[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

In Defense of Shandon
Author Thread
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
4/16/2004  2:01 PM
First off, I can't believe I'm writing this post. Anderson is my least favorite Knick, with the possible exceptions of OT and Moochie, and they're not on playoff roster.

Still, we're making him into too much of a scapegoat in this forum.

He's got three major flaws. 1. He can't shoot. 2. He doesn't know he can't shoot. 3. He plays much better when starting than coming off the bench but still isn't good enough to start when everyone's healthy.

If it were just the first one, he'd be ok. But sometimes he seems to think he's the #1 or #2 option. Then I'm throwing crap at the TV. When we run our offense well only to get him an open 3 that he'll inevitably brick, I've got to question what Lenny's thinking. As for 3., don't really understand it. He played well off the bench in Utah. It's got to be mental, and he's got to figure out how to change it, because he'll never be anything more than a spot starter again in the NBA.

But ... Shandon does run the floor well and play well in transition ... as well as anyone on the team other than Steph (to take nothing away from TT, who finishes better, but Shandon gets out on the break better). Shandon also plays pretty good defense, although I think he's overated on D. And, he plays hard and with heart. If he lets the game come to him and understands his role, he won't hurt us vs. the Nets.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/16/2004  2:17 PM
I wonder what everyone's opinion of Anderson would be if he was a rookie making the $1M dollar range.

Shandon is made for coming off the bench but finds himself in the starting SG slot because of an injury to Houston. Wilkens needs a spark/leadership off the bench at the SG/SF position and Penny fills that spot better than Anderson (and maybe that's why Penny does not start).

Who else is there left from Wilkens to start? DerMarr? NJ would eat him alive at the SF/SG stop. Frank? Backup PG. So, Anderson starts. And we howl.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/16/2004  2:42 PM
I still don't see why Penny can't start and bring Demarr and Frank off the bench. There is absolutely no reason for Shandon to play. I'm sure the only reason is so that they can showcase this bum, but they are gonna have to buy him out cos no one in their right mind would want him when you can get a guy like him for less than 1mil dollars. he's being paid 8million!!!!!!

Give Penny a lot of minutes 35-40. Give Demarr about 10-15 and play Steph at SG and Frank at PG for a bit too. Our rotation is too long because of Shandon Anderson! No reason to play him whatsoever!
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

4/16/2004  2:48 PM
"I still don't see why Penny can't start and bring Demarr and Frank off the bench. There is absolutely no reason for Shandon to play."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/16/2004  3:23 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Give Penny a lot of minutes 35-40. Give Demarr about 10-15 and play Steph at SG and Frank at PG for a bit too. Our rotation is too long because of Shandon Anderson! No reason to play him whatsoever!

Duh....
I don't even have to post anything.

Shandon runs the floor well and he finishes well when he drives to the basket. The thing is he forces alot of plays and at major parts of games. He's stupid....simple as that.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nadavshomron
Member: #623
Israel
4/16/2004  5:43 PM
shandon is a nice nba role player and that is that ,he is a good defender runs the floor well and with alan out he will do more as a starter than a sub.
we need a spark off the bench (penny,sweet,deke or vin) and thats why penny come off the bench,he will get more minutes in the playoffs.
i dont see fw getting a lot of minutes (steph 42-48,penny 30-40) anyway.
let me remind you that shandon had some realy good games this season with 30+ pt so he is not that bad!
LJ FOR 4!!!!
gunsnewing
USA
4/16/2004  6:01 PM
what!!! Shandon - 30pts games!

Shandon career high is like 22! and for all the years he's been on the league he's only gone over 20 it problably 3 times.
nadavshomron
Member: #623
Israel
4/16/2004  6:38 PM
forgive me
he has season high 28pt vs. boston a 26 pt vs the lakers and some more very good game when he started.
you may not like him but he had some very good games as a knick he is a better player when he starts.
and his alltime high is 35 2 times!
LJ FOR 4!!!!
OldFan
Member: #446
4/16/2004  6:39 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

what!!! Shandon - 30pts games!

Shandon career high is like 22! and for all the years he's been on the league he's only gone over 20 it problably 3 times.

Shandon is not that bad. He actually went 20 or over 4 times this year with a high of 28. He makes a lot of bonehead plays but his assist to turnover ratio is better then Houstons, TTs, Motumbos and Mohammads and it's significantly better then Demars - so he's hardly the only or even the worst source of turnovers on the team.

I like Demar and hope he can contribute a lot during the playoffs - but his defense is a huge liability. If Houston is out Shandon should and will play.
gunsnewing
USA
4/16/2004  9:39 PM
are un counting how many blown layups at crucial times in the game? Or how many bricked 3's?

He's definitely in the 30 per game mark in those aspects.
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
4/16/2004  10:31 PM
I like Shandon for one reason...he plays defense. He is still our best perimeter defender and is a guy that really ought to guard the opponents best guard. I'd start him over Penny for that reason. You all need to remember that if Houston was healthy, this problem doesn't occur. If Houston was healthy, Shandon would really bolster our bench. I am dumbfounded by some of his decision making at times, but this guy always gives an honest effort, and I like him for that reason.

[Edited by - nykdunk on 04/16/2004 22:31:37]
morebetter
Member: #635
USA
4/17/2004  1:26 AM
i have got to weigh in on this topic. i don't see andersen playing for many other teams in this league unless it's a team like atlanta.he has no game that any gm would go out and persue. a shooting guard that can't shoot. a so called guard period that can not dribble. a pro basketball player that cannot decipher situations fast enough to make intelligent decisions. i have to agree with the previous poster that wondered how plays could be run that results in this clown with the ball for a 3 three point shot. he will either miss badly or try to force a drive to the basket:like he can sky like Dr. J. and get a turnover or luckily get fouled. him and moochie are good for wasting much time on the shot clock and then having to take panic shots with 3 seconds left on the clock. what i am hoping this playoff experience gains for us is a fair assessment of our talent. i think the othella's and kurts have to be winnowed out and go whole hog for players like corey maggette and jamaal crawford,i even believe a guy like baron davis may be interested in a ny run. these are guys that are talented as all hell but are not going to reach the big time where they are. since we will never get my man spree back let's go for the next best things and stop being pretenders
MaseInYourFace
Member: #546
Canada
4/17/2004  3:05 AM
You forgot a huge problem with shandumb,which is how dumb he is. if he was as bad a shooter as he is, and at least had some bball brains, he'd be decent. but he's not and makes dumb plays every time hes in in

Posted by bernard:

First off, I can't believe I'm writing this post. Anderson is my least favorite Knick, with the possible exceptions of OT and Moochie, and they're not on playoff roster.

Still, we're making him into too much of a scapegoat in this forum.

He's got three major flaws. 1. He can't shoot. 2. He doesn't know he can't shoot. 3. He plays much better when starting than coming off the bench but still isn't good enough to start when everyone's healthy.

If it were just the first one, he'd be ok. But sometimes he seems to think he's the #1 or #2 option. Then I'm throwing crap at the TV. When we run our offense well only to get him an open 3 that he'll inevitably brick, I've got to question what Lenny's thinking. As for 3., don't really understand it. He played well off the bench in Utah. It's got to be mental, and he's got to figure out how to change it, because he'll never be anything more than a spot starter again in the NBA.

But ... Shandon does run the floor well and play well in transition ... as well as anyone on the team other than Steph (to take nothing away from TT, who finishes better, but Shandon gets out on the break better). Shandon also plays pretty good defense, although I think he's overated on D. And, he plays hard and with heart. If he lets the game come to him and understands his role, he won't hurt us vs. the Nets.
Yes! - Marv Albert
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/17/2004  12:51 PM
I cringe everytime Shandon takes a medium range jumoshot. It takes him forever to shoot it too, like he's doing complex physics in his head. His shots always hit rim and rarely go in. The funny thing is, i'd rather see him take 3pt shots than 15 foot jumpshots. He can actually hit an NBA three pointer.

Imagine if we had Bruce Bowen instead of Shandon Anderson? Better defense, better three point shooting... less money.. a LOT less money.

Here's the reason I don't want Shandon bought out. We still NEED a backup for Allan Houston next year. So let's keep for 2004-5, and if we hold onto him for another season after that one (I know I know, 2 more seasons of Shamdumb) then his 8million dollar salary becomes the best trading chip the Knicks will own in the 2006 season.

It seems like a ways away, but two more years of Shandon is worth it for that 8 million dollar ending salary in 2006. Think of it as Layden's last gift to the team.

The worst thing to do is to buy him out. Shandon is llike a bad internet stock right now. The worst thing to do is sell when the value is so much lower than what you paid for him.

I still don't forgive Layden for buying out Travis Knight because had Isiah still had Knight, Rasheed Wallace could very easily be a NYKnick right now.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
bernard
Member: #475
4/17/2004  2:58 PM
I laughed out loud at "doing complex physics in his head." That's very funny, and true. You're right, also, that we can't buy him out. I'd trade him and take on an extra year or two for a better player, but otherwise, we just have to suffer with him until his expiring salary makes him worth close to what he's paid. And in the meantime, hope enough other players step up and get healthier so his minutes go down.
gunsnewing
USA
4/17/2004  3:45 PM
"Imagine if we had Bruce Bowen instead of Shandon Anderson? Better defense, better three point shooting... less money.. a LOT less money."

That is exactly what I was thinking.

In Defense of Shandon

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy