[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks backcourt of the future?
Author Thread
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/13/2004  12:27 AM
How long will Allan Houston be the main guy at SG?
Will he last three more years to fulfill his contract?
If he does make it and isn't traded in his final year, does he get re-signed?
If he gets re-signed, will he accept a bench role?

Isiah must upgrade this team in several areas but trading for, or signing a replacement for Allan Houston should not be one of them.

Isiah need look no further for a future Marbury partner than down the bench.
Frank Williams is worth keeping around, as a player, not just a trading chip.

Stephon Marbury and Frank Williams should continue to play on the floor together with Frank spelling Marbury from point guard duties so that Marbs can look for his shot. Allan Houston may go, but Marbury can provide a similar dangerous weapon at the SG spot. Shandon Anderson will very likely outlast Allan Houston, so will Moochie and also Penny can also lend a hand in the backcourt.

Rather than go after a Crawford or a Sura, Isiah should try and make a deal for a Center like Curry or Dampier and it at all possible keep the kids like Frankie and Sweets out of the deal.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
4/13/2004  1:37 AM
I thought you were going to say DerMarr Johnson.

Frank is nice, but if DerMarr lifts weights and works on his defense he could turn into a really, really good player.
#Knickstaps
kam77
4/13/2004  1:46 AM
Isn't DerMarr more of a SF? Can he guard smaller, quick(er) players?

Anyhow, Marbs at the 2, Frankie at the 1, TT at the 3, and you have three perimeter players who can handle the ball, penetrate and dish, or score.

If you put those three on the floor with Sweetney and Nazr, you'd have a team of 26 yr olds together for the next 5 years.

lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
4/13/2004  4:47 AM
Posted by kam77:

Isn't DerMarr more of a SF? Can he guard smaller, quick(er) players?

If you put those three on the floor with Sweetney and Nazr, you'd have a team of 26 yr olds together for the next 5 years.

DJ can't guard anyone right now.

And that team of 26-year-olds really isn't that good. Outside Marbs, who among them makes us "championship caliber?"
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
kam77
4/13/2004  11:35 AM
How many young teams have ANYONE on their roster that makes them real contenders? Marbury and Tim Thomas are already playoff proven at their young ages. I think if Sweentey continues to work on his low post game, he will be a Star someday. So that just leaves it up to guys like Nazr, DJ, and Fwill to keep improving and this team will be quite good.

And you know it doesn't hurt to have niddle-aged vets like KT and AH on your team or to be used as trade pieces. I can't wait to see what Isiah turns that 10 million dollars in expiring contracts (othella-Zeke-trybanski)into.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/13/2004  1:10 PM
100% accurate. Demarr Johnson HAS to go into an intensive weight training regimen following the season. It is crucial for him to do so. He needs to have the power to drive and post up + more power to hold his ground on the D. Hes still so young, I hope that the Knicks and demarr really work on his body as well as sweetney.

Im with you big smooth on flip murray as well--i dont know what type of deal we can do, but the bottom line is we have to many PFs they have to many Gs---so I can see a match made somehow. I dont know what type of future H2O has with the Knicks--it seems as if he is going the way down the road that everyone goes, hes aging and his body is failing him.

If we can somehow get Murray and their pick in a package deal where we take back a bad contract and give up our second rounders + lets say NAZR and FW and swipe Arajuo in the draft, all of a sudden we really have made some real headway without spending more money.

If we go to battle next year with something like

Arajuo Dikembe Booth
Sweetney Thomas Harrington
T Thomas Andersen Johnson
H20 Johnson Murray
Marbury Murray Norris I think we take will be a 45 win team and a sure fire competitor in the playoffs.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/13/2004  1:32 PM
Im not into trading Frank, unless its for a more athletic big. He's a good player, and I think Isiah see's something in him. Why else would he pass on Frank and Harrington for Darius Miles if he didnt see something he really liked in FW? FW has a long was to go but he shows good flashes on both sides of the ball, is a big PG and can defend some 2s as well.

No more favors taking other team's bad deals. I will take Booth and thier #1 for Nazr.

I have no problem with making some minor tweeks this offseason and being a little patient with this current roster. Since Chaney was fired we would be on pace to win 46 games any way, thats with all the injuries.

I wouldnt mind trading our #2's for a very late #1 (in the late 20s) and just taking Ricky Paulding.

If Houston is recovering in the summer buy out Shandon.. sometimes its just best to cut the old cord.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
metra
Member: #473
4/13/2004  1:42 PM
Its pretty funny how this forum loves Frank and the heads of the Knicks dont. Today's Post says that if (when) Allen comes back Lenny's probably gonna bench FW, not DJ.

[Edited by - metra on 04/13/2004 13:43:55]
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/13/2004  1:52 PM
i would do that, but i would demand that FW goes for Murray. Murray is much more assertive and battle tested compared to FW. Murray had something like 30 20 point games this year in his first real year. Even last night Murray had 24 points 6 assits 4 rebounds--hes a much more explosive atheltic player who has more natural talent. I wouldnt do that trade without Seattle including murray for FW.

I hope Isiah learns from the Starbury move to be patient with aggresive overtones instead of gung ho aggresive. You want to get what you need, but you also have to have some better give and take skills.
RIP Crushalot😞
kam77
4/13/2004  2:04 PM
"You want to get what you need, but you also have to have some better give and take skills."

Why does the notion that Isiah overpaid for Marbury and Penny still bother some?

Two teams agreed to a deal, had Isiah offered less, Marbury may not be here. Why do people act as if they were in the room and on the phone while the deals were going down? You think Isiah just said 'ahhh hell Jerry, why don't you take Lampe too'?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/13/2004  2:18 PM
Posted by metra:

Its pretty funny how this forum loves Frank and the heads of the Knicks dont. Today's Post says that if (when) Allen comes back Lenny's probably gonna bench FW, not DJ.

[Edited by - metra on 04/13/2004 13:43:55]

don't get mixed up in the intentions of Knicks brass with regards to the playoff roster and how much they like a player. Playoff roster is about have a balanced set of players. Having 3 healthy point guards helps nothing, but having another healthy outside shooter is a big bonus - epecially when Houston/Penny have been hurt/sick and when TT (SF) has been hurt in the past month and knowing that Anderson sucks when shooting from the outside.

Knicks front office loves Frank.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
bernard
Member: #475
4/13/2004  4:15 PM
Kam, I'm with you 100%. That's been bugging me too.

Don't know where this widespread notion that Isiah overpaid for Marbury comes from. There are a whole bunch of posters who seem to think that he could have gotten the same deal w/o giving Lampe, or could have lottery-protected this year's #1, or done any number of little things to make the deal a little sweeter. These are guys who otherwise like the deal. Well, for all we know, it was take it or leave it. We don't know. Maybe Isiah was prescient and refused to include Sweets in the deal despite Phoenix pushing for it?

In the end, we have to judge the deal as it was put together. If you don't like it, fine (I disagree, but that's ok). But don't assume we could have gotten more or given less just by holding firm.
BigSm00th
USA
4/13/2004  6:17 PM
I would definitely be for a Nazr/FW deal for Flip/Booth/1st rounder.

I don't really think FW is worth keeping around, he's going to be a career backup with Marbury at PG until 2010. I'd get rid of him for something.

I think the reason he wasn't traded for Miles was becuase Williams was coming off a string of great games and Miles looked absolutely horrible in Cleveland.
#Knickstaps
kam77
4/13/2004  6:50 PM
Smooth,

Which is it. Frank Williams career backup,
or Frank Williams string of really good games.

some one posted this link on the NYTimes forum:
http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20040413-121657-1462r.htm

an excerpt:

"Marbury's one of the top 10 players on offense," Winston says. "Everybody thinks this guy is a great player. But when he's on defense, he gives it all back."
BigSm00th
USA
4/14/2004  12:59 AM
That's a really interesting article. I'd like to look at their numbers.
#Knickstaps
simrud
Member: #474
USA
4/14/2004  2:31 AM
Sounds like a bunch of bs to me. You are gonna tell me that a superb offensive guy is not really all that if he gives up on the D? How about understanding that defense is a team concept. Its much more about trust then about individual actions. Most prolific NBA scorers cannot be guarded 1 on 1 by anybody. Its about the system. Also, Dallas has not exactly been all that sucesful considering how much talent they got. And telling me that James is not the reason behind the turnaound in Clevalnd is beyond stupid. What these professors fail to understand is that basketball player are intechangable and perform based on the situation they are put into. Put any PF with a similar game to Boozer on that Cavs team and he'll look good. So Wade is so great? How about the fact that he has been out for a lot. So the Heat could not exactly rely on him to carry them to the playoffs. A certain guy named Odom did, and I bet he is not all that either according to the number crunching. Attempts at describing away people with mathematical formulars have failed before and will never ever amount to anything because being unpredicatable is what makes us human and what makes sports fun.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
kam77
4/14/2004  11:55 AM
sim,

The article was thought-provoking, at least.

I tend to agree with you actually - but i must confess that on defense i'm not watching marbury, i'm usually looking at the guys fighting down low.

But i'm going to be looking at Marbury on defense more now, if the numbers suggest that the Knicks are giving up points when he is on the floor, lets use our eyeballs to verify it for ourselves.

Knicks backcourt of the future?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy