajuo and get high draft picks for the next 2 years.
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/18/2004  8:50 PM
I agree with you Briggs, give Isiah two more years to implement what he wants on this franchise. Then we live with the Marbury trade.

NO WAY Chaney gets this squad to the playoffs. He was lost.

Stockton and Malone took it to the next level, sometimes great players get in the way of great teams (so I guess that's what greatness is.)

I'm all for Araujo and Smith.
#Knickstaps
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
4/19/2004  3:19 AM
last year we stunk it up bigtime without any real chance for a playoff run.... If we had only tanked the season.. we could have had someone like Carmelo... or a shot at someone like him anyways...
Oh well... one can dream I suppose..
The days of thinking about tanking seasons is over...

Look at how Solid Camby has been on that team...
Yeah he was hurt alot... but I think that had alot to do with how much we needed him to put out to put us on top.
Poor guy had to rely on Kurt Thomas for help... and our depth at the 4 and 5 was pathetic. I wish we could have kept him.

If nothing else... This season was productive in that we got rid of Layden... the guy really screwed this team for all the years he was at the helm. Chaney is an afterthought.. as he was gonna be gone the second we had a shot at a winning season. I hate the he played Houston so much, and also gave Sweetney and Williams nowhere near the playing time they really should have gotten early on.

Not only did we rid ourselves of this terrible management..
We got a great young PG... we are solid at the 1...

I for one.. regardless of how many games we win or lose in these playoffs... will consider this a succesful season for the Knicks team as a whole.

[Edited by - nyvector16 on 04/19/2004 03:21:13]
quick impression from being there

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy