[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What is this bias against the Knicks on ESPN.com????
Author Thread
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/13/2004  9:52 AM
CHAD FORD IS A NINCOMPOOP!
I used to respect this writer, but him and Terry Brown over at ESPN.com have something against the Knicks.

After not picking the Knicks to make the playoffs no more than three weeks ago, Knicks are 18th on the ESPN power rankings.
Wanna know where they were ranked last week? 18!! And the team has won three in a row but are still 18th.

TODAY, Chad Ford is handing out his awards and he is claling Lenny Wilkens the worst coach of the year! Someone wake this guy up! Lenny Wilkens is I believe 23-18 as coach.

Chad ford writes "..It's tough to call the leagues winning coach the worst coah of the year , but remember this -- Wilkens has more losses than anyone else in history. He was behind the raptors demise in Toronto, and has done little to get the Knicks going in New York."

WTf!!!!!!!!!!!

Why if Toronto was so good did they stink again this year? Why isn't Kevin Oneill the worst coach of they year? Or Tim Floyd? Or any sub .500 coach you can name?

lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/13/2004  10:28 AM
I don't know if it is bias or stupidity or otherwise intentional but the Insider guys have been off lately.

Note that Chad's comment like that about Wilkens will set off every Knicks fan around the world, and for a short while his email box and ESPN's web hits go up. Maybe that's the same as NYDaily News newspaper printing the Czar as the new Knicks coach early this year knowing it was false.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
4/13/2004  10:32 AM
Yea that is complete BS, Wilkens has been doing a good job considering all of the new players we've gottten. Our team has not had that much time to jell and we still played well enough to make the playoffs. I used to like Ford's articles, but this is just completely BS, and I think every other sports writer will agree with that. This is a successful year for the Knicks, how is it a bad year? If we didn't make the playoffs then maybe he could blame Wilkens a little more, but we are in the 7th seed in the East even though we basically traded more than half of our team. What a loser..
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/13/2004  11:11 AM
in fairness I dont see anything Wilkins has done as impressive. I like him as a coach, and I like the way he talks to players, but he's essentially just gotten a $100mm payroll to play 3-4 games over .500. They have also laid some total eggs against good teams and lost a couple bad ones too (Bulls and 76s in OT come to mind). Had we won those 2 we would have home court right now. Every little win counts.

I think Chad's comments are on. He's done very little to get them going. Hopefully we play better in the playoffs, but I'm not sure. Show me something.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/13/2004  11:13 AM
yeah but how can a coach, hired mid-season on a team with a winning record since he's been there, be a worse coach than one that was fired? it makes no sense.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/13/2004  11:32 AM
"Had we won those 2 we would have home court right now. Every little win counts."

yeah I'm still morning those losses.
kam77
4/13/2004  11:38 AM
What about the last two wins that we weren't supposed to win? Lenny should get some credit for going with the kids. Lenny should get credit for juggling so many vets who want PT. Lenny should get credit for letting their be a youth movement in this playoff drive.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/13/2004  11:41 AM
thats true but I wouldn't look too into the last 2 nights. Lenny was clearly tanking but enjoyed watching his 3rd unit play great. I just don't like the way he handled Frank and the terrible losses we had. Other than that he has done a decent job.
s3231
Member: #544
USA
4/13/2004  12:43 PM
Posted by fishmike:

in fairness I dont see anything Wilkins has done as impressive. I like him as a coach, and I like the way he talks to players, but he's essentially just gotten a $100mm payroll to play 3-4 games over .500. They have also laid some total eggs against good teams and lost a couple bad ones too (Bulls and 76s in OT come to mind). Had we won those 2 we would have home court right now. Every little win counts.

I think Chad's comments are on. He's done very little to get them going. Hopefully we play better in the playoffs, but I'm not sure. Show me something.

Yea Lenny hasn't done anything impressive yet. But worst coach in the NBA? How can Lenny be the worst coach of the year while bringing a team to the playoffs? In all fairness, we cannot evaluate what Wilkins has done in half a season. Give him a training camp and see what he does next year. I'm no big Lenny fan but saying he was the worst coach of the year is just completely bs. Plus we are missing our 2nd best scorer due to injury, so how are we suppossed to be more than 5 games over .500? Wait till next yeat thats all I have to say. Lets at least give the guy a training camp to see what he can do. Sorry but Ford is way off with this one.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
4/13/2004  1:11 PM
Its' and old story, the entire league hates the Knicks since the days of Riley. We used to beat the crap out of all them pu*ssies and they still can't get over it. Stue Jackson still can't get over not lasting on our coaching staff. Refs still can't get over us inventing the charge, and defesne in general as it is known today. Writers hate us cause we prove them wrong all the time. Same old story, its NYC against the world.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
martin
USA
4/13/2004  1:17 PM
Posted by s3231:
Posted by fishmike:

Yea Lenny hasn't done anything impressive yet. But worst coach in the NBA? How can Lenny be the worst coach of the year while bringing a team to the playoffs? In all fairness, we cannot evaluate what Wilkins has done in half a season. Give him a training camp and see what he does next year. I'm no big Lenny fan but saying he was the worst coach of the year is just completely bs. Plus we are missing our 2nd best scorer due to injury, so how are we suppossed to be more than 5 games over .500? Wait till next yeat thats all I have to say. Lets at least give the guy a training camp to see what he can do. Sorry but Ford is way off with this one.

gotta agree with s3231, Wilkens needs some time with the guys. .500 is not so bad all things considered.

Fish, I would never use the excuse of $100M salary for his players as a reason why a coach should be doing better. That's just bad GM'ing. About $15M of that has been on the IR for long stretches, $5M is old as sin, $13.5M is a shell of his former self, and so forth.

Coach as been through 2 different types of players. Hou, KVH, Marb, Kurt, Doleac are pick-and-roll you to death players with all outside shooting. TT, Marb, Nazr, Anderson, Kurt are more pick-and-roll and slashers within the half court and fastbreakers where possible.

Houston has been out. Frank has been out. Deke has been out. Nazr went from bench player to starter. Knicks have had no shooting guard to spread the floor. Baker has been slowing integrated.

Frank showed us some good things before Wilkens started. Sweets, DerMarr and Baker have had some flashes - don't know if that is coach or the assitants.
martin
USA
4/13/2004  1:20 PM
one more thing. with 2 or 3 more wins in the second half of the season the Knicks could have solidfied 4th place in the East. Not bad.
fishmike
USA
4/13/2004  1:23 PM
I could not agree more that Lenny neeeds and deserves more time. I am all for giving it to him. Also I agree judging him based on this year is utter folly. Same reason I wouldnt judge this roster on the same time period. Hopefully Houston gets healthy, and we can trim some fat and continue to build up the pipeline. I like Frank, Dermaar and Sweetney a whole lot.

I'm the #1 advocate for patience... I just dont think Lenny has done anything that impressive. The worst coach? Thats just dumb
kam77
4/27/2004  1:06 PM
CHAD FORD STRIKES AGAIN:

"It's hard to see the Knicks being much better than a .500 team unless they hit a home run this summer"

-Knick record with Marbury, despite all the trades and injuries, would suggest a 44-38 record next season. Pencil in a more healthy squad and before Isiah makes any moves we have the potential to win 48 games with virtually the same squad next season.

Add in a decent FA and we should win 50. Chad Ford is dumb.

[Edited by - kam77 on 04/27/2004 13:07:30]
fishmike
USA
4/27/2004  1:28 PM
this is the same guy that said Utah and the Bucks would struggle to win 15 games.

These guys know squat.. its their job to print controversy... that gets hits, its that simple.

Personally with the emergence of Frank in the playoffs and Sweetney late in the season, along with the vast improvement of Nazr we are a good team that just needs time playing together. Penny showed he still has a lot in the tank and can play at a high level, so even without Houston if we go into next year with this same group, and stay relatively healthy I think we can EASILY win 45 games... if not closer to 50.
spreeeewell
Member: #436
4/27/2004  1:53 PM
Why would they trash talk any other team then the knicks? we have the biggest media.here is where their going to make a name for themselves.they don't talk about toronto right?
I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
Chico
Member: #666
4/28/2004  12:37 AM
to say that this team will win 50 games w/out houston is the same as saying you smoke crack. while i agree chad ford is an idiot, a dunce and a bufoon, a lot of posters (especially the younger ones) seem to look at our team with extreme rose colored glasses.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy