[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

On Cope
Author Thread
nykshaknbake
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #492
7/4/2013  2:45 PM
Since we aren't going to be signing a PG of any consequence I hope we can retain him. No D, but serviceable on O and a good 3 pt shooter. Far more versatile than Novak. As an added bonus according to some he is the Pacer's kryptonite.
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/4/2013  2:48 PM
I would love to have him back but with Bargnani in the mix and Smith back it's not as big of a concern.
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

7/4/2013  3:01 PM
I like Cope a lot. I'm glad he's on the verge of getting paid -- either he stays or goes somewhere else (prob. somewhere else). Seems like a good, humble dude. Piad his dues and then some and now it's time to get rewarded. Good for him, man. Probably would get even more money if Woody would've trusted him a little more and given him more PT.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/4/2013  3:29 PM
Not gonna cry. over rated streak shooter who had decent moves but laterally slow.

Happy he was a knick and made the NBA.

Lets put our hope on CJ making a big impact and cry when we can't re-up him.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/4/2013  4:39 PM
Woody can't stand the guy. Cope gonna take his talents elsewhere. Better defensive player than Novak 10x. Woody unnecessarily put Cope in the dog house. It had nothing to do with defense Novak doesn't even play any yet he got run on a more consistent basis. I'm not happy about losing Cope he is the best three point shooter they have.
tj23
Member: #3119

7/4/2013  4:40 PM
My problem isn't so much losing Copeland( i like him) but it's losing him for nothing with no replacement. We need shooters!! That's what our offense is built around.
helloharv
Member: #4139

7/4/2013  7:25 PM
Best Case is we sign Cope with that 1.7 mini and then Brand accepts the Vet Min
Finestrg
Member: #1069

7/4/2013  7:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/4/2013  7:46 PM
tj23 wrote:My problem isn't so much losing Copeland( i like him) but it's losing him for nothing with no replacement. We need shooters!! That's what our offense is built around.

Well we didn't lose him yet.. Anyone know what kind of offers he's been receiving? Ballpark...Anything concrete on the table yet or even being speculated? All I've heard is interest. Interested to see what the market is for Copeland -- doesn't even look like there is one yet.

Question also -- I'm pretty sure the answer's no but can you combine a vet minimum salary AND the remaining amount we have left on the mini-MLE in one offer for a player?

I dunno man -- starting to feel bringing Copeland back makes a lot of sense now, more than signing Brand or Martin. Look at the situation -- (A) Cope and Pablo have GREAT chemistry and we just retained Priggy. (B) Copeland's 6'8" 230. He's got enough size to play 4 and I actually thought he played his best defensive trying to cover other 4s (even 5s at times) in the post rather than trying to chase 3s around out high. Guarding the post is where Cope belongs on the defensive end. He has a fighting chance down there and actually does a fine job with it. Having him guard the post more (or exclusively) won't make him look like such a defensive liability. (C) We probably could replace (maybe duplicate is a better word) what Martin or Brand would give us production-wise in a part-time role with much younger players -- Jamelle Hagins, Trevor Mbakwe? Save money this way too. Cope's 3-pt shooting would be much harder to replace.

As of right now -- I'd offer Aaron Brooks the most I could, whatever we have left (unless we could just get him for his vet minimum -- not sure which is less and not sure what Brooks' market value even is right now). If he rejects the offer, a sensible plan B would be to resign Copeland and then target a young/minimum salary PG and PF. I get the feeling Jerome Jordan's already unofficially signed up to backup Chandler in the middle which won't be terrible.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/4/2013  7:45 PM
Still don't know why Copeland wasn't getting PT in the playoffs considering how we were doing at the time, and we don't know if that will change under Woodson if he comes back.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/4/2013  11:38 PM
Bargnani has the potential to make up for the loss of Cope and do him a few better. The rest of the roster is pretty similar.
tj23
Member: #3119

7/5/2013  5:32 AM
Copeland defended alright in the post but he was a terrible help defender. He has to guard 3's.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/5/2013  9:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/5/2013  2:01 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Still don't know why Copeland wasn't getting PT in the playoffs considering how we were doing at the time, and we don't know if that will change under Woodson if he comes back.

The opposing coach asked the same question and now the Pacers are trying to sign him whats that tell u. Vogel knew Copeland could hurt them but Woodson didnt play him

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/5/2013  9:54 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Still don't know why Copeland wasn't getting PT in the playoffs considering how we were doing at the time, and we don't know if that will change under Woodson if he comes back.

The opposing coach asked the same question and now the Pacers are trying to sign him whats that tell u. Vogel new Copeland could hurt them but Woodson didnt play him

Tells me they appreciate Cope more than Woodson does, apparently. I hope we bring him back just as long as Cope isn't buried on the bench when we need him. If not, I'd rather free up the roster spot for someone else who will get the minutes.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
7/5/2013  11:44 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I agree we shouldnt overpay for Copeland. However you acnt compare Copeland to Novak. Novak was a one trick pony who the league figured out by teh time the 2012 playoffs came around. Copeland is more versatile. He can shoot the 3 he can play inside and even his defense got better

Skill wise no, Novak was a better shooter while cope was a little more diverse. But you can compare them as 28/29 year old players who have a very offensive oriented skill set that are looking to cash in on very good one year performances. We made that mistake with overpaying Novak. I bet Novak and how he turned out is playing very heavily into how we approach Copeland.

I mean really, what is Cope's ceiling? Personally, I see him as maybe the level as Kinda like Antwan Jamison is, kinda like real a tall Ben Gordon.

~You can't run from who you are.~
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/5/2013  11:54 AM
Likely he's gone- I think Shawne Williams can replace him. Ironically I think Cope will be this years Shawne Williams, get slightly overpaid and crash and burn. Ideally he signs $3-$4 mil per year with a team under the cap so we can trade him for a trade exemption. We can then trade that for a player with 1 or 2 years on their contract- it would help out a lot.

Don't want to see him going to the Pacers.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
7/5/2013  1:05 PM
smackeddog wrote:Likely he's gone- I think Shawne Williams can replace him. Ironically I think Cope will be this years Shawne Williams, get slightly overpaid and crash and burn. Ideally he signs $3-$4 mil per year with a team under the cap so we can trade him for a trade exemption. We can then trade that for a player with 1 or 2 years on their contract- it would help out a lot.

I agree. Holy Crap moment....Shawne Williams Birthday, Feb 16, 1986 (27). Copeland's birthday, March 17, 1984 (29). Shawne is actually 2 years younger.

~You can't run from who you are.~
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/5/2013  1:35 PM
joec32033 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Likely he's gone- I think Shawne Williams can replace him. Ironically I think Cope will be this years Shawne Williams, get slightly overpaid and crash and burn. Ideally he signs $3-$4 mil per year with a team under the cap so we can trade him for a trade exemption. We can then trade that for a player with 1 or 2 years on their contract- it would help out a lot.

I agree. Holy Crap moment....Shawne Williams Birthday, Feb 16, 1986 (27). Copeland's birthday, March 17, 1984 (29). Shawne is actually 2 years younger.

Shawne Williams seems way older then that

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
7/5/2013  2:00 PM

Don't we need to have the available to space (or the rights) to actually sign him for $3M-4M before we could complete a sign and trade?
I'm not a huge fan of Cope. He had a handful of nice games, and eclipsed Novak in usefulness off the bench, but still not a smart defender, and always felt out of control on offense when driving the lane.

Seemed like a good guy, and I hope he cashes in on the year he had, but I won't be sad to see him move on.

joec32033 wrote:I agree. Holy Crap moment....Shawne Williams Birthday, Feb 16, 1986 (27). Copeland's birthday, March 17, 1984 (29). Shawne is actually 2 years younger.

Holy crap is right! I'd welcome Shawne back for the minimum happily, and that was when I was under the impression he had to be hovering around 30.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/5/2013  2:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/5/2013  2:03 PM
smackeddog wrote:Likely he's gone- I think Shawne Williams can replace him. Ironically I think Cope will be this years Shawne Williams, get slightly overpaid and crash and burn.

What I'm thinking...

VCoug
Member: #1406

7/5/2013  2:52 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
joec32033 wrote:

Shawne Williams seems way older then that

Drugs'll do that to you.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
On Cope

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy