[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah's Biggest Blunder
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
4/5/2004  1:04 PM
Wasn't hiring Wilkens, it was calling off the Malik Rose/1st rounder for Kurt Thomas deal at the trade deadline.

Thomas averages slightly better numbers, but Rose's numbers go down a bit becuase of his playing behind Tim Duncan.

It's the first round pick that would've been nice to have. With this draft appearing really deep, the Knicks could've netted a nice player in the 20s with that pick.

Then to top it all off Thomas was signed to a multi-year extension. Hip hip hooray. If he isn't dealt this offseason then this will be Isiah's biggest mistake as GM. If he is traded, then we'd have to analyze the deal and see which would've been better.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/5/2004  1:23 PM
I would say it tough to judge anything as a blunder 2-3 months into the job. Lets see where we are after the next deadline and the one after than and we will have some body of work to look at. Otherwise just be patient :)
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
simrud
Member: #474
USA
4/5/2004  6:42 PM
You can't be serious. Rose sucks. He is 6 7 and getting old, do you really want the second coming of Fatspoon?
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
KnickChick114
Member: #413
USA
4/5/2004  11:22 PM
i've actually watched Rose and he's really no improvement over Kurt. And the pick SA would've given us is basically worthless, only if somehow the Knicks were to trade up in the draft. Also SA wanted to take Kurt because at the deadline, he was in the last year of his contract and the Spurs, who intend on staying under the salary cap, expected Kurt to opt out.
BigSm00th
USA
4/6/2004  12:19 AM
Well, Thomas has been virtually ineffective these last few weeks, and this team isn't going anywhere as is. Rose has a shorter contract and a pick in the 20s could net you a guy like Al Jefferson or JR Smith, HSers with huge potential who won't go in the lotto.

That's why, I said on the basis of the deep draft. Then again, who wants teenagers with tons of potential. Certainly not me, I'd rather have KT playing a below-average PF.
#Knickstaps
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/6/2004  8:45 AM
I agree 100% that trade was a no brainer for the Knicks as it turns out.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/6/2004  8:54 AM

Cant' be monday morning QB! The emergence of Sweets makes Thomas tradable in the offseason. Rose does not fit as does TT, a real small forward, and Nazr, a real (but small) center. Nazr can also play power forward if we ever get a real center. I disagreed witht the trade, but it makes us more fundamentally sound.

If Isiah wants a pick, He'll find one.

Don't believe all the hype, its draft time, they all sound soooo good.

Its a weak draft, only Emeka can make you better on day 1, most are projects. 10-14 High Schoolers coming out is silly. Lebron was a freak, and shame on the GMs whom take these kids high in the draft.

I am ok with 18 yr olds making a living, I just think NBA needs a minor league system to bring these kids up. Baseball does it and it makes sense.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
4/6/2004  9:05 AM
Rose gives you nothing over Thomas, he is actually worse. A late 1st round pick can be had for far less and it will not give you a guaranteed contributor next year. The way this team is built, as to win now, we should be trading for established talent for up and coming talent not absolute projects. All this really needs to contend is another superstar, or just a talented big body and TT steppin up and living up to his poetnential. Either way we can't be taking on projects. Nothing wrong with rebuilding, but we have already discarded that road with the Marbury trade.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/6/2004  9:29 AM
this draft is full of high schoolers...if Isiah can get us one of them, it will be the perfect situation for the rookie. He doesn't have to be Lebron James. He can stay on the bench a few years like J'neal did. Thats why I would've made that trade, not just of malik rose. Rose is very tradeable anyway. If Isiah can get us the 16th pick or something for Kurt Thomas and Frank Williams, man I'll be so happy! We can go after a PF/c via free agency or just start Sweetney, who might breakout next year!
BigSm00th
USA
4/8/2004  4:42 PM
David Harrison just declared for the Draft. 7 footer, probably 250, and a very good shot blocker. Will go in the 20s.

That's why I wanted that Spurs pick. Because there are going to be college players who are passed over becuase of the Euros and HSers with more potential and guys like Harrison who will never be an All Star but nice pros. Would probably average 1-2 blocks per game in the NBA. I'd take him and Rose over KT any day of the week.
#Knickstaps
Isiah's Biggest Blunder

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy