Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/8/2013  12:45 PM
DurzoBlint wrote:
martin wrote:
DurzoBlint wrote:D'Antoni was a fool for releasing Brewer. The reason he cited was that his agent wanted a guarantee of minutes Brewer would see. Mike said since he couldn't make a guarantee, he decided it would be best to part way. REALLY? You release a player with a skill set you need (defense and energy) just because he wants play time. HE'S UNDER CONTRACT and since when do coaches care about that. Just about every player wants to play and Brewer's track record says he would not have become a distraction if kept.

In the end, the Knicks probably should have kept Brewer for the duration of the season after the Melo trade, but let's also be realistic about his chances of playing. Brewer is a SF who sometimes slides down to SG where he shoots a career 42% from from field and 29% from 3pt area. There is NO WAY he gets playing time with Fields, Melo, Shawne Williams on roster, all of those guys played really well that season. And if the Knicks DID like Brewer, they would have needed to match his rookie year contract of like $5M+ to keep him, which was REALLY unrealistic.

So, Walsh, not MDA, did the right thing and released the player so he could get minutes and show his skills for his next contract.

Brewer would have taken ALL of Landys playing time. He is not a shooter but neither is Landy and Brewer does everything else Landry does but better. He's an athletic freak and energy guy that always brings in on defense and just finds a way to score despite his poor shooting.

Nope. Landry was in his first year and hitting 3 point shots like he was Reggie Miller. Brewer would have gotten zero minutes behind Landry, Melo, Williams.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/8/2013  1:43 PM
martin wrote:
DurzoBlint wrote:
martin wrote:
DurzoBlint wrote:D'Antoni was a fool for releasing Brewer. The reason he cited was that his agent wanted a guarantee of minutes Brewer would see. Mike said since he couldn't make a guarantee, he decided it would be best to part way. REALLY? You release a player with a skill set you need (defense and energy) just because he wants play time. HE'S UNDER CONTRACT and since when do coaches care about that. Just about every player wants to play and Brewer's track record says he would not have become a distraction if kept.

In the end, the Knicks probably should have kept Brewer for the duration of the season after the Melo trade, but let's also be realistic about his chances of playing. Brewer is a SF who sometimes slides down to SG where he shoots a career 42% from from field and 29% from 3pt area. There is NO WAY he gets playing time with Fields, Melo, Shawne Williams on roster, all of those guys played really well that season. And if the Knicks DID like Brewer, they would have needed to match his rookie year contract of like $5M+ to keep him, which was REALLY unrealistic.

So, Walsh, not MDA, did the right thing and released the player so he could get minutes and show his skills for his next contract.

Brewer would have taken ALL of Landys playing time. He is not a shooter but neither is Landy and Brewer does everything else Landry does but better. He's an athletic freak and energy guy that always brings in on defense and just finds a way to score despite his poor shooting.

Nope. Landry was in his first year and hitting 3 point shots like he was Reggie Miller. Brewer would have gotten zero minutes behind Landry, Melo, Williams.

Thank you, the fable need not be perpetuated any further!

misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
5/8/2013  3:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/8/2013  3:23 PM
speaking of fables

Mike Woodson as tough guy?

“I’ll gauge J.R. as we go along. If I feel he’s not giving me anything, I can always turn to other guys on that bench. I feel good about the guys that come in off the bench. If he’s struggling and I feel the need, I got to pull him. I will do that as head coach. ‘’

“It wouldn’t be tough (to bench Earl) If he’s committed as a player and trying to win this thing, he’s got to understand. It’s coaching. He’ll get another shot. If he’s about team, he’ll understand and wait his turn again.’

Woodson said (JR) is still playing good defense and rebounding well. (Marc Berman)

The three day break will help everyone.

once a knick always a knick
misterearl
USA
5/8/2013  5:19 PM
Defense

IronWillGiroud wrote:
mrKnickShot wrote:
IronWillGiroud wrote:Scott Skiles or JVG,

make it happen Jimmy Dolans!

No to Skiles.

HELL YES TO JVG!!

Can it happen cross?

it's the perfect time for it, jvg instantly brings hard nose basketball, puts everyone in line and we slug it out deep into playoffs,

this is the only way

In Game 2, the Knicks’ magic tricks confused and flustered the Indiana Pacers, who turned the ball over 21 times and failed to decipher the swarming defense. The Pacers have struggled with turnovers this season and coughed up 16 of them in Game 1, but most were self-inflicted. In Game 2, the Knicks forced Pacers miscues by sending aggressive double teams to Roy Hibbert and David West in the post, and mobbing ball handlers on pick-and-rolls.

Who you gunna believe, that lyin' The Answer Man or Beckley Mason of The NYTimes?

3G4G
Member: #4333

5/8/2013  5:22 PM
Man I didn't even see this thread when trying to find evidence for Uptown of how a coach's head can be called on a platter and then anointed to the most high, same season....

rotflol!!!!!!

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/8/2013  5:27 PM
Nalod wrote:
DurzoBlint wrote:
VCoug wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
JamesKPolk wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:I get on Woodson from time to time, but it's only his first full season as Knicks head coach, with a roster that's been injured left and right. We're 1.0 games back of the 2nd seed and could win our Atlantic Division for the first time since 1993-1994, but yet, now it's fire coach Woodson? Bunch of love you while you're up before kicking you while you're down types of fans. Forget about the injuries in which he's had to coach through thus far, but what about the fact that players such as Felton, Kidd, Pablo, *Brewer*, White, Copeland, Camby, Kurt, Rasheed and now Kenyon in which weren't even on our Knicks roster last season? 10 players. But yet we're only 1.0 games back of the two seed. Yea, o.k.

Glen "Puppet" Grunwald himself said we haven't had any more injuries than other teams (which is true) and also said teams adjusted to us and we need to change our gameplan. When the mute puppet GM that everyone loves is saying this then there are no excuses.

Grunwald has done a much better job than Walsh in my opinion. With the Knicks cap situation, manipulating contracts on so the Knicks had a minimum cash commitment on guys like Gadz, Jorts and Jordan was brilliant. Finding talents at the rookie free agent minimum that can come in and contribute and have a ton of experience in Prigs and Cope was inovative. Trading Brewer for a future second round pick and trade exception to free up a roster spot when the Knicks appeared to have no options was minimally resourceful. I don't see Grunwald as a puppet. Unlike Isiah and Walsh he is a behind the scenes guy. That doesn't make him a puppet. I hope you are not implying that he is a puppet because he understood the new cba and didn't match Lin's poison pill contract.

Jorts and Jordan were both drafted in the 2nd round by Walsh, that's why they had a minimum cash commitment not because of anything Grunwald did. Prigioni was a guy that Walsh and the Knicks had been trying to bring in for awhile but D'Antoni said he didn't want him. Trading Brewer for a 2nd rounder? Who cares, it was either that or he was going to be bought out. As for Lin's poison pill we'll see what happens. If he continues to improve and we're over the luxury tax anyway then it will turn out to be a terrible decision.

D'Antoni was a fool for releasing Brewer. The reason he cited was that his agent wanted a guarantee of minutes Brewer would see. Mike said since he couldn't make a guarantee, he decided it would be best to part way. REALLY? You release a player with a skill set you need (defense and energy) just because he wants play time. HE'S UNDER CONTRACT and since when do coaches care about that. Just about every player wants to play and Brewer's track record says he would not have become a distraction if kept.

As for Lin......I don't want to get into a debate about him but, had we kept him we would not have Felton who is proving to be THE superior player. Also Lin's play this season makes me doubt he'd be worthy anywhere near that kind of money. He may get better but, if we had him this season, we'd likely be pissed at him and there would be a million "I told you so" threads.

Didn't we have shump? Brewer a small forward? or shooting guard? He was cap fodder.

would he be getting Shumps minutes? Would we have gotten JR if Brewer was still on roster last year?

Lamenting has its boundries. Best left in the rearview mirror.

Knicks didn't have Shump. Shump and Jorts were drafted that summer.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
misterearl
USA
5/8/2013  5:29 PM
Excellent Observation Stolen Verbatim By The NYT

dimicech wrote:i honestly don't think Woodson's defensive scheme is the problem. The constant switch could be a very effective defense its just getting all 5 on the floor to commit to the scheme that has been the problem. Every player has to be on the ball for it to work and Melo, JR take plays off. Kidd just doesn't have it anymore but when these guys all come together we've shown we can play championship caliber defense. This scheme covers weaknesses as it allows players like Felton and chandler who aren't necessarily good on ball defenders to get immediate help when beat. Just need to be a little quicker with he help defense.

The Knicks’ coordinated, scrambling defense in Game 2 was effective, but more for how it executed than for the ingenuity of the scheme. The Pacers will no doubt respond Saturday with their own adjustments. For instance, sending more cutters to the basket when the Knicks are rotating will make it tougher to cut off passes to the perimeter.

If turnovers are the Pacers’ fatal flaw, inconsistency has been the bane of the Knicks’ defense all season. Having surrendered home-court advantage, it will take a string of disciplined, intelligent games to overcome the Pacers, whose top-ranked defense has not missed a beat all season.

Game 2 offers a blueprint for how the Knicks’ defense can disrupt and befuddle the turnover-prone Pacers, but even fulfilling it is not a guarantee of victory. The Pacers still found good shots when they were able to elude the double teams. Despite 15 turnovers through the first three quarters, the Pacers were right in the game until their catastrophic meltdown in the fourth.

“They ramped up the pressure a little bit,” George said. “Still, it was a winnable game.” - NYT

dimicech - you are the mo f'n man

Dare I say the Woody Watch has started?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy