my number 1 option for offseason improvement
Author Thread
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
4/7/2004  7:34 PM

...the NY Knicks are in a quagmire worse than any point that i can remember

That irritating "Swan Dive off the ledge after every Knick loss" segment by Briggs was brought to you by Prozac, the segments sponsor. Prozac is the # 1 choice for all insufferable and impossible to please wannabe sports experts, and hyperbole stricken doomsayers.

BTW: You must have been stuck on an island somewhere during the Layden years...must have
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/7/2004  11:30 PM
we are very good against teams that are trying to get draft positioning and we get blown away by good teams. we have a strange brew of players and no style of play. either you are vying to be a championship contender or you are building for one--i see us as stuck in between or in a quagmire saddled with huge contracts a position that could be the worst in my memory going back 25 years or so. we sure had much WORSE teams going back into the 80 and even late 70s but they werent teams boggled with financial mess although we were still taking everyones old all stars or drafting cokeheads.

you dont want to be stuck in the middle
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/7/2004  11:54 PM
Posted by sebstar:

That irritating "Swan Dive off the ledge after every Knick loss" segment by Briggs was brought to you by Prozac, the segments sponsor. Prozac is the # 1 choice for all insufferable and impossible to please wannabe sports experts, and hyperbole stricken doomsayers.

BTW: You must have been stuck on an island somewhere during the Layden years...must have

LOL.. now THATS funny.

We certainly have some ugly contracts, all of which I blame on Layden. As bad as Penny is I will take him over Eisley any day. Also last I checked we have beaten some very good teams of late. Yes we laid an egg against Indy but did beat them at home just a couple weeks ago.

I see this team built around a great PG and versatile scorer in MArbury and TT both a venerable 27 years old. I see a guy you called "a must have" and someone that could "solidify the post for 10 years" getting better every game in Mike Sweetney. I have seen some nice flashes from Frank Williams, and I see a GREAT trading piece in a 26 year old Nazr whos at modest $5 mill is averaging 12/9 in under 30 minutes as a starter. In the short term I also see a couple old veterans in Deke and Penny that could come up big in the postseason for us. I also see a GM that puts a VERY high value on the development of young players and using the draft as a tool.

Are there obstacles? Of course. Will it be hard? Probably. Is there zero chance of improvement as some (ok one) would say? No way Jose.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
4/8/2004  3:17 AM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by sebstar:

LOL.. now THATS funny.

It definitly was. Good one seb !

I agree with you, fish. We have some assets, and I'd also take a bad contract that can dribble, pass and shoot like penny over a bad contract that can... that can... can't remember what eisley could do, please help me...

We've got young guys in the pipe who I hope won't be traded, and I trusts IT to try to improve us during the offseason. Vince carter said the other day that he wanted in toronto a guy like IT, that had the balls to bring guys, try things and had the credibility that is needed to survive in this league.

One thing though, I always thought that bringing in baker was a stupid move that would hurt our already ailing chemistry, and I sincerly hope like briggs, that he won't stay a knick unless we can get him for cheap.
fishmike
USA
4/8/2004  9:33 AM
Baker won us the Portland game... if Cle doesnt lose every game who knows how important that game is?

Baker had nice moments as a backup center and his post game will be needed if we advance or want to advance. The nice thing with a bench player like him is you have no obligation to stick with him.. but his upside can give you big minutes like he did against Mil or Port.
raven
Canada
4/8/2004  11:37 AM
the "upside" word is what makes GM chose Nickoloz Tskitishvili before dajuan wagner or amare stud !

Seriously, "if" cleveland don't lose all games... They did so who cares about the "ifs". Not to disrespect you at all, but they lsot their games since they lost mcinnins. Alright, give him back to them and we get a healthy houston.

Do we still need baker in that case ? Don't think so.

Baker is eating playing time, and I'd rather loose and see sweet try than loose watching baker on the court.

No matter what, chances are that we gonna have a very hard time getting out of the 1st round, so, why not playing sweet?

we all know he's gonnna be benched.

see my point ? =)
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/8/2004  12:11 PM
the bottom line is we have to much fat on the roster, to many guys you cant count on for long term growth and as dikembe showed, a dire need for an interior shot blocking presence or at the very least a legit C who can post up and take up space in the paint. the reason i have said swift is because he does bring that shot blocking ability with a nice athletic package and has the ability to be a 20-10-3 player. that being said, he isnt a 5--

we have to make a decision going forward who our 4 is who our back up 4 is--a plan to get a 5--the guard and forward positions are much easier to deal with--especially if you look at what dallas did. But SIZE in the post and athletiscm on the perimeter is how we improve. i dont think jamal crawford is worth using our time unless Chicago was willing to take KT in a sign and trade for the same length and $$$$

its nice to have depth, but its much better to have a consistent roster to build continuity and chemistry
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
4/8/2004  1:09 PM
I totally agree, but you can be very good with a one sided center. Especially if Sweetney turns out to be the scorer in the paint many of us think he can be a shotblocking 7 footer would be a perfect match. Think about what Theo Ratliff would do for this roster. Ok.. he's on the wrong side of 30 now but Dalembert or Haywood are possibilities.

Blame the fat on Layden, but on the bright side we can use this depth to win us a couple playoffs games, elevate the value of our trade bait pieces and make NY a more attractive place to play.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/8/2004  9:11 PM
Listen up! If you wanna take NY to the next level, you drive with Mo Diesel.... While all the attention is on Kobe, you back door with H20, Nazr and KT = Shaq Diesel cross country to MSG

Why mess around with small trades when its time to go jugular....Zeke has to do this before Nets move to BK.

Starbury
Penny
TT
Sweetney
Diesel
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
raven
Canada
4/9/2004  3:23 AM
Posted by Bobby:

Listen up! If you wanna take NY to the next level, you drive with Mo Diesel.... While all the attention is on Kobe, you back door with H20, Nazr and KT = Shaq Diesel cross country to MSG

Why mess around with small trades when its time to go jugular....Zeke has to do this before Nets move to BK.

Starbury
Penny
TT
Sweetney
Diesel

Be serious guy. The needle on the diesel's tank is nearly on empty.
Bobby
USA
4/9/2004  8:03 PM

Your needle is broken! Diesel may be getting older but there is no way his game is running on empty. By adding Shaq to Sweetney NY has just formed the best frontcourt in the East and the closest thing to instant championship.

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
raven
Canada
4/10/2004  7:14 AM
Posted by Bobby:

Your needle is broken! Diesel may be getting older but there is no way his game is running on empty.

Don't overreact. His body is breaking down. How long do you think his feet, knees... will be able to carry such an overweight ? Never forget that big men can get old very quickly, and this can be very ugly (ie : olajuwon, ewing...).
By adding Shaq to Sweetney NY has just formed the best frontcourt in the East and the closest thing to instant championship.

what is instant championship ? would you be happy with that ? I'm affraid I wouldn't. I'd rather watch a team grow and fight his way to the top of the hill. Your proposal sounds like this yr lakers. One yr and it's done. For what legacy ? What will remain after that ?
TheSage
Member: #386
4/10/2004  9:04 AM
Fish-nice post Briggs-calm down-while I don't question your knowledge of the talent available in the draft I do believe your knowledge about buildinga team is misguided. Every team team needs role players to plug in to spots like Penny who is quality utility man who can be plugged into three spots if necessary. I see Nazr as a quality backup in 2 spots, and KT also being a second cog in those two spots as well.

I see Marbury as the PG now and in the future with H2O starting now and becoming Reggie Miller going forward with a replacement coming in the draft unless Johnson developes as knick fans hope. TT can still develope as a star playing SF and Sweets has shown that he can be a major contributor at PF and dominate the boards.

All that being said the only problem area going forward is Center where there are so few quality all around big men to be had. But let us remember a team from the the midwest that won occasionally using a three headed monster with 18 fouls to give and they were less than stellar at 2 other positions.

In sum things are not as bleak as you (Briggs) paint and a healthy Houston (his injuries do not seem career threatening) makes the knicks competitive with any team. IT has built the foundation for now and going forward and it would not take much to put us in contention. The team is much more flexible, in terms of talent now than it was then.
Bobby
USA
4/11/2004  3:59 AM
If any one was watching the knick/‘zard game witnessed Sweetney put the final touch with a driving reverse lay-up recording his finest game to date, his first double double. Good game for Sweetney showing up …… bad game for New York allowing overtime to take place against scrub lineup. Remember, ‘zards took us to overtime without Stack and Brown… that’s why these final games don’t mean jack

If you enjoyed what you seen in Sweetney, as I did, imagine Diesel and Sweetney, as some wall of defense, shot blocking, rebound taking, alley oop making with no players penetrating cause now they have to make their game on the perimeter is nothing short than mind boggling. We always knew, when we traded the big fella, his replacement had to be a player of equal talent or better ……that player is Shaq Diesel…….and if Shaq is to complete his career by going back east where it all started and getting say 2 rings in the Mecca may put Diesel as the greatest center of all time. I’m not even going to mention marketing tactics[lol], but that billboard they got downtown sporting Lebron would belong to Diesel.

Again I’m talking the closest thing to instant championship….making us contenders not pretenders
my number 1 option for offseason improvement

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy