[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Lenny Wilkens
Author Thread
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
4/4/2004  5:27 AM
Lenny is taking a lot of heat on this board. Unjustified in my view. He is 19-17 as knicks coach. He is coaching a team having had no training camp, huge roster turnover and a lot of injuries.

It's been pointed out all teams have injuries and that's no excuse. Yes all teams do have injuries and most of them play much worse when key players are out. Look at the records of the Lakers, San Antonio, N.J, etc when they are missing any of their top players - and they are all much more talented teams then the Knicks.

It's been pointed out what a great job Van Gundy has done with Miami. But look how long it took - Miami record for the first 36 games was 15-21 and that was with a training camp to work with the team.

In my view the Jury is still out but Lenny has done a pretty good job so far.

AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/4/2004  11:00 AM
Posted by OldFan:

Lenny is taking a lot of heat on this board. Unjustified in my view. He is 19-17 as knicks coach. He is coaching a team having had no training camp, huge roster turnover and a lot of injuries.
It's been pointed out what a great job Van Gundy has done with Miami. But look how long it took - Miami record for the first 36 games was 15-21 and that was with a training camp to work with the team.

Actually Oldfan, Stan Van Gundy took over 6 days from opening day. Riley at the last moment left and gave the coaching position to Stan. The problem with Lenny is that his practices are to lax and the players aren't properly prepared during practice. Thats been the grip with Lenny and the players from Toranto al ot of the player in Toranto which was hard hit from injuries pointed to lax workout as the cause of the injuries. Another problem is that Lenny hasn't implemented a system for the players to follow which I think is the most important thing in basketball. For instance the Lakers KNow they run the triangle offense, the Nets are a running and motion offense team, Kings are a running and motion offense team, Detroit is a half court and defensive team, Pacers are Half Court low post oriented team with defense. What are the Knicks? But Lenny is definitely an improvement over Chaney.

[Edited by - Vmart on 04/04/2004 11:01:29]
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/4/2004  1:43 PM
Lenny still is, what he always was, since the moment he came to the Knicks. A placeholder coach. I see him getting his full training camp, and full year next year, and if the Knicks don't get to the ECF next season, Isiah probably promotes one of the bench assisstants, or gives himself the job.

Lenny ain't going anywhere for now. He's not bad for an Interim coach 'til the Knicks get to the next level. Once the Knicks are at the level of ECF, they will need a new voice, a different kind of voice, to take them to the Finals and beyond...

Also, Lenny can only do so much with this roster. Isiah still has a lot of work left to do to field a more competetice squad ot there.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/4/2004  1:52 PM
IMO, like I stated before, Knicks were going to playoffs with Chaney
Lenny still has the month of April to make amends:

1- Win all 5 games

2- New York finishes .500

3- Lenny is awarded coach of the month for April

The way Lenny will have Knicks finish may ease the nay sayers.

Just imagine yourself returning from a 6 month vacation and you find out Knicks are still below .500 [without you knowing about Chaney being fired]....you first reaction has to be why is Chaney still coaching.

[Edited by - Bobby on 04/04/2004 13:57:36]
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
hDavis
Member: #494
USA
4/4/2004  2:07 PM
no one likes to hear the coach blame injurys as an excuse and lenny has.
ANOTHER Knick turnover! -Marv Albert
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
4/4/2004  2:29 PM
keeping in mind all the roster changes and injuries all season long, I think Lenny has done a decent job. NO BULL!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
OldFan
4/4/2004  4:43 PM
Posted by hDavis:

I agree I don't like the coach to blame injuries either. That I believe is a mistake on Lenny's part. That said thought that doesn't mean injuries don't effect the team.
OldFan
4/4/2004  4:44 PM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by OldFan:

Actually Oldfan, Stan Van Gundy took over 6 days from opening day. Riley at the last moment left and gave the coaching position to Stan. The problem with Lenny is that his practices are to lax and the players aren't properly prepared during practice. Thats been the grip with Lenny and the players from Toranto al ot of the player in Toranto which was hard hit from injuries pointed to lax workout as the cause of the injuries. Another problem is that Lenny hasn't implemented a system for the players to follow which I think is the most important thing in basketball. For instance the Lakers KNow they run the triangle offense, the Nets are a running and motion offense team, Kings are a running and motion offense team, Detroit is a half court and defensive team, Pacers are Half Court low post oriented team with defense. What are the Knicks? But Lenny is definitely an improvement over Chaney.

[Edited by - Vmart on 04/04/2004 11:01:29]

Good catch on Van Gundy - but I still believe given the limited number of practices the amount of team turn over and injuries no one could have gotten a system totally in place. It takes time to figure out what is going to work with your players and time to practice and refine.

As far as his history and what others have said about him - I'll ignore that and judge him on what he does here. THere are always plenty of critics.

[Edited by - oldfan on 04/04/2004 16:49:24]
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
4/4/2004  7:06 PM
Keep in mind that Stan VG was with the team the previous couple of seasons and knew the players very well. Lenny did not have that advantage.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
starbizzle
Member: #631
New Zealand
4/4/2004  7:40 PM
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by hDavis:

I agree I don't like the coach to blame injuries either. That I believe is a mistake on Lenny's part. That said thought that doesn't mean injuries don't effect the team.

FIRE LENNY!
it aint marbury its STARBURY!
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/4/2004  9:22 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Keep in mind that Stan VG was with the team the previous couple of seasons and knew the players very well. Lenny did not have that advantage.

Keep in mind Terry Porter, a Milwaukee native, was hired back in August, had no previous exposure with their players or system and finds no excuse for not playing .500 ball.

BTW, Bucks gutted their team and not their fans.......

[Edited by - Bobby on 04/04/2004 21:31:29]
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
4/4/2004  11:22 PM
i don't think we can truly judge lenny until midway through next season. is it distressing that we sometimes come out with no type of effort, yes but let's give it some time. if we're still struggling around the .500 mark next season with a healthy roster, then lenny is not the right man.

if h20 was healthy this year, i have no doubt in my mind we would be challengin for the 4th spot, maybe even pressing the nets. shandon has dissapointed this season and penny's contributions have been few and far between. i think a backup jumpshooting SG should be priority for us next season as insurance for h20.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
4/5/2004  8:21 AM
Posted by Bobby:
Posted by Andrew:

Keep in mind Terry Porter, a Milwaukee native, was hired back in August, had no previous exposure with their players or system and finds no excuse for not playing .500 ball.

BTW, Bucks gutted their team and not their fans.......

[Edited by - Bobby on 04/04/2004 21:31:29]

but he had a full training camp to implement his system. so when november rolled around they know what porter expects. wilkens came in mid-stream with players that were already frustrated and lifeless and gave them some hope. we will see in december. if they struggle then, lenny should be terminated. but considering he took over a new team with constant roster changes and injuries and we are in the playoff race is pretty good considering. people are going to point to other teams that changed coaches during the season but besides the celtics everyone else is struggling. with the celtics, the players know the coach because he was'nt hired OUTSIDE the organization where lenny had that disadvantage.
Lenny Wilkens

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy