[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2004 NBA draft will be the best draft perhaps in history of the nBA
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/6/2004  12:02 PM
unbelievable depth and talent throughout the draft with a combination of incredibly talented athletes, big men and skill players. with the east owning a majority of the high picks, the balance of talent will sway each year and i believe very soon the east will come full circle and have very dominant teams for years.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
4/6/2004  1:11 PM
Can't argue with last years draft, the deepest I've seen in years and maybe the deepest of all time.

Lebron, Carmelo, Bosh, Ford, Kaman, Hinrich, Wade, Hayes, Banks, Howard, and now even Sweetney and Ridnour have all seen significant time. If Darko comes along and a few other guys who haven't played a lot (Collison comes to mind), it could become one of the best of all-time.
#Knickstaps
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/6/2004  1:27 PM
96 draft was pretty good too. Kobe, Iverson, Marbury, J'neal, Ray Allen, Dampier, Walker, Kittles, Rahim
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/6/2004  2:04 PM
I completely disagree. This is one of the worst drafts in some time, especially from the standpoint that there is only one sure thing- Emeka Okafor. There are only a few other top 10 worthy college bball players- Ben Gordon, Igoudoula, Josh Childress...but the rest all have question marks. Most of the talent comes from high schoolers and Euros, which is all well and good, but we're talking long-range, high bust potential projects. This is a lot like the Brown-Curry-Chandler draft. However, the addition of the Euro big men makes it a bit better than that one. But its absolutely no where close to last year's talent. There just aren't enough good college players in this draft IMO. This is definitely a wait and see kind of draft.

[Edited by - VDesai on 04/06/2004 14:07:45]
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/6/2004  2:44 PM
"This is definitely a wait and see kind of draft."

They all are.

I KNOW Isiah wants into this draft. I dont know what went on behind the scenes with the Rose #1/KT trade but you know Isiah likes the draft and like to scout young players
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jazz74
Member: #371
4/6/2004  3:08 PM
the best draft of all time was the 84 draft. they had four players that were named the 50 greatest players of all-time ( jordan, malone, olojowan and barkley). 96 was great also. if you look at last year's draft there are maybe four perenial all-stars coming out of it( james, anthony, wade and bosh). the rest are solid players ( hinrich, hayes , howard, sweetney, ridnour, ford, etc.). i mean the draft was the better draft of recent memory but that is not saying much. so to say this is the best draft ever is way over the top.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
4/6/2004  3:39 PM
Stockton went in 84, I don't think Malone did.

If you believe the hype about Darko, then you have 5 perennial All Stars in a few years. It's definitely one of the top classes.
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/6/2004  4:21 PM
impossible to compare drafts after the paradigm shift of high school players and foreign athlete dominating the draft. im talking 1-50, im not talking top 8 picks, this draft is extremely deep in depth and talent way down the line. i think we will see a lot more of what we saw with dallas last year picking up two college seniors -one late first and one not even making the second--while both now play prominent roles on a good team right away. thats what i mean--the talent pool is rich and now the 2nd round pick is valuable when it was just a junk pick for years. no MJ will play 3 yeasr in college anymore--even what you saw with emeka is just an aberration. i saw that kid jr smith play 3 times in two weeks and you can plainly see he is a superstar prospect---this kid is all set ready to go to NC but now the stigma of money is placed in his lap and for most people--how can you pass on 4-10mm$? 98% of people would take it and figure if they want to go to college later on they can and be set for life as well.

but this draft IMHO--is unbelievable when you consider who you could get at pick 45 compared to drafts even 3-4 years ago.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
USA
4/6/2004  4:29 PM
I see your clarifcation BRIGGS. I don't think this draft is too great at the top, but I agree that you can get some depth in rd.2 With the huge influx of Euros and HS'ers, you're seeing some solid rd.2 guys who might've even played 4 years at a big school. I think the general trend in recent years has been that there is a lot more value in the 2nd round.
VDesai
USA
4/6/2004  4:31 PM
Posted by fishmike:

They all are.

I KNOW Isiah wants into this draft. I dont know what went on behind the scenes with the Rose #1/KT trade but you know Isiah likes the draft and like to scout young players

My point was that there are very few sure things and a lot more projects at the top. I don't think there was very much wait and see to guys like Lebron, Darko, Wade, Ford, Bosh, Hinrich etc. To me the only guy you can really say that for is Okafor.
fishmike
USA
4/6/2004  5:00 PM
this is why I see Isiah really working hard to get into this draft. I could see him buying the Clippers lottery pick with Frank, $3 mill and a couple #2's. Especially if they resign Richardson. I could also see IT making a run at Wilcox.

Money can do a lot...
RonRon
Member: #246
4/6/2004  5:32 PM
there is no rooom for another PF on this team. Also i think they like jaric but wont surprise me if they would like to acquire frank williams. However, I dont see them sending us a 1st rd pick for him neither. I guess depending where they will fall though...
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/6/2004  5:38 PM
you can't win without a great bigman. That is why The T-wolves won't win this year.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
4/6/2004  6:55 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

you can't win without a great bigman. That is why The T-wolves won't win this year.
and here i am thinking it was just me.
ok, everyone's top five draft picks? (pleez make them reasonable) remember, no number one, unless zeke pulls something out his.....
raven
Member: #316
Canada
4/7/2004  4:21 AM
Posted by RonRon:

there is no rooom for another PF on this team. Also i think they like jaric but wont surprise me if they would like to acquire frank williams. However, I dont see them sending us a 1st rd pick for him neither. I guess depending where they will fall though...

2 things :

- there's always room for good or at least promising big men (which we actually miss)
- there's always room when you want to make some. On that point, I trust IT's ability to clean the house a lil bit more.

In mind, we should protect othella though. ending contract for a servicable big man could be a nice (not great) tradable asset, for a team that doesn't have a lot of them.
fishmike
USA
4/7/2004  10:49 AM
I agree... protect anyone with an expiring deal, because you never know who is available.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/7/2004  11:21 AM
Posted by fishmike:

They all are.

What do you think went wrong? Would you have traded Malik Rose and a first rounder for Kurt Thomas? I know I would have laughed at that though. Even Malik straight up for Kurt sucks. Then again maybe Isiah finally saw Sweetney play and decided to go with Sweetney.

Isiah is gonna do something and it will most likely be on draft night. He knows how to work a crowd. I think h ewill be looking for a swing man maybe Warrick.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
4/7/2004  12:26 PM
Posted by VDesai:

I completely disagree. This is one of the worst drafts in some time, especially from the standpoint that there is only one sure thing- Emeka Okafor. There are only a few other top 10 worthy college bball players- Ben Gordon, Igoudoula, Josh Childress...but the rest all have question marks. Most of the talent comes from high schoolers and Euros, which is all well and good, but we're talking long-range, high bust potential projects. This is a lot like the Brown-Curry-Chandler draft. However, the addition of the Euro big men makes it a bit better than that one. But its absolutely no where close to last year's talent. There just aren't enough good college players in this draft IMO. This is definitely a wait and see kind of draft.

[Edited by - VDesai on 04/06/2004 14:07:45]

exactly, this draft is weak at the top and okafor is probably the only immediate impact player available, I mean even in last years draft there were at least 4 players who made immediate impacts on their teams. Saying this draft may be the best ever is a huge stretch, too many question marks..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
2004 NBA draft will be the best draft perhaps in history of the nBA

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy