Page 1 of 2  1  2 Next
Topic LOCKED
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
4/15/2004  2:59 AM
I guess I'll start it since nobody else has.

Game 1 -- 4/17 -- NY @ NJ -- 4:30 PM on ESPN
Game 2 -- 4/20 -- NY @ NJ -- 8 PM on TNT
Game 3 -- 4/22 -- NJ @ NY -- 7 PM on TNT
Game 4 -- 4/25 -- NJ @ NY -- 7 PM on TNT
Game 5 -- 4/28 -- NY @ NJ -- TBD
Game 6 -- 5/1 -- NJ @ NY -- TBD
Game 7 -- 5/3 -- NY @ NJ -- TBD

Positional Breakdown:
PG: Jason Kidd and Zoran Planinic vs Stephon Marbury and Moochie Norris
In my opinion, the series depends on this matchup. If Kidd is hobbled and Marbury can shoot over 42%, the Knicks will have a better than average shot to beat the Nets. The Knicks have to stop Kidd on the fast break as well.
SG: Lucious Harris, Kerry Kittles, and Brandon Armstrong vs Shandon Anderson and Penny Hardaway
All three are very good shooters for the Nets. Penny's all-around talent and playoff experience will be valuable to the Knicks. Anderson's "known" for his defense (I just shuddered at the thought of Shandon Anderson playing playoff basketball), so hopefully he can at least make these two shooters work to get their shot off. The ball should be kept out of Anderson's hands AT ALL TIMES. If the Knicks can push this series and get Allan Houston back, they'll have a chance.
SF: Richard Jefferson and Brian Scalabrine vs Tim Thomas and DerMarr Johnson
Jefferson caught fire when Kidd and KMart sat down. He's great on the fast break and has recently shown flashes of creating his own shot in the halfcourt. Super-athletic, Tim Thomas needs to step up. Also, with Houston probably out, Thomas needs to up his scoring average to the high teens. He's the second option, and he needs to produce in a big way. He was born in NJ, he should be a key contributor in the Knicks offense. DerMarr has come along recently, and is a sleeper in the series. If he gets in one the second unit against the unathletic redhead (Scalabrine), he might be able to do some work. Unfortuantely, Johnson is horrific on defense.
PF and C: Kenyon Martin, Rodney Rogers and Aaron Williams vs Kurt Thomas, Mike Sweetney, Nazr Mohammed, Vin Baker, and Dikembe Mutumbo
The Knicks depth on the front line gives the Knicks a chance to compete in this series. KMart is dangerous on both sides of the ball, but he's been hobbled by injuries. The Knicks should key in on their post depth and run various fresh defenders on KMart, as he's a superior athlete to all of the Knicks big men. Sweetney needs to establish himself and get time. If Sweetney can develop (a la Zach Randolph last year), the Knicks will get a chance. With their depth up front they must dominate the boards and limit the Nets' fast break.

Knicks utilize their depth in the frontcourt and outrebound the Nets, taking away their fast break for the most part. The Knicks homecourt advantage essentially in all seven games also helps, as do the hobbled Kidd and KMart. Houston comes back late in the series for some heroics. Knicks in 7.

Please add your thoughts.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 04/15/2004 03:02:03]
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
4/15/2004  3:31 AM
I was hoping for a series with Detroit...

Good player assessment, smooth.

Knicks need to stay close and play four quarters of defense.

Jersey is going to come out running ... I don't think game one will be close. They're the 2-time defending east champs for a reason. They run their Princeton offense very well, with or without Kidd, and they have plenty of 3 point shooters to spread the floor.

Knicks need to steal this one or Tuesday's game ... After those two, Kidd and Kmart should regain their healthy. With two to three days between games...
raven
Member: #316
Canada
4/15/2004  3:36 AM
We have to slow the game down, brake theri rythm. All their game is about that.
No fast break.

It's gonna be a war. nice post bigsmooth.
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
4/15/2004  6:50 AM
I think this series comes down to the Knicks playing D and forcing the Nets into half-court offense!!!! If we are able to do so, we ll beat them in 7!
SuperNYK992
Member: #595
USA
4/15/2004  8:34 AM
Knicks forever!
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
4/15/2004  11:17 AM
I agree with the half-court game assesment.
In a half court game we can best utilize Mutombo and his inside presence.
He will be fired up against his old team.
If the middle is clogged, Martin will have a tough time having an explosive game.

I think the biggest key to this game is Hardaway.
He is a very intelligent basketball player.
I look for him to have a hawk's eye on the passing lane.
We need Penny's basketball prowess to help keep Jefferson away from the ball.

An then of course there is Marbury....
This will truly be a war!!

Playoffs are completely different from the regular season...
We can take these chumps!!!

UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
4/15/2004  11:55 AM
Nice Smooth - I think I see the one place the Nets will kill the Knicks - at SG.. Just don't think that without AH, the Ks can keep up. That is where the rebounding and points will come that beat them. Shandon't will have to have a superior game...

[Edited by - ukdad on 04/15/2004 11:56:21]
The Old Man of UK...
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/15/2004  12:05 PM
The Nets are scary because when they really want to play and they try really hard they sweep their opponents. I really hope we try just as hard on defense for 4 quarters. We're gonna need everyone to contribute of we're gonna win.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/15/2004  1:01 PM
Last Year Tim Thomas Killed the Nets in the Playoffs but then they put Kenyon Martin on him and he shut him down. So if they do the same thing this year Kurt Thomas better hit his shots.
BigSm00th
USA
4/15/2004  1:20 PM
I think the most effective unit in this series will be Marbury, Penny, TT, KT, Mutumbo. Sweetney will also be huge, as offensive rebounds just kill team morale in the playoffs when u work to kill the 24, force the other team into a bad shot, and then guys like Sweetney get the offensive rebound.

Why I think this will be most effective is because TT is our definite 2nd option, and he needs to average 20 ppg. Penny brings everything, can bring the ball up, and can defend their shooters. KT and KMart will be a war in the paint. I wouldn't be shocked if these two hot heads get into a fight.

Mutumbo I think is the key. He will play with a HUGE chip on his shoulder since the Nets released him, and if the Knicks can get the Nets into a half-court game, putting Mutumbo in the middle essentially takes away their ability to slash since Mutumbo alters most shots if you drive. Make the Nets shoot jumpers, they aren't very good at it.

If the game does become a huge fast break, I might put in Norris and Marbury in the backcourt, TT at 3, Sweetney at 4, and Nazr at 5. Anderson might go in at SG and Norris can come out. I think that's the KNicks most athletic lines. Try and figure a way to get DerMarr in there.

GO KNICKS! I am so excited for Saturday at 4:30 o my god.
#Knickstaps
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
4/15/2004  1:31 PM
Nice post Smooth... I agree totally on all counts.
This will be a NASTY series....
I'm counting the minutes till Sat!
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
4/15/2004  6:41 PM
With Moochie off the roster, our chances off winning just increased a great deal!
simrud
Member: #474
USA
4/15/2004  7:47 PM
Can't wait till Saturday, guess how got tickets to the game, finally, living in NJ is good for something.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/15/2004  8:08 PM
Listen up, the key for New York to WIN [all that matters] is to disrupt NJ on fast breaks while trying to make NJ turn the ball over. NJ's high energy and above the rim play will catch NY looking when NJ goes back door. TT and Seph figures, Nazr is my sleeper.

If you want to force NJ to NY's half court...humiliate by making them turn the ball over.

Where's that NY defense...yo

Go getem Knicks

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/15/2004  8:36 PM
My prediction: Nets take games 2,3, and 6.
Knicks take games 1,4,5, and 7.

...Unfortunately I think the Nets taking games 1,2,5, and 6 and Knicks taking games 3 and 4 is a much more realistic scenario.
Mac
Japan
4/15/2004  8:59 PM
game 1: I think you'll see the Knicks struggle on offense. LFrank will have them trap Marbury, forcing other's to carry the scoring load. [Houston not playing is the equivalent of Jersey playing without Jefferson (a top scorer on the team)].

why: The nets are more athletic, more cohesive, and have more to prove (better record, smaller fan-base).

The Knicks play notoriously poor transition defense. Statistically, there is quite a differential in fast break points among the Nets (4th in league, 1st in east) and the Knicks (28th, last in the east).

In fact, I would argue that the only statistical advantage the Knicks have over the Nets, is Offensive rebounding. Oh, and salary.

The only way I see the Knicks pulling this series off: TT dominating Jefferson, Marbury needs to average more than 20 and 12, stay close with offensive rebounds, play an efficient offense (low turnovers), and for Houston to return before game 7.
Mac
Japan
4/15/2004  10:06 PM
I take that back:

Knicks average more points and rebounds, shoot better from the line and beyond the arc.

nba.com's playoff page: http://www.nba.com/playoffs2004/series_njnnyk.html

Has an ask Deke portion... I'm asking:
You've been in the playoffs for a long time. The Knicks are the underdogs and are written off by the sportswriters to go down in five.

Is this series any different than the upset against Sonics when you were in Denver?

Are the Nets that good?
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/15/2004  10:52 PM
Net's final year for the Garden State before going Brooklyn.
Maybe the fans in Jersey that supported them all these years...

Round 1.....Nets enter the subway series sweepstakes

If only the Knicks played like Miami during the regular season

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/15/2004  11:10 PM
Posted by simrud:

Can't wait till Saturday, guess how got tickets to the game, finally, living in NJ is good for something.

Nice I'm going too. I was shocked to get tickets! I guess the Nets have no fans...hehe.

Well anyway, its gonna be cool, regardless of what happpens. I'd be lying if I said my expectations were high, but there is the chance the Knicks pull this out. This is Marbury's turn to take it to another level, and prove himself against the guy he was traded for. IMO its gonna be his show.

The Knicks are gonna have to fine tune their team D and trust themselves more. They can do it. And Sweetney's gonna blow up...
BigSm00th
USA
4/16/2004  12:38 AM
I bought 2 tickets an hour ago for Game 1. Gotta love the Nets with no fans. My friend and I will be making the drive from Long Island in our Marbury jerseys and Knicks towels.

It's gonna be crazy.
#Knickstaps
Page 1 of 2  1  2 Next
Topic LOCKED
Official NJ vs. Knicks Thread -- Round 1

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy