[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah's Worst Move
Author Thread
LJ2
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #239
USA
4/3/2004  11:56 AM
Picking up Lenny Wilkens. I think a lot of us were led into believing that this coaching change would work after his first couple victories here, but that was just fool's gold. We have a good set of players here, but no direction from the coaching staff. The Knicks need an emotional Xs and Os coach. I hope Isiah realizes he made a mistake with Lenny (and his 3 or 4 year? contract) and replaces him with Doc Rivers in the offseason.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/3/2004  12:03 PM
I guess Riles must suck too cause Stan VG is doing a bang up job with his guys.

- lot of injuries to key players
- new coach, new system, new PG after mid season.
- how do we know it's not a genius game plan that's poorly executed?

I give until all-star break next season with a health roster to put my opinion of Lenny in stone.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
simrud
Member: #474
USA
4/3/2004  12:20 PM
Lenny has proved to be one of the worst motivators our there, maybe as bad as Chaney. The team comes out totally flat way to many times. We have lost games that we had no business loosing. I don't care what you say but betting blown out by a Net team w/out Kidd and Martin is absolutley inexcusable and a 100% on the coach. I mean if we lost a close one, but blownout by a team that is a lottery team, considering that is what the Nets are w/out Kidd????
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/3/2004  12:28 PM
I'd still prefer to have Lenny over Chaney.

I'm with martin on this one, give him til the break next season. If things dont turn around, I would love to bring in Doc Rivers, or even Byron Scott for that matter.
LJ2
Member: #239
USA
4/3/2004  12:41 PM
Posted by martin:

I guess Riles must suck too cause Stan VG is doing a bang up job with his guys.

- lot of injuries to key players
- new coach, new system, new PG after mid season.
- how do we know it's not a genius game plan that's poorly executed?

I give until all-star break next season with a health roster to put my opinion of Lenny in stone.

We gave similar excuses for Chaney's poor performance. Chaney always used to make excuses for himself, and now Lenny's doing the same thing. (Only visible difference between the 2 coaches is that Lenny likes to give the younger guys some burn (which I'm all for)).

Hate to revisit old wounds, but that's one thing I liked bout Jeff Van Gundy...he rarely made excuses for himself. His signature line when players were down was "We have enough talent to win." That's the attitude the Knicks need in a coach.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/3/2004  12:48 PM
Did Stan Van Gundy get a training camp with his team? NO! look where they are now. We should be fighting for that 4th seed, if only we had some heart.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
4/3/2004  12:58 PM
We all agreed till the beginnning that it was not the best choice.

Lenny was chosen cause IT loves the spotlight and doesn't want to share his toy.

Even with that, players should have showed heart. We're not a team made of rookies. We're a vet team, with depth and good players at each position, fighting against a hated team.

If our guys are not motivated by that, i truly dunno what would they play theirheart out for.

sad.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/3/2004  1:04 PM
yeah the problem is our veterans names are Shandon Anderson and Kurt Thomas
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
4/3/2004  1:56 PM
Yea I really don't think any of us were too thrilled when Isiah announced Lenny as the new coach. I wanted Frattelo because he would not let this team get away with playing like crap. We have the talent, but we don't have the motivation.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
4/3/2004  3:37 PM
Riles resigning from coaching the way he did was one of the best moves for the Heat. SVG at least has Miami motivated to win and the Queens connection [NY south] is making good NBA noise. Finally, I’m happy to see Skip getting his due.

What I cant understand is when Rick Carlisle can turn a bunch of non all-stars from 30-52 record to consecutive 52-30 seasons and we have a Hall of Fame Coach/Player in Wilkens achieving less with 20 times the knowledge, wisdom and experience?

Now Who’s zoomin’ Who
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/3/2004  4:35 PM
It's three mistakes so far:
1) Giving KT the contract extension
2) Mistreatment of Mutombo (slow as a turtle but still the best defensive presence the Knicks have)
3) Not looking hard enough for Chaney's replacement. (Wilkens is a mistake but still better than Chaney)
starbizzle
Member: #631
New Zealand
4/3/2004  6:23 PM
Posted by Vmart:

It's three mistakes so far:
1) Giving KT the contract extension
2) Mistreatment of Mutombo (slow as a turtle but still the best defensive presence the Knicks have)
3) Not looking hard enough for Chaney's replacement. (Wilkens is a mistake but still better than Chaney)

i wish we had fratello, but it was admitted by stephon that steph wanted wilkens. on every move isiah made, he consulted w/ steph first.. i'm surprised mr. coney island legend who "was so happy to be here" and placed his trade to ny the top 3 thrilling events of his life, sooo lifeless these past couple games... even when he ****s up he doesnt even show emotion and anger at himself for a split secondn like the big dogs w/ heart, kobe, tmac, garnett... talent doesnt make them act like that... HEART DOES!
it aint marbury its STARBURY!
EnYKnickFan
Member: #600
USA
4/3/2004  6:37 PM
Wilkens better then Chaney YES! Does he fit in the team NO! Like LJ said hes just fools gold.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
4/4/2004  3:23 AM
You girls get excited way too quickly.

He took a ragged, ravaged team out of contention in the middle of the season and made the playoffs. He's doing fine, considering the circumstances.

Martin's right-- to early to call.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/4/2004  10:33 AM
Posted by TRU:

You girls get excited way too quickly.

He took a ragged, ravaged team out of contention in the middle of the season and made the playoffs. He's doing fine, considering the circumstances.

Martin's right-- to early to call.

I don't know man I think they were headed for the same record with Chaney. Its just that the EC is so bad that by default the KNicks are going to the playoffs. To me I still don't feel like the KNicks earned their spot in the playoffs. Its been two years and I will take anything that somewhat resembles a step in the right direction. I would have loved to see the Knicks get the 4th spot and get home court but they are way to inconsistent and poor coaching has a lot to do with it. The talent is there but the motivation seems to be lacking and I leave that to the coach to motivate. You rarely find players in the league that are self motivated these days. Any ways I do believe that Wilkens is an upgrade to Chaney who isn't, but I still think that going into next season with Wilkens is a mistake.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/4/2004  10:52 AM
What does the coach have to do with guys putting the ball in the basket?

I feel Wilkens has been doing a decent job. If you need a coach that has to will a group of men to play a game then you are in trouble.

I think Lenny brings class to the organization. I especially like the conversations I see on the sidelines. Lenny pulls guys to the side just as he subs them out. Constant dialog between coach and player. That's all you can ask. If anyone's noticed the Knicks offense looks totally different than Chaney's or anything the Knicks have seen since the 80's.

With all the trades and injuries....what do you want Lenny to do? Find a different scapegoat!!!!

The players play.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
bernard
Member: #475
4/5/2004  9:16 AM
Lenny's test, like everyone else's, will be in the playoffs. When you get the same team for 4 out of 7, coaching plays a big role. He'll probably have a few days off to prepare (?). Let's see what kind of gameplan he puts together and then what kind of adjustments he makes as the series progresses. Assuming we're going against the Nets, we should have an advantage at the coaching position. Let's see if that becomes evident.

I'm not expecting the Knicks to win in the 1st round. I'd like to see us take at least 2 games and play a competitive series though. Want there to be some success to build on for next year. We need Lenny to step up.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
4/5/2004  9:48 AM
Posted by Vmart:

I don't know man I think they were headed for the same record with Chaney. Its just that the EC is so bad that by default the KNicks are going to the playoffs. To me I still don't feel like the KNicks earned their spot in the playoffs. Its been two years and I will take anything that somewhat resembles a step in the right direction. I would have loved to see the Knicks get the 4th spot and get home court but they are way to inconsistent and poor coaching has a lot to do with it. The talent is there but the motivation seems to be lacking and I leave that to the coach to motivate. You rarely find players in the league that are self motivated these days. Any ways I do believe that Wilkens is an upgrade to Chaney who isn't, but I still think that going into next season with Wilkens is a mistake.

I feel you. But, we've only had this starting lineup for 12 games. I don't think these players lack motivation, just familiarity.

And I'd dissagree with the idea that the Knicks made the playoffs "by default." The had to scrape more than a few important games out in order to be in the position they're in, under difficult circumstances (injuries, management/coaching/personel changes, deaths of family members, alcoholism, Don Chaney).

Their are fifteen teams in the Eastern Conference, and if the Knicks settle into 7th place, they will have beat out 8 of them. On those rosters, there's a lot of talent-- names like Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, Allan Iverson, Labron James and Tracey McGrady. All except Pierce will be on vacation next week .
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
Isiah's Worst Move

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy