[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Thread: Knicks @Wizards Wed 7:00..5-0 gunsanity!!!!
Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/5/2013  9:25 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Alan Hahn‏@alanhahn

For those perpetually worried about next year: #Knicks have Early Birds on JR, a first round pick and the Mid-Level Exception.

Don't think the Knicks have the full $5.5mil MLE because they are over the cap

Only $3mil LLE
Wiki:

Mid-level exception
Once a year, teams can use a mid-level exception (MLE) to sign a player to a contract for a specified maximum amount. The amount of the MLE and its duration depend on the team's cap status. The MLE is $5 million for a duration of four years for teams that are over the cap either before or after the signing, but did not pay a luxury tax in the previous season. Teams without cap room that paid tax in the previous season have an MLE of $3 million with a three-year duration. Teams with cap room, previously ineligible for the MLE, have a new MLE of $2.5 million with a two-year duration. The MLE is frozen at the stated levels through the 2012–13 season, after which it increases by 3% per season.[5]
Before the 2011 CBA, the MLE was equal to the average NBA salary for all teams over the cap. Teams with cap room were previously ineligible for the MLE.[5] The Mid-Level Exception for the 2008–09 NBA season was $5.585 million.[12] The MLE was $5.854 million for the 2009–10 NBA regular season.

Bi-annual exception
The bi-annual exception was used to sign any free agent to a contract starting at $1.672 million. Like the mid-level exception, the bi-annual exception was also split among more than one player, and was used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 8% per year. This exception was referred to as the "$1 million exception" in the 1999 CBA, although it was valued at $1 million for only the first year of the agreement.
An example of the bi-annual exception was the Los Angeles Lakers' signing of Karl Malone to a contract before the 2003–04 season.
The exception was eliminated for luxury tax paying teams following the 2011 NBA lockout as many high spending teams were using this as a tool to gain top paid players.

not having the full MLE would stink but that's still plenty of ammo... next year's team has a chance to be much better than this year's. that's all you can really ask for, no?

Opposite. Kidd, Camby, Kurt and Sheed likely retire and we can only pay JR up to $5.5mil. if a team offers 7 or 8 he is gone. This is the year to win it all since this team doesn't have youth

So your argument is that the Knicks get worse because Camby, Kurt, and Sheed retire... and you're going to assume Kidd retires? Really? Who knew that Camby, Kurt, and Sheed suddenly became the most important guys on the Knicks roster...

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/5/2013  9:33 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

For those perpetually worried about next year: #Knicks have Early Birds on JR, a first round pick and the Mid-Level Exception.

Only $3mil LLE
Wiki:

Mid-level exception
Once a year, teams can use a mid-level exception (MLE) to sign a player to a contract for a specified maximum amount. The amount of the MLE and its duration depend on the team's cap status. The MLE is $5 million for a duration of four years for teams that are over the cap either before or after the signing, but did not pay a luxury tax in the previous season. Teams without cap room that paid tax in the previous season have an MLE of $3 million with a three-year duration. Teams with cap room, previously ineligible for the MLE, have a new MLE of $2.5 million with a two-year duration. The MLE is frozen at the stated levels through the 2012–13 season, after which it increases by 3% per season.[5]
Before the 2011 CBA, the MLE was equal to the average NBA salary for all teams over the cap. Teams with cap room were previously ineligible for the MLE.[5] The Mid-Level Exception for the 2008–09 NBA season was $5.585 million.[12] The MLE was $5.854 million for the 2009–10 NBA regular season.

Bi-annual exception
The bi-annual exception was used to sign any free agent to a contract starting at $1.672 million. Like the mid-level exception, the bi-annual exception was also split among more than one player, and was used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 8% per year. This exception was referred to as the "$1 million exception" in the 1999 CBA, although it was valued at $1 million for only the first year of the agreement.
An example of the bi-annual exception was the Los Angeles Lakers' signing of Karl Malone to a contract before the 2003–04 season.
The exception was eliminated for luxury tax paying teams following the 2011 NBA lockout as many high spending teams were using this as a tool to gain top paid players.

not having the full MLE would stink but that's still plenty of ammo... next year's team has a chance to be much better than this year's. that's all you can really ask for, no?

Opposite. Kidd, Camby, Kurt and Sheed likely retire and we can only pay JR up to $5.5mil. if a team offers 7 or 8 he is gone. This is the year to win it all since this team doesn't have youth

So your argument is that the Knicks get worse because Camby, Kurt, and Sheed retire... and you're going to assume Kidd retires? Really? Who knew that Camby, Kurt, and Sheed suddenly became the most important guys on the Knicks roster...

Depends on who we add with the $3mil LLE)whoever we sign to replace JR won't be as good, Vet minimum deals and late 1st round pick.

Not much there to drastically improve from this years roster

NYKMentality
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4385

2/5/2013  9:49 PM
If anything, we'll become a stronger team if Kurt, Camby and Sheed retire.

Think about it, Kurt has missed 18 games, Rahssed's missed 26 games and Camby's missed 32 games.

But yet, we're still less than 1/2 a game behind Miami for first place of the Eastern Conference.

We replace those three veterans with three players in which can actually stay healthy and/or contribute? And it's an upgrade. Let's be honest here, the likes of Rasheed, Camby and Kurt Thomas haven't done all that much here in 2012-2013... They wouldn't be missed moving forward to say the least.

Now Kidd and Pablo? They could be missed.

gunsnewing
USA
2/5/2013  10:05 PM
Its going to be tough to replace them with younger legs only having the

$3mil LLE

and $1mil Vet minimum deals

SupremeCommander

2/5/2013  10:17 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Only $3mil LLE
Wiki:

Mid-level exception

Bi-annual exception

Depends on who we add with the $3mil LLE)whoever we sign to replace JR won't be as good, Vet minimum deals and late 1st round pick.

Not much there to drastically improve from this years roster

losing JR would hurt but I'm not going to assume he's gone. I'm more okay with that assumption than assuming Kidd is going to leave though. Did I miss something though - I thought KT and Sheed were LLE guys and Camby was traded for LLE type guys.

gunsnewing
USA
2/5/2013  10:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/5/2013  10:30 PM
Sheed & Kurt Veteran Minimum $1,352,181

Brewer $1,069,509 Vet Min

Camby $4,590,338

Kidd $$3,090,000 LLE

White, Pablo & Cope under $1mil

We are on the books for $76,404,547 next year nearly $20mil over the cap. No MLE only LLE

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
2/5/2013  10:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/5/2013  10:36 PM
You know it's still called the MLE, it just called the tax payers MLE, who ever tweeted that isn't wrong.

There was actually a Lower Level exception(LLE) which is half of the MLE 2.5 that is now giving to teams under the cap. So the LLE doesn't even exist even more.

It would be easy just to say we probably won't get the full MLE or non-tax payer MLE.

I don't see how everything will go wrong for the knicks either. JR could sign for the 30 million dollar contract he has set himself up for and if Kidd/Camby were going to retire they could let us trade their 7million dollar combined deals before they do. Why does everything have come up snake eyes???

"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
gunsnewing
USA
2/5/2013  10:38 PM
Gotcha
Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
2/5/2013  10:39 PM
Also if players retire, I believe their money comes off the books.

If the knicks start the off-season under the the Luxury Tax they would get the full MLE but be hard capped at 4 million above the Luxury tax (apron) if they used it.

So it's either one or the other, knicks won't be in a lose/lose situation.

"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
SupremeCommander

2/5/2013  10:42 PM
Anji wrote:Also if players retire, I believe their money comes off the books.

If the knicks start the off-season under the the Luxury Tax they would get the full MLE but be hard capped at 4 million above the Luxury tax (apron) if they used it.

So it's either one or the other, knicks won't be in a lose/lose situation.

yup

and how quickly we forget the monuments this board erected for Grunwald after each of his incredibly creative offseasons (at least pre-Lin defection)

CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
2/5/2013  10:43 PM
Anji wrote:You know it's still called the MLE, it just called the tax payers MLE, who ever tweeted that isn't wrong.

There was actually a Lower Level exception(LLE) which is half of the MLE 2.5 that is now giving to teams under the cap. So the LLE doesn't even exist even more.

It would be easy just to say we probably won't get the full MLE or non-tax payer MLE.

I don't see how everything will go wrong for the knicks either. JR could sign for the 30 million dollar contract he has set himself up for and if Kidd/Camby were going to retire they could let us trade their 7million dollar combined deals before they do. Why does everything have come up snake eyes???

I don't think Kidd is retiring. I also wouldn't count on Kurt retiring. Kurt said (Woodson show?) in an interview that he wants to keep playing as long as he is effective. I am really not sure about Camby and Sheed. However, with a healthy Amare I think the Knicks are not nearly as big depleted as they were when he, Camby and Sheed were out.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
SupremeCommander

2/5/2013  10:56 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Anji wrote:You know it's still called the MLE, it just called the tax payers MLE, who ever tweeted that isn't wrong.

I don't think Kidd is retiring. I also wouldn't count on Kurt retiring. Kurt said (Woodson show?) in an interview that he wants to keep playing as long as he is effective. I am really not sure about Camby and Sheed. However, with a healthy Amare I think the Knicks are not nearly as big depleted as they were when he, Camby and Sheed were out.

the Knicks are better off with Amar'e than without him? whoa - I thought the Knicks were supposed to be better off without him (according to a certain slice of crazy on this board)?!?

gunsnewing
USA
2/5/2013  10:58 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

the Knicks are better off with Amar'e than without him? whoa - I thought the Knicks were supposed to be better off without him (according to a certain slice of crazy on this board)?!?

I don't think that was anyone here but some idiots in the media

SupremeCommander

2/5/2013  11:01 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I don't think that was anyone here but some idiots in the media

I don't mean to make it sound like a consensus but that element was certainly prevalent here

gunsnewing
USA
2/5/2013  11:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/5/2013  11:25 PM
I think Kidd & Kurt retires

Sheed too probably

Camby prob not

SupremeCommander

2/5/2013  11:10 PM
gunsnewing wrote:I think Kidd retires

Sheed too probably

Camby prob not

what are you basing this on

gunsnewing
USA
2/5/2013  11:25 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:I think Kidd retires

Sheed too probably

Camby prob not

what are you basing this on

Age and injuries I think

AnubisADL
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #2771
USA
2/5/2013  11:43 PM
If we keep Smith then I will consider it a great summer.

Starting at 5.3 million with a max year deal would be good if we offered a trade kicker and early opt out. I'm surprised he stayed for 2.5 million this year.

NY Knicks - Retirement home for players and GMs
SupremeCommander

2/6/2013  12:04 AM
AnubisADL wrote:If we keep Smith then I will consider it a great summer.

Starting at 5.3 million with a max year deal would be good if we offered a trade kicker and early opt out. I'm surprised he stayed for 2.5 million this year.

I was surprised too - but he's got a rep as a knucklehead and he's from around here. plus, I think he and his agent were smart to take a short deal to play a key role at guard on a team with an awesome front court. he would have been kicking himself if he signed a 4 year $16 to 20 million type of deal

IronWillGiroud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4359

2/6/2013  1:45 PM
let's do it
The Will, check out the Official Home of Will's GameDay Art: http://tinyurl.com/thewillgameday
Game Thread: Knicks @Wizards Wed 7:00..5-0 gunsanity!!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy