[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is Sweetney overhyped?
Author Thread
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
4/1/2004  9:51 AM
I agree with the LJ comparison actually - more than the Oak comparison. He reminds me a lot of LJ - he just cant drop the tre bomb on a team and make them sit at home watching the rest of the playoffs on TV. Who knows - maybe the kid will learn
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
AUTOADVERT
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
4/1/2004  10:08 AM
If we're going to start comparing Sweets to other players, don't think LJ or Oak works. LJ in his prime was a slasher. Oak never had any hops. He got things done with his strength and attitude. Both of those guys were more about upper body strength than lower body strength. I see Sweets more in the Charles Barkley mold. I'm not saying he's got nearly the game Barkley had or ever will, but he's got the same unusual mixture of a big, hulking, not particularly muscular looking body combined with unexpected quickness and hops. It's a great combo for rebounding, and quite a bit more important than size.

Sweets has more offensive game than he's shown. With more minutes and touches, we'll see some impressive post moves. Keep hearing coaches raving about how he establishes position on the blocks. He can go wherever he wants. That's rare.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
4/1/2004  11:31 AM
the one thing that impress me about sweetney is his hands. when a rebound comes his way his hands are like a venus flytrap. he grabs it with authority and don't let go. that is impressive on this roster since i have seen constantly over the years people with stone hands continueing to drop rebounds or let tht ball go in crucial situations ( harrington, weatherspoon, kt, etc.).
RonRon
Member: #246
4/1/2004  4:16 PM
my point is not to bash sweetney, but at 6'7 there are many things u cant do as a power forward. Be a a shotblocking presence, good defender (gotta give up height and position for ez layups/dunks many times), and possibly other stuff that may affect the game. My point is that we will need to aquire a pretty good center not to bash sweetney.

Barkley is a PF that did his job, but the players now are bigger, stronger, and more atheletic at all positions. I actually sweetney play LJs game in NY with more athletic ability. and ofcourse not the 3pt shot which LJ developed in the last year or 2 in NY
ARES
Member: #406
4/2/2004  1:50 PM
This guy TRu is absolutely right, and if any one is going to be wrong about a topic like this it's going to be Eny spree, TKF an Martin. Three of the worst talent evaluators ever. Playa was annoying but he knew talent more than these three. I predict in months yall will see from these three some of the worse talent evaulations ever. CASE in point, Eny spree has been talking up Shammond for Years, Tkf hates dirk and kenyon, thanks marbury is a franchise player, meanwhles he thinks lampe is a dirk clone from one summer league game (this guy is nuts) and martin was hyping up Darko to no end at the beginning of the season. I would always ask did he ever see Darko play, his response was somthing like he had more faith in the insider reporters than he had in me.

Funny, martin i mean who knows if i am a insider reporter.

Sweetney has been playing spot duty and playing against bench players fellas, the knicks have been playing mostly eastern teams lately and there is a lack of fowards in the conference. Save the Sweetney oakley comparisons. OAkley was a rock on the boards as a Starter, and played against the mchales,barkleys and malones. i want to see sweetney make a start against Duncan.
NEW YORK, NEW YORK BIG CITY OF DREAMS, BUT EVERYTHING IN NEW YORK AINT ALWAYS WHAT IT SEEMS
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/2/2004  2:20 PM
Sweets is 6'8''

problably listed at 6'9'' though
Stevo718
Member: #559
4/2/2004  6:51 PM
Nope... Sweets is listed as 6' 8" but he is really 6' 7".

Is he the next Barkley? Mason? HAHA.

Can he play SF?

kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
4/4/2004  2:03 AM
Sweetney is a loooong ways away, he needs a ton of work in the gym with aguirre and even jabaar. That said, he has more offensive rebounding instincts, and better hands than anyone else on the team - so we all go gaga over him. I like him a lot, but he has no offensive game other than the putback. If he has a post game, i haven't seen him desplay in in the NBA yet. He needs to develop a couple of post moves and then you'll see him getting all the backup PF minutes.

I want to believe he will be better than Clarence Weatherspoon, but so far that's who he reminds me most of. Minus the jumpshot. But that's fine. He looks promising, and if he isn't our PF of the future he does make for a nice trading chip, along with Frank Williams.

DerMarr, on the other hand is a definite keeper.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
4/4/2004  3:16 AM
Posted by ARES:

This guy TRu is absolutely right, and if any one is going to be wrong about a topic like this it's going to be Eny spree, TKF an Martin. Three of the worst talent evaluators ever. Playa was annoying but he knew talent more than these three. I predict in months yall will see from these three some of the worse talent evaulations ever. CASE in point, Eny spree has been talking up Shammond for Years, Tkf hates dirk and kenyon, thanks marbury is a franchise player, meanwhles he thinks lampe is a dirk clone from one summer league game (this guy is nuts) and martin was hyping up Darko to no end at the beginning of the season. I would always ask did he ever see Darko play, his response was somthing like he had more faith in the insider reporters than he had in me.

Funny, martin i mean who knows if i am a insider reporter.

Sweetney has been playing spot duty and playing against bench players fellas, the knicks have been playing mostly eastern teams lately and there is a lack of fowards in the conference. Save the Sweetney oakley comparisons. OAkley was a rock on the boards as a Starter, and played against the mchales,barkleys and malones. i want to see sweetney make a start against Duncan.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
TRU
Member: #196
USA
4/4/2004  3:18 AM
Posted by ARES:

Word.

I mean, Sweetney could be the truth. But right now, he isn't even good enough to deserve a thread this long.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
Is Sweetney overhyped?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy