Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

4/19/2013  11:52 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
Panos wrote:Personally I think the 6Man award is bogus. What's the point? JR could and should be a starter on this team. That he comes off the bench is a gimmick. He still plays 30-40 minutes every night. They need to tighten up the definition of the term 6th man.

It's an excellent weapon to have. All the better teams in history have employed this strategy. From Wikipedia:

The sixth man in basketball is a player who is not a starter but comes off the bench much more often than other reserves, often being the first player to be substituted in. The sixth man often plays minutes equal to or exceeding some of the starters and posts similar statistics. He is often a player who can play multiple positions, hence his utility in substituting often. For example, Kevin McHale, a famous sixth man who played for the Boston Celtics in the 1980s, variably played center and power forward. The presence of a good sixth man is often a sign of excellence. It usually means that a team has excellent depth, as the sixth man is usually more than talented enough to start for most teams.

The 80s Celtics used Kevin McHale in this role, the 90s Bulls Toni Kukoc, Manu in the 2000s. If you're a coach and have starting caliber depth coming from the bench, why not?

I don't think Kukoc should count. In JR's case he's, by far, our best backcourt player but comes off the bench. Kukoc wasn't better than anyone starting over him.

Sure he was. Ron Harper, Luc Longley? Sure he was.

Kukoc wasn't better than anyone starting over him at a position he could play.

The Bulls would play small sometimes with Rodman at Center. Kukoc could play from 2 all the way to PowerForward. Sometimes he'd dribble the ball up like a PointForward.

Sometimes, not all the time. The starters ahead of him at the 2-4 spots were Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman; 3 Hall of Famers and 2 of the greatest players of all time.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
AUTOADVERT
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
4/19/2013  11:53 AM
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
Panos wrote:Personally I think the 6Man award is bogus. What's the point? JR could and should be a starter on this team. That he comes off the bench is a gimmick. He still plays 30-40 minutes every night. They need to tighten up the definition of the term 6th man.

It's an excellent weapon to have. All the better teams in history have employed this strategy. From Wikipedia:

The sixth man in basketball is a player who is not a starter but comes off the bench much more often than other reserves, often being the first player to be substituted in. The sixth man often plays minutes equal to or exceeding some of the starters and posts similar statistics. He is often a player who can play multiple positions, hence his utility in substituting often. For example, Kevin McHale, a famous sixth man who played for the Boston Celtics in the 1980s, variably played center and power forward. The presence of a good sixth man is often a sign of excellence. It usually means that a team has excellent depth, as the sixth man is usually more than talented enough to start for most teams.

The 80s Celtics used Kevin McHale in this role, the 90s Bulls Toni Kukoc, Manu in the 2000s. If you're a coach and have starting caliber depth coming from the bench, why not?

I don't think Kukoc should count. In JR's case he's, by far, our best backcourt player but comes off the bench. Kukoc wasn't better than anyone starting over him.

The Bulls would play small sometimes with Rodman at Center. Kukoc could play from 2 all the way to PowerForward. Sometimes he'd dribble the ball up like a PointForward.

Sometimes, not all the time. The starters ahead of him at the 2-4 spots were Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman; 3 Hall of Famers and 2 of the greatest players of all time.

No dispute there, all-time greats. Agree 100%. Just saying he was probably the 4th best player on the team and was versatile enough to play almost all 5 positions.

VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

4/19/2013  11:59 AM
ChuckBuck wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ChuckBuck wrote:

No dispute there, all-time greats. Agree 100%. Just saying he was probably the 4th best player on the team and was versatile enough to play almost all 5 positions.

Yeah, he probably was the 4th best player on that team. That doesn't change the fact that the players ahead of him on the depth chart at a position he could play, Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, were much, much better than him. Saying that he was better than Harper and Longley doesn't mean anything since they played positions he couldn't. And there's no way Kukoc could have played center back then; maybe he could today for stretches but back then he would have been annihilated in the post.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
End of the season awards... Who ya got?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy